Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    echoing the above complaints on matchmaking this round. seems like number of toons at gear
    tier 12 was NOT considered. my opponent has 29 gear tier 12 toons, and i have 8.

so why haven't you geared more characters to g12? Your opponent managed to do so at the same gp. It's not the devs fault you built a non competitive roster.

this...if someone with the same GP as another decided to make smarter choices in building their roster, they deserve to win, not be forced to only play against people who made the exact same decisions they did. Not to mention its a tourney of 8, so the stronger teams will eventually play against the stronger teams.

Unreal how many people are complaining about bad matchups when they made bad decisions.

I think this criticism is a bit unfair. I have 7* decently geared Jawas because they were needed for the mod challenges once upon a time and they were *supposed* to be good in the HAAT raid. Most of my "non-competitive" roster was competitive at some point early in the history of the game - characters like Jawa Engineer, Dooku, JKA, etc. were meta at one point or another.

Also, someone who makes bad decisions about gearing/zetaing characters is already suffering as a result of their actions (i.e. they could have put that gear/zeta on someone useful). Do they really deserve to lose indefinitely in TW and GA for the rest of this game's life? The game is supposed to be fun and not masochistic, right?

Ideally, the matchmaking should pair like types of players so that it is a test of skill and strategy, and so that both players feel like they have a reasonable chance of winning. Otherwise you'll end up with the newer whales continually pounding on older F2P/light-spending players, reaping all the rewards, and making the competitive gap even wider, at which point the perpetual losers will lose interest and quit playing. That's not a positive scenario.

In arena, if you suck, you'll eventually fall in rank until you reach a level where the matches are competitive. There should be a corresponding mechanism for TW and GA that does likewise. If there isn't I'm just going to forfeit any time there is a non-competitive match-up and that's not fun for either side; we're already seeing it happening with players not setting their defensive rosters.

There are lots of solutions to this problem:
    1) Tweak the algorithm to weight characters by game usage. Revan and Traya are worth 1.0, Ugnaught and Bodhi are worth 0.1 (or even less), and everyone else is somewhere in-between. You can even progressively generate the weighting from character frequency in arena.

2) Allow players to maintain a 'blacklist' of characters to exclude from TWs and GA and the matchmaking calculation. For example, I'd normally keep Mace and CUP on the bench, but I would have called them up for the Clone Wars-themed TWs. The system already filters out characters under 6k, so just make it user-chosen instead (with 6k as the default).

3) Have lots of Grand Arena and Territory Wars that use weird factions exclusively or given them massive bonuses. Make it so people who farmed Tuskens win once every 20 times or something.

4) Perhaps drastic, but make some of the PvP game modes unmodded or using stock characters. If you want a true test of skill, have players compete with equal or near-equal resources. We already have two (or more) game modes where players with the most time or money always win - perhaps we could have one that is entirely skill-based instead.
  • I have done two battles. Won both. Both times required a restart. No banners acquired. Then I read to hold off.
    Will I receive my missing banners or will I just lose this GA?
  • With the forced entry I had zero chance to work on quest with no opposing squads. :'(
  • JediRobb wrote: »
    They’ll make it up to us I’m sure. Let’s wait and see before going hysterical.

No they wont

This guy gets it. I remember when we used to get 500+ crystals for every problem, now its just guild event currency they got stingy..
  • Amazed so many are defending this collosal mistake
    Its like showing up for track practise with one shoe...
    Even one battle one time in a test....
    "and i will show you ... where the iron crosses grow..."
  • So I actually stopped after the first battle. Cant believe so many people kept going. That shows a lack of ...never mind. The other problem with this bug is it doesn't update quests either. Which bums me more than the banners.
  • This is no big deal, the whole concept is cool, they just released the alpha, now we can go beta. They should just restart it and give us 200 crystals.
  • Gage356418 wrote: »
    I have done two battles. Won both. Both times required a restart. No banners acquired. Then I read to hold off.
    Thats the million dollar question is it
    With anyone else i would just assume theyd restart the whole thing and try again
    With this, i do not know what to expect
    And apparently if anyone finds out whats coming ahead of time they just cancel it
    "and i will show you ... where the iron crosses grow..."
  • SCOED wrote: »
    I am happy for those that are looking for this type of event. But this isn't for me.

First the rewards don't excite. I don't need any of it. Yes I will gladly take it but it will be a while before I will have a use for it. The rewards just don't excite me. I am sure others will disagree and that is great. But I just can't get excited about the rewards.

Second I like to collect. I want to 7 star everyone. I am a collector and it appears this game mode punishes those like me. So I will lose a lot. That is fine, but it means it isn't made for me. I am still glad they added it as I know lots of people live for the PVP part of the game, I don't. This doesn't stop me from collecting so I am glad they added it. But still It kinda isn't the best feeling knowing collecting is being punished.

Third, It is time consuming. This game is already a huge time sink. I just can't get that excited by a new huge time dump. I can skip it I know and it isn't getting forced on me but I then I feel like I am hurting my guild by passing up even my losing rewards. Yes I know I will likely lose. I never focused on PVP so I don't have meta anything.

Please note I am glad they released it. I know plenty of folks that love the PVP part of this game and it is great they have a new toy. I am just not fond of getting my rear kicked in yet another area. Still love this game and glad CG is make it better for many. I would like to thank them for that. I just wish I could get excited over it. I just can't.

