Too many new characters... a whole new level of grind

Prev1
Smapty
1260 posts Member
There was a time when we begged for new characters...

(yes it was years ago... but I still remember)

It’s become too much... it’s impossible to keep up with how often they are being put out...

...and now it’s become expected that “the community” wants new characters or some upgrade to old ones to happen every week...

It’s either blow a bunch of cash and get anything and everything they throw at us...

Or it’s farm some faction to play catch up... and then it’s obselete by the time your investment pays off...

There’s been so many new characters and factions to work on that it’s getting to the point of ridiculousness...

I mean I understand making a curve for higher end players to shoot for...

But it’s going too far and too fast for even the most most devoted to be willing to put up with...

Am I wrong in this conclusion?

Do you agree or disagree?

Tell me why...

Replies

• Options
    I disagree. I hear where you’re coming from, but I disagree. If you want to stay on top in arena, then you have to stay ahead of the meta... but with more characters released, all the old characters are still relevant in many areas of the game and new characters become relevant in other areas as well. There will always be whales and there will always be F2P. But if they stopped releasing characters somewhat often... everyone would eventually catch up.
  • Gair
    616 posts Member
    Options
    I can agree in the reflection of how entire teams are required with little time to prepare. I could disagree if they were blunt with an extended road-map and release times coinciding with something manageable.
  • Options
    .... and don't forget that they announced new Original Trilogy content! Ahahah!
    4 more KOTOR characters went!?
  • Options
    Well I think making new chatacters’ speed is not a problem.
    But I think we need more contents like Hoth TB, or Jakku TW for lots of characters who cannot be used on arena or raids.
    Such as New TB based on Clone wars or New raid... or... Fleet Raid after launching more fleets.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Jeffrome wrote: »
    I disagree. I hear where you’re coming from, but I disagree. If you want to stay on top in arena, then you have to stay ahead of the meta... but with more characters released, all the old characters are still relevant in many areas of the game and new characters become relevant in other areas as well. There will always be whales and there will always be F2P. But if they stopped releasing characters somewhat often... everyone would eventually catch up.

If you didn’t invest in Revan then you are F’d in arena currently....

Sure some teams can beat them...

sometimes... 😬

But that’s the current “meta”...

If you don’t invest in the next ridiculous character to replace Revan as the top dog... then you are going to fall behind again

But who’s that going to be?

Darth Revan? Reworked Tuskans?

Other factions are surely great in some other aspects of the game... scoundrels, BH, droids, etc...

But are they worth the investment? (god I hope so... since mine are all awesome :)
  • Options
    Smapty wrote: »
    Jeffrome wrote: »

sometimes... 😬

But that’s the current “meta”...

If you don’t invest in the next ridiculous character to replace Revan as the top dog... then you are going to fall behind again

But who’s that going to be?

Darth Revan? Reworked Tuskans?

Other factions are surely great in some other aspects of the game... scoundrels, BH, droids, etc...

But are they worth the investment? (god I hope so... since mine are all awesome :)

If you didn't invest in Revan you are also F'd in territory wars...
  • Options
    I don't understand why they make new events if still you can bit them easly by old squad like ns. In first time I dont get revan couse I dont want pay for him, in next event I will ready for total free. Is revan change meta? Think no. You can still bit him other squads, so it's only waste cash.
  • Options
    Quite a few of the new characters are easily ignored, so i don't necessarily see it as a problem at the moment. To be honest, i've got more characters at atleast g11 than i would have ever thought possible (slightly more than half of the total amount of toons ingame).
  • Options
    Xx1xx2xx2 wrote: »
    I don't understand why they make new events if still you can bit them easly by old squad like ns. In first time I dont get revan couse I dont want pay for him, in next event I will ready for total free. Is revan change meta? Think no. You can still bit him other squads, so it's only waste cash.

So you’re at the top of the arena right now then? I’m also detecting a South-East Asian accent from the way you write.

• Options
    I think most of people here are playing for some time. If I was to start this game from scratch now, I simply wouldn't, because there's no catchup mechanics.
  • Options
    Well, I'll put it in short: the system works and the main spenders, which are the main concern of the Devs and their source for ideas, seem to be able to keep up. I know it's hard to digest, but they couldn't care less about who doesn't spend. The spenders are the shepherd dogs, the f2ps are the sheeps. You lose a couple sheeps, no problem, they are many and they'll replace the losses by themselves in some time. You lose the shepherd dog, you risk to lose chunks of the herd if not your whole sheeps affair.
  • WookieWookie
    1460 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It certainly depends on when you started playing. I started near launch, and currently only have two hard node farms to complete and one cantina node. In actually hoping they release the BH ships on hard nodes with the Marquees

pfm960pj8x9m.png
  • Xx1xx2xx2
    143 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    kshark wrote: »

So you’re at the top of the arena right now then? I’m also detecting a South-East Asian accent from the way you write.

