Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• It should be called. "Grand who has the weakest Fleet". To match make on GP is bad enough, but to include ship GP when ships aren't even in it is totally irritating. All the people who've played a long time are also penalised by upgrading things like jawas for critical damage mod challenge when they are completely useless now.
  • What would be REALLY AWESOME would be to Filter-Out Messages sent to Players, who are NOT (yet) Level 85! I'm (currently) Level 83 – and I'm receiving Messages, saying that I Didn't Join!
    Fix this Problem, Please?
    I Find Their Lack of Faith Disturbing!
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    DarthFugue wrote: »
    What would be REALLY AWESOME would be to Filter-Out Messages sent to Players, who are NOT (yet) Level 85! I'm (currently) Level 83 – and I'm receiving Messages, saying that I Didn't Join!
    Fix this Problem, Please?
    You cant participate if you’re not 85? But still get in game messages about event? That would be annoying
  • It should be called. "Grand who has the weakest Fleet". To match make on GP is bad enough, but to include ship GP when ships aren't even in it is totally irritating. All the people who've played a long time are also penalised by upgrading things like jawas for critical damage mod challenge when they are completely useless now.

I'm #1 in ships everyday. my ship gp is 1 million of my 2.4 million total, and I have no problem with match ups, im.going to guess the problem is with your actual roster, not with your ships being too strong
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Russdpipes wrote: »
    It should be called. "Grand who has the weakest Fleet". To match make on GP is bad enough, but to include ship GP when ships aren't even in it is totally irritating. All the people who've played a long time are also penalised by upgrading things like jawas for critical damage mod challenge when they are completely useless now.

I'm #1 in ships everyday. my ship gp is 1 million of my 2.4 million total, and I have no problem with match ups, im.going to guess the problem is with your actual roster, not with your ships being too strong

You are number one in arena and saying you have no problem with matchups? You realise you are part of the problem... right?

People who are like 2000 in arena should be going up against people 2000 in arena. When I look at my guy and see he is 1600 to my 43 I am like "Seriously, this is messed up". I look at he's focused in ships so much so that he had one G12 character.

Its people who have actually completely ignored squads because they enjoy ships more that really will lose out in this.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Gorem wrote: »
    It should be called. "Grand who has the weakest Fleet". To match make on GP is bad enough, but to include ship GP when ships aren't even in it is totally irritating. All the people who've played a long time are also penalised by upgrading things like jawas for critical damage mod challenge when they are completely useless now.

You are number one in arena and saying you have no problem with matchups? You realise you are part of the problem... right?

People who are like 2000 in arena should be going up against people 2000 in arena. When I look at my guy and see he is 1600 to my 43 I am like "Seriously, this is messed up". I look at he's focused in ships so much so that he had one G12 character.

Its people who have actually completely ignored squads because they enjoy ships more that really will lose out in this.

How does that system work if I drop arena? Older shards could have 3 million + gp and be 2000 rank.this doesn’t work.
  • It has been stated many times now: Ships will be included in GA eventually.
    This is just a practice GA for people to learn what it's about.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    3pourr2 wrote: »

How does that system work if I drop arena? Older shards could have 3 million + gp and be 2000 rank.this doesn’t work.

I think he means ppl with really weak toons, that can't get above like rank 2000 shouldn't be facing those who consistently are #1.
    Not positive tho lol
    I really wish they'd drop the"gp" and match based on what you Actually have. Being one of the older players that needed jawas and junk for mod challenges, it's lame that that may count against me in this.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Gannon wrote: »

I think he means ppl with really weak toons, that can't get above like rank 2000 shouldn't be facing those who consistently are #1.
    Not positive tho lol
    I really wish they'd drop the"gp" and match based on what you Actually have. Being one of the older players that needed jawas and junk for mod challenges, it's lame that that may count against me in this.

So the game must decide if they can or cant get above 2000,how? Shard age is a huge factor in this as it it game wide event. Cant those jawas help you get an offense win? Not saying they can clear a full team but maybe some clean up?
  • By the looks of it ship gp is included in this latest mess of grand arena.
    Being a person that works hard on building up my ships why am i being punished for it in grand arena match ups . I cant use my ships so why include the gp . I dont want to hear its just like this for now and ships will be added later so your whale food until then . Stop giving people reasons to leave and have abit of forsight before pumping out broken updates
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member

Not positive tho lol

So the game must decide if they can or cant get above 2000,how? Shard age is a huge factor in this as it it game wide event. Cant those jawas help you get an offense win? Not saying they can clear a full team but maybe some clean up?

Those jawa would be a lot more valuable if you had to place 15-20 defense teams rather than 7 at most.
  • Gorem wrote: »

how am I part of the problem? just because i havent neglected either roster? I'm 1 and 1 in both arenas. FTP also.
    you people fail to understand the concept of grand arena, and that future mitch making is going to be based upon how you prevail each time. if you happen to get matched out of your league and lose, next time you'll. be match to someone else that lossed. the point is to find the best player "in the galaxy". not about getting easy or hard match ups. let the ranking system get started before you guys start crying "unfair".
  • Naraic wrote: »

Not positive tho lol

Those jawa would be a lot more valuable if you had to place 15-20 defense teams rather than 7 at most.

