Sandbagging, the new normal?

Replies

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Boov wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    So are we all going to start sandbagging starting from here? I sure am as long as the current matchmaking system stays in place. That will in turn hurt my enjoyment of the game and encourage me to do less than I can easily can with my current resources.

Quickly looking at your swgoh.gg profile, you seem to have quite alot of g8 characters. Do you get alot of enjoyment out of those? Honest question, i'm not trying to be a ... .
    Aside from the many g8's, you appear to be quite focussed. Your mod game doesn't appear to be that strong though, which will probably hurt you more in GA than those g8's.

I get a lot of enjoyment from developing toons as much as I can, none are used anywhere ofc besides some giggle autoing at the end Hstr for laughable scores.

My mod game is decent for f2p I'd like to think, not the best for sure. Don't just check the high end mods, I didn't have much luck with getting many 20+s. I farmed mods dilligently though, so I have lots of good sets for non-arena teams as well.

Since you brought up my roster, let's take it as an example how much fluff one can have while another can have zero of it. I'm not willing to add up each toons GP, as I'll average it.

These toons are 13954 to 7144 GP range. There are 70 of them. 738k fluff from that average.

Ships add in their GP seperately. So I need to calculate the ships in unusable state as well. 38625 to 21436 range. 15 of them. 450k fluff here.

I have 1.188k GP as fluff out of my 4.05 which I managed to sandbag by -120k dropping my GA category by demodding.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I think the op post is misread often. He's not exactly faulting the player but the system and the title question is pretty legit.

So are we all going to start sandbagging starting from here? I sure am as long as the current matchmaking system stays in place. That will in turn hurt my enjoyment of the game and encourage me to do less than I can easily can with my current resources.

People are responding to the use of the word sandbagging because it suggests that the player is intentionally trying to get an unfair advantage when that’s obviously false (since the player made the decision not to level these characters long before the game mode existed). If he’s not faulting the player he should have worded his post differently.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    I think the op post is misread often. He's not exactly faulting the player but the system and the title question is pretty legit.

People are responding to the use of the word sandbagging because it suggests that the player is intentionally trying to get an unfair advantage when that’s obviously false (since the player made the decision not to level these characters long before the game mode existed). If he’s not faulting the player he should have worded his post differently.

Ok. Will you be sandbagging going from here? Will it be the new normal?
  • OP didn't come off clear, but I think a point that's still valid is what happens from here? The devs seemed clear before (paper zombie) that we shouldn't be discouraged from leveling toons. GA matchmaking does not align with that.

Point of clarification. It's not just resource management. At 3 years in there is no lack of low level gear or credits. You either level those low-level toons or just sit on top of an even higher stack of gold. There was no incentive previously to not level them.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

But why is smart development considered sandbagging?

If I focus my future development the way I have since TW was introduced, is that sandbagging?

I focus on useful teams and toons and look for unique combinations. I am happy when a toon or team has multiple uses and look really hard on choices where a toon/team is not going to be useful outside of a particular place.
  • ok so ill say this the guy who posted is wrong. Bottom line is that you cant expect or force a player to level toons they dont want to level. Secondly i can see this being an issue in the future tho. I get the GP matching i really do, but in the end it will be a serious issue going forward.
  • No_Try wrote: »
    Boov wrote: »

Quickly looking at your swgoh.gg profile, you seem to have quite alot of g8 characters. Do you get alot of enjoyment out of those? Honest question, i'm not trying to be a ... .
    Aside from the many g8's, you appear to be quite focussed. Your mod game doesn't appear to be that strong though, which will probably hurt you more in GA than those g8's.

I get a lot of enjoyment from developing toons as much as I can, none are used anywhere ofc besides some giggle autoing at the end Hstr for laughable scores.

My mod game is decent for f2p I'd like to think, not the best for sure. Don't just check the high end mods, I didn't have much luck with getting many 20+s. I farmed mods dilligently though, so I have lots of good sets for non-arena teams as well.

Since you brought up my roster, let's take it as an example how much fluff one can have while another can have zero of it. I'm not willing to add up each toons GP, as I'll average it.

These toons are 13954 to 7144 GP range. There are 70 of them. 738k fluff from that average.

Ships add in their GP seperately. So I need to calculate the ships in unusable state as well. 38625 to 21436 range. 15 of them. 450k fluff here.

I have 1.188k GP as fluff out of my 4.05 which I managed to sandbag by -120k dropping my GA category by demodding.

Okay, fair enough. I personally don't get any enjoyment out of my "fluff" so to speak. To each their own.
    As for your mods, i didn't mean to offend. I indeed only looked at your top end mods and you seemed to not have that many 17+ mods compared to what i've seen on other rosters with similar GP (4m+ is quite alot).
    I fully agree about fluff, you can have a whole lot of it. i've got roughly 550k from toons between 14000/7000gp at close to 3.9m GP. (haven't unmodded, yet..)
    that said, after quickly inspecting my opponents' rosters this GA round, i'm in good shape to give it a shot at #1.
  • Kyno wrote: »

If I focus my future development the way I have since TW was introduced, is that sandbagging?

