Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Al it tells me is that im being used as a crash test dummy in a beta test
    Any continuously expanded game is in a constant beta state. No feature survives contact with the player base, and adding new features means there will be new problems.

If you put a thousand man-hours into testing a new feature, then introduce it to a hundred thousand players, the player base will have more man-hours engaged with that feature in less than a minute. Saying they should test better is ignorant of the fact that testing something as rigorously as the player base will is literally impossible.

So, yes. Yes, as someone playing a game that continuously has new content added, you ARE part of testing the game, and that is implicit to the structure of the game.

Grand arena had a limited launch to account for problems. There were problems. Grand arena will be refined. That's the cycle.

That’s quite possibly a reasonable explanation for the crashing problem in the previous event. But they could run the matchmaking algorithm server-side just to see what the results were. And they could have seen that on any number of metrics it was creating uncompetitive matchups. They don’t have to have it perfect on launch, but there’s no excuse for the quality of the matchmaking that we’re seeing.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • 3pourr2 wrote: »
    DarthFugue wrote: »
    What would be REALLY AWESOME would be to Filter-Out Messages sent to Players, who are NOT (yet) Level 85! I'm (currently) Level 83 – and I'm receiving Messages, saying that I Didn't Join!
    Fix this Problem, Please?
    You cant participate if you’re not 85? But still get in game messages about event? That would be annoying

I Agree, which is WHY I'm asking – VERY NICELY – for them to Fix it!
    I Find Their Lack of Faith Disturbing!
  • As i see it forsight and testing is the job of the game makers just like any other product offered to the public .
    We are the pressured cashcows as it is and now it feels like we do this "testing" at our own expense to save EA money at the price of the games quality as well as upset gamers .
  • there is no problem with matchmaking, grand arena is supposed to curtail the matchmaking process every time there is a new event based on wins and losses, and pair you with harder opponents if you win and easier opponents if you lose. all to sort out who the best player in the "galaxy" is.
    matching people on in such a convoluted manner would be the total antithesis of what the intent of grand arena is
  • Posting this here too, just in case. Since it looks like I'm beeing censored, I can't say for sure this message won't disappear...

Bascially the message sent by GA's matching only by pure GP is :
    Don't unlock toons you don't use, don't star up toons you don't use, because if you do so, even if they stay at gear 1 level 1, you'll get penalized as eventually they'll be compared to g12 toons in GA.

So it really has nothing to do with playstyle or strategy, unless actually not unlocking/staring up toons for who you do have the shards already (and I could pretty much include zetas and gear in this but let's keep it simple) is a strategy. So, what I should have really done is keep all those toons ready to be unlocked but not push the "activate" button ? Short version, players should hold off everything (locked characters, gear, zeta, ...) in order to just play with a small part of what's available.

I don't know, but I really doubt that's the message EA/CG want to send. That would basically tell everyone to slow down on spending and such (pretty much like the paper zombi case).

Let's be clear the "having revan/traya..." parameter is not what I'm talking about. This shouldn't be a factor. You don't have those toons but your oponent does, well sucks for you, but you still can focus on other squads.
    But when your oponent has a lot more G12, more G11... This is not a fair match, this isn't even a "match" at all... If at least dozens of undergeared toons had a shot at taking down a G12 team, the GP matching would begin to make some sense. But we all know that's not the case.
    These mismatches are not fun for any of the 2 players, or anyone that would be watching for that matter. You can already see both complaining and I fear this GA mode might be taking the same path as the old Tournaments. Players may just end up registering grab whatever reward they're given and forget it.

And to everyone saying stuff like "it's not that simple to make a matchmaking with so much variables" and the likes. We're not in the stone age anymore. Computer and programs are perfectly able to do such a trivial task. It's nothing really. Other games have no problem with that. Hell, even I wouldn't take more than 1 hour to write an algorythm that can do just that for this game. I'm pretty confident CG's dev team can do it too.

Thanks for your time anyway. I hope the right people are watching. I'll be waiting to see how it goes from there.
  • TWings wrote: »
    Posting this here too, just in case. Since it looks like I'm beeing censored, I can't say for sure this message won't disappear...

Bascially the message sent by GA's matching only by pure GP is :
    Don't unlock toons you don't use, don't star up toons you don't use, because if you do so, even if they stay at gear 1 level 1, you'll get penalized as eventually they'll be compared to g12 toons in GA.

So it really has nothing to do with playstyle or strategy, unless actually not unlocking/staring up toons for who you do have the shards already (and I could pretty much include zetas and gear in this but let's keep it simple) is a strategy. So, what I should have really done is keep all those toons ready to be unlocked but not push the "activate" button ? Short version, players should hold off everything (locked characters, gear, zeta, ...) in order to just play with a small part of what's available.

