GP Matchmaking & “Fluff”

Replies

• Darknesswon
    618 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I just want to say if starring and leveling toons is making a bad choice, creating fluff, why was paper zombie eliminated.
    Was it because not leveling your toons if you could went against the spirit of the game.
    (CG) so lets now design a game mode that rewards this behavior on a level paper zombie never dreamed.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I just want to say if starring and leveling toons is making a bad choice in this game, why was paper zombie eliminated??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

All toons vs the useful toons is 2 different things. One is a bad choice.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I just want to say if starring and leveling toons is making a bad choice in this game, why was paper zombie eliminated??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

So why was paper zombie nerfed? If not leveling and powering your toons, is not in the spirit of the game, as was the excuse given for the paper zombie nerf.
    So doing what the devs said was the intent , to level and gear your toons, is a bad choice. Sorry not buying it.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

So why was paper zombie nerfed? If not leveling and powering your toons, is not in the spirit of the game, as was the excuse given for the paper zombie nerf.
    So doing what the devs said was the intent , to level and gear your toons, is a bad choice. Sorry not buying it.

who said it isn't in the spirit of the game.

GP is a measure of how much upgrading you have done throughout your SWGOH career, but if you want to be competitive in a game mode like TW and GA, than you need to focus that development. People who dont can do great in many game modes and will be able to react quickly when things change, but that doesn't mean they should face people who are hyper focused on this style of game play, just because they may not have the tools developed to best cope with this like others have.

development is always good, but how you do it can mean you made "bad choices" towards certain game modes.

this was a similar concept back in the day with GW, when you tried to focus too much and got swamped and couldn't progress.

each game mode has its own little nuances and understanding that can help you be a better player. but expecting to be great at all of them is not something for mere mortals to achieve.

at no point is anyone saying you shouldn't develop, but you should develop with a plan that doesn't involve blind numbers. TB spread people out, but taking that too far was never a good idea. there is always a balance to strike.
  • Darknesswon
    618 posts Member
    edited December 2018

GP is a measure of how much upgrading you have done throughout your SWGOH career, but if you want to be competitive in a game mode like TW and GA, than you need to focus that development. People who dont can do great in many game modes and will be able to react quickly when things change, but that doesn't mean they should face people who are hyper focused on this style of game play, just because they may not have the tools developed to best cope with this like others have.

development is always good, but how you do it can mean you made "bad choices" towards certain game modes.

this was a similar concept back in the day with GW, when you tried to focus too much and got swamped and couldn't progress.

each game mode has its own little nuances and understanding that can help you be a better player. but expecting to be great at all of them is not something for mere mortals to achieve.

at no point is anyone saying you shouldn't develop, but you should develop with a plan that doesn't involve blind numbers. TB spread people out, but taking that too far was never a good idea. there is always a balance to strike.

If i was using the gear crunch pieces and all my resources to lvl my 7 star toons to lvl 85 g7-8 that would be true, but i am being punished for using excess gear, not for my choices, im not stuck on any character. im progressing forward. The only place this is a bad choice. Is in grand arena , no where else is leveling my rogue one squad to g7 lvl 85 punished. Or starting my leveling of the solo toons or OR toons, without their stars , so that when i finish starring them , they will be ready to go, only grand arena punishes for that. Not sure how using the extra resources i have is making a bad choice?
    Do i need more gear and omegas and Zetas, yeah i do , we all do. We arent talking about using Zetas or omegas. We are talking about credits, which are supremely abundant, and will be more so , now that no one is gonna lvl any toon that they arent directly using right now. Or the gear to get to g7. Neither of which requires a choice , we have thousands. So my bad choice, was using these items on my toons?
  • Yup i should not be trying to drop my GP to compete thats like the opposite of what the game is meant to be a collecting/progressive game.

And anyone who disagrees i bet they have 60 g12 toons ready to pwn someone with like 12 how is that fun.
  • Vicarious wrote: »

CG said “it isn’t in the spirit of the game” to not level up characters. That quote was in my initial post.

That was their exact reason to nerf paper zombie
    And fyi i have nothing against you kyno , i think it sucks the devs have left this all to you, but raw gp as the only matchmaking tool is lazy and extremely flawed. Not a bad choice by the players.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Vicarious wrote: »

CG said “it isn’t in the spirit of the game” to not level up characters. That quote was in my initial post.

It's not in the spirit of the game to intentionally not level a character you are actually using because said character works *better* at a lower gear level. This is not remotely the same thing as not half-leveling/gearing characters you have no intention of using.
  • Gair wrote: »
    Factors that should have been included.

- Average arena rank
    - Numerical number of G12s
    - Quality of mods (15/20+ speeds)

If you base it off GP , then you end up with someone who has 10x G12s vs someone who has none but similar power due to just leveling trash toons.

