Replies

• Kyno wrote: »
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I'm focused on getting the most return for my resources. I can take #1 in fleet and arena at will, and I'm top 3-5 in every raid. I have a couple good teams and several more who are geared enough for the legendaries I farmed them to unlock. Some of those (i.e. First Order) I'll circle back to after I have more important STR teams fine.

My one complaint about Grand Arena is that I've been matched both times against players whose GP is based almost entirely on characters while half of mine is from ships. I've been playing just under 7 months, and this is the first time I've regretted having a relatively deep ship roster.

You take 1 in fleets every day so that’s 400 crystals a day and 12,000 a month solely from ships. If that investment costs you a few droid caller salvage in this matchmaking a few times a month, I’ve got some great news for you...

You can buy almost 9 full prototypes with all those crystals.

How many times does somebody have to say it’s not about the rewards, it’s about the quality of the competition?

Isn’t someone concentrating on ships making a conscious choice to be more competitive there to the detriment of other areas of the game?

We’ve all made thousands of decisions about where to place our resources in this game. There are literally an infinite amount of progression trees to be made by hundreds of thousands of players. GP is a measure of the number of resources that have been placed in your account. It’s not the only measure but it’s a decent one.

Also they’ve said ships are coming to GA, so that aspect of your roster will be tested against others.

So he can get a matchup he can’t win in squads and a matchup he can’t lose in fleet? How is that fun?

It is going to be a tournament style event with winners vs winners and losers vs losers... the competitiveness will sharpen itself going forward.

People keep saying this, but it’s wrong. It will get better for the duration of one three-round event, and then revert to the pure GP matchmaking we’ve just seen. If you have seen the devs say anything to the contrary, please enlighten me.

Look, this is a literally a competition to find out who is the best PvP player in the game. You will not play the same person twice and will get literally hundreds of matchups before a winner or group of winners is declared. Everyone else will lose.

I am pretty sure this is not true.

we have not seen anything saying that matchmaking will not be random at the start of each event. which will be 8 players randomly grouped. after that yes, rounds 2 and 3 will be record driven.

In one of the announcements they said you wouldn’t play the same person twice.

@BrtStlnd would you mind linking that post. I dont recall reading that.

q0uiuhotou20.png

Here you go. I suppose it is ambiguous as to whether or not they mean in one event or ever again.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I'm focused on getting the most return for my resources. I can take #1 in fleet and arena at will, and I'm top 3-5 in every raid. I have a couple good teams and several more who are geared enough for the legendaries I farmed them to unlock. Some of those (i.e. First Order) I'll circle back to after I have more important STR teams fine.

My one complaint about Grand Arena is that I've been matched both times against players whose GP is based almost entirely on characters while half of mine is from ships. I've been playing just under 7 months, and this is the first time I've regretted having a relatively deep ship roster.

You take 1 in fleets every day so that’s 400 crystals a day and 12,000 a month solely from ships. If that investment costs you a few droid caller salvage in this matchmaking a few times a month, I’ve got some great news for you...

How many times does somebody have to say it’s not about the rewards, it’s about the quality of the competition?

Isn’t someone concentrating on ships making a conscious choice to be more competitive there to the detriment of other areas of the game?

We’ve all made thousands of decisions about where to place our resources in this game. There are literally an infinite amount of progression trees to be made by hundreds of thousands of players. GP is a measure of the number of resources that have been placed in your account. It’s not the only measure but it’s a decent one.

Also they’ve said ships are coming to GA, so that aspect of your roster will be tested against others.

So he can get a matchup he can’t win in squads and a matchup he can’t lose in fleet? How is that fun?

It is going to be a tournament style event with winners vs winners and losers vs losers... the competitiveness will sharpen itself going forward.

People keep saying this, but it’s wrong. It will get better for the duration of one three-round event, and then revert to the pure GP matchmaking we’ve just seen. If you have seen the devs say anything to the contrary, please enlighten me.

Look, this is a literally a competition to find out who is the best PvP player in the game. You will not play the same person twice and will get literally hundreds of matchups before a winner or group of winners is declared. Everyone else will lose.

we have not seen anything saying that matchmaking will not be random at the start of each event. which will be 8 players randomly grouped. after that yes, rounds 2 and 3 will be record driven.

