Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Tie breaker
    Two players get the same banner score, for which you would’ve expected the higher GP to do better, albeit a small difference hopefully.
    So hasn’t the lower-GP player been more effective and more deserving of winner status?
  • Baddbrad wrote: »
    I think it's awesome. Quality roster over quantity. Adjust moving forward.
    You mean ptp roster vs ftp! Grand Arena was introduced to appease open wallets.

• BeralCator wrote: »
    I am still unclear on why I should set a defense if I have no chance at winning a round. Wouldn't I be better off using all my characters on offense to make Quest progress?

You get banners for setting defense. If you set trash for defense and save your best for offense and happen to do a full clear, you could still potentially win.

If you set no defense you automatically lose.
  • I’ll join in here. My first question when Grand Arena was introduced was “is this new content, or different content” specifically questioning whether they would run side by side. I don’t like not having both. But I do like the idea of more playable content, no matter how flawed it might be.

That being said, with the holidays and all coming I also understand not running a bunch of game modes at the same time.

So I’d happily accept this if we all got our first place rewards for our missing TWs during their scheduled payout as a sign of good faith. I don’t like the way they’re doing this, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
  • Just gotta say...
    I’m at 4M GP. No Revan, no Traya. I love farming mods, so I have powerful mods on ALL of my characters, even though I don’t use half of them.
    My matchup for GA includes multiple Revan and Traya squads.
    Looking into their rosters, I’m seeing that most of my opponents have zero mods on the bottom half of their rosters. I obviously can’t say for sure whether they just don’t have any mods or have stripped them.
    Regardless, this means that even if we have similar overall GP, my overall ROSTER is definitely stronger.
    If I stripped the mods from the bottom half of my roster, I could lower my GP by 600-900k GP (or thereabouts).
    This is cheating, in my opinion, and I’m tempted to do it, not only for the benefit in GA, but TerWars, as well.
    Can we not improve the matchup algorithms to factor in things like this?
  • Just gotta say...
    I’m at 4M GP. No Revan, no Traya. I love farming mods, so I have powerful mods on ALL of my characters, even though I don’t use half of them.
    Looking into their rosters, I’m seeing that most of my opponents have zero mods on the bottom half of their rosters. I obviously can’t say for sure whether they just don’t have any mods or have stripped them.
    Regardless, this means that even if we have similar overall GP, my overall ROSTER is definitely stronger.
    If I stripped the mods from the bottom half of my roster, I could lower my GP by 600-900k GP (or thereabouts).
    This is cheating, in my opinion, and I’m tempted to do it, not only for the benefit in GA, but TerWars, as well.

Your assumption on GP is off by a large margin, you would reduce your GP by Mebbe 50k, Not anywhere even close to near your guesstimate @Not_Ryan_12
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Just gotta say...

1. Taking mods off 84 (50% of all characters released) characters will not lower your GP by 1 million but by 272 * 6 * 84 (assuming they are all gold mods) = 137,088 GP

lets not throw around numbers without doing the math behind it, please

2. If you are 4 Million GP and still don't have Traya then you need a better guild or are you going to complain about the arena too

3. If you have 4 million GP then it means you have plenty of non-Revan Traya counters so that is no longer an issue

4. If you have 4 Million GP then you should be able to use the other non-traya related Revan counters such as droids, Jedi Rey led resistance etc

You should really re-evaluate your team strategy, composition and priorities if you are still unable to beat those two teams and 6 mods equipped with all 5 stars do not give you more than half a million GP
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Just gotta say...

1. Taking mods off 84 (50% of all characters released) characters will not lower your GP by 1 million but by 272 * 6 * 84 (assuming they are all gold mods) = 137,088 GP

2. If you are 4 Million GP and still don't have Traya then you need a better guild or are you going to complain about the arena too

3. If you have 4 million GP then it means you have plenty of non-Revan Traya counters so that is no longer an issue

4. If you have 4 Million GP then you should be able to use the other non-traya related Revan counters such as droids, Jedi Rey led resistance etc

You should really re-evaluate your team strategy, composition and priorities if you are still unable to beat those two teams and 6 mods equipped with all 5 stars do not give you more than half a million GP

You’re absolutely missing my point.
    I am still unclear on why I should set a defense if I have no chance at winning a round. Wouldn't I be better off using all my characters on offense to make Quest progress?

