Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• How to fix GA Matchmaking:

Assign invisible modifiers to each character’s GP, then use that cumulative instead of GP as the main matchmaking metric.

So, create an invisible secondary “weighted” GP used only for matchmaking.

Example:

A G12, 7* Ugnaught may have a GP of around 17000. (I don’t actually know, let’s just say it is)
    But Ugnaught doesn’t help you in GA whatsoever, therefore we assign this character a GP modifier of 0.1 or maybe even 0.0, because he is truly useless.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum, characters that are incredibly difficult to beat, require massive investments, and generally make the difference between the good players and the bad players, would have much higher modifiers. Game changers like Jedi Knight Revan and Darth Traya may have modifiers of 4.0 or even higher.

Fluff based inventories with lots of bad characters starred and leveled will have this taken into consideration with the weighted GP, and lifelong meta-chasers with every OP team that’s ever been will suddenly find themselves facing likeminded individuals in GA rather than taking a leisurely walk in the park over some dudes with 70 characters at Gear 8.

So... What do we think?
  • I don't understand the "Grand Arena is just a 'who's bigger'" contest line of reasoning when, as the exchange above me proves, this whole forum is basically a "who's bigger" contest.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • EliteR3b3L
    79 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Enjoy it
    Post edited by EliteR3b3L on
  • the comments about people crying because they are losing childish. i have yet to lose a single grand arena and hate every minute of it. winning or losing has nothing to do with it. ill win at a consistent rate and sure i will lose some but no matter how high my win percentage is this grand arena feature will be no fun to me.

some of you wont understand why alot of the player base revolts at something like grand arena because you are different people than we are. there is nothing wrong with being different. alot of people making comments pointing fingers at the other side and then making childish counter comments me included isnt got to fix this disturbance in the force.

what can they do to make it better for those of us that just dont like grand arena? they could run 2 events at the same time that have similar rewards. one being grand arena and the other being a single player pve type tb event or maybe tw. i am willing to bet if players had to choose which one they wanted to participate in the majority of the player base would not play grand arena and would play the alternative event.

this would solve alot of problems and imo show good faith on the developers part. allowing the players to choose their path instead of forcing them into a feature like grand arena would solve things like sandbagging and people not participating which ruins grand arena for those who do want to play it.

would ea/cg do something like this? i dont think so because it would make the player base happy and give players options which doesnt seem to be the recent trend in how this game has evolved.

i think this is the best most logical answer to solve this disturbance in the force. allow the player to chose the path to which event they wish to go for rewards playing.
  • I haven't felt the need to comment on anything going on in the game for a while, but with GA I do feel a need to make a comment. I guess I might have misunderstood, but I thought we would be matched with players with similar stats. But so far I'm getting matched with players that overpower me. I just kind of sigh and don't bother to attack because it's just not worth the time or effort, I have no hope of winning and I'm just going to end up frustrating myself. I have a really solid lineup but simply not quite solid enough to stand up against the other players' lineups. And I refuse to spend any more money on this game simply to become more competitive in GA. That's something else that's simply not worth the time or the effort.
    "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes." ~ Leia Organa
  • the comments about people crying because they are losing childish. i have yet to lose a single grand arena and hate every minute of it. winning or losing has nothing to do with it. ill win at a consistent rate and sure i will lose some but no matter how high my win percentage is this grand arena feature will be no fun to me.

some of you wont understand why alot of the player base revolts at something like grand arena because you are different people than we are. there is nothing wrong with being different. alot of people making comments pointing fingers at the other side and then making childish counter comments me included isnt got to fix this disturbance in the force.

what can they do to make it better for those of us that just dont like grand arena? they could run 2 events at the same time that have similar rewards. one being grand arena and the other being a single player pve type tb event or maybe tw. i am willing to bet if players had to choose which one they wanted to participate in the majority of the player base would not play grand arena and would play the alternative event.

this would solve alot of problems and imo show good faith on the developers part. allowing the players to choose their path instead of forcing them into a feature like grand arena would solve things like sandbagging and people not participating which ruins grand arena for those who do want to play it.

would ea/cg do something like this? i dont think so because it would make the player base happy and give players options which doesnt seem to be the recent trend in how this game has evolved.

i think this is the best most logical answer to solve this disturbance in the force. allow the player to chose the path to which event they wish to go for rewards playing.

