Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Also, I remember when Territory Battles came out they said that they were designed so that players could use all of their characters. However, that turned out to mean that you get to deploy them or use them in platoons, not actually battle with them (if you want to win).

It would be cool if players who have deep rosters were given modes that benefit having a deep roster. The GA is set up to benefit top heavy squads - much like most other game modes.

Finally, my biggest criticism of the Sith Raid was that it wasn't fun. The GA doesn't feel like it will check the fun box either. CG seems to still have forgotten that this is a game and new content should be fun to use, not just a means to develop squads more and more (which makes them money, I get it.....).
  • Nobody turned up for my first one, so free stuff for me. If it keeps going like that then this will be the best event ever.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    In the future will we be able to view our grand arena wins in our stats or somewhere?
  • 3pourr2 wrote: »
    In the future will we be able to view our grand arena wins in our stats or somewhere?
    It will probably be an achievement like TW. W/L recording will probably discourage people from pvp content.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Jellyglob wrote: »
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    It will probably be an achievement like TW. W/L recording will probably discourage people from pvp content.

Yes that would probably be the placement
  • Jellyglob
    45 posts Member
    edited December 2018

Placement doesn't carry over to the next GA. The players you played with you won't play again in GA.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Jellyglob wrote: »

Placement doesn't carry over to the next GA. The players you played with you won't play again in GA.

I meant placement for grand arena wins
  • I’m not very motivated to read the 27 pages but i’ve a question. Does the arena take your best galactic power, or the galactic power you actually have when the time of lock finish, in count ?
    I’m not near the 1.200k+ to test, but i would love to know the answer. Because playing with mods may change a future match if you are near the next or last step.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Did anyone ever say why they keep changing the start time? The last GA attempt was about four or five hours after normal event start time, this one is like 8 hours after normal event time..
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Gannon wrote: »
    Did anyone ever say why they keep changing the start time? The last GA attempt was about four or five hours after normal event start time, this one is like 8 hours after normal event time..

Because the first one failed so they started this one after they killed the first one.
  • 100% it uses the gp ur at when it locks
  • the second attempt at matchmaking is just as bad as the first time. grand arena is going to be no fun and ruin this game just like tournaments did at the time. i hope they wise up quicker than they did with tournaments apologize and say this is only a temporary feature that wont be a normal feature we will see routinely.

its very sad to see what this game is becoming. these events counter the design of other events and actually discourages spending in alot of cases. if they are as focused on making people spend as i think they would realize this is a very bad thing for the game.
  • SkiaRyder
    120 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I love it just hope it works now and I hope they make some tweaks, put more into the matchmaking than total gp. Oh and also make it where it auto sets defense even first time if they dont, otherwise very unfair to opponent.
  • Jellyglob
    45 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    This game mode sure punishes players for unlocking characters and having a fleet roster... I really wonder if anyone would use a low level rose tico against someone with a developed roster?
  • I’m going to reserve my judgement until I play a full one with the real rewards.

It is also pretty much a guarantee that new content will always be buggy. I’m sure that it’s a pitfall within this industry and that I am just very ignorant of it all. But the proof is just in the pudding lol

Sorry if this was mentioned in previous pages. Grad school and lesson planning got the better of me these last few days.
  • Is there a message or something that would say hey you're stupid and forgot to sign up for GA like TW when you don't have enough join. Or does it just say that there is no active event at this time?
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    The matchmaking is so bad I messaged my opponent in game and offered to put some bad teams on defense just so he could get 3 attack wins at least for the quest. Feel bad for him.

Me:
    8scfke8dg8s9.jpeg

Him
    q1mnbghcs5ha.jpeg
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    How come there are such drastic discrepancies in matchmaking still? My opponent and I have exactly the same number of g12s, and similar numbers of other tiers and stuff, but several ppl in my guild have double their opponents g12s, zetas, etc.
    You can literally pull the number of g12, 11,10 and zetas from the swgoh.gg website in a few seconds, and discord bots can compare two players on those same values plus several meta toons in less than a minute.
    So why can't the game match find directly comparable players for ppl? It's so hit or miss. Is it even factoring these things, or just throwing two equal gp players together and hoping for the best?
  • Rancor rai gear and mod salvage rewards?are you serious? This is a joke, similar to the difference in TW rewards but at least you get zetas there. I have no reason to try in this game mode
  • Awesome, my opponent has 100k more GP then me and stripped his mods on every toon G9 and below.