@BrtStlnd would you mind linking that post. I dont recall reading that.

They said it. There’s a screenshot in one of the other threads. As usual, it’s somewhat unclear whether they meant you wouldn’t play the same person twice ever, or just over the course of a single three-round event.

o0z85x5s546h.png
    ok. i see this as the closest thing, but clearly this is saying its still possible.
  • Who wanted GA anyway?
  • I'm speaking from the vantage point of a person that was greatly favored from the matchmaking. Both me and my opponent are 2.7 million. However, I have 22 G12 chars and have been building squads for HSTR. My opponent only had 1 G12 char and no viable squads. It was/is a bloodbath. It wasn't remotely intetesting for me, and I'm sure didn't feel fair at all to my opponent. We never should have been pitted against each other, regardless of similar GP. Some algorithm that takes into account strength of rosters/squads in a player's inventory would deliver more equal matches.
  • I'm speaking from the vantage point of a person that was greatly favored from the matchmaking. Both me and my opponent are 2.7 million. However, I have 22 G12 chars and have been building squads for HSTR. My opponent only had 1 G12 char and no viable squads. It was/is a bloodbath. It wasn't remotely intetesting for me, and I'm sure didn't feel fair at all to my opponent. We never should have been pitted against each other, regardless of similar GP. Some algorithm that takes into account strength of rosters/squads in a player's inventory would deliver more equal matches.

This and same with TW
  • I’ll just leave this right here. Grand arena isn’t for people that fluff up theirs rosters and don’t play to win it seems. Top is me bottom is opponent.

m3bacce50iyu.jpeg

CG Devs: "Ah, but then we'd have to update the algorithm every time we add new characters to the game, and any time we introduce added gear levels...."

Us: "Yep, Do matchmaking right."

CG: "GP will work fine. The other way is hard."

If we're still going to rely on GP as the matchmaking tool then certain abilities should be looked at again. I wonder how much Darth Traya's Unique Zetas compare GP-wise to Stormtrooper's.Zeta, for example. There are just so many characters that are not viable competitively that probably have higher GP than they should (Jawas, Ugnaught, CUP, Tuskens, Separatists, etc.)
  • VERY poorly implemented game mode. They can't program it more fairly/accurately so they release one arbitrary mode.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    I'm speaking from the vantage point of a person that was greatly favored from the matchmaking. Both me and my opponent are 2.7 million. However, I have 22 G12 chars and have been building squads for HSTR. My opponent only had 1 G12 char and no viable squads. It was/is a bloodbath. It wasn't remotely intetesting for me, and I'm sure didn't feel fair at all to my opponent. We never should have been pitted against each other, regardless of similar GP. Some algorithm that takes into account strength of rosters/squads in a player's inventory would deliver more equal matches.

Precisely. GP alone is a decent starting point, but further refinement is needed.
  • rokota
    166 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I think it would be best to calculate the matching not over the whole GP but just over the best 50-70 toons! This would include any Zeta and/or G12+ and could avoid horrible mismatching for players who have a lot of mediocre toons leveled.
  • The millenial is very strong in this thread.....
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

BrtStlnd would you mind linking that post. I dont recall reading that.

q0uiuhotou20.png

Here you go. I suppose it is ambiguous as to whether or not they mean in one event or ever again.

Yes it is a little, but the paragraph is in the context of the event, which is stated in that sentence.

I will check with him but that seems clear that they are saying you will not face the same person in the group of 8 2 times.

Thanks for posting that for me.
  • avins
    32 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    i've just loss this round against a player with poor fleet and wider arena roster... i really hope there will be always a slot for fleet. i could 110% win this round since enemy had no fleet team able to beat my second weaker fleet team...
  • Kyno wrote: »

q0uiuhotou20.png

Yes it is a little, but the paragraph is in the context of the event, which is stated in that sentence.

I will check with him but that seems clear that they are saying you will not face the same person in the group of 8 2 times.

