Should I focus on buying mods or farming them from battles?

Mods are such a pain for me to deal with sometimes. I want only the best for my toons but I never have any luck finding anything good in the mod shop and I've had some rather poor drops from battles more often than not to make me consider using my mod energy for farming slicing materials to strengthen my better ones on my strongest toons. But lately I've been looking into restocking my inventory since all I have left are mods I've received in special events that are mostly garbage. Should I do battles or stick to buying them?

Replies

• Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Buying them is a sure thing - you know exactly what you're getting. But it's only one at a time and they're pretty costly. Also, you still don't know if a gold mod with 5 speed will still be at 5 speed or 25 when you finish leveling it, so there's still some risk.

Farming costs you basically nothing, since mod energy isn't used for anything but mod-related stuff. But obviously you'll end up tossing a large percentage of what you dredge up.

Basically comes down to whether you can spare the credits or not. Personally, I mostly rely on farming and whatever I get from mod-rewarding events like Ground War, because I'm forever leveling and promoting my dudes.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• It depends a little on your current mod and credit situation.

Right now I focus mostly on slicing mods. I had a huge number of mods with speed secondaries, and I've been slicing only those. As I get new mods, I level them up enough to see their secondaries. If they have speed, I'll level them to 12. If no speed, I sell them. Then I slice the mods with speed secondaries, focusing on the ones with the highest potential (so the blues that have upgraded speed twice, the purples that have upgrade thrice, etc). Then I periodically switch over and slice a gold mod up to 6E.

Eventually I'll run out of good slicing targets, and my mod energy will go towards farming new mods from battles. But I get most of my mods from the store at this point, so I can ensure that all my mods have a speed secondary.
  • Here's my standard reply regarding mods. Works great. I will say that purchasing mods is more of an end-game goal when you've farmed the characters you want to farm or you have a break between farming Legendary/HJ requirements. I find that lately I'm sitting on a stock pile of ship currency as there's far fewer options for spending there. I use that sparingly to purchase the odd very particular mod.

Grey - toss up, I usually sell for extra currency as they only earn base secondaries with no upgrades until sliced. The slicing material is better used on a green mod. Diamonds, circles and squares will fall in buckets. Sell away, however; always keep +speed primary arrows, and LOCK them as soon as you earn one. I also keep crosses with potency, offense, tenacity, as well as Crit Chance/Crit Damage triangles.

Green - upgrade to level 9 to see if you roll +speed on any of the four secondaries. If you did, go to level 12. If it hits on speed, fantastic, if it hits on a character specific stat you need (offense for attacker, potency, +protection etc) almost as good. Level that mod to 15 and use it. Slice only mods that upgrade twice (2) on speed.

Blue - upgrade to level 6 to see if you roll +speed on remaining two secondaries if it wasn't there to start. If no speed, sell the mod unless it has great stats you might need for a "B" or "C" team. If it shows speed go to 9 & hope for an increase to speed. If not, that's ok, go to 12. If it didn't hit there you still have a +3-6 speed mod that is ok for a low-use toon. Don't slice. If you hit (2) or (3) on speed then try slicing it to purple.

Purple - I tend to keep most purples unless they have absolutely garbage secondaries. Might have one of the first 3 secondaries as speed, if not; increase to 3. If you get +speed keep upgrading. Ideally you'll strike a (4) upgrade on speed, which is pretty rare. But I have plenty of purple mods that have several (2) stats and +8-10 speed. Decent mods but I won't slice. Only slice if it's (3) or (4) on speed. Not worth the larger investment of slicing material for less than that.

I'll add as well that I typically go through once a week or so and sell any green blue or purple that have no speed secondaries whatsoever. I'll occasionally keep one if it has a ridiculous secondary stat for offense or protection etc.
  • This is great advice I’m currently in situation with excess credits due to no ability mats. Going to look for gold mods in store with speed.

I have a few weeks before I need to promote toons so no point in doing so now. I promote to 5* then save credits to go to better use then promoting toons without abilities to 7*.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Nice post @Vendi1983 but a couple things I do different:

1) I level most grey to 6 because the cost is very small, if I hit a +4 or +5 speed I'll take it to 15 and slice to green. I've ended up with a couple of mods that hit +13-15 this way. Anything that doesn't roll a speed at level six I sell for a profit (albeit a smaller one).

2) After mod farming for a long time, I have all the speed arrows I can use plus a bunch more. I sell those too now.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Another good note, make use of the lock feature. It's fantastic and the mod won't even show up in the sell screen. Even if you accidentally hit "sell all" you won't sell your best ones.

@TVF I've leveled grey mods to 9 when I'm in a pinch or modding low-use/niche toons. Found a few +4/+5. Depends what your unique credit situation is, of course.
  • I find you can farm enough mods from mythic events, assault battles(ground war) and marquee toons that the only farming needes is for certain sets(CD especially)
    As said above i only but from the store if its a 5 dot arrow speed primary or triangle with CD.
    Most the time with mod energy i focus on slicing mats to get mods with speed secondary from blue to gold.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Hanfirst wrote: »
    I find you can farm enough mods from mythic events, assault battles(ground war) and marquee toons that the only farming needes is for certain sets(CD especially)

Sure you can get plenty of mods.

If you're getting arena-quality mods for all your toons from just these sources, you're the luckiest player in the game.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH