Can someone explain this to me please?

I was thinking about GA and how the ranks are shaped and I realized that there might be a slight flaw in the design unless I'm wrong about how it works.

So you have 8 players and they are split in 4 pairs. 4 players win and 4 lose. Then the 4 who win will be randomly split into 2 pairs between the 4 winners and the 4 who lose will be split in pairs within those who lost.

Then the winner of each pair faces the winner of the corresponding pair and the loser faces the loser. If this is how it works then there is a problem.

The problem is that if you lose the initial match you then can't reach past 5th place which means that you can win both rounds after and still only get as high as 5. If you win the first match then no matter what happens you will minimum earn 4th.

This means that a player with 2-1 w/l will place 5th or 6th and a player with 1-2 will place 4th. Similarly a player with 2-1 who won match one, lost match 2 and won match 3 will place 3rd with the same score as players 5 and 6.

I guess that's not really an issue because of how rewards scale if you aren't 1st or last then it's no biggie, I just thought it was interesting to point this out.

Usually tournaments work with seeds. Seed 1 would face seed 8, 2 would face 7, 3 faces 6 and 4 faces 5. But in this case there's no previous reference so in theory the two best players who would have been seed 1 and seed 2 could face each other in round 1 which means one of the two will score maximum 5th place even though they deserve 2th.

P.S I love GA this is not a hate post

Replies

• Val_Galahadred
    442 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Nevermind. I'm not sure how they're designing the bracket.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Yeah we dont have a breakdown of how the "contested" ranks are broken down. Here is what i see when i look at the way it works.

y0h9avi87314.png

so there is a chance for 1 player from the first round loss to place in the top 4. So at least that point of what you said, I believe is wrong.
  • PeteBajama wrote: »
    I was thinking about GA and how the ranks are shaped and I realized that there might be a slight flaw in the design unless I'm wrong about how it works.

So you have 8 players and they are split in 4 pairs. 4 players win and 4 lose. Then the 4 who win will be randomly split into 2 pairs between the 4 winners and the 4 who lose will be split in pairs within those who lost.

Then the winner of each pair faces the winner of the corresponding pair and the loser faces the loser. If this is how it works then there is a problem.

The problem is that if you lose the initial match you then can't reach past 5th place which means that you can win both rounds after and still only get as high as 5. If you win the first match then no matter what happens you will minimum earn 4th.

This means that a player with 2-1 w/l will place 5th or 6th and a player with 1-2 will place 4th. Similarly a player with 2-1 who won match one, lost match 2 and won match 3 will place 3rd with the same score as players 5 and 6.

I guess that's not really an issue because of how rewards scale if you aren't 1st or last then it's no biggie, I just thought it was interesting to point this out.

Usually tournaments work with seeds. Seed 1 would face seed 8, 2 would face 7, 3 faces 6 and 4 faces 5. But in this case there's no previous reference so in theory the two best players who would have been seed 1 and seed 2 could face each other in round 1 which means one of the two will score maximum 5th place even though they deserve 2th.

P.S I love GA this is not a hate post

You will always have 3 matches and they will always have the same record as you. Win all 3, get 1st place. Win any 2, get 2nd-4th place. Win just 1, get 5th-7th place. Lose all 3, 8th place. I can only assume the differentiation between 2-3-4 and 5-6-7 is based on total number of banners, though I suppose on a longshot it could be based on GP (how tiebreakers are done).
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »
    Yeah we dont have a breakdown of how the "contested" ranks are broken down. Here is what i see when i look at the way it works.

y0h9avi87314.png

so there is a chance for 1 player from the first round loss to place in the top 4. So at least that point of what you said, I believe is wrong.

sorry, i missed the record breakdown, so this works out, they offer the same rewards for those "contested" positions. no need to break the tie, they get the same rewards.

so to your point, no you can lose the first round and get the second tier of rewards.
  • Ugnaught
    481 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Yes, it is single elimination with a losers bracket exactly as you described.

• Are the winners and losers hard bracketed in Round 2, or paired by performance in Round 1? Like does the "best" winner player the "worst" winner or is it just random?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    BeralCator wrote: »
    Are the winners and losers hard bracketed in Round 2, or paired by performance in Round 1? Like does the "best" winner player the "worst" winner or is it just random?

the 4 players that are 0-1 are randomly matched
    the 4 players that are 1-0 are randomly matched

they did say they will try not to match people more than once in a match, which seems to be possible in round 3 for all players 1-1, so that is the only time they have stated any other factors are used in the event for matching.
  • There's no elimination bracket. It's purely based on final record. If you lose your first match but win the next two, you get the same rewards as if you won the first two and lost the final.

All 2-1s are rewarded the same as all other 2-1s regardless of how they got there. Same with the 1-2s.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    There's no elimination bracket. It's purely based on final record. If you lose your first match but win the next two, you get the same rewards as if you won the first two and lost the final.

All 2-1s are rewarded the same as all other 2-1s regardless of how they got there. Same with the 1-2s.

Not exactly elimination, but you fight against the one that has the same wins as you, so it's not exactly random
  • You're the best, around...
  • obidrew1 wrote: »
    You're the best, around...

And nothing will ever take you down!