That would be great, thanks. In my head, when I read it, I heard that you wouldn’t face the same opponent twice in future matches. I could be wrong.
  • BrtStlnd wrote: »

q0uiuhotou20.png

That would be great, thanks. In my head, when I read it, I heard that you wouldn’t face the same opponent twice in future matches. I could be wrong.

I think that the probability of facing the same person twice in a global event is so low that making sure it doesn't happen would be a waste of effort.
  • CG need to release more detail about the matchmaking system, otherwise there will always be noise on the forums.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    The millenial is very strong in this thread.....

The old man yelling "get off my lawn you kids" is strong as well..

What about Gen Z though? ;)
  • Matchmaking by GP will be adapted by players of course. It currently punish people who level up GP to help guild progress in TB. So over time, people will change to more selfish:) I don’t think matchmaking by GP test skills. Perhaps CG should rotate matchmaking criteria so not a single roster strategy will dominate. As of now, someone who keep an army of toons inactivated and not leveled will win easily:)

Personally I would have loved occasionally a matchmaking criteria solely based on spent level:) CG keeps track of that so it would be a fun strategy to lay claim who is the better player who spent the same amount of money:)
  • CaptainRex wrote: »
    well you just created a game mode , that will stop the powering up of all non meta toons , to keep gp low to face much easier opponents. Does not make much sense.
    And as far as i know total GP also includes ships even though none can be used. Which is another handicap to those who actually use and worked on a bunch of ships.

I think the whole "fluff" thing is way overblown. I have a 7* Lobot. He's lvl 85, G7, all abilities to lvl 7 except the leader is maxed and he has 6 tier 5 mods on him. He's 12,316. Even if I had 10 of those guys, that's 120k out of my 3.239 mil GP.....hardly enough to make any significant difference in Grand Arena matchmaking one way or the other.

@Vos_Landeck Observe my guildmate's matchup.
    image0.jpg?width=347&height=601
    image0.jpg?width=335&height=600

GP is almost identical. However, notice the disparity in G12 toons versus G11/10/9, and especially G8.

And I think it's OK that Noe loses that battle...
  • CaptainRex wrote: »
    well you just created a game mode , that will stop the powering up of all non meta toons , to keep gp low to face much easier opponents. Does not make much sense.
    And as far as i know total GP also includes ships even though none can be used. Which is another handicap to those who actually use and worked on a bunch of ships.

I think the whole "fluff" thing is way overblown. I have a 7* Lobot. He's lvl 85, G7, all abilities to lvl 7 except the leader is maxed and he has 6 tier 5 mods on him. He's 12,316. Even if I had 10 of those guys, that's 120k out of my 3.239 mil GP.....hardly enough to make any significant difference in Grand Arena matchmaking one way or the other.

@Vos_Landeck Observe my guildmate's matchup.
    image0.jpg?width=347&height=601
    image0.jpg?width=335&height=600

GP is almost identical. However, notice the disparity in G12 toons versus G11/10/9, and especially G8.

And I think it's OK that Noe loses that battle...

And i think it was silly for that matchup to happen, certainly didnt give either player a good match. Then youll complain if Noe doesnt set a defense for the other guy to destroy. Because its literally a waste of his time
  • 7AnimalMother
    2053 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Place 2 Olympic level runners in a race, the can both have the best mile times and may even be close.

One runs marathons and the other shorter races.

They are equals athletically and in many respects, but one will have a clear advantage in a marathon.

It's about how you build your roster and how you develop in the game. If you developed more competitively or not. That's the players choice.

This isn't completely accurate. Back when Territory Bore was announced, many of us took all of our trash toons (of which there are many) and leveled them to 85, geared them to 8, and slapped on mods in order to help increase GP for the game mode and help out our guilds.

Did this act impede our ability to construct a "competitive" roster? I'd argue no, not really. Credits at the top end of the game are plentiful, so the amount spent leveling trash to 85 was not preventing us from from leveling a useful toon to 85. Likewise, gear needed to get toons to level 8 is readily available as side junk from bronziums and more developed gear farms. And of course, we put our cruddy extra mods on these toons. Would we have 1-2 more g12 toons if we had not done these actions? Probably. Would we have 20? No way.