I don't know, but I really doubt that's the message EA/CG want to send. That would basically tell everyone to slow down on spending and such (pretty much like the paper zombi case).

Let's be clear the "having revan/traya..." parameter is not what I'm talking about. This shouldn't be a factor. You don't have those toons but your oponent does, well sucks for you, but you still can focus on other squads.
    But when your oponent has a lot more G12, more G11... This is not a fair match, this isn't even a "match" at all... If at least dozens of undergeared toons had a shot at taking down a G12 team, the GP matching would begin to make some sense. But we all know that's not the case.
    These mismatches are not fun for any of the 2 players, or anyone that would be watching for that matter. You can already see both complaining and I fear this GA mode might be taking the same path as the old Tournaments. Players may just end up registering grab whatever reward they're given and forget it.

And to everyone saying stuff like "it's not that simple to make a matchmaking with so much variables" and the likes. We're not in the stone age anymore. Computer and programs are perfectly able to do such a trivial task. It's nothing really. Other games have no problem with that. Hell, even I wouldn't take more than 1 hour to write an algorythm that can do just that for this game. I'm pretty confident CG's dev team can do it too.

Thanks for your time anyway. I hope the right people are watching. I'll be waiting to see how it goes from there.

This soo much
  • Russdpipes wrote: »
    there is no problem with matchmaking, grand arena is supposed to curtail the matchmaking process every time there is a new event based on wins and losses, and pair you with harder opponents if you win and easier opponents if you lose. all to sort out who the best player in the "galaxy" is.
    matching people on in such a convoluted manner would be the total antithesis of what the intent of grand arena is

I think you’re misunderstanding what the devs have said about matchmaking in future events. (I “think” because they haven’t been as clear on this point as they could have been). If your understanding were correct, that over the long haul, you get progressively tougher competition by winning, and progressively weaker competition by losing, that would answer my objections.

But the way I understand the matchmaking, the intention is to pair us at the beginning of each event using the same algorithm they just used: matching by pure GP. Now, when we’re in the group of 8 in future events, the matchmaking will get progressively better throughout THAT event, as we’re paired with players who have the same W/L records in THAT event. But at the beginning of the next event, the algorithm goes back to being just as bad as it was a the beginning.

Devs, correct me if I’m wrong.
    there is no problem with matchmaking, grand arena is supposed to curtail the matchmaking process every time there is a new event based on wins and losses, and pair you with harder opponents if you win and easier opponents if you lose. all to sort out who the best player in the "galaxy" is.

But they have said none of this. I’m not sure where people are getting it from.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Al it tells me is that im being used as a crash test dummy in a beta test
    Any continuously expanded game is in a constant beta state. No feature survives contact with the player base, and adding new features means there will be new problems.

If you put a thousand man-hours into testing a new feature, then introduce it to a hundred thousand players, the player base will have more man-hours engaged with that feature in less than a minute. Saying they should test better is ignorant of the fact that testing something as rigorously as the player base will is literally impossible.

So, yes. Yes, as someone playing a game that continuously has new content added, you ARE part of testing the game, and that is implicit to the structure of the game.

Grand arena had a limited launch to account for problems. There were problems. Grand arena will be refined. That's the cycle.

That’s quite possibly a reasonable explanation for the crashing problem in the previous event. But they could run the matchmaking algorithm server-side just to see what the results were. And they could have seen that on any number of metrics it was creating uncompetitive matchups. They don’t have to have it perfect on launch, but there’s no excuse for the quality of the matchmaking that we’re seeing.

That presumes that they are interested in making the matches competitive for you. They are probably more interested in incentivizing you to make yourself more competitive relative to others.

0ivfn5kzskdi.jpg
    Russdpipes wrote: »

0ivfn5kzskdi.jpg

I’ll admit that this isn’t 100% clear, but I think they’re only talking about a 3-round tournament of 8 players here. There is no plan to actually seed the winners into a later tournament. Later runs of the event just start over with GP-based matchmaking again.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Let's be patient and see how it works in the end, then we can all be disappointed together. 😂

0ivfn5kzskdi.jpg

The only part of this that talks about wins is talking about win/loss within a single GA event deciding the pairings in rounds 2/3 of that event. You are misreading whichever part you think is saying it will be used for matchmaking in future GA events.

I don't know how it could be interpreted that way, but you are certainly not alone in doing it I guess.
  • As i see it forsight and testing is the job of the game makers just like any other product offered to the public .
    We are the pressured cashcows as it is and now it feels like we do this "testing" at our own expense to save EA money at the price of the games quality as well as upset gamers .