I focus on useful teams and toons and look for unique combinations. I am happy when a toon or team has multiple uses and look really hard on choices where a toon/team is not going to be useful outside of a particular place.

What's smart about your development that my development lacks? As you already know there's zero amount of resource reallocation in what I did.

It's by definition sandbagging, you lower your competetive rating below your capability in order for some advantage or profit.

But hey I'll be the happy sandbagger too as long as these are the cards we have to play it.

You say "smart" to sound superior, but it's only smart if there's a tradeoff involved. As I say above, when you're sitting on a stack of credits, mats, etc., there's no tradeoff to be "smart" about. GA should not discourage spending those resources.
  • YKMisfit wrote: »
    Sorry OP, you're way off on this one. Over half of those toons shown are marquee characters that came out in the last half a year or so. Of the remaining 10, 7 of them are absolutely terrible characters and two are decent only as pilots.

Why, exactly, should this person feel obligated to take resources away from the characters they use to bring these guys up again?

I dont know about you but putting gear on a G1 never prevented me from gearing Chewie any other high level toon.

Sure, but at the same time, what do you gain? CWC slots slightly higher on your list of characters? My point is, why should anyone feel like they should HAVE TO put that piece of gear on him if they clearly have no intention of using that character for anything or don't plan to develop them until a later date?

This whole basis of this thread is off base, and nothing you've added since your first post on the subject has done anything to answer the question I've put forward. Why should they gear those toons?
  • YKMisfit wrote: »
    YKMisfit wrote: »
    Sorry OP, you're way off on this one. Over half of those toons shown are marquee characters that came out in the last half a year or so. Of the remaining 10, 7 of them are absolutely terrible characters and two are decent only as pilots.

Why, exactly, should this person feel obligated to take resources away from the characters they use to bring these guys up again?

I dont know about you but putting gear on a G1 never prevented me from gearing Chewie any other high level toon.

Sure, but at the same time, what do you gain? CWC slots slightly higher on your list of characters? My point is, why should anyone feel like they should HAVE TO put that piece of gear on him if they clearly have no intention of using that character for anything or don't plan to develop them until a later date?

This whole basis of this thread is off base, and nothing you've added since your first post on the subject has done anything to answer the question I've put forward. Why should they gear those toons?

Noone said you should or you have to gear to generate fluff. And now we have incentive to not do it. Welcome the sandbagging era of Swgoh.

Noone said you should or you have to gear to generate fluff. And now we have incentive to not do it. Welcome the sandbagging era of Swgoh.

It's still not sandbagging. Sandbagging is cutting a bunch of weight for a weigh in, then adding it back before the fight. Sandbagging is running that quarter mile at 80% throttle, so that they think you're slower than you are.

Keeping your roster lean is not sandbagging. It's not something that can be changed after matching. If you level those toons, you can't unlevel them. If you leave them at 1, you can't use them. (Re)Moving mods prior to TW is sandbagging. Leveling (or not) toons to keep your roster focused is not.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/

It's still not sandbagging. Sandbagging is cutting a bunch of weight for a weigh in, then adding it back before the fight. Sandbagging is running that quarter mile at 80% throttle, so that they think you're slower than you are.

Keeping your roster lean is not sandbagging. It's not something that can be changed after matching. If you level those toons, you can't unlevel them. If you leave them at 1, you can't use them. (Re)Moving mods prior to TW is sandbagging. Leveling (or not) toons to keep your roster focused is not.

It's by definition sandbagging.
    "Sandbagging in billiards and other games, deliberately playing below one's actual ability in order to fool opponents into accepting higher stakes bets, or to lower one's competitive rating in order to play in a future event with a higher handicap and consequently have a better chance to win"

Before GA you weren't doing purposefully, with GA you and me and I bet almost everyone else will do it purposefully "to lower one's competetive rating to have a better chance to win".

"Sandbagging in billiards and other games, deliberately playing below one's actual ability in order to fool opponents into accepting higher stakes bets, or to lower one's competitive rating in order to play in a future event with a higher handicap and consequently have a better chance to win"

Before GA you weren't doing purposefully, with GA you and me and I bet almost everyone else will do it purposefully "to lower one's competetive rating to have a better chance to win".

Taking mods off to lower your GP, then re-adding them before fighting. That's sandbagging.

I still don't understand how NOT leveling toons you don't use is some sort of competitive advantage. Yeah, you get a lower GP. But you didn't lower your GP for GA - it was just lower anyways. And if I continue to develop my roster while you stay lean, then my GP will creep and I won't be fighting you anyways. And your 5 lean teams are nice, but leave you lacking on offense or defense.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

I intend to continue playing the game exactly as I have always played it. You’re the one using the word, so you can decide for yourself if it suddenly becomes “sandbagging” because it’s useful. (Actually I always found it useful, which is why I’ve always done it.)

What if that has no bearing on the actual reason it’s being done?
    Kyno wrote: »

What's smart about your development that my development lacks? As you already know there's zero amount of resource reallocation in what I did.

It's by definition sandbagging, you lower your competetive rating below your capability in order for some advantage or profit.

But hey I'll be the happy sandbagger too as long as these are the cards we have to play it.

