Questions about the "Perfect Start"

Lanzinator
2 posts Member
edited December 2018
Hello, I've been playing for a couple months now and really enjoy this game. As I was reading some guides and forum posts, I came across the "Perfect Start" method. I have some questions and I hope you can lend me some of your knowledge and experience.

Questions:

1. How many times do I need to re-roll to get a good toon? (I've re-rolled around 25 accounts now, and only got a couple TIE Fighter and a Darth Sion)

1.a. Should I keep Darth Sion? Is he worth it?

2. Should I keep re-rolling and aim for Baze?

3. Which toons to you recommend for the first pull?

4. Did they change the pull rate on the First Chromium Pack? (So, far I only get shards and not a full toon)

Sorry if there are a lot of questions, and thanks in advance for those will reply!

Replies

• 1 -Sion absolutely.
    2 - Not if you get Sion...
    3 - Sion, Baze, Rex. You won't be able to star then up for a while but they're all incredibly useful. I pulled Jyn on my first and she was awesome.
    4 - Yes it's no longer a guaranteed character. So if you get a decent one, stick with it. But I'd reroll until you get a full. Otherwise shards are a complete waste.
  • I didn’t have a perfect start nor did I need one if u think it will give u a advantage trust me it won’t I can’t tell who had a perfect start and it will have no impact against whale teams. Started off with same basic toon farm boy Luke chewie but at least Luke is used in a event later so I’ll enjoy the 3* toon farm advantage I guess.
  • Sion is plenty gud. He's a key part of later-game Sith teams, and a solid tank on any team.

Don't stress too much about the guides that tell you that you need exactly X, Y and Z or you have to restart. Those guides are generally written with the aim of locking up the #1 arena spot ASAP, which is certainly helpful but by no means necessary.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Yes if u r wasting time doing restart it should only be to be top in ur arena when u start that’s a better investment because u won’t be playing catch-up with players that started before u
  • 2smooth wrote: »
    Yes if u r wasting time doing restart it should only be to be top in ur arena when u start that’s a better investment because u won’t be playing catch-up with players that started before u

But even if I am the first player on a new shard and play as much as I can, someone who started around the same time (or even after) can gain an advantage by spending, which you can't overcome simply by playing.

This is why I don't get the fuss over perfect starts. Unless it involves $$, it's not a perfect start.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • 2smooth
    572 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    2smooth wrote: »
    Yes if u r wasting time doing restart it should only be to be top in ur arena when u start that’s a better investment because u won’t be playing catch-up with players that started before u

But even if I am the first player on a new shard and play as much as I can, someone who started around the same time (or even after) can gain an advantage by spending, which you can't overcome simply by playing.

This is why I don't get the fuss over perfect starts. Unless it involves $$, it's not a perfect start.
    trust me it will take months to catch up to players that started a month before u so it makes a difference u will be able to beat whales that come after because of equipment and zeta advantage u have. So top 5 during payout 4 months in versus top 50 3 months really no debate when u look at that way. Ur too focused on lvl 30 arena u will lvl up so fast things will change what gets u to top lvl 30 for a week won’t help u even in lvl 65 arena 2 weeks later. And u can overcome by playing just have to be better put more time in if u do the same u won’t obviously.

• Vendi1983 wrote: »
    1 -Sion absolutely.
    2 - Not if you get Sion...
    3 - Sion, Baze, Rex. You won't be able to star then up for a while but they're all incredibly useful. I pulled Jyn on my first and she was awesome.
    4 - Yes it's no longer a guaranteed character. So if you get a decent one, stick with it. But I'd reroll until you get a full. Otherwise shards are a complete waste.

Thanks so much! My Darth Sion is only 2* though. Is that okay?
  • Lanzinator
    2 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for all your advices and quick responses; @2smooth @Austin9370 @Jarvind @Trystan_Spyder @Vendi1983

I'm not really keen on getting #1 spot in Arena. I just wanted to try this method and probably learn some new things along the way.

I'll start playing my Darth Sion then. Thanks a bunch!

This ↗. Even if Fortuna smiles on you at the beginning, it might turn out after a week that you're on an arena shard with 20 big spenders and can't break into the higher ranks. Rinse and repeat for the fleet arena. Then the GW bug strikes and you're stuck on GW node 1 or 2 every other night. There are too many random factors in this game. Better to not waste time by creating two dozen accounts and focus on aspects that you can control, like finding a good guild early on.

This ↗. Even if Fortuna smiles on you at the beginning, it might turn out after a week that you're on an arena shard with 20 big spenders and can't break into the higher ranks. Rinse and repeat for the fleet arena. Then the GW bug strikes and you're stuck on GW node 1 or 2 every other night. There are too many random factors in this game. Better to not waste time by creating two dozen accounts and focus on aspects that you can control, like finding a good guild early on.

I disagree. Making sure you hit the ground running is the only way you can possibly keep up with the big spenders. The initial character pull is not that much of issue and over emphasized. More important are:
    1. Spending your resources wisely. In the beginning spreading yourself too thin can tank your progression. I believe focussing on Phoenix first is still the best strategy.
    2. Hoarding energy before entering your arena shard so you can reach level 40 and unlock GW on day 1, is a huge booster. (Hoarding more is likely to hurt your preparation for fleet arena)
    3. Enter arena shard just after a new one had opened up. Otherwise you'll be a week behind some of the others.

With this you should be able to take top 5 in your arena shard without much trouble for the first period. The crystal/currency income will help you keep up with the whales.

Further factors:
    • Finding a guild that has hpit and haat on farm and is focussed on helping new players progress.
    • Find and contact your arena shard mates to figure out optimal coexistence.
  • this just a viewpoint i have, ... so you created 25 accounts? i get why the re-roll, but its frustrating how many dormant accounts there are, and they show up in arena, or gw, kicked out of guilds for no activity, i think there should be a purge of non-active accounts...

--again, im not criticizing you, its just a thought i have
  • Trias wrote: »
    2smooth wrote: »

I disagree. Making sure you hit the ground running is the only way you can possibly keep up with the big spenders. The initial character pull is not that much of issue and over emphasized. More important are:
    1. Spending your resources wisely. In the beginning spreading yourself too thin can tank your progression. I believe focussing on Phoenix first is still the best strategy.
    2. Hoarding energy before entering your arena shard so you can reach level 40 and unlock GW on day 1, is a huge booster. (Hoarding more is likely to hurt your preparation for fleet arena)
    3. Enter arena shard just after a new one had opened up. Otherwise you'll be a week behind some of the others.

With this you should be able to take top 5 in your arena shard without much trouble for the first period. The crystal/currency income will help you keep up with the whales.

Further factors:
    • Finding a guild that has hpit and haat on farm and is focussed on helping new players progress.
    • Find and contact your arena shard mates to figure out optimal coexistence.

I agree, but you don't need to re-roll dozens of times for this. Maybe once if you've been playing without direction on your first acount, as I sadly did. But once you know what you're doing, you can start over once and run with that account.
  • nightwar wrote: »
    this just a viewpoint i have, ... so you created 25 accounts? i get why the re-roll, but its frustrating how many dormant accounts there are, and they show up in arena, or gw, kicked out of guilds for no activity, i think there should be a purge of non-active accounts...

--again, im not criticizing you, its just a thought i have

They don’t really show up anywhere, except some bloated database.

Not in arena, fleet arena or anywhere else. They have to be a certain level to “matter”.

• What's much more important than a first pull is did you join your arena shard on or near the first day. Have you hoarded resources and did you get to do raids while hoarding.