In fleet yes top 1, in arena top 50. But I think it's not matter. I have all events characters excluded: chewie and revan. And only couse when chewie comes 1 time I dont have done any of bh, only bossk, and revan couse I won't spend Crystal's for buying shard. But I have jtr, cls. And think its little not unfair when debs gives new characters like revan and can easly destroy team like traya. I dont say spend money to new toon bad, but what next, after next 2-3 months another revan? Later malak? Later another hero. I think they should give better balance in game to all faction. For example now I like play with bh, but they total suck vs. Jedis, I think jedis now total overpowered that what they do with gmy total misunderstanding. Just wondering what next? New crazy anakin ,windu? Droid reworks who can destroy every faction?

Ofc. I total forgot about new jedis tank, so if you before use ob and go they now total suck.
  • Options
    I partially agree. There’s nothing worse than being bored and having no toons to farm. It’s more common than you’d think for long time players like myself. My biggest beef is the lack of node diversity, it’s gotten better with more cantina modes lately, but it’s often a single hard node. I know I’m beating a dead horse, but that long grind post marquee event is what’s depressing. My Jango is ready for G12, but it’ll be 6 months before I can 7* him. I’d rather see more toons go into guild, arena or GW store for an easier and more “regular” farm. Sure it’s a free toon for most, but with the slew of characters lately, throwing us a bone would be nice.

Also, Revan could’ve been delayed to give dedicated F2P players a chance. He was 100% pay to unlock which is such a slap in the face.
  • Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    kshark wrote: »

So @kshark is there a problem with having a South-East Asian accent?
  • Options
    Problem is with they font give characters to buy in shops, Las is yolo. But here is few total suck characters wchic I even not think to farm like: lando, sith ship, hold on, rose. They just fu suck and no chance to farm from nose couse alvays its come new characters what you need now: bastille, zalbar, vao. Soon will be another. I'm not person who's need suck characters and pay for that.
  • Options
    It is a point of view and depends on how long you are playing this game.

Newcomers may get overwelmend by the toon release. Veteran players mostly entjoy the new releases.
    Smapty wrote: »

sometimes... 😬
    Sometimes? No! Nearly every time! :wink:
    I'am (mostly f2p) on a Dez 15 shard full of maxed out Revan-Squads with base speeds up to over 300 and Zolee. I didnt own Revan. I even didnt have Traya yet :blush: but i cant hold my position in the top 10.

Were the first days hard? Yes!
    Did I struggle against those teams now? No, bcs I found my perfect way to deal with the meta. Welcome back JTR, BB8, R2, Nest and Chewie.

My win lose ratio is better as it was during the Traya meta. The win-los-ratio is 9-1 for me.

Is this squad **** on defense? Oh Yes, but as long as i cant fight my way back up with 5-10 fights this doesnt matter.
  • Options
    OP and many people who are not agreeing with him completely do not even contradict each other.
    You are all looking at this from your own perspective e.g. "I am playing long enough" or "I can't keep up".

Correct me if Im wrong, but actually the entry barrier for new players keep rising. Surely they will be able to skip Palp/Traya meta and catch up a bit. Yet the burden in farming phönix, FO, CLS, Vets and Vets 2.0 to get the needed toons for many game modes is adding up. Adding new meta-defining characters every few months can be overwhelming for some.

• Options
    And if they slowed down, you'd see people upset that the game is "stagnant" and there's "nothing to do but farm mods."

This way you have tons of options to choose from. You only feel like a faction is "obsolete" when you finish it if you're obsessing over your arena placement. Everywhere else - raids, TW, TB - they're just fine.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    SebPovic wrote: »
    OP and many people who are not agreeing with him completely do not even contradict each other.
    You are all looking at this from your own perspective e.g. "I am playing long enough" or "I can't keep up".

Correct me if Im wrong, but actually the entry barrier for new players keep rising. Surely they will be able to skip Palp/Traya meta and catch up a bit. Yet the burden in farming phönix, FO, CLS, Vets and Vets 2.0 to get the needed toons for many game modes is adding up. Adding new meta-defining characters every few months can be overwhelming for some.

Farming is not a barrier, nee players need to plan better and keep in mind that it all takes time (or money to make the time go faster).

"New" players will always have to plan for a long term farm and some short term plans, keep focus and play smart. Losing sight of the plan or thinking you always need to get X when it first comes out will make things feel like they are walled off from you.

There are a lot of toons, but that doesnt mean you need then all within the first year. Many players who are veterans 2.5-3 years still dont have them all and they are doing just fine.