You get banners for setting defense. If you set trash for defense and save your best for offense and happen to do a full clear, you could still potentially win.

That seems pretty unlikely. If I set trash on defense, even if I do a full clear, they will almost certainly do a full clear of me with lots of bonuses (more than I would get against decent defensive teams, anyway). Even if I did win and end up 5th or 6th, all I get are few extra stun cuffs pieces and some mod salvage.

On the other hand a lot of the Quest goals are stupid things like debuffing or stunning. I don't even have to win (it is actually better if I don't!); just need to do a lot of matches to rack up assist, buffs, counters, etc.

From a reward perspective the Omegas and Zetas for the quests are much more compelling. As such, I am just gonna set nothing on defense at all and find matchups that will last a long time (FO vs. FO, for instance) to finish the quests as quickly as possible.
  • I don't like this new Grand Arena game mode at all.
    The match up system should not be consider by total GP.
    I personally have a high GP for the strength of my top characters , so this is good for me for TB but hurt me for this kind of game mode.
    My second Grand Arena opponent was top 10 in both arena and had a lots of gear XII and great toon like Revan/Traya...
    So got screwed by the matchmaking,I had no chance to win this.
    My opponent chat with me and feel sorry about that situation, he had no challenge and fun to fight against me.

I know I am not the only one who have no luck with this new game mode.
    The solution should be that the players could lock a certain number of characters that will be required for attack and defense during the preparation phase, then the matchmaking will consider the GP of all selected characters and both players will have fair confrontation.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Wait, they cancelled all TW for this entire month? so that's half a potential zeta cancelled for GA? lol.
    Gorem wrote: »
    So did anyone else get matched up with the same person from the exhibition match? Cuz I did lol.

That match must have not counted against the "you won't ever fight the same guy twice" that they had said before, lol. I didn't, but man that's funny. The chances of that happening must be so crazy rare.

Looking over all 8 of mine, our gear differences are crazy, from one guy with 2 G12 to another with 18. Like, sure we have the same GP, but man does that not make any sense to base our matchups on.

Its cool that ships are included but the guy still has to get through 2 squads he won't ever get through, doesn't matter if his ships is like 200k gp ahead of me.

Seems winning this is to just put good enough defence that can heal itself out and save your best stuff for attacking, since what i've seen so far is people put their best stuff on defence leaving them literally nothing to attack with.

Depends. After looking at my opponents roster, i put 4 90k plus teams in front. Jtr and bastilla on one side and Bh and traya led sith on the other.

From looking at tge characters they have they can probably put 4 90k teams together easily enough but not with a lot of synergy so I think it'll hold.

If they put everything on offense, I clear their weak defense. If they save their best for defense, they have no shot at clearing my defense.

It really comes down to who has the better roster and knows how to use it.

Of the 7 others I'm matched up with all but one will likely be a fairly easy win. And I think I can beat that last one too but it may be close.

I was basing it more on my bracket, I am at 1.8mil GP and only have like 6 squads that could actually win and 2 okish ones, and have to make up 2 squads from randoms to hopefully win. And most in my area of GP are the same, we can't field too much. The thing is, When I said people put everything on defence I meant that they put every single G12 they have on defence. That's what I seen so far. if they don't then I can win flawlessly, if they do then they can't take my zones but I can take some of theirs but 100% will not be able to take 2-4 of them.

I honestly just wish the squad counts were different, and of course, that matchmaking didn't make people with 2... to 0 G12 fight against people with 30. lol.
  • why am i opposed to players with 5 to 10 times more G11 - G12 and zetas than i have ?

the matchmaking is just horrible... it's just not fun to play against unbeatable players
    Just gotta say...

I hear you.

