Revan and Canon Limbo

Winterfox53
20 posts Member
edited November 2018
Ok. So we all know that the EU was undone by Disney and that they are now cherry picking what they want from the Legends. No surprise there. But now Disney is running into some canonical issues, one of which being Revan. Revan is half canon. The Mandalorian Wars are 100% canon. It was mentioned in both the Clone Wars and Rebels. But the Jedi Civil War isn't. If you go on Wookieepedia, it says that Taris was "Destroyed thousands of years ago by unknown means". But Revan was a general in the Mandalorian Wars, so he has to exist... Right? And In the Last Jedi novelization, it mentioned an ancient Jedi crusader who is theorized to be Revan. And now KotOR are in Galaxy of Heroes... Has anyone found any definitive evidence of whether KotOR was recanonized? Personally, I think it should be, since it really doesn't conflict with new canon at all, but it's Disney. Who knows anymore. I googled it, but it wasn't very helpful.

Replies

• The EU was never official canon. There were so many continuity issues and conflicting stories and retcons throughout the EU. Lucas completely used a few things from the EU in the prequels and in the Clone Wars series but he disregarded the vast majority of it.
  • Wow, really? Huh, did not know that. So Disney just gave it an official canon. Interesting. @Vos_Landeck
  • The only thing I can think of for KotOR being used is that EA owns the rights because they own bioware?
  • I assumed they added KotOR cause of fan demand
  • Ok. So we all know that the EU was undone by Disney and that they are now cherry picking what they want from the Legends. No surprise there. But now Disney is running into some canonical issues, one of which being Revan. Revan is half canon. The Mandalorian Wars are 100% canon. It was mentioned in both the Clone Wars and Rebels. But the Jedi Civil War isn't. If you go on Wookieepedia, it says that Taris was "Destroyed thousands of years ago by unknown means". But Revan was a general in the Mandalorian Wars, so he has to exist... Right? And In the Last Jedi novelization, it mentioned an ancient Jedi crusader who is theorized to be Revan. And now KotOR are in Galaxy of Heroes... Has anyone found any definitive evidence of whether KotOR was recanonized? Personally, I think it should be, since it really doesn't conflict with new canon at all, but it's Disney. Who knows anymore. I googled it, but it wasn't very helpful.

It's not officially canon, but elements of it are implicitly canon. The people writing Star Wars now are big fans of the KOTOR games (especially Dave Filoni) and they've been gradually working elements of the story into canon products. But they always stop short of explicitly making the game canon, and especially explicitly canonizing Revan.

There may be specific reasons behind this - not the least of which is that if they do 'do' Revan they'd want full control to modify the story as they see fit. I suspect however, a big factor of the never say Revan effect, is that EA owns some dominion over the character and that puts a hard stop on officially integrating him into the universe.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Revan was almost cononized in CLone Wars, but his scene was cut.

The pendant in The Last Jedi (red sith lightsaber crystal on a necklace in Luke's hut) was hinted at being Revan's.