If I'm understanding you, correctly – and, I think that I am – then, Yeah, We are doing Their job, for them, and NOT GETTING PAID, for it!
    I Find Their Lack of Faith Disturbing!
  • Acymetric wrote: »

0ivfn5kzskdi.jpg

The only part of this that talks about wins is talking about win/loss within a single GA event deciding the pairings in rounds 2/3 of that event. You are misreading whichever part you think is saying it will be used for matchmaking in future GA events.

I don't know how it could be interpreted that way, but you are certainly not alone in doing it I guess.

Win/loss should be taken into account. Not fair to continuously go up against revan/traya teams if you dont have them
  • Why is grand arena based on total GP? My opponents character GP is almost 50K GP less than mine but because ofbships our total GP is tied...

Ships aren't involved in grand arena so my real question is how many brain cells does it take to set a bare matchmaking algorithm. I'm not asking for much here... Just GP scores... Is that so hard? Apparently...
  • I'm liking it so far, I just have a question:
    So... if you use a 1 man Squad on Offense, and everything goes perfect (you finish with full health and full protection) you get 64 banners, but if you enter with a full squad you get 60?

Isn't the difference too little to be even worth it?
  • Einstein wrote: »
    I'm liking it so far, I just have a question:
    So... if you use a 1 man Squad on Offense, and everything goes perfect (you finish with full health and full protection) you get 64 banners, but if you enter with a full squad you get 60?

No, you get 40 banners PER empty slot. So if you did it with one character you would get 160 bonus banners.

There HAS to be some sort of limitation, though, otherwise the optimal strategy is to beat up your opponent until they're down to 1 character, maybe even pound them down to half health, then let the timer run down. Come in with a second squad that's just one strong character, cherry-tap them, get 188 banners.

...Shoot. I should have done that.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Ugnaught
    481 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    NicWester wrote: »
    Einstein wrote: »
    I'm liking it so far, I just have a question:

No, you get 40 banners PER empty slot. So if you did it with one character you would get 160 bonus banners.

There HAS to be some sort of limitation, though, otherwise the optimal strategy is to beat up your opponent until they're down to 1 character, maybe even pound them down to half health, then let the timer run down. Come in with a second squad that's just one strong character, cherry-tap them, get 188 banners.

...Shoot. I should have done that.

No, 4 per slot, read the post on scoring from a couple days ago
  • The rewards seem lackluster.

This is just two other game modes repackaged. In other words, we have been given another chore.

I realize this was not the full release but it sure seems like it will be all the same tw and arena teams required. Same strategies. Same zetas. Same team comps.

Not a single battle should be 5man. 3, 4, or 6. Then 2 random factions that get special bonuses and they change each time.

Such potential and it looks like it is going to so bland. I hope I am wrong... But I am not excited about this... :(
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Yup only 4 and 10 for second attempt win for 26
    lr5xkg0yy3da.jpeg
  • R_Val_17
    144 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Be patient...
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I like the mode but the lack of defenses needs to be fixed. Let it auto-assign defended GW style if your opponent doesn't set any
  • Nice balance you CG ****, always greedy well screw you.
  • Matchmaking should be on gear score alone.
  • @CG_SBCrumb
    I have a suggestion for the Grand Arena (GA). Make the phases 12 hours like Territory Wars was originally intended. The GA is individual PvP so the amount of time needed to strategize and set defenses should be much less that of TW. The game mode seems fun so far but 24 hours seems like overkill.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Meh GA is horrible. Its so horrible i cannot make suggestions until we see the full horrible version...

It really is depressingly clear how much cool ship confent we could have had by now or anything thats actually fun.... TW is fun because its a team event....

This is just boring and pointless

Much like HSTR causing a powe gap with gear this nonsense will prob create a power gap with mods.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    @CG_SBCrumb
    I have a suggestion for the Grand Arena (GA). Make the phases 12 hours like Territory Wars was originally intended. The GA is individual PvP so the amount of time needed to strategize and set defenses should be much less that of TW. The game mode seems fun so far but 24 hours seems like overkill.

Kyno already pointed out why they wont do this... but creating this horrible thing and stretching it out over 3 days with 15 minutes of gameplay is the worst pile of dung ever thought of....

First 48 hrs takes 3 minutes tops then not beating revan and traya teams takes 15 seconds tops FUN SOOoOoOooOoOo fun.... it is not
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    R_Val_17 wrote: »
    Be patient...

No its horrible 3v3 will be horrible and one small ship node they will add will be horrible.... its just bad.... click join come back in 3 days collect junk the end 1 min effort. Mm

The ppl who spend all dat monies will get their gold mod stuff so they will be even stronger ensuring your constant defeat...

Just dont get caught up in the psych trap they playing on you