If we are being matched on GP then we actually should be expecting to use ALL of it to make it fair. The current system means only the top fraction of that matched GP actually matters.

Having a top heavy roster is beneficial for this mode. Having a broader roster is a disadvantage. Yet both types of players will 'match' against each other. The broader roster is always going to be at a disadvantage.

Level the playing field please.

We need far more nodes available to stretch both players to use the full extent of their GP. That's what is being matched, let us use it.

If we had more nodes a broad roster player still will struggle vs a top heavy team, but at least then the top heavy roster player will also struggle by running out of strong enough low level squads. It actually does then become about strategy and not just who does or doesn't have a revan or traya.
  • @CG_SBCrumb Can you answer a question? So there is an opponent who will deffinetly win this GA, that is ok. But there are 3 players including me, who can beat every other opponent, we can also beat each other I think. So we 3 ending up in the second place, and I will be the 4th because I have the lowest gp from the 3 of us. It isnt fair. If I got both of them as opponent, I think I can win, deppends on of course their strategy so I can be still 4th behind them Because they can beat the others?
  • HJoci30 wrote: »
    @CG_SBCrumb Can you answer a question? So there is an opponent who will deffinetly win this GA, that is ok. But there are 3 players including me, who can beat every other opponent, we can also beat each other I think. So we 3 ending up in the second place, and I will be the 4th because I have the lowest gp from the 3 of us. It isnt fair. If I got both of them as opponent, I think I can win, deppends on of course their strategy so I can be still 4th behind them Because they can beat the others?

2-4th get the same rewards, so it doesn’t matter who is assigned which place.
    @CG_SBCrumb Can you answer a question? So there is an opponent who will deffinetly win this GA, that is ok. But there are 3 players including me, who can beat every other opponent, we can also beat each other I think. So we 3 ending up in the second place, and I will be the 4th because I have the lowest gp from the 3 of us. It isnt fair. If I got both of them as opponent, I think I can win, deppends on of course their strategy so I can be still 4th behind them Because they can beat the others?

2-4th get the same rewards, so it doesn’t matter who is assigned which place.

Thanks, somehow I missed/forgot it!
  • Literally love reading these comments, good to start out my day laughing. There are a few good points made but everyone who is screaming at the top of their lungs or trying to start protests that this isn't fair needs to sit back and relax. CG has said they will make improvements to the matchmaking but this is a brand new game mode. Did anyone expect this to be perfect out of the gate? I certainly did not.

In addition, there is no way CG is going to be able to appease everyone as we all have different points of focus in this game. As Qui-Gon puts it, "Your focus determines your reality". If your opponent focused on maxing out 1 toon at a time where you level every character to g8, they may have the advantage here but would be at a disadvantage elsewhere. Look at it this way, if you brought all your Ewoks to 7* and G8/9 I am sure you weren't complaining when they announced the requirements for C3PO. That person who just wiped the floor with you in GA because they focused specifically on one toon at a time probably has all 3* g1 Ewoks and will not be adding C3P0 to his/her roster this week....

I understand everyone hates losing but keep in mind this is just a game. We all play it because we are Star Wars fans and regardless of whether there are bugs or things CG does that we don't like just remember why you downloaded it to begin with.
    BeralCator wrote: »

That seems pretty unlikely. If I set trash on defense, even if I do a full clear, they will almost certainly do a full clear of me with lots of bonuses (more than I would get against decent defensive teams, anyway). Even if I did win and end up 5th or 6th, all I get are few extra stun cuffs pieces and some mod salvage.

On the other hand a lot of the Quest goals are stupid things like debuffing or stunning. I don't even have to win (it is actually better if I don't!); just need to do a lot of matches to rack up assist, buffs, counters, etc.

From a reward perspective the Omegas and Zetas for the quests are much more compelling. As such, I am just gonna set nothing on defense at all and find matchups that will last a long time (FO vs. FO, for instance) to finish the quests as quickly as possible.

