Sandbagging, the new normal?

Replies

• My minimum standard is lvl65, g7, abilities to lvl 3. I will still be a tough opponent at 3.7mil gp. All but 4 of my toons are ober 6k power, thus almost my entire roster is eligible for tw. This was a calculated decision on my part. It's how i decided to play my game. Fluff or no fluff, you really only need a handful of great teams.
  • Invest in mods. They are way more impactful than all the rest of this.
  • PoD
    67 posts Member
    As Grand Arena has unfolded, and as we’ve seen more issues, exploits, and bugs, it reminds me more and more of Tournaments. I only hope GA will also be excised from the game too.

But I will add that I appreciate that CG is trying new things to keep the game fresh and to engage players. I’d rather have something done (or tried) that I don’t like than no change at all.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »
    I think the op post is misread often. He's not exactly faulting the player but the system and the title question is pretty legit.

So are we all going to start sandbagging starting from here? I sure am as long as the current matchmaking system stays in place. That will in turn hurt my enjoyment of the game and encourage me to do less than I can easily can with my current resources.

People are responding to the use of the word sandbagging because it suggests that the player is intentionally trying to get an unfair advantage when that’s obviously false (since the player made the decision not to level these characters long before the game mode existed). If he’s not faulting the player he should have worded his post differently.

Ok. Will you be sandbagging going from here? Will it be the new normal?

But why is smart development considered sandbagging?

If I focus my future development the way I have since TW was introduced, is that sandbagging?

I focus on useful teams and toons and look for unique combinations. I am happy when a toon or team has multiple uses and look really hard on choices where a toon/team is not going to be useful outside of a particular place.

What's smart about your development that my development lacks? As you already know there's zero amount of resource reallocation in what I did.

It's by definition sandbagging, you lower your competetive rating below your capability in order for some advantage or profit.

But hey I'll be the happy sandbagger too as long as these are the cards we have to play it.

I suggest you look up sandbagging and get back to us..... It doesn't mean what you think it does.....

Then our suggestions are mutual. Back at you.

piwgwumtspci.jpg

Wouldn't "underperform" mean you throw a match or I guess not spend resources in this game?

I dont think anyone is advocating not spending, just spending wisely and with intent.

Actually all you have been saying is don't spend. Again lvling toons to 85 and gear lvl 7 cost nothing that would prevent you from lvling your top toons , so you are saying literally dont spend all your excess creds , mats, and gear. Idk how you can say your not saying that.
  • StarSon wrote: »

So, your entire roster is level 85 g7?

my entire roster is in fact minimum: average 10k gp, g7-g8, level 66-75, mostly 7*. (aside from some newer marquees with less gp due to lack of stars)

i find it insulting that CG couldn't be bothered to care about refining a matchmaking formula to account for the different ways people build their rosters.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited December 2018
    I think the op post is misread often. He's not exactly faulting the player but the system and the title question is pretty legit.

So are we all going to start sandbagging starting from here? I sure am as long as the current matchmaking system stays in place. That will in turn hurt my enjoyment of the game and encourage me to do less than I can easily can with my current resources.

People are responding to the use of the word sandbagging because it suggests that the player is intentionally trying to get an unfair advantage when that’s obviously false (since the player made the decision not to level these characters long before the game mode existed). If he’s not faulting the player he should have worded his post differently.

If I focus my future development the way I have since TW was introduced, is that sandbagging?

I focus on useful teams and toons and look for unique combinations. I am happy when a toon or team has multiple uses and look really hard on choices where a toon/team is not going to be useful outside of a particular place.

What's smart about your development that my development lacks? As you already know there's zero amount of resource reallocation in what I did.

It's by definition sandbagging, you lower your competetive rating below your capability in order for some advantage or profit.

But hey I'll be the happy sandbagger too as long as these are the cards we have to play it.

I suggest you look up sandbagging and get back to us..... It doesn't mean what you think it does.....

piwgwumtspci.jpg

Wouldn't "underperform" mean you throw a match or I guess not spend resources in this game?

I dont think anyone is advocating not spending, just spending wisely and with intent.