I suggest you look up sandbagging and get back to us..... It doesn't mean what you think it does.....
  • Liath wrote: »

I intend to continue playing the game exactly as I have always played it. You’re the one using the word, so you can decide for yourself if it suddenly becomes “sandbagging” because it’s useful. (Actually I always found it useful, which is why I’ve always done it.)

What if that has no bearing on the actual reason it’s being done?

You were playing this way and you'll keep playing it the same way. I get that. This wasn't sandbagging before there was no added incentive/advantage accompanying it.

Yes, it's me calling it sandbagging going by the very definition of the word, it's what it is. You are welcome to consider it not as such as you don't want to be associated with the negative connotations of the word. I will sandbag with the exact and only purpose of getting undermatched in GA, you won't, we are still doing the same thing. I'm sure it won't be only me calling it sandbagging and this'll become the sandbag era till CG decides it should change.
  • There are a lot of useless toons in the roster, I wouldn't blame those who do not level these toons because there's no point in doing so. I think "sandbagging" isn't a new strategy...GP is used for TW also. That's their strategy and I honestly don't see an issue with it, I've leveled all of my toons but if I had the chance to do it over I wouldn't touch worthless toons.
    Still waiting on that edit forum profile setting so I can change my name...

I won't remove mods in order to try to lower my GP before a GA. I also won't Level 85, and G7 a new Marquee because I can. If I want to, or need to, I will.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I am not stopping development, nor losing anything. I am increasing my competitive rating while increasing my competitive edge. Isnt that always the goal?

Again, no one can lower anything, so the act of "sandbagging" doesnt seem to fit.

This is a resource managment game, and using those resources to the greatest effect has always been what has been preached when anyone asked about development.

Back in the day, it was lando and seth because they were both scoundrels and rebels.

More recently its its Phoenix.

The general concept has always been the same.

I am not stopping development, nor losing anything. I am increasing my competitive rating while increasing my competitive edge. Isnt that always the goal?

Again, no one can lower anything, so the act of "sandbagging" doesnt seem to fit.

This is a resource managment game, and using those resources to the greatest effect has always been what has been preached when anyone asked about development.

Back in the day, it was lando and seth because they were both scoundrels and rebels.

More recently its its Phoenix.

The general concept has always been the same.

Sandbagging doesn't have to involve immediate action of lowering something. You can do it through time compared to someone else who didn't to gain advantage for it. That's the net effect you will see over time in this game. I already started actively not doing something which I would otherwise do. Action through inaction.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

You say "smart" to sound superior, but it's only smart if there's a tradeoff involved. As I say above, when you're sitting on a stack of credits, mats, etc., there's no tradeoff to be "smart" about. GA should not discourage spending those resources.

This seems to be a misconception about the GP topic in general.

Using resources effectively vs hoarding with "no spending in mind" are 2 different things.

No one is proposing not spending resources, but to manage them appropriately for your situation.

Let's take TB for example. Want to do better in TB, invest blindly in GP to bring in more points. Sounds like a decent idea and many of us fell into that trap at first. It was then realized this was a resource sink with little return on investment.

The better path would be to develop teams for special mission (which have been fairly useful elsewhere) or teams for those required toon missions (weather its rebels or empire with 1 or 2 required). Bringing those toons up to a highly effective battle level allowed a group to bring in more resources and special rewards and increased GP and points for the event.

Then TW followed up and it was fairly obvious that the usual lvl 50 with mods and low level abilities was a waste of resources and could put you in a situation that you may not be developed for (in a combat sense). Does this mean stop spending resources? No of course not, this means focus on specific teams and toons that are useful for (hopefully) other events, raids, and defense or as a counter to good defensive team.

That is what is meant by "better" (I wont use the word smart) development. That would naturally lead to a combat effective roster for an older player, or a lean roster for a new player. All of that can be done while not sacrificing any other game mode, but it takes focus and planning << the basis for most recommendation on this forum.
  • BubbaFett wrote: »

I suggest you look up sandbagging and get back to us..... It doesn't mean what you think it does.....

Then our suggestions are mutual. Back at you.
    BubbaFett wrote: »

piwgwumtspci.jpg
  • BubbaFett wrote: »

piwgwumtspci.jpg

Replied on the other topic.
  • It is not sandbagging. It is making clever use of resources. I have almsot 200 omega's and 900 purple mats. I am not putting them on trash just to get the epeen effect of having a higher GP. A higher GP helps a tiny bit in TB, otherwise forced well made teams wins out. I out perform guys that have a GP of over a million higher than min in TW, TB GA, Arena and raids. You dont see me protesting against their style of collection. To each their own.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

piwgwumtspci.jpg

Wouldn't "underperform" mean you throw a match or I guess not spend resources in this game?

I dont think anyone is advocating not spending, just spending wisely and with intent.

piwgwumtspci.jpg

Wouldn't "underperform" mean you throw a match or I guess not spend resources in this game?

I dont think anyone is advocating not spending, just spending wisely and with intent.

This game is not made of only matches. One can lower their competetive rating (as opposed to how competetive they really are) through other means as illustrated.

piwgwumtspci.jpg

Yes @kyno ...... I agree with you