Then why are u leveling trash toons?
  • Liath wrote: »

It's not in the spirit of the game to intentionally not level a character you are actually using because said character works *better* at a lower gear level. This is not remotely the same thing as not half-leveling/gearing characters you have no intention of using.

You mean like intentionally gearing your squads so you get a lower GP match ?
  • And just to ice the cake, the higher gp wins if its a tiebreaker lolvznsdz00k4xm.jpg
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

And fyi i have nothing against you kyno , i think it sucks the devs have left this all to you, but raw gp as the only matchmaking tool is lazy and extremely flawed. Not a bad choice by the players.

as a raw measure of development, its not bad.

if it is the only factor used for match making than yes its a bad idea. i said this already, but to increase fairness they should use other factors.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

If i was using the gear crunch pieces and all my resources to lvl my 7 star toons to lvl 85 g7-8 that would be true, but i am being punished for using excess gear, not for my choices, im not stuck on any character. im progressing forward. The only place this is a bad choice. Is in grand arena , no where else is leveling my rogue one squad to g7 lvl 85 punished. Or starting my leveling of the solo toons or OR toons, without their stars , so that when i finish starring them , they will be ready to go, only grand arena punishes for that. Not sure how using the extra resources i have is making a bad choice?
    Do i need more gear and omegas and Zetas, yeah i do , we all do. We arent talking about using Zetas or omegas. We are talking about credits, which are supremely abundant, and will be more so , now that no one is gonna lvl any toon that they arent directly using right now. Or the gear to get to g7. Neither of which requires a choice , we have thousands. So my bad choice, was using these items on my toons?

you dont get punished for development. you can get hurt by bad choices when developing.

as always focused development can help you be more competitive in any game mode. This game mode is more focused than we have seen before.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

Who knows what characters will be needed in the near future. For all we know Jawas, Clones, or whoever could be needed for new toon sooner then later. Just like the furballs are now needed for 3PO. So let’s neglect Jawas, Clones, and everything else that’s not needed or top notch now so we can panic farm them when they are needed or viable. Sounds like a crappy strategy to me.

No one knows what’s coming down the road so working on all characters is the best strategy in a game like this. Or it should be, if it wasn’t for the GP matchmaking. Of course meta characters should be a players priority but once those are done do you really expect players to just sit and not try to make progress on their accounts?? Not try to build up characters that will most certainly be needed at some point for whatever??

A smart player, in a game that didn’t rely on not leveling characters anyway, would most certainly be working on improving his/her whole roster whenever possible in a game like this. The only thing preventing everyone from doing so is players get an advantage by not unlocking and not leveling up non meta chars. The meta changes....

Well absolutely none of that is true for me. I don't promote, level, or gear characters until I have a specific reason to do so/a specific use for them. That in no way means I need to panic farm when they are needed or viable. In fact, it's quite the opposite. By saving resources instead of handing them out willy nilly, I have those resources available for whatever becomes useful or necessary. I have a stash of credits and can use them to level a new team for whatever purpose. I have a stash of gear and can use it to gear up whatever is required. But I don't hand it out on speculation, because there's no time pressure. So, for example, I haven't geared any Ewoks since C3PO was announced. I will wait and see what the event is like, what team composition works best, and what gear level is required, and then gear as needed. If it was Jawas or Clones required now I'd be waiting to gear them instead. And if they do become necessary, that's fine, I'll gear them then.

The same is not true of character shards because you can't acquire them quickly, so it is in my best interests to farm as many shards for as many characters as I can so that they are available if and when those characters become necessary. Promoting them, however, is not necessary, and I generally don't do that either.

Not everyone wants to play the way I do, which is fine. But it's not a crappy strategy. This is how I have always played, and it has served me extremely well.
  • Kyno wrote: »

as a raw measure of development, its not bad.

if it is the only factor used for match making than yes its a bad idea. i said this already, but to increase fairness they should use other factors.

I agree
  • Quit crying. This game is about strategy and some of you chose a bad strategy. Once you lose a few times to those better than you, you will be matched against other losers with your same bad record. It all evens out.
  • I level trash toons to an elevated trash so I can increase GP and help the guild get 45 starts in TB. This puts me at an apparent GP Disadvantage.

• If we knew this game mode was coming yes, otherwise how is it anyone's fault , thet didnt prepare for something they knew nothing about.
    There were no hints , no login toons that pointed to this. Introducing another game mode that punishes collectors in a collector game us just silly. Which is why i'll put one toon on defense and be done with it. Will not waste a second on a game mode that punishes me because of how i choose to play a game.
    And lastly zombie was changed because they didn't want ppl gaining an advantage for not powering up toons , well you just created a game mode , that will stop the powering up of all non meta toons , to keep gp low to face much easier opponents. Does not make much sense.
    And as far as i know total GP also includes ships even though none can be used. Which is another handicap to those who actually use and worked on a bunch of ships.