Actually all you have been saying is don't spend. Again lvling toons to 85 and gear lvl 7 cost nothing that would prevent you from lvling your top toons , so you are saying literally dont spend all your excess creds , mats, and gear. Idk how you can say your not saying that.

so spending $10 and $20, but leaving my change in a jar is not spending?

What i have said is spend wisely. Use the limited resources you have in the most effective way possible.
  • @cannonfodder_iv, how long have you been playing? I started 3 years ago. Back then the game required fluff. (Mod farming required specific teams) Then came TB and we were encouraged to add more fluff. TW and GA are now telling us that we are SOL.

As someone who has played since dec 15 and also has fluff, i’m telling you to stop whining. Sure, you will have fluff in your roster because the game required some of these toons before, but if you “overfluffed” then that’s your own problem. How so? Here are some examples:

1) A teebo above 7* G8 is lame. HPit could be soloed with a G8 teebo in the team.
    2) Jawas above G8 is lame. You could clear the tier3 CD mod challenge with G8 jawas
    3) CUP/Lobot/Mob enforcers above 7* lvl1 g1 is lame. You only need them for TB deployments.

All these are resource management choices. I chose to lvl85 my entire fleet inventory and maximise the abilities (other than omega or reinforcement). This gives me roughly 5-700k more GP than is required for GA, but do i whine about it?

Further, there are teams that function at 7* g8 perfectly well, e.g. phoenix. They require a better team in order to win convincingly, and that in itself already serves a good purpose in GA.

piwgwumtspci.jpg

No it does. It costs u 6+mil credits per toon to go to lvl85. That is almost 2 gold mods in the mod shop. Over time, this creates the difference between the number of >15 speed mods u have vs someone else who spends credits in the mod shop

I also have an ex guild mate who hoards gears and credits (he has over 200m) and he played since early 2016. I admire his dedication and discipline to do that.
  • DuneFlint wrote: »
    Where are all these resources that don't hamper your active farms coming from? Maybe because I've 'only' played for 2 years, but i never have enough purple mats between zetas and needed characters. I litterally have 30 of them right now and wicket is still missing alot of abilities along with several others. I run into deficits on the laptop computer things, the grey thing, before OR i never had any of the +4 speeds, i never have the green health one when I'm working on a toon... i have 20mil credits, so if i spent it all I'd level up a whole 4-5 of my 36 level 1 toons to level 80. How are you buying mods from the store or gearing up 8-11 without having a shortage of resources caused by leveling every single character to 80-85 and g7 to 8?

Not sure what to tell you. I have level 7 abilities on every character except Revan (who is still locked). I also have 235 purple mats sitting ready for new characters or zetas - I get them faster than I can use them.

All my characters are at level 85, and all my characters have mostly Lv 15 5-dot mods with speed secondaries, other than the 50 or so that I never use (who have no mods). I have 15 mil credits on hand in case good mods come into the shop, and I actually waste a lot of credits messing around with mods.

I have hundreds of gear 7 pieces like Mk3 3 Sienar Holo Projectors, Mk 4 Fusion Furnaces, Mk 3 Detonators, Mk 4 Keypads, Mk 8 Weapon mods, etc. If I can't get someone to G8 on unlock, it's because I am missing stuff like Carbantis or Mk 6 Syringes or Mk1 Armor Mods.

It's not like the resources are scarce and I'm mis-allocating them - they are plentiful! The bottlenecks are stun guns, carbantis, omegas, and the rare mod salvage.

Not using all this stuff wouldn't have helped me at all to get more zetas, 6-dot mods, or G8+ gear. I didn't actively farm any of it - I've just played every day since the game came out.

I'd really like if there was something to do with all these characters. I really enjoyed when CUP and Grievous were amped up in TW. Do more of that so I can use my Mob Enforcer and Gamorrean Guard - why are they in the game if they serve no purpose other than to artificially inflate my GP so that I get crappier PvP matchups?

piwgwumtspci.jpg

What i have said is spend wisely. Use the limited resources you have in the most effective way possible.

You are still missing it. Or just choosing not to acknowledge it. The point has nothing to do with wise spending. Keeping a stack of 500 purple mats instead of spending them on lower toons does absolutely nothing to inhibit investment in strong teams.

