GP Matchmaking & “Fluff”

Replies

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    The GP component of matchmaking is most negatively impactful for long time players and most beneficial for newer players.

Long time players starred, geared, and leveled characters that are no longer as impactful as they once were. For example, Jawas had some use in the earlier days of the AAT when everyone was trying to get their 2% per phase. There are now better options for new players. And of course, the great Teebo for the Rancor. Just a few examples off the top of my head.

For new players, there are a lot of characters and limited resources. Chance are you didn't upgrade characters that have limited or no use for TW, TB, Raids or PVP. Of course, there are some people who just like characters and don't care about their utility, but they are more the exception then the rule.

Newer players are not going to be matched with long time players ....

If it's strictly based on GP they will. There are launch in near launch players in the 2 - 3 million GP range. They are plenty of newer whales in that GP range too. They may be few in the top 50, but there is a game outside the top 50 (I don't really believe that though, lol).

That will be fairly rare..... There will be whales to factor in at every GP level.... They will get competitive advantage, which is fine, that is what they are paying for..

Why would it be rare? If you spend, that moves you faster into the frontlines. A spender getting on someone with another similar level spender will be rare. It's a random fest çurrently. You will rarely ençounter something similar strength to your roster.
  • No_Try wrote: »
    The GP component of matchmaking is most negatively impactful for long time players and most beneficial for newer players.

Long time players starred, geared, and leveled characters that are no longer as impactful as they once were. For example, Jawas had some use in the earlier days of the AAT when everyone was trying to get their 2% per phase. There are now better options for new players. And of course, the great Teebo for the Rancor. Just a few examples off the top of my head.

For new players, there are a lot of characters and limited resources. Chance are you didn't upgrade characters that have limited or no use for TW, TB, Raids or PVP. Of course, there are some people who just like characters and don't care about their utility, but they are more the exception then the rule.

If it's strictly based on GP they will. There are launch in near launch players in the 2 - 3 million GP range. They are plenty of newer whales in that GP range too. They may be few in the top 50, but there is a game outside the top 50 (I don't really believe that though, lol).

That will be fairly rare..... There will be whales to factor in at every GP level.... They will get competitive advantage, which is fine, that is what they are paying for..

Why would it be rare? If you spend, that moves you faster into the frontlines. A spender getting on someone with another similar level spender will be rare. It's a random fest çurrently. You will rarely ençounter something similar strength to your roster.

The highway paradox: you encounter many more drivers going faster or slower than you are than you do drivers moving at a similar speed.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Strategy guides are already talking in these terms, taking our çurrent situation for granted. Half of it is how to behave in light of the çurrent matçhmaking algo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/a3zhum/grand_arena_strategy_tips/
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member

The funny thing is that the longer you’ve played and spent, the worse off you are vis-a-vis newer whales, because your roster will be cluttered with old meta toons, but there’s won’t.

Maybe, maybe not..... Unless the newer whales are also buying the same fluff toons, their GP won't be as high.....

They won't be buying characters that used to be meta long ago, like droids. For older players, those are just fluff now.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    We çould just assign any arbitrary rule as the algo, let's say you put numbers on toons in their order of release and just add up those numbers, that would be as good as a matçhmaker as GP. Any algorithm that doesn't take into çonsideration value of items in the game is as suçh.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    See I think GA should have temporary fluff toons get bonuses like TW did. That will make collectors happy.
    Those none meta toon bonuses would make GA way more fun and keep it from getting boring seeing as everyone puts up the same defence all the time in TW and soon GA.
  • Nauros wrote: »

The funny thing is that the longer you’ve played and spent, the worse off you are vis-a-vis newer whales, because your roster will be cluttered with old meta toons, but there’s won’t.

Maybe, maybe not..... Unless the newer whales are also buying the same fluff toons, their GP won't be as high.....

They won't be buying characters that used to be meta long ago, like droids. For older players, those are just fluff now.

Exactly.... So newer whales won't be matched against older whales as they won't have droid fluff....
  • Austin9370 wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

Exactly.... So newer whales won't be matched against older whales as they won't have droid fluff....

