"No Defenses Set" in Grand Arena [MERGE]

Prev13456789
Nikoms565
14242 posts Member
edited December 2018
So I guess I win....and am out the chance for 600k credits. Cool. Thanks for the fun event. [/sarcasm]

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
*This space left intentionally blank*
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Same here. Not like I waited 3 days or anything. Def more the player's fault than CG though.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Same
    dqj41maqopzv.png
  • Ya sucks, cant work towards the quests.
  • Same here. Not like I waited 3 days or anything. Def more the player's fault than CG though.

Well, perhaps. But it also might have been the fact that despite the excellent matchmaking (our GP was almost identical), he was scared off by my 53 g12 toons.....to his 19.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • The grand arena definitely got me back into the game even with no grievous rework... (I won't use this to complain about that, grumble grumble)

Now though there are a huge number of people in my guild and a friend's guild including myself that all have opponents with no defenses set up. It's an easy win and yay for rewards, but that really takes the fun out of careful defensive and offensive planning. Is this a thing now? People in it just for the participation reward?

The better question is, how many other people is this happening to, or is it just us?
  • The same garbage happened to me too. Why join and then not even bother to set Defense? Don't want the other guy to have to even work at all? It's selfish and IMO will be the biggest problem with this game mode, as it completely drains the fun out of it. I was excited to battle and now I'm just angry and exasperated.

There needs to be some way to avoid this. Some kind of penalty to players that intentionally don't set Defense.
  • You aren't alone; thoroughly dissapointing...
  • Thatdelong wrote: »
    The same garbage happened to me too. Why join and then not even bother to set Defense? Don't want the other guy to have to even work at all? It's selfish and IMO will be the biggest problem with this game mode, as it completely drains the fun out of it. I was excited to battle and now I'm just angry and exasperated.

There needs to be some way to avoid this. Some kind of penalty to players that intentionally don't set Defense.

How about giving you a higher prize than them?
  • They will just make it where it auto sets teams im sure
  • Maybe they have no interest in it, and are only there because the tutorial signed them up.. might get a better experience next time around with only the serious competitors on board.
  • Ya sucks, cant work towards the quests.

Yep, this too.

• Not just you. Myself and several others in my guild don’t have an opponent with defenses.

Just curious what happens if one decides to save all their teams for offense? The other player would not be able to take any territories and would lose if their defenses lose right?
  • Thatdelong wrote: »
    The same garbage happened to me too. Why join and then not even bother to set Defense? Don't want the other guy to have to even work at all? It's selfish and IMO will be the biggest problem with this game mode, as it completely drains the fun out of it. I was excited to battle and now I'm just angry and exasperated.

This is a great idea, better prizes for the guy that wins
  • js4
    129 posts Member
    Kelarn wrote: »
    Maybe they have no interest in it, and are only there because the tutorial signed them up.. might get a better experience next time around with only the serious competitors on board.

funny thing about TW is if you don't get any banners, you don't get rewards, expect the same here.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    No defence should be no rewards. Period. That’s the only way to keep slackers from doing this or for the least part keep them from joining in.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    You could also look at it this way; the guy saved you the frustration of beating a team that didn't give you banners, nor did it count towards the quests =D
    How can i earn those 600k credits btw? Not that i need them, but i don't see those anywhere.
  • That sucks massively and I'd be super annoyed about it.

For this version of the event people were auto enrolled if they even clicked on the table when it popped up after the update. In the future they will have a 24 hour join period so it'll be more deliberate.

But to prevent people joining just for 2nd place rewards they should at the least make the rewards zero for not setting a defence in my opinion.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Boov wrote: »
    You could also look at it this way; the guy saved you the frustration of beating a team that didn't give you banners, nor did it count towards the quests =D
    How can i earn those 600k credits btw? Not that i need them, but i don't see those anywhere.
    Crumb said you get 100k for each defensive team you beat
  • Oh that sucks! And that i just did battles without getting banners, sucks too!!
  • Citadel_of_Ricks
    229 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Ragnorak wrote: »
    Thatdelong wrote: »

This is a great idea, better prizes for the guy that wins

Yeah, we get the top prize, but could have had a little fun along the way, earned credits and passed quests (edit - if it was working). Not much enjoyment playing a game that you don't actually get to play.

That being said, as someone else mentioned, this is probably more likely this first time than in the future since it auto-deploys last defenses set (or so they said). Assuming everyone who joins will set a defense at some point so the no shows should drop off and/or go away with time.
  • Why not have the join period also be the set defense period? If you dont set a defense, you don't end up in the tournament.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    I mean this problem is less likely for the future, if it’s 5v5 or 8v8 or whatever. But then the problem will be 3 people setting defenses on one side, and 8 on the other.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Why not have the join period also be the set defense period? If you dont set a defense, you don't end up in the tournament.
    People would just set 1 team of level 1 g1 toons or something and it would be equally bad

I think in a 8 way tournament this is going to weed out the non-participants while allowing you to continue playing against one or two opponent that does play the mode but being on the receiving end of this is terrible
  • Ultra wrote: »
    People would just set 1 team of level 1 g1 toons or something and it would be equally bad

I think in a 8 way tournament this is going to weed out the non-participants while allowing you to continue playing against one or two opponent that does play the mode but being on the receiving end of this is terrible

I dont think people would take the time to deploy bad toons. Even if they did, I would still get to attack and progress towards completing the quests.
  • To be fair this problem with likely go away when we get the real GA. This round had a 3 day time limit to join.... So those that are only active every 3 days joined and a lot didn't come back. However, the real GA will only be 1 day, likely to get rid of this type of behavior.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Why not have the join period also be the set defense period? If you dont set a defense, you don't end up in the tournament.

Further to this... if there's ever the rare occasion of a match that's actually close I want to see the opponents roster before I plan my defence!
  • No defense equals you lose since you can't earn enough on offense to overcome someone who set a defense and got territory rewards for "clearing" yours. I did the math as soon as I saw no defense for my opponent thinking they pulled a fast one on me.
  • My opponent didn’t set any defenses either. I was super excited about this, too. Just to play it. I’m glad I get the prizes, but I would rather have played.

I tried messaging them, too, but they declined my request. Oh well.
  • You also miss out on the credits per kill reward.
  • Super disappointed. I’ve really been looking forward to this, been talking strategy for hours with guildees, rearranged mods etc. Finally it’s the attack phase and my opponent has no teams on defense. I miss out on up to 600k, the quests, and most importantly the fun I was looking forward to. They really do need to implement an auto setup where if your opponent hasn’t placed teams on defense the ai does it for them.
This discussion has been closed.