Your point is invalid to anyone that has been playing long enough to just naturally have more resources than toons to spend them on.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

piwgwumtspci.jpg

You are still missing it. Or just choosing not to acknowledge it. The point has nothing to do with wise spending. Keeping a stack of 500 purple mats instead of spending them on lower toons does absolutely nothing to inhibit investment in strong teams.

Your point is invalid to anyone that has been playing long enough to just naturally have more resources than toons to spend them on.

I'm not missing anything, you said I have been saying "dont spend". I have and I dont think anyone has said that.

The advice always given is to manage resources, invest wisely and to not feel "forced" to do anything.

to invest my mat, i need to gear my toons, to gear my toons i need to level them. that is more of an investment than just the mats. credits are always as close to a premium currency as you can get. keeping those at a good level to be able to level up mods to check for slicing, buy new mods and possible buy stuff in the weekly shipment is all important.

piwgwumtspci.jpg

I'm not missing anything, you said I have been saying "dont spend". I have and I dont think anyone has said that.

The advice always given is to manage resources, invest wisely and to not feel "forced" to do anything.

to invest my mat, i need to gear my toons, to gear my toons i need to level them. that is more of an investment than just the mats. credits are always as close to a premium currency as you can get. keeping those at a good level to be able to level up mods to check for slicing, buy new mods and possible buy stuff in the weekly shipment is all important.

There are enough credits in the game to level every toon, star every toon, and still buy every decent speed secondary mod in the store. "Management" is invalid after you reach that point. There is nothing inherently wise about hoarding gear, mats, and creds unless your goal is to minimize GP.

CG made it clear with paper zombie that not gearing toons should not be a goal.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

piwgwumtspci.jpg

There are enough credits in the game to level every toon, star every toon, and still buy every decent speed secondary mod in the store. "Management" is invalid after you reach that point. There is nothing inherently wise about hoarding gear, mats, and creds unless your goal is to minimize GP.

before this was even a mode hoarding was a things, so that is not a correct statement.

I have been playing for 3 years, so when do i hit that point where i have enough credits to star, gear and level every toon and still have enough left over to buy mods?

actually, they have made it clear they dont want a toon to be more usable or have a viable strategy by having lower gear or be made "worse" by gearing up. ugnaught is just as useless at 85 g12 as he is at 1 g1. but that doesnt mean my goal is to not gear him. but he is very low on my list.
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    edited December 2018

piwgwumtspci.jpg

Zombie is a terrible example because she SPECIFICALLY was a more effective character at lower gear. The point they were making in leveling characters is that the more you invest in them, the better they should perform, this is NOT saying “you should level all characters.”

Zombies best characteristic was to die as often as possible. This is not true with any other character in the game.
  • Your in-game economy is bad and you should feel bad.
  • BeralCator wrote: »
    Your in-game economy is bad and you should feel bad.

What???
  • BeralCator wrote: »
    DuneFlint wrote: »
    Where are all these resources that don't hamper your active farms coming from? Maybe because I've 'only' played for 2 years, but i never have enough purple mats between zetas and needed characters. I litterally have 30 of them right now and wicket is still missing alot of abilities along with several others. I run into deficits on the laptop computer things, the grey thing, before OR i never had any of the +4 speeds, i never have the green health one when I'm working on a toon... i have 20mil credits, so if i spent it all I'd level up a whole 4-5 of my 36 level 1 toons to level 80. How are you buying mods from the store or gearing up 8-11 without having a shortage of resources caused by leveling every single character to 80-85 and g7 to 8?

Not sure what to tell you. I have level 7 abilities on every character except Revan (who is still locked). I also have 235 purple mats sitting ready for new characters or zetas - I get them faster than I can use them.

All my characters are at level 85, and all my characters have mostly Lv 15 5-dot mods with speed secondaries, other than the 50 or so that I never use (who have no mods). I have 15 mil credits on hand in case good mods come into the shop, and I actually waste a lot of credits messing around with mods.