Reading through your comments, I think you just talk to talk. The whole point is these newer whales won't waste "fluff" on less important characters, however, they will be putting these resources on better characters. 100k of GP on garbage characters vs Meta Characters is still 100k of GP.

And what exactly is your point?.....
  • Austin9370 wrote: »

Reading through your comments, I think you just talk to talk. The whole point is these newer whales won't waste "fluff" on less important characters, however, they will be putting these resources on better characters. 100k of GP on garbage characters vs Meta Characters is still 100k of GP.

You responded to my comment earlier and thus people eventually responded to you alluding you're wrong. My intent with the latest point is to make sure you are aware that others know you just ramble because....well I don't really know. lol

Except I'm not..... And nobody has proven otherwise.....

Quite frankly, other then fallen, all I see complaining are a bunch of players wanting a free ride for having made poor choices..... At least he is willing to compete at a lower level and receive lower rewards....
  • Grandarena is bad and CG should feel bad.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »
    Strategy guides are already talking in these terms, taking our çurrent situation for granted. Half of it is how to behave in light of the çurrent matçhmaking algo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/a3zhum/grand_arena_strategy_tips/

Duh? What would be the point of a strategy guide that wasn’t based on the reality of how it works?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member

You responded to my comment earlier and thus people eventually responded to you alluding you're wrong. My intent with the latest point is to make sure you are aware that others know you just ramble because....well I don't really know. lol

Quite frankly, other then fallen, all I see complaining are a bunch of players wanting a free ride for having made poor choices..... At least he is willing to compete at a lower level and receive lower rewards....

Dunno, man, you must be reading different forum. I see people who want to actually have fun, even matches as opposed to the lopsided ones we got so far.
  • Nauros wrote: »

Dunno, man, you must be reading different forum. I see people who want to actually have fun, even matches as opposed to the lopsided ones we got so far.

I see people wanting to have fun..... I get that.... But fallen seems to be the only one that has even brushed upon competing for lesser rewards.....

Mostly I see players wanting to collect useless junk and gear it up for TB and expect to do as well as everyone else in every game mode..... A lot of people that want a tailored matchup to compensate for their choices (which would punish those of us that didn't make these poor choices), and the usual crowd that generally Hayes the game and complains about it with every change, yet for some reason, continues to play.....
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »

Duh? What would be the point of a strategy guide that wasn’t based on the reality of how it works?

Nothing. But I'm not taking it for granted, will fight for a çhange however long it takes.
  • I'm focused on getting the most return for my resources. I can take #1 in fleet and arena at will, and I'm top 3-5 in every raid. I have a couple good teams and several more who are geared enough for the legendaries I farmed them to unlock. Some of those (i.e. First Order) I'll circle back to after I have more important STR teams fine.

My one complaint about Grand Arena is that I've been matched both times against players whose GP is based almost entirely on characters while half of mine is from ships. I've been playing just under 7 months, and this is the first time I've regretted having a relatively deep ship roster.

• I'm focused on getting the most return for my resources. I can take #1 in fleet and arena at will, and I'm top 3-5 in every raid. I have a couple good teams and several more who are geared enough for the legendaries I farmed them to unlock. Some of those (i.e. First Order) I'll circle back to after I have more important STR teams fine.

My one complaint about Grand Arena is that I've been matched both times against players whose GP is based almost entirely on characters while half of mine is from ships. I've been playing just under 7 months, and this is the first time I've regretted having a relatively deep ship roster.

You take 1 in fleets every day so that’s 400 crystals a day and 12,000 a month solely from ships. If that investment costs you a few droid caller salvage in this matchmaking a few times a month, I’ve got some great news for you...

You can buy almost 9 full prototypes with all those crystals.
  • BrtStlnd wrote: »
    I'm focused on getting the most return for my resources. I can take #1 in fleet and arena at will, and I'm top 3-5 in every raid. I have a couple good teams and several more who are geared enough for the legendaries I farmed them to unlock. Some of those (i.e. First Order) I'll circle back to after I have more important STR teams fine.