I don't think it would solve the complaining. If the events were an either or choice, people that wanted to do both wouldn't like that they can't. After all you can like pve and pvp both.

If you were allowed to do both, then those that didn't like one or the other would complain that they are forced to do the one they don't like or fall behind. So there's no winning for cg on this one.

They seem to release new game modes for both pve and pvp fairly equaly. Tb then tw then new raid then new grand arena.
  • Rag_Scrag
    75 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    The more GP a player has, the more squads they use in GA and so ships are relegated to a minor role (1 of 8 battles at 4M GP - I’m not there yet)
    Anyone with more than 1/8 (12.5%) of GP in ships is at a disadvantage and the further they are above 12.5%, the bigger their disadvantage.
    By weighting compared to toons, ships become almost irrelevant, but we’re still matched by total GP???
    Sorry but that makes no sense
    Total GP sees those with more in toons always at an advantage. Total GP matching makes life easier for EA, but thoroughly shafts anyone thinking ships are no minor detail
    Ya think that using a weighting method for each stratum of GP might improve things? If you’re going to make the effort to program so much code, shouldn’t you also make the effort to create good match-ups? (and not walkovers that offer no challenge)
    - -
    PS
    I’m not at 4M
    At 44% in ships I’m way over most folks and only 56% in toons means I’m always behind my opponent. I’ve won when I met one noob with mods, but I don’t expect to see that again for a long, long time. (I now know how fish in a barrel feel)
    Am I asking for a rewrite so I’m matched by toons and ships then give me advantage? That’s simplistic thinking, the balance of weighting fixes that. Or EA match by both toon GP & ship GP
  • I would hope that people would keep an open mind as it relates to GA. If you've read the announcements by CG, they indicated that there could be variations in the makeup of squads in future events such as 3 on 3, etc.....
    I know the initial response is to either accept it, or hate it and ask for rewrites, or changes in the matchmaking etc.....

But seeing as it is still in its first cycle, barely 1/3 complete, I think its a little too early to have written it off. I did win my first match, but my 2nd round ended up against the strongest opponent out of 8. Still going to give it my best, and see what happens.

Sorry if some players don't see it this way, but don't think that no one likes it. I like it just fine.
  • I like it, but it takes too much time. Twenty-four hour preview phase. Twenty-four hour set-up, which takes me less than 5 minutes. Twenty-four hour attack, which takes me about ten minutes....for what? Some mod gear? Speed it up
  • Rag_Scrag wrote: »
    The more GP a player has, the more squads they use in GA and so ships are relegated to a minor role (1 of 8 battles at 4M GP - I’m not there yet)
    Anyone with more than 1/8 (12.5%) of GP in ships is at a disadvantage and the further they are above 12.5%, the bigger their disadvantage.
    By weighting compared to toons, ships become almost irrelevant, but we’re still matched by total GP???
    Sorry but that makes no sense
    Total GP sees those with more in toons always at an advantage. Total GP matching makes life easier for EA, but thoroughly shafts anyone thinking ships are no minor detail
    Ya think that using a weighting method for each stratum of GP might improve things? If you’re going to make the effort to program so much code, shouldn’t you also make the effort to create good match-ups? (and not walkovers that offer no challenge)
    - -
    PS
    I’m not at 4M
    At 44% in ships I’m way over most folks and only 56% in toons means I’m always behind my opponent. I’ve won when I met one noob with mods, but I don’t expect to see that again for a long, long time. (I now know how fish in a barrel feel)
    Am I asking for a rewrite so I’m matched by toons and ships then give me advantage? That’s simplistic thinking, the balance of weighting fixes that. Or EA match by both toon GP & ship GP

My ship GP is about 40% of my gp and it has been no disadvantage. I have won every match so far. You can have a good ship roster and a competitive roster of characters too.
  • I still feel like players with more of a collection-style gameplay are completely screwed in this mode. Yeah, my GP is the same, but I'm being punished for having more characters farmed
  • All my toons and ships are level 85 and a minimum of gear 7. Which puts me at 4.1mil gp Dont have any of the big stars like traya, revan, hoda, etc my arena is full of the fully geared and Zetas. Cant even beat 1 sqaud. Its poo
  • I am sorry if this was somewhere in previous 43 pages of this topic.

