Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• My opponent:
    • 730k character GP
    • 107k ship GP

Me:
    • 427k character GP
    • 442k ship GP (includes 5* Chimeria ~35k received today after lockout)

This algorithm is only total GP and not just characters.

I'm fighting someone at nearly twice my character GP in character only combat.

Why not take the top 30 (3x5 def + 3x5 atk) characters GP and use that?

Who has more zetas. Assuming you use your fleet gp wisely, in the long run you'll have many more zetas to place than someone with 1/4 of your fleet power. So while they have characters at higher gear, you likely have more zetas. The difference probably isn't too pronounced now since at 700k gp, you're likely still farming ships from the fleet store but in a year, you'll have the zeta advantage for sure vs those with 1/4 of your fleet power.

So ot isn't as detrimental as you think to include fleet gp in the matchmaking. Hopefully they add a fleet battle in the future but we'll see.
  • My opponent:
    • 730k character GP
    • 107k ship GP

Me:
    • 427k character GP

Who has more zetas. Assuming you use your fleet gp wisely, in the long run you'll have many more zetas to place than someone with 1/4 of your fleet power. So while they have characters at higher gear, you likely have more zetas. The difference probably isn't too pronounced now since at 700k gp, you're likely still farming ships from the fleet store but in a year, you'll have the zeta advantage for sure vs those with 1/4 of your fleet power.

So ot isn't as detrimental as you think to include fleet gp in the matchmaking. Hopefully they add a fleet battle in the future but we'll see.

I have 2 zeta and he has 1 zeta.
  • echoing the above complaints on matchmaking this round. seems like number of toons at gear
    tier 12 was NOT considered. my opponent has 29 gear tier 12 toons, and i have 8. that about
    seals the deal this first round.
  • FolsomTony wrote: »
    I hope the player matching algorithm is better than the guild TW algorithm.

I'm calling it now, before the battles start. It's not. Players that have focused their resources and time on a few characters to gear to G10+ and fully level to 85 are going to have an enormous advantage over players who activate and partially level every single character they can.
  • echoing the above complaints on matchmaking this round. seems like number of toons at gear
    tier 12 was NOT considered. my opponent has 29 gear tier 12 toons, and i have 8. that about
    seals the deal this first round.

How many g11 do you have? In most cases the total number of g11/12 has been close for those complaing they have less g12.
  • I think the solution to this is simple. It should be based on the GP of your top X GP characters, with X being 3 times the number of characters you can set on defense. This basically accounts for enough teams to set defense and attack each opponents defense twice. So for me I have to set 7 teams, which is 35 characters. Multiply that by 3 and it’s 105 characters. So I should be matched based on the GP of my top 105 characters. This means the bottom 60 characters in my roster that aren’t being used as well as ships will not be factored in. You can do the same calculation for ships if they are in future events.
  • I think the solution to this is simple. It should be based on the GP of your top X GP characters, with X being 3 times the number of characters you can set on defense. This basically accounts for enough teams to set defense and attack each opponents defense twice. So for me I have to set 7 teams, which is 35 characters. Multiply that by 3 and it’s 105 characters. So I should be matched based on the GP of my top 105 characters. This means the bottom 60 characters in my roster that aren’t being used as well as ships will not be factored in. You can do the same calculation for ships if they are in future events.

Or you could exclude characters under a certain gp. Like un tw. But then not allow their use either if it's excluded.

Or you could exclude characters under a certain gp. Like un tw. But then not allow their use either if it's excluded.

That seems more complicated, because you have to determine a cutoff line, and that needs to change at different tiers. Isn’t it 6k in TW? That’s not enough for me. That would eliminate only 5 characters. I’ve always taken characters as far as I can take them without spending rare resources so my GP would be higher for TB. My grievous is 10k GP and Ive never considered using him for anything. In my example above it would have eliminated 60 something characters from my GP. My 60th worst character is just under 14k GP. I can’t see them having a cutoff that high.
  • If I set zero defense do I still get rewards?
    If I see one more **** attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself!
  • GA is a PvP event...as such those who are more focused on PvP should be rewarded. I spent a lot of time focused on the top level toons while ignoring mid-level toons (my rebels are still bad) as well as focused on mods and zetas. I think it is fair for me to have an advantage over those who don't.