I dont think adding higher squad needs will increase the value of anything.
  • Being at a minor disadvantage in the exhibition round in one aspect of the game is not being "punished."

Just take the challenge and do your best. The mode doesn't even really exist yet; we're in season zero.

Can we save the torches and pitchforks until the mode exists for real?
    Still not a he.
  • So VaeVizsla how long have you worked for EAs damage control ? As for the pitchforks they only come out when the masses get upset . Im not looking for votes on the worst company tactics im asking why include ship gp when i cant use them.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Being at a minor disadvantage in the exhibition round in one aspect of the game is not being "punished."

Just take the challenge and do your best. The mode doesn't even really exist yet; we're in season zero.

Can we save the torches and pitchforks until the mode exists for real?

This explained it all very nicely here.
  • Al it tells me is that im being used as a crash test dummy in a beta test
  • I think a better matchmaking system, now that I really sit down and hammer it out, would be (assuming no ships, like this current preview event) to only consider the Galactic Power of your top 40 characters. That way people who have strong, very developed secondary teams won't be punished, while people who have a whole bunch of g1/level 1/unmodded characters on their bench won't be rewarded.

If ships are included in the Grand Arena event... Eh. Maybe just don't include them in the matchmaking algorithm at all? There can't be more than two fleet deployments to defense, we simply don't have enough capital ships to allow you to attack more than two defenses, and even two attacks and two defenses is kind of asking a lot of players. So we're more likely to see just one defense fleet, and frankly if you can't beat one fleet with three successive fleets, you're just not developed enough.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

Not positive tho lol

I have no idea how, I can only assume that's what the guy meant tho lol
    And yea, jawas can clean up sometimes, but since we can't remove the gear and levels, it seems counterproductive to include all tat in matchmaking, ya know? Everyone knows by now that gp isn't a good judge of payers at all I think
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    So VaeVizsla how long have you worked for EAs damage control ?

Explaining reality is not the same thing as being a shill.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH

Who's "Al"?
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    dqj855cjlq26.jpeg
    personally, when I compare myself to opponents, this is what I look at. Cuz gp doesn't really mean anything in arena, war, GA..
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    The post indicates that in the real thing ships will be involved. No reason to freak out yet.
  • You have to admit, if some runs of GA are going to include ships and some aren’t, and if they are committed to basing the pairings on GP, it would make sense to exclude ship GP when the event doesn’t include ships.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • Gannon wrote: »

Not positive tho lol

I have no idea how, I can only assume that's what the guy meant tho lol
    And yea, jawas can clean up sometimes, but since we can't remove the gear and levels, it seems counterproductive to include all tat in matchmaking, ya know? Everyone knows by now that gp isn't a good judge of payers at all I think

The point is still roster development most people are missing the fact that 50 half developed characters was not ideal. Sure slow and steady may win the race but how long of a race are you running.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I do agree with that. I actually think it would make sense to pair people who are similar in both GP and character:ship GP ratio in the real thing.

But being mad because they are doing a limited test run before rolling out the real thing? I don’t get that.
  • the real problem with the actual matchmaking is that the only statistic in the match calculation script seems to be the galactic points
    why did they not include the number of G12 characters and the number of zetas in the algorithm it could solve a lot of mismatches..

i'm opposed to a player who have 30 gear 12 toons, i only have 2
    and he owns all the "god tier" heroes, i just began the game this summer and have none of them
    he is full of zetas (more than 25) i just have 3 characters with zetas
    for me it's an impossible battle and for him there is no challenge
  • Matchmaking gave me an opponent with almost the same amount of total GP.
    But since my ships are 300k GP stronger than my opponent their toon list has the advantage .. Al im asking is why .
    I would of liked ships to have started out in this beta test instead of two toon boxes , one could of been ships especially if the GP counts.
    But troll away al yas want. , il still have my say
  • Liath wrote: »
    I do agree with that. I actually think it would make sense to pair people who are similar in both GP and character:ship GP ratio in the real thing.

But being mad because they are doing a limited test run before rolling out the real thing? I don’t get that.

Honestly, the problem with matching based on total GP in a no-ships event is so obvious that it beggars belief that this could have even gone to beta this way. But worse yet, people were pointing out precisely this problem from the moment GA was announced, and asking for clarification whether ship GP was going to be included, because it would make the matchmaking worse in non-ship events. How did it go live, even in an exhibition format, with obvious problems that had already been pointed out to the devs on these very forums?
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
    Any continuously expanded game is in a constant beta state. No feature survives contact with the player base, and adding new features means there will be new problems.

If you put a thousand man-hours into testing a new feature, then introduce it to a hundred thousand players, the player base will have more man-hours engaged with that feature in less than a minute. Saying they should test better is ignorant of the fact that testing something as rigorously as the player base will is literally impossible.

So, yes. Yes, as someone playing a game that continuously has new content added, you ARE part of testing the game, and that is implicit to the structure of the game.

Grand arena had a limited launch to account for problems. There were problems. Grand arena will be refined. That's the cycle.
    Still not a he.