You take 1 in fleets every day so that’s 400 crystals a day and 12,000 a month solely from ships. If that investment costs you a few droid caller salvage in this matchmaking a few times a month, I’ve got some great news for you...

How many times does somebody have to say it’s not about the rewards, it’s about the quality of the competition?
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    I'm focused on getting the most return for my resources. I can take #1 in fleet and arena at will, and I'm top 3-5 in every raid. I have a couple good teams and several more who are geared enough for the legendaries I farmed them to unlock. Some of those (i.e. First Order) I'll circle back to after I have more important STR teams fine.

How many times does somebody have to say it’s not about the rewards, it’s about the quality of the competition?

Isn’t someone concentrating on ships making a conscious choice to be more competitive there to the detriment of other areas of the game?

We’ve all made thousands of decisions about where to place our resources in this game. There are literally an infinite amount of progression trees to be made by hundreds of thousands of players. GP is a measure of the number of resources that have been placed in your account. It’s not the only measure but it’s a decent one.

Also they’ve said ships are coming to GA, so that aspect of your roster will be tested against others.

Isn’t someone concentrating on ships making a conscious choice to be more competitive there to the detriment of other areas of the game?

We’ve all made thousands of decisions about where to place our resources in this game. There are literally an infinite amount of progression trees to be made by hundreds of thousands of players. GP is a measure of the number of resources that have been placed in your account. It’s not the only measure but it’s a decent one.

Also they’ve said ships are coming to GA, so that aspect of your roster will be tested against others.

So he can get a matchup he can’t win in squads and a matchup he can’t lose in fleet? How is that fun?

So he can get a matchup he can’t win in squads and a matchup he can’t lose in fleet? How is that fun?

It is going to be a tournament style event with winners vs winners and losers vs losers... the competitiveness will sharpen itself going forward.

It is going to be a tournament style event with winners vs winners and losers vs losers... the competitiveness will sharpen itself going forward.

People keep saying this, but it’s wrong. It will get better for the duration of one three-round event, and then revert to the pure GP matchmaking we’ve just seen. If you have seen the devs say anything to the contrary, please enlighten me.

People keep saying this, but it’s wrong. It will get better for the duration of one three-round event, and then revert to the pure GP matchmaking we’ve just seen. If you have seen the devs say anything to the contrary, please enlighten me.

Look, this is a literally a competition to find out who is the best PvP player in the game. You will not play the same person twice and will get literally hundreds of matchups before a winner or group of winners is declared. Everyone else will lose.

If you’re paired up with only “collectors” or players with “fluff” and keep beating them, you’re going to work your way to stiffer competition and get drummed by someone eventually. People with PvP focused rosters stand a better chance of progressing further... no one will stay in their little section of collectors with fluff for very long.

Look, this is a literally a competition to find out who is the best PvP player in the game. You will not play the same person twice and will get literally hundreds of matchups before a winner or group of winners is declared. Everyone else will lose.

If you’re paired up with only “collectors” or players with “fluff” and keep beating them, you’re going to work your way to stiffer competition and get drummed by someone eventually. People with PvP focused rosters stand a better chance of progressing further... no one will stay in their little section of collectors with fluff for very long.

Citation?
  • Fallen has a great mindset.....
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I am pretty sure this is not true.

we have not seen anything saying that matchmaking will not be random at the start of each event. which will be 8 players randomly grouped. after that yes, rounds 2 and 3 will be record driven.
  • Kyno wrote: »

we have not seen anything saying that matchmaking will not be random at the start of each event. which will be 8 players randomly grouped. after that yes, rounds 2 and 3 will be record driven.

In one of the announcements they said you wouldn’t play the same person twice.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

@BrtStlnd would you mind linking that post. I dont recall reading that.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

@BrtStlnd would you mind linking that post. I dont recall reading that.

They said it. There’s a screenshot in one of the other threads. As usual, it’s somewhat unclear whether they meant you wouldn’t play the same person twice ever, or just over the course of a single three-round event.