The rewards are going to be the same for those in "strong" groupings versus those in "weak" ones...why should I be punished for focusing on PvP?

• TWings wrote: »
    So I wrote this in another thread, but I might as well put it also in the megathread :

Also got a bad match making... My oponent got twice the number of G12 I have and about 10 more zeta. The only thing that I have more than him is number of toons and number of 7 stars (which most are g1 lvl 1, just for the sake of my guild in TB).

So am I supposed to fight zetaed G12 teams with waves of lvl 1 teams ?

The matchmaking needs to be changed to not be based only on GP. Checking at least the number of geared characters and zetas should be included in the equation. Or else change the GP values to reflect the real difference between levels and gear (seriously three our four 7 stars character lvl 1 shouldn't be worth as much as a g12 toon...).
    It's really not about wining or loosing, it's about having fun. It's a game alright ? Because I bet neither me nor my oponent will have any fun in this match.
    I don't mind a challenge, I don't mind loosing a fair fight, but I really don't see the point in puting two uneven players against each other.

What's the point of players focusing on building a good roster with a focus on PvP when they just get lumped in with all the big fishes?

• NicWester wrote: »
    I got mismatched, too, but guys, come on, you're over-reacting...

The format is something that can change from event to event. We're seeing the absolute most basic version of it right now just so peopel get an idea of how it works. It's not going to be "plop down six squads" every time. They can alter where the squads go, they can alter squad composition requirements, they can alter if fleets are added. A large part of my mismatch is a result of ships (My total GP is about 100k higher than my opponent's, but if you look at just characters I'm about 400k lower than him) and that's frustrating and definitely feedback I'm going to give, but it's not necessarily a killer going forward.

Secondly, because this is the most absolute basic version of the event, we're only fighting one person one time. Normally there will be 8 or 5. This means if you're grossly mismatched in this iteration of the event, when it starts for real there will be 6 (or 3) other people that you will be matched against in which the matchmaking will be different. Better? Maybe. Worse? Probably not. The point is that you need more points of data than just one match. Again--this is important and valuable feedback to give, but nothing to get up in arms about.

What people SHOULD be getting up in arms about is that this mode fails in its primary objective: It's supposed to reward people with deep rosters. But, unfortunately, it's punishing them. Not just because of the fleets thing (which is well-covered, so I won't go into that more) but because a well-developed, deep roster will necessarily mean your gear has been spread out over a winder area of characters, but you're actively discouraged by the game mechanics from using those characters--you get fewer banners from winning on the second or third battle, so you need more great characters than you need many okay characters.

Every character on my bench is at least g8 and level 85, my opponent has a bunch of g1, level 1, 3 star characters that he hasn't bothered with, but those are offset by a greater amount of g12 double zeta characters. How can I hope to beat that, no matter how good my Jawa squad is?

No...it's supposed to reward people who focused on the right squads, getting them to top gear/level, and with the best mods.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    My opponent:
    • 730k character GP
    • 107k ship GP

Me:
    • 427k character GP

Yeah I'm sure his Zeta Phasma and QGJ and the other 10 extra worthless zetas he has are going to just slice through nightmare/revan/traya/Nightsister teams..

Come on man seriously you think an extra 2 zetas (people who suck at ships still get decent fleet currency so your argument is semi weak) is going to make a difference ??
  • Dk_rek wrote: »
    My opponent:
    • 730k character GP
    • 107k ship GP

Me:
    • 427k character GP

Yeah I'm sure his Zeta Phasma and QGJ and the other 10 extra worthless zetas he has are going to just slice through nightmare/revan/traya/Nightsister teams..

Come on man seriously you think an extra 2 zetas (people who suck at ships still get decent fleet currency so your argument is semi weak) is going to make a difference ??

Maybe maybe not. The guy is at 700K so he is just starting. Learning what squads to work up and zeta at an early stage is a key lesson.
  • Would it be possible to matchmake based of the total gp of each players top I dunno 30 toons that way wood bee far more = ?