Yet, what this selfless team oriented action did was artificially inflate our GP and penalize us in both TW and now GA due to poor matchmaking that looks more or less solely at GP.

Also, keep in mind that TB came before either of these two new modes, so the actions we took that inflated GP occurred BEFORE we could have know about negative ramifications for doing so. In other words, while you maintain a choice for roster development was involved, I'm stating there was no choice whatsoever.

What really needs to happen is matchmaking needs to be made based on numbers of toons at various gear levels as opposed to GP.

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Place 2 Olympic level runners in a race, the can both have the best mile times and may even be close.

They are equals athletically and in many respects, but one will have a clear advantage in a marathon.

It's about how you build your roster and how you develop in the game. If you developed more competitively or not. That's the players choice.

This isn't completely accurate. Back when Territory Bore was announced, many of us took all of our trash toons (of which there are many) and leveled them to 85, geared them to 8, and slapped on mods in order to help increase GP for the game mode and help out our guilds.

Did this act impede our ability to construct a "competitive" roster? I'd argue no, not really. Credits at the top end of the game are plentiful, so the amount spent leveling trash to 85 was not preventing us from from leveling a useful toon to 85. Likewise, gear needed to get toons to level 8 is readily available as side junk from bronziums and more developed gear farms. And of course, we put our cruddy extra mods on these toons. Would we have 1-2 more g12 toons if we had not done these actions? Probably. Would we have 20? No way.

Yet, what this selfless team oriented action did was artificially inflate our GP and penalize us in both TW and now GA due to poor matchmaking that looks more or less solely at GP.

Also, keep in mind that TB came before either of these two new modes, so the actions we took that inflated GP occurred BEFORE we could have know about negative ramifications for doing so. In other words, while you maintain a choice for roster development was involved, I'm stating there was no choice whatsoever.

What really needs to happen is matchmaking needs to be made based on numbers of toons at various gear levels as opposed to GP.

Word!
  • AndySCovell
    770 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I have a feeling this will have to do with first rounds. Developed rosters and those that care about TW will likely do well in GA. 2nd and final rounds will have stiffer competition.

The problem is now the “collectors” want to play the game differently, after gearing up their toons for fun and realizing TW is an important aspect of the game.

Same argument can be used for those that didn’t focus on ships for nearly a year and realized that it was a major mistake on their Zetas for toons.

This game will continuously change and it is up to the players to make choices. Every action and choice you make in this game will move you close to one area of the game or team comp and push you further away from another one.
  • Instead of matchmaking by rooster, a ranking system would be suited much better. In such a system people with equal number of victories are matched against each other. Of course matches between higher ranked people need a slightly better reward. Just enough to prevent people from losing on purpose to get an easier match next time.
  • Weequay wrote: »
    Instead of matchmaking by rooster, a ranking system would be suited much better. In such a system people with equal number of victories are matched against each other. Of course matches between higher ranked people need a slightly better reward. Just enough to prevent people from losing on purpose to get an easier match next time.

I agree that having roosters pick matches is a bad idea. I don’t care how well that octopus did in the World Cup a few years ago.
  • Calx
    112 posts Member

This analogy is complete gibberish, and only makes sense if:
    • Olympic sprints were introduced long after Olympic marathons
    • Marathon runners were obligated to also run in sprints, after training for marathons for years
    • Sprints were run as head-to-head competitions, and the pairings greatly disadvantaged those who trained for marathons

Just like in TW and with paper Zombie, we're being punished for leveling and gearing up our characters. There's no amount of spin that will change that obviously fact. Your painfully broken analogy is just further proof of that.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Calx wrote: »

This analogy is complete gibberish, and only makes sense if:
    • Olympic sprints were introduced long after Olympic marathons
    • Marathon runners were obligated to also run in sprints, after training for marathons for years
    • Sprints were run as head-to-head competitions, and the pairings greatly disadvantaged those who trained for marathons

Just like in TW and with paper Zombie, we're being punished for leveling and gearing up our characters. There's no amount of spin that will change that obviously fact. Your painfully broken analogy is just further proof of that.

This analogy is gibberish because the equivalent of raw GP would be the total distance of all races the person has ever ran and not mile time.