Is there possibility to add "Done" button? With that you can short defense and attack phase, cause now i am done, i dont have anything good enough for attack, and i assume my opponent also. 24h time limit is ok and should stay, but with "done" you can speed up all a bit, sometimes it will be 20h faster, and sometimes not at all.. So 8 players can speed up, or they dont.. So it is up to us. If all are done, members can get message for next phase start.
    @CG_SBCrumb

GA is cool, only little hard to choose defense or offence, to much teams for me at least, but ok.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    I've won every match so far, and I am gonna be honest, if there was always good matchups, I'd not complain at all about this and enjoy it more. Winning easily is not fun, just as much as losing with no chance is for the other guy. I can't wait for the 2nd/first matchup to happen cause an actual fight might actually happen. That's honestly my entire grief about it. Suggestions above seem great, anything for a more fair match so its more fun for both sides :)
  • @CG_SBCrumb As this is a global event, it seems to me that it would be fair to hide the number of banners during the attack phase. It is a huge advantage to whoever attacks second in an even match-up and it gives a timezone based advantage. The player to finish attacking second knows exactly how to configure squads to win best (using 3 or 4 toons if necessary). I know this probably does not affect everyone, but it was frustrating to lose just because the arbitrary start and end time is while I'm sleeping.

I lost a round by four banners and easily could have planned better if I had known my opponents final banner count, but instead he shot last (presumably because he was awake at the end of the round and I was not).
  • Absolutely loving GA guys, great job! Matchmaking seems really spot on in my group, thankyou for this update, keep up the good work.
  • Player lock for the entire event is garbage. A lot of improvements have happened to my roster in the past couple of days and they are useless in Grand Arena. So, there's no way to improve your roster for the next round until the current event is over.
  • FolsomTony wrote: »
    I would hope that people would keep an open mind as it relates to GA. If you've read the announcements by CG, they indicated that there could be variations in the makeup of squads in future events such as 3 on 3, etc.....
    I know the initial response is to either accept it, or hate it and ask for rewrites, or changes in the matchmaking etc.....

But seeing as it is still in its first cycle, barely 1/3 complete, I think its a little too early to have written it off. I did win my first match, but my 2nd round ended up against the strongest opponent out of 8. Still going to give it my best, and see what happens.

Sorry if some players don't see it this way, but don't think that no one likes it. I like it just fine.

I actually love GA right now. A pvp game mode that’s not super stale, and actually allows me to try out so much things. TW was by far my favorite game mode, now GA is up there.
    Every round i just can’t wait to see who my opponent is going to be to study their roster and decide what i’m going to do. Can’t remember the last time i had to think in pvp in this game. Really love it.
  • My feedback : long‚ boring and no fun compared to tw (much more reactive). Happy for those who enjoy it.
  • JohnAran wrote: »
    FolsomTony wrote: »
    I would hope that people would keep an open mind as it relates to GA. If you've read the announcements by CG, they indicated that there could be variations in the makeup of squads in future events such as 3 on 3, etc.....

I actually love GA right now. A pvp game mode that’s not super stale, and actually allows me to try out so much things. TW was by far my favorite game mode, now GA is up there.
    Every round i just can’t wait to see who my opponent is going to be to study their roster and decide what i’m going to do. Can’t remember the last time i had to think in pvp in this game. Really love it.

What good is it for you to study the lists of your opponents if we only station and do not attack, because we have absolutely no interest in measuring overselves against other players?
  • I think GA is better then TW. With that said please make the combat more interesting then just a bunch of arena battles. Give us vehicles like the atst that we can strategically place with one of our squads, make 3 man team nodes or 8 man team nodes, apply hidden bonuses to specific characters to encourage players to develop their rosters. Give each player a single use staffing run for the battle. Make platoons we can fill with unusable characters that boost our other characters based on the gp thrown into those platoons. (3 platoons for top and bottom, 5 characters a platoon. When a platoon is filled boost a specific stat (offense, defense, and health) of your attacking characters or reduce a stat of theirs. Total gp in those platoons would impact the percents.