I have hundreds of gear 7 pieces like Mk3 3 Sienar Holo Projectors, Mk 4 Fusion Furnaces, Mk 3 Detonators, Mk 4 Keypads, Mk 8 Weapon mods, etc. If I can't get someone to G8 on unlock, it's because I am missing stuff like Carbantis or Mk 6 Syringes or Mk1 Armor Mods.

It's not like the resources are scarce and I'm mis-allocating them - they are plentiful! The bottlenecks are stun guns, carbantis, omegas, and the rare mod salvage.

Not using all this stuff wouldn't have helped me at all to get more zetas, 6-dot mods, or G8+ gear. I didn't actively farm any of it - I've just played every day since the game came out.

I'd really like if there was something to do with all these characters. I really enjoyed when CUP and Grievous were amped up in TW. Do more of that so I can use my Mob Enforcer and Gamorrean Guard - why are they in the game if they serve no purpose other than to artificially inflate my GP so that I get crappier PvP matchups?

How can you get crappier pvp matchups if you’ve been playing the game since the day it came out and didn’t waste ressources ? The worst that can happen to you is meet another day 1 player who will be as strong as you if he didn’t waste either, or weaker if he did. Not talking money spending.
  • Risz
    134 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Well I could be considered a sandbagger from your point of view, but if you really look at things, i spend my ressources improving and optimising the toons I like, we don't have infinite ressources and I'd rather spend 7M credits on 2 nice looking mods from the mod store rather than leveling a random toon to 85.

80% of my credits go to buying, leveling and moving mods around.

And even if it impacts my GP, in the end my teams are way above the average for my GP and I can help my guild a lot more in TW.

So no thats not sandbagging, you made choices, you know it's a competitive game so stop blaming others for your poor choices
  • dvvjp7zb2dye.jpg
    Throughout my Grand Arena, dozens of level 1s is common place. (One player has 70 level 1 toons) This is not "focus," this is sandbagging. Now, while the devs have clearly stated that they did not want to give players a competitive advantage to not level/ gear toons (Paper Zombie), they went out of their way to create an event which gives significant competitive advantages to having unleveled and ungeared toons.

Lol you are **** a dude didn't level and gear his 3 star toons and calling it sandbagging? who uses 3 star troops for anything now?
    Off you go, clogging up the forums with this dumb crap
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I have been playing for 3 years, so when do i hit that point where i have enough credits to star, gear and level every toon and still have enough left over to buy mods?

I don't know. You tell me. I've been doing all you've listed. Which one of these resources seems scarce to you?

jn4ov8bzkam1.png

Since I only have g7 toons lowest I can only check them. I already started sandbagging for the newest toons. Which one of these resources you see a potential of running out if not managed wisely? That's the situation for me across the board. The same for numerous purple gear besides a few obvious ones.

c8i8navngd9m.png
    qz5llu30ijw8.png
    cerbf2xu66me.png
    x1qh85g41u5c.png
    c4x46akq3bl4.png
    vn8jdyjrvo85.png

I think there are 2 bottleneck for me and none else up till g7-8. If I'm on a bottleneck for one of them, I don't use it. Not to forget they are also needed for higher gearing.

ckyulmg0ad7w.png
    yjxld64i573o.png

Also I only keep mods with speed secs, nowadays slicing grey/green/blue/purple non stop. And I had enough mods to put on all toons before I took them off once again to sandbag.

Please feel free to demonstrate how anything could have been spent/not spent any wiser with the exception of those 2.

Post edited by No_Try on
  • Risz
    134 posts Member

I don't know. You tell me. I've been doing all you've listed. Which one of these resources seems scarce to you?

jn4ov8bzkam1.png

Dunno how you gathered all that but good job dude, I've been playing for 2 years and I won't have that much ressources next year, to much stuff to use it on.

Did you spend money to get some or is it 100% legit F2P hoarding ?
  • Solution: let's line up the fluffers on one side, the sandbaggers on the other, and have them fling poo at each other. It would be more entertaining than the GA bugfest.

...oh wait, I'm already reading the forum.
  • PoD
    67 posts Member
    BeralCator wrote: »
    Your in-game economy is bad and you should feel bad.