1st matchup my opponent was within 500 GP....

All this work for droid callers and mod salvage.... boring.

This isn't worth pushing TW for.
  • New match:
    Opponent: 1,982,877 GP
    Me: 1,982,875 GP

His ships are a bit stronger than mine, and my characters are a bit stronger than his, so I shouldn’t have any trouble winning.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    We need to experience what a full version run of this is like, so far the 2 guys against me have been terrible matchups for them. I still feel sorry for them.
  • Gorem wrote: »
    We need to experience what a full version run of this is like, so far the 2 guys against me have been terrible matchups for them. I still feel sorry for them.

Agree, need to see full version with ships
  • Rancor rai gear and mod salvage rewards?are you serious? This is a joke, similar to the difference in TW rewards but at least you get zetas there. I have no reason to try in this game mode

Those rewards are test version of grand arena aka "Season 0", real one will have diffrent rewards.
  • Merlando
    22 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Both matchups have been horrible for me. First opponent has 65 g12’s and average arena rank 4; second opponent has 85 g12’s and average arena rank 31. In comparison, I have 35 g12’s and average arena rank 97. I have 0 chance of winning. Matchup algorithm needs to be improved i.e. - factor in # of g12s and arena ranks, in addition to gp.
    Post edited by Merlando on
  • @CG_SBCrumb The GP brackets for number of squads required is severely skewed right now imo. The bracket width of 1.25M for the 2.75M-4M bracket is really large to accommodate variability in the ability to place 6 squads on defense (and have 6 for offense) for players at both ends of the spectrum. For someone at 2.75M, this is quite daunting as compared to someone at 3.99M. I am a player at the top end of arena with a very dense and top-heavy roster and I would still find it hard to come up with 12 squads at Gear 11+/12. Posting this since you asked for feedback on these initial trial runs.
    Thanks for listening.
  • I’m having concerns with GA. With this second attemp my opponent allied requested me and we began to talk. We both agree that eventhough that we are very close to the same GP his character roster is more advanced than mine but I have 150k more in ship than he does but we don’t get to use our ships??? If we don’t get to use the ships in the Grand Arena then they shouldn’t be part of the GP calculation. I will not be participating in this overly unbalanced Grand Arena.
    If the developers really want to know who really is #1 in all of SWGOH, just follow who pays the most. That is the way the game is set up. Pay to win.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    @CG_SBCrumb The GP brackets for number of squads required is severely skewed right now imo. The bracket width of 1.25M for the 2.75M-4M bracket is really large to accommodate variability in the ability to place 6 squads on defense (and have 6 for offense) for players at both ends of the spectrum. For someone at 2.75M, this is quite daunting as compared to someone at 3.99M. I am a player at the top end of arena with a very dense and top-heavy roster and I would still find it hard to come up with 12 squads at Gear 11+/12. Posting this since you asked for feedback on these initial trial runs.
    Thanks for listening.

When my friends and I first heard about GA, we theorized that the best way to do it was diminishing boards, like a tournament. It would account for more than just meta teams, and each team could only be used once across all matches. Like first round would be 5 defense, 5 offense, then 4, then 3 and so on until all teams are expended as the end, and the final match is 1v1.
    But that would give a much more tactical approach, as even every 50k half finished team would be a major factor in placement. I could finally use the clones I haven't touched in a year, or jawas I needed to unlock mods forever ago.
    I think that would be great! I would totally play that kind of tactics game.. But it'll prolly just be the same meta junk over and over again each round, each match...
  • jstehly wrote: »
    It would be cool if players who have deep rosters were given modes that benefit having a deep roster. The GA is set up to benefit top heavy squads - much like most other game modes.

^^^^^
  • Last match up was easier for me, this one looks much harder (he has 41 gear 12 toons against my 31, both have Traya, neither has Revan). Will put up a fight at leasts and it will be fun regardless Beaides, win or lose we both get rewards that we wouldn’t have gotten otherwise.