Anything to make it more interesting then the current mass arena battles. You could even make it that securing a territory unlocks a fillable platoon to unlock other abilities to help in the fight. Secure front bottom unlock atat ability for a combined total of 50k gp deployed. Back Bottom unlock ion cannon. Top front unlock health up. Top back unlock strafing run. Make it interesting please. So much potential in this game mode but its boring as is and doesn't add much in terms of fun, just more busy work for us.
  • JohnAran wrote: »
    FolsomTony wrote: »

What good is it for you to study the lists of your opponents if we only station and do not attack, because we have absolutely no interest in measuring overselves against other players?

I enjoy the time i’m spending trying to anticipate what can happen and identify the best course of action, then i enjoy the free win and rewards. Zero downside for me. Exactly the same as any other pvp game mode.
  • I might actually win this round. Neat. Currently 106 banners up on the guy because they didn't set a rear defense team, just front lines--unfortunately I can't possibly beat Traya so I won't crack their top row. Meanwhile I've got two teams left on defense and there's enough time for them to beat both. Going to be a nice little nail-biter of a finish.

Anyway, now that I've seen this thing work in practice, I like it. Matchmaking D E F I N I T E L Y needs refining, but you can't refine it without raw data so we're helping make the sausage, to mix a whole bunch of metaphors.

Please take this mode as an opportunity to go nuts with squad compostitions--tanks only battles, no support battles, fleet only zones but allow us to use ships set on defense in offense as well, zones where only ewoks or only jawas can be used offensively or defensively. Experiment and go nuts, keep it fresh and exciting.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Anyone else think they need to restructure the rewards?
    Currently with the reward brackets being 1, 2-4,5-7,8 - I think they should be adjusted to 1, 2-3,4-5,6-7,8 - that way you have incentive to compete in all 3 rounds.
    With the current rewards system, if you win your first round and lose your 2nd, you're likely going to get either 3rd or 4th place, which get you the exact same rewards. It will work similarly if you lose your first round and win the 2nd, though you'd most likely take 5th or 6th, which also have the same rewards. This basically means that people who either win the first 2 rounds, or lose the first 2 rounds are really going to be the only ones that are likely to move into a different bracket in round 3 (either getting the best, or worst rewards respectively)
  • It would also be nice if we could see how many banners have so that we know, when we're going up against someone how many trophies we need to get to be able to actually win the overall bracket
  • TVF wrote: »
    ottomaddux wrote: »
    Please tell me we dont have to do this mode more than once every couple months

Good news! You don't have to do it at all.

Good news if you dont ever want to be competitive to play.

Of course if you like the other aspects of the game you will be forced to play it to be even remotely competitive.

Please stop being such a ****.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    GiantFen wrote: »
    It would also be nice if we could see how many banners have so that we know, when we're going up against someone how many trophies we need to get to be able to actually win the overall bracket

Only one person can go 3-0 in the event. That person gets the overall trophy.
  • Wow so we gonna run it all December to what?test it out... Oh yeah cause that wasn't done before during development

From all the bugs popping up it seems it wasnt
  • Baddbrad wrote: »
    I think it's awesome. Quality roster over quantity. Adjust moving forward.

Have you played it yet, because ive lost three times to players with more mediocore teams to my few really good teams.
    We both clear, but inevitably my bench isnt deep enough and i lose by 20 points.

This all about quantity.
  • Just gotta say...
    I’m at 4M GP. No Revan, no Traya. I love farming mods, so I have powerful mods on ALL of my characters, even though I don’t use half of them.
    My matchup for GA includes multiple Revan and Traya squads.
    Looking into their rosters, I’m seeing that most of my opponents have zero mods on the bottom half of their rosters. I obviously can’t say for sure whether they just don’t have any mods or have stripped them.
    Regardless, this means that even if we have similar overall GP, my overall ROSTER is definitely stronger.
    If I stripped the mods from the bottom half of my roster, I could lower my GP by 600-900k GP (or thereabouts).
    This is cheating, in my opinion, and I’m tempted to do it, not only for the benefit in GA, but TerWars, as well.
    Can we not improve the matchup algorithms to factor in things like this?

Higher gp in tw means bigger prizes. Opposite of ga.