Good theory craft. I like ideas to come along with problems being addressed. I think in practice though, this would moreso favor the Whales - My top 30 and a heavy spender's top 30 could look the same, but outside of those top 30 slots they could have a few more G12 teams where I'm completely spent.

I like where the idea is though. Maybe creating a cap for individual character GP that doesn't count toward your calculated power for matchups. Looking at my Roster, my top character has 25K power, and anyone under 10K power seems to fall outside of my range of usefulness except maybe some cleanup crew action.

If you made it something like... only Characters that are 50%+ of the power of your strongest character were calculated (but I still think they could be battle usable), it could account for a little of the power bloat that happened with TB, and make things a little more fair. TL:DR - Only count the power that could realistically be used in battle for your level.

(Not an idea I really fleshed out to know what sort of implications that would have on newer accounts)
  • Edison wrote: »
    Would it be possible to matchmake based of the total gp of each players top I dunno 30 toons that way wood bee far more = ?

Good theory craft. I like ideas to come along with problems being addressed. I think in practice though, this would moreso favor the Whales - My top 30 and a heavy spender's top 30 could look the same, but outside of those top 30 slots they could have a few more G12 teams where I'm completely spent.

I like where the idea is though. Maybe creating a cap for individual character GP that doesn't count toward your calculated power for matchups. Looking at my Roster, my top character has 25K power, and anyone under 10K power seems to fall outside of my range of usefulness except maybe some cleanup crew action.

If you made it something like... only Characters that are 50%+ of the power of your strongest character were calculated (but I still think they could be battle usable), it could account for a little of the power bloat that happened with TB, and make things a little more fair. TL:DR - Only count the power that could realistically be used in battle for your level.

(Not an idea I really fleshed out to know what sort of implications that would have on newer accounts)

I don't understand the need for this? They already scaled down the squads needed depending on GP.

I am at 3.3 mil...have 6 slots to fill. That's 30 toons on defense alone.

Also, why should I be punished for not gearing up my JKG or CUP?
  • StarWarsWantsTooMuch
    127 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    sbuv4j4k3vxi.png

the only team i set in this horrible designed notgrand arena
  • Dk_rek wrote: »
    My opponent:
    • 730k character GP
    • 107k ship GP

Me:
    • 427k character GP

No, it won't make up for having a bad roster with bad teams. But if your roster isn't competitive, you deserve to lose against one that is. Sorry but that's competition. But on the margin, extra zetas can make a difference.

That seems more complicated, because you have to determine a cutoff line, and that needs to change at different tiers. Isn’t it 6k in TW? That’s not enough for me. That would eliminate only 5 characters. I’ve always taken characters as far as I can take them without spending rare resources so my GP would be higher for TB. My grievous is 10k GP and Ive never considered using him for anything. In my example above it would have eliminated 60 something characters from my GP. My 60th worst character is just under 14k GP. I can’t see them having a cutoff that high.

It is more complicated so more likely to be bugged since you probably need a different value for different tiers. Since a 12k character is useful to a 500k gp player but useless to a 4 mil gp player. No matter what people will gripe so they might as well keep it simple.

With pure gp, you put the same or equivalent resources into your roster as your opponent. If your roster isn't good, it's on you. So go works.

• With pure gp, you put the same or equivalent resources into your roster as your opponent. If your roster isn't good, it's on you. So go works.

Not true. I'm in top 10 in squad arena and top 5 in fleet arena - I have decent inventories in both squad and fleet.

My total GP is 800k. My opponents GP is 800k.

My character GP is 400k. His character GP is 700k.

There are 6 character battles (3 defense, 3 offense). He has (almost) twice my GP and many, many more characters to select from. I'm using 4 and 5 star characters in my defense and offense squads. He has an entire inventory of 7 star, lv 85, g8+. I have enough to be competitive in both arenas. He will annihilate me because he has more depth and breadth in characters, because he has no ships.