Somehow I do feel bad.
  • No_Try wrote: »

jn4ov8bzkam1.png

Since I only have g7 toons lowest I can only check them. I already started sandbagging for the newest toons. Which one of these resources you see a potential of running out if not managed wisely? That's the situation for me across the board. The same for numerous purple gear besides a few obvious ones.

c8i8navngd9m.png
    qz5llu30ijw8.png
    cerbf2xu66me.png
    x1qh85g41u5c.png
    c4x46akq3bl4.png
    vn8jdyjrvo85.png

I think there are 2 bottleneck for me and none else up till g7-8. If I'm on a bottleneck for one of them, I don't use it. Not to forget they are also needed for higher gearing.

ckyulmg0ad7w.png
    yjxld64i573o.png

Also I only keep mods with speed secs, nowadays slicing grey/green/blue/purple non stop. And I had enough mods to put on all toons before I took them off once again to sandbag.

Please feel free to demonstrate how anything could have been spent/not spent any wiser with the exception of those 2.

I would love the answer of how he managed his resourses badly in this resource management game.
  • There is nothing inherently wise about hoarding gear, mats, and creds unless your goal is to minimize GP.

DefiantImpracticalHare-poster.jpg

...to make them more effective. This is a false equivalency at its core.

Nobody, at any point, who "hoards" game resources does so with the express intent of minimizing GP. They do it in order to be able to react to swift and unexpected changes in the game. Rosters progress with the speed and handling of a cruise ship, requiring methodical planning and diligent execution of that plan. Unforeseen events arise (in the form of disruptive character kits, reworks or game modes) that require rosters to move more like a speed boat, changing direction quickly and accelerating at once. Having resources on-hand enables that. Spending everything you have the minute you have it does not.

You wouldn't run your household without a savings buffer, would you? Why would you play the game that way?

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    @No_Try would you mind posting your swgoh.gg too, I dont have it handy.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    @No_Try would you mind posting your swgoh.gg too, I dont have it handy.

It's in the sig.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

The last one. ;)
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    BrtStlnd wrote: »

Zombie is a terrible example because she SPECIFICALLY was a more effective character at lower gear. The point they were making in leveling characters is that the more you invest in them, the better they should perform, this is NOT saying “you should level all characters.”

Zombies best characteristic was to die as often as possible. This is not true with any other character in the game.

No one is saying you should level all characters. The point is that zombi performed better with less resources invested (which was not in the spirit of the game according to the devs), just like a roster performs better with less resources invested.
    For example, i've got 100m+ credits just laying around, if i would use half of those credits to "improve" my roster it would actually make my roster worse given the fact that i already have all my usefull toons at lvl 85. I'm only using half of my credits in this example because the other half could actually benefit my roster in one way or another in the near future.
    That's the similarity between the zombi example and what's happening now with GA. Obviously there are differences, but that's the main similarity that applies to both.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

jn4ov8bzkam1.png

c8i8navngd9m.png
    qz5llu30ijw8.png
    cerbf2xu66me.png
    x1qh85g41u5c.png
    c4x46akq3bl4.png
    vn8jdyjrvo85.png

ckyulmg0ad7w.png
    yjxld64i573o.png

Very impressive, now the question is do you feel you could have a better collection of mods?

Do you feel you could have a more combat effective roster?

How are your ships doing?

I would want better mods to keep competing at the tier we are at.

I also noticed you are very low on crystals, which is one of the more fluid currencies.

I am truly impressed by your coins, I have never been able to keep that much currency.

None of this are necessary for you to really answer, because they are all personal questions that are defined by the path a player sees. Someone choosing to not developed their roster in one way to develop in another and then get a game mode that may be beneficial to that plan is not the players fault and doesnt make the system wrong.

This can also all be effected by the guild you are in and how they have progressed through the game modes.

My point has always been that there are choices and those choices can be good or bad as we walk into a new situation. The situation doesnt need to be designed to us, just designed in a way that we can make a path to get to a place where we can do better.

You have made what you feel are good choices, but that doesnt mean that that path needs to be followed or can be followed by anyone else.

I wont be removing any mods because I see no benefit to it. I am in the bracket I am in and will build up the toons that will help me get better. That being said, i dont see that as sandbagging.