I am so with you mate
  • Putting major changes in on Friday.
    Not testing your changes before Friday go live.
    Long mandatory weekend hours to resolve.
    ****, did y'all miss your I.T. 101 courses?
  • Test your events before you launch them. Tired of this.
  • Sprosti ste jak daleko vidite. A to som sa zaregistroval len preto ze ma serete uz pekne dlho. Tolko chujovin robit zaradom sa len tak nevidi. Dufam ze aspon copy-paste do prekladaca zvladnete blbci
  • Launch your events before the end of the week. Leave time to resolve any issue
  • Kmotr wrote: »
    Sprosti ste jak daleko vidite. A to som sa zaregistroval len preto ze ma serete uz pekne dlho. Tolko chujovin robit zaradom sa len tak nevidi. Dufam ze aspon copy-paste do prekladaca zvladnete blbci

This guy gets it. Or is totally wrong. I'm not sure.
    echoing the above complaints on matchmaking this round. seems like number of toons at gear
    tier 12 was NOT considered. my opponent has 29 gear tier 12 toons, and i have 8.

so why haven't you geared more characters to g12? Your opponent managed to do so at the same gp. It's not the devs fault you built a non competitive roster.

this...if someone with the same GP as another decided to make smarter choices in building their roster, they deserve to win, not be forced to only play against people who made the exact same decisions they did. Not to mention its a tourney of 8, so the stronger teams will eventually play against the stronger teams.

Unreal how many people are complaining about bad matchups when they made bad decisions.

I'll give you two reasons. The first is that anyone who started later in the game will be at an advantage because they didn't bother leveling crap toons that longer players will have. Second is that cg stated that players shouldn't, and wouldn't be penalized for leveling and gearing toons. Hell that's the excuse horse they rode in on in their justification for nerfing zombie.

You're not being punished for leveling toons. You just leveled the wrong ones to be competitive. Several gear pieces needed for g8 are also needed as a component of g11 to get to g12. No one is suggesting you never use the gear just that it is wiser to finish a team rather than starting 20 teams.
  • Kmotr wrote: »
    Sprosti ste jak daleko vidite. A to som sa zaregistroval len preto ze ma serete uz pekne dlho. Tolko chujovin robit zaradom sa len tak nevidi. Dufam ze aspon copy-paste do prekladaca zvladnete blbci

This guy gets it. Or is totally wrong. I'm not sure.

Google Translate: "I'm so sorry to see how far I can see. And I registered only because you have been waiting for a long time. Tolko chujovin robit zaradom just do not see. I dump at least the copy-paste to the translator to steal the dumb"

Lol - Not really sure
  • Oh I'm going to bed.... I'll get my 15 Chewie shards in the morning I'm sure....
  • You're not being punished for leveling toons. You just leveled the wrong ones to be competitive. Several gear pieces needed for g8 are also needed as a component of g11 to get to g12. No one is suggesting you never use the gear just that it is wiser to finish a team rather than starting 20 teams.

Sorry, but that isn't quite true. If you have been playing from before guilds started you will have geared toons that are no longer relevant so if you are going to compare a 4million new player to a 4million old player the new player is likely to have a stronger roster in terms of useable characters in the current metas.

• Well... I completed all my fights of course. Why? Because it I saw that the enemy is gone after the restart.
    I realised that the points did not count but thought they might count at the end of the event all together.

But I can't understand how this has not been found before launch as it happened on every fight. Did you even tried it once after writing the code?

• sL4sh
    14 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Post edited by sL4sh on
  • Way under matched! My match for this has teams several times more powerful than me. It's real fun being someone's shooting game. I thought I might have a chance to get any score but playing further would lead to more frusteration for which I think if the game is playable for all it should be for all. I know this is new and it will get better.
  • Gage356418 wrote: »
    I have done two battles. Won both. Both times required a restart. No banners acquired. Then I read to hold off.

Exact same situation as me i better get all my banners as I won each battle with 5 toons left...

I'll give you two reasons. The first is that anyone who started later in the game will be at an advantage because they didn't bother leveling crap toons that longer players will have. Second is that cg stated that players shouldn't, and wouldn't be penalized for leveling and gearing toons. Hell that's the excuse horse they rode in on in their justification for nerfing zombie.

You're not being punished for leveling toons. You just leveled the wrong ones to be competitive. Several gear pieces needed for g8 are also needed as a component of g11 to get to g12. No one is suggesting you never use the gear just that it is wiser to finish a team rather than starting 20 teams.

If you have played long you have lots of geared useless characters. For example today you dont need several different teams for different mod farms. Metas have changed and so lots of toons that used to be good are now just death weight.
  • I wasn’t a huge fan of this from the get go for the same reasons a lot of people have stated (ie punishing long time players for actually spending resources rather than hoarding them), but I’m even more disappointed with yet another game mode that was released before it was ready. I can’t believe how often these releases are plagued with bugs that make the content unplayable.
  • camper288
    211 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Not only that, this problem exposes how bad the guild selection algorithm you have for TWs. the smaller guilds are harmed by increasing the power distance.
    Announcing the power strips, including that ships have direct influence on this was another silly mistake. if there are no ships battling, what is the reason for the algorithm to consider the power part of ships?

That would give all kind of problem is even resembling Galvão Bueno's narration on Senna's return when he wins the third world championship of F1, letting Gerhard Berger pass on de last lap.
    " I knew"

• Well, what an anticlimax. Looked forward to this all day, but it's late and I've already wasted one battle. How the hell you haven't tested this is beyond me. Hopefully it's fixed in the morning and I can enjoy some totally useless compensation in the morning *sigh
  • Whiteroom wrote: »

Sorry, but that isn't quite true. If you have been playing from before guilds started you will have geared toons that are no longer relevant so if you are going to compare a 4million new player to a 4million old player the new player is likely to have a stronger roster in terms of useable characters in the current metas.

Even a whale takes a little bit of time to get to 4 mil gp so I doubt the difference is as pronounced as you say. That being said being a launch player, you could easily have 14 good teams. 7 on defense and 7 on offense. Once yoy have that you can win no matter what your opponent has.