"ships are coming" - yes, but it is highly likely that the banners won't be equivalent. For example, in TW, there's only 2 sections for fleet - that's less banners. Maybe 85% of banners come from squads and 15% from fleet. Using that ratio, he could win 85% of squad battles and lose 15% of fleet and still be victor even though my roster is "good" and his is bad, he has more GP, more characters, it's just zerg/numbers game.

• With pure gp, you put the same or equivalent resources into your roster as your opponent. If your roster isn't good, it's on you. So go works.

Not true. I'm in top 10 in squad arena and top 5 in fleet arena - I have decent inventories in both squad and fleet.

There are 6 character battles (3 defense, 3 offense). He has (almost) twice my GP and many, many more characters to select from. I'm using 4 and 5 star characters in my defense and offense squads. He has an entire inventory of 7 star, lv 85, g8+. I have enough to be competitive in both arenas. He will annihilate me because he has more depth and breadth in characters, because he has no ships.

"ships are coming" - yes, but it is highly likely that the banners won't be equivalent. For example, in TW, there's only 2 sections for fleet - that's less banners. Maybe 85% of banners come from squads and 15% from fleet. Using that ratio, he could win 85% of squad battles and lose 15% of fleet and still be victor even though my roster is "good" and his is bad, he has more GP, more characters, it's just zerg/numbers game.

You understand that GA is just one aspect of this game and you are on like step 2 of a 5,000 step marathon. If you are finishing top 5 in fleet...you are getting a lot more crystals than your opponent.

I was heavy on ship before too because most people ignored it.

Don't focus on the short-term, you are doing fine.

• Robert
    150 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Imo it’s the flawed combat system that will never really allow for good competition. It’s built in a way that gives toons and teams insurmountable advantages that rng and strategy can’t ever overcome. It has to be that way to ensure they can sell new, more powerful toons. David should always have a chance to slay Goliath.
  • They can make changes people, give them suggestions on their idea and hope something changes instead of "I hate this" " You could have done something else with your time" crap. This is what we got now lets help them fine tune it instead of crying.
    tier 12 was NOT considered. my opponent has 29 gear tier 12 toons, and i have 8.
  • flux_rono wrote: »
    i like a lot of the stuff with grand area so far that im seeing, plus the mini hologram units that are the leaders of nodes is cool...

but im extremely upset about who im against, 1st, because they have traya unlocked, and then the zeta number difference (they have 12 more)
    while zetas can be a bit harder to separate, can you guys at least not put us against people with certain toons unlocked that the other doesn't? im mainly saying the journey/raid characters; every other character i think can be considered fair game.

Not that big a deal, there are several ways to dispatch Traya. I wouldn’t get so worried about that minor difference.

I know there are ways, but im bearly able to fight nhiliuos and sion as it is without traya... eith her i doubt i can win

I think the difference will shrink as you get higher gp. It does seem magnified more at lower gp. But objectively you put resources into ships by gearing pilots and such that you could have spent elsewhere.

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong to do so. I also put more into ships and get 400 crystals daily from getting first. But as in many aspects of the game, you have to choose which areas to focus on.

Now if you put those crystals into your characters, you can have a tight roster and do well in this aspect of the game as well. You still have as much shot as anyone long term.
    flux_rono wrote: »
    i like a lot of the stuff with grand area so far that im seeing, plus the mini hologram units that are the leaders of nodes is cool...

but im extremely upset about who im against, 1st, because they have traya unlocked, and then the zeta number difference (they have 12 more)
    while zetas can be a bit harder to separate, can you guys at least not put us against people with certain toons unlocked that the other doesn't? im mainly saying the journey/raid characters; every other character i think can be considered fair game.

Not that big a deal, there are several ways to dispatch Traya. I wouldn’t get so worried about that minor difference.

I know there are ways, but im bearly able to fight nhiliuos and sion as it is without traya... eith her i doubt i can win

Depends what you have, Got troopers?
    tier 12 was NOT considered. my opponent has 29 gear tier 12 toons, and i have 8.

so why haven't you geared more characters to g12? Your opponent managed to do so at the same gp. It's not the devs fault you built a non competitive roster.
    flux_rono wrote: »

That's a goal to work towards. Not a problem with match making.