Pick you battles. Keep your focus on a plan, both short and long term.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think the number of characters is the main problem, it's putting most of them on hard nodes. If the farmable locations were more diverse and the stores hadn't been killed, we wouldn't be so overwhelmed.
  • Commander_Wolffe
    211 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The real problem is that every new character is required to have to be competitive. Either the new character is a prerequisite for a meta shattering release (Jedi Revan) or it's a meta shattering release by itself (Hounds Tooth). If you have even a bit of competitive nature or use the squad arena and fleet arena, then you're forced to farm every new release instead of the characters that you actually like/enjoy/want. So the forced farming is worse than farming something you want.

In addition to constantly farming every new meta-shattering release or prerequisite, you're still required to farm tons of other prerequisite characters for important/key characters (CLS, JTR, GMY, Thrawn, et al) needed for TB, TW, and raids.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Nauros wrote: »
    I don't think the number of characters is the main problem, it's putting most of them on hard nodes. If the farmable locations were more diverse and the stores hadn't been killed, we wouldn't be so overwhelmed.

Hard choices are never easy.
  • Options

It is overwhelming, but still manageable.... I’m not disagreeing with you at all. I wish they would spread the toons out to some of the other stores more often but it’s not gonna happen. Howover annoying and tedious the hard node farm is for the toons needed for legendaries you should always be able to have enough time to farm the needed toons by the second time that legendary event rolls around. Just need to focus farm and divert resources you would have otherwise used elsewhere. Choices and planning are the name of the game.
  • Options
    From developers point of view they can do one of three things:
    First, they can keep upgrading OLD content so that existing players get a bit of something to do, but new players do not need tens of years to close the gap. However, this becomes quickly boring to existing players and essentially they would have nothing meaningful to spend on. Also, new players would understand that grinding gets you quickly everything for free, so no need to spend at all.
    Second, they can make NEW content so OP that new players do not even need to consider doing the old stuff since they would not even need it, and old players would be forced to spend to stay in the big picture. However, this quickly adds up to the understanding that by delaying your spending by a month or two you are entitled to get double or triple the benefits.
    Third, they make new content regularly, slightly more powerful than old content, and also try to add up some new events, to keep both old players interested and new players competitive. I believe they are trying to do this exactly. And it is up to us to decide WHAT of the new content we focus on, as a new player I am paying to catch up and also benefit from new things available to me that I can get faster than someone who has simply stayed in the game for 3 years. So I can become competitive if I pay, whether old or new player. And this is a reasonable business model.
  • Options
    I'm not so concerned with the character release frequency. I've been playing for 2 years. My main concern is the lack of availability of lvl 5 stun guns, lvl 3 cuffs, and omegas.
  • Options
    No issues on my part with the overload of new characters.

Just the raid-specific gear.

I've been playing since launch & don't spend cash, I accept 'time' is my expense and I'll get the shiny new stuff down the track.

But raid specific gear that I can't actively farm drives me nuts.

Droid callers....
  • Options
    The problem is how the new toons get released. They trickle into the game more or less constantly. And as they all can/will/might be used for something important *cought* Revan *cough*, we feel a need to farm them all always. There is no choice, no trategy, only the limit money places on most of us. We can get them all from day one.

I miss the old days where there was tons of toons to chose from, and there waqs no way of getting them all. I had to actually choose and make a strategy.

Stop releasing toons f2p "all the time", release them 4 times a year and use GW, Arena shop etc and not just Cantina and hard nodes. That is, if you want to make a good and interesting game great, and not just go for the short term cash.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options
    SebPovic wrote: »
    His post isn't about how long you've been playing as much as it's about the rate at which new characters get released currently. well, that's how i interpreted the post.

Depends on your perspective i guess. New players will get where i'm at currently a whole lot faster than it took me to get here. Sure, it can be overwhelming having to farm all the required factions all while keeping an eye on the current meta defining characters you should want to add to your roster, there's no denying that. However, one could easily ignore JTR for example if you've got other priorities because she's no longer a meta defining character.
    Another advantage is you can plan to perfection if you're new. There was no phoenix when i unlocked palp for example.
    So it isn't all bad, but playing catch up sure does suck and feels like it will never end due to all the new releases. Speaking from experience, having nothing to farm that really adds value to your roster is also quite boring, but admittedly TW kinda fixed that.
  • Options

This. I dont see a reason to be excited about marquee toons that arent game changers for the faction (Bossk for example) when it'll be months before they are viable for guild content. Sure some have neat kits but they aren't worth the hard node investment if they aren't ground breaking, they might be worth arena or GW tokens though.

Jango for example has a fun kit but for the PvE needs i have for that faction my current BH are perfectly fine. There's no reason for me to farm him on a hard node.