This is so exactly how I feel. I will try to play the mode but I am at an incredible disadvantage from the word go.
  • There are really a lot of people missing the point here.
    Sure there are diferents people with diferent games styles alright, and those people make their choices, but bascially the message sent by GA's matching only by pure GP is :
    Don't unlock toons you don't use, don't star up toons you don't use, because if you do so, even if they stay at gear 1 level 1, you'll get penalized as eventually they'll be compared to g12 toons in GA.

So it really has nothing to do with playstyle or strategy, unless you mean actually not unlocking/staring up toons for who you do have the shards already (and I could pretty much include zetas and gear in this but let's keep it simple) is a strategy. So, what I should have really done is keep all those toons ready to be unlocked but not push the "activate" button alright ? Short version, players should hold off everything to make sure their GP is not "artifically" buffed up by useless stuff.

I don't know, but I really doubt that's the message EA/CG want to send. That would basically tell everyone to slow down on spending and such (pretty much like the paper zombi case).
  • DARTH_TED
    205 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    agr03qv8iqji.png

So I assume these stats would put me in the top 1% of Development. And because I have worked on all my characters I’m going to be at a disadvantage because out of the clear blue sky they came up with a new game mode that punishes what I’ve done.

I also have a problem with the fact that I could drop mods off of 100 characters and get myself paired down drastically. And then screw somebody else over in the process.

Sounds like they actively encouraging people to not work on characters just to perpetuate the panic farming at a later date to me.

I want to like this game mode but the matchmaking has got to be more than just base GP.
    Post edited by DARTH_TED on
  • Vicarious wrote: »

Sure...... Except they never said that......
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    BubbaFett wrote: »

Not word for word but from what I understood, and OP is right here, CG's intended spirit of the game was that gearing / leveling your roster should be rewarded and encouraged (make deep rosters). The game spirit is that invest in your toons and reap the rewards. To invest in your toons you need to gear them up. To gear them up, you need to level them up. So leveling toons is part of that game spirit

Its literally in the screenshot in the opening post that investing more deeply in a character should be rewarded and leveling up a toon is investing in that toon but Grand Arena encourages the opposite "only level toons you are absolutely going to use / need to be meta or else you will be outmatched"

Instead of having a wide roster strength its concentrated group of toons
  • Mike_ITA wrote: »
    jedilord wrote: »
    Mike_ITA wrote: »
    YIn TB I could have better rewards if I decide to maximize my GP, why should I be penalized for focusing only on a team? Different situazion, same problem.

no it´s not the same problem, because your guildmates carry you over the TB (the selfish guy who seemingly does nothing for his guild) and additionally all who are participiating are getting the same rewards!

so if all who are participiating would get the same reward you can compare TB with grand arena^^

I don't agree. It's not matter of selfishness or not, it's a matter of what you like and what you don't like in this game. Do you prefer pvp? Pve? Both? You'll have different performance in some aspects of the game.
    In the match someone will always lose, if you are more pvp oriented you should have more victories that losses, why this is a problem?

What do you suggest as solution?
    Same numbers of G12? Or Zeta? Or G12 and zeta? Or G12, G11, zeta and number of mods over a certain speed? And which speed? Or numbers of 6E? Legendary unlocked? Types of team? Average time passed in the game? Number of characters at level 85?

don´t know what you are trying to say... you have compared TB with grand arena and you said it´s the same problem, which is definitely not. you are comparing apples with oranges

why are you asking me for a solution? i´m not a game developer. i´m not getting paid for creating a fair game. every suggestion you have made is still not a fair match but a lot better than comparing the whole GP (shipsgp included, even there are no shipbattles, though)
    i think thats the worst method... even if CG/EA had matched them together using their RNG (hated by everyone and everything... i have heard rumors that even the pandas in chengdu, china hates EA´s RNG) would be much better than what EA/CG had done^^
  • Ultra wrote: »
    BubbaFett wrote: »

Not word for word but from what I understood, and OP is right here, CG's intended spirit of the game was that gearing / leveling your roster should be rewarded and encouraged (make deep rosters). The game spirit is that invest in your toons and reap the rewards. To invest in your toons you need to gear them up. To gear them up, you need to level them up. So leveling toons is part of that game spirit

Its literally in the screenshot in the opening post that investing more deeply in a character should be rewarded and leveling up a toon is investing in that toon but Grand Arena encourages the opposite "only level toons you are absolutely going to use / need to be meta or else you will be outmatched"

Instead of having a wide roster strength its concentrated group of toons

No..... It had nothing to do with your roster or this type of game mode and what you keep putting in quotations is incorrect....

What you are saying about investing in a single chsracter, however, is absolutely correct and more in line with what they actually said...

There is a very big difference between encouraging players to take a character like zombie and level her to g10 plus and encouraging players to level all of their fluff toons to G8 and never use them.....