To each their own I guess. I personally would rather have a shot at a win.
  • keknoby wrote: »
    why am i opposed to players with 5 to 10 times more G11 - G12 and zetas than i have ?

the matchmaking is just horrible... it's just not fun to play against unbeatable players

Do all 8 of your opponents have 1p times more g12? If not then you may lose the first round but still place decently.

If, so it speaks more of your lack of focus than the matchmaking.
    Just gotta say...

I hear you.

If we are being matched on GP then we actually should be expecting to use ALL of it to make it fair. The current system means only the top fraction of that matched GP actually matters.

Having a top heavy roster is beneficial for this mode. Having a broader roster is a disadvantage. Yet both types of players will 'match' against each other. The broader roster is always going to be at a disadvantage.

Level the playing field please.

We need far more nodes available to stretch both players to use the full extent of their GP. That's what is being matched, let us use it.

If we had more nodes a broad roster player still will struggle vs a top heavy team, but at least then the top heavy roster player will also struggle by running out of strong enough low level squads. It actually does then become about strategy and not just who does or doesn't have a revan or traya.

The player with the top heavy roster would still dominate. You put up a 40k trash team. They put in a g12 boba fett that clears them with one or two attacks. So you lose 5 characters to 1 for every extremely weak team. Doesn't take long to make up the difference.

GP only comes into account in the event of the same banners. The prizes are determined off of the win loss ratio. 2-4 will all have the same numbers of wins. 2 wins and 1 loss. So they get the same prize. Gp doesn't matter for that.
  • @CG_SBCrumb

Per the GA ties. You said GP is the tier breaker when the number of banners is the same. I assume it means whoever has the LOWER GP wins, correct? The person with more GP would be favored to win, so the person with Less GP should win because they forced the tie.

It's the higher GP because if you look at the way banners are earned you'll see that basically the only way to get a tie is to have neither side win a battle--which will pretty much only happen if neither side attacks.

tl;dr: Don't worry about it.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    NicWester wrote: »
    tl;dr: Don't worry about it.

If everyone followed this advice there'd be no forums.

Which isn't a bad thing.

I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Baddbrad wrote: »

Having a quality roster is choice that anyone can make.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

True, but it's very hard to change what road you started down, especially considering the advantage of lean rosters is a fairly recent thing.
  • Gannon wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

True, but it's very hard to change what road you started down, especially considering the advantage of lean rosters is a fairly recent thing.

Not really all that recent. A lean roster has been good for tw for a year now.

Also if you're ftp, a lean roster was a must to score high in hstr since you really have to max out teams that are good to compete and you have limited resources so by default yoy needed to focus.

Even before that pit and haat were the same way before one team could solo them.

The only exception is tb where fluffing your gp does provide a benefit. Though unless you already beat every battle perfectly, focusing on good teams to beat those gives you more points than simply leveling up random stuff to deploy.

So lean rosters have been a thing for awhile.
  • They should also take number of Zetas into account when they match. I have 18 zetas; in my current GA, three of the others have close to 30, with about the same gp. (also way more 85s and G12s than I do.)

I get that I can just field a minimum team and get the minimum bones we get tossed. But I would think that GA is intended to be fun, and not a mismatched exercise in futility.
  • Tryxa wrote: »
    They should also take number of Zetas into account when they match. I have 18 zetas; in my current GA, three of the others have close to 30, with about the same gp. (also way more 85s and G12s than I do.)

I get that I can just field a minimum team and get the minimum bones we get tossed. But I would think that GA is intended to be fun, and not a mismatched exercise in futility.

Are you out classed by all 7 other teams? If not, you'll likelt lose the first round and face one of the players that also lose the first round. That should be morr competitive.

If you are outclassed by all 7, then it is likely your roster needs a lot of work. I don't know what to tell you if that's the case. They have to match you against someone and making a lower gp person face you, who has more total resources, just because you built a poor roster isn't really fair to them.
  • so... are the back territories "guarded" by the two front territories?
    or we can attack/being attacked in every one?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    so... are the back territories "guarded" by the two front territories?
    or we can attack/being attacked in every one?

They are guarded.