Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• ottomaddux
    490 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Gannon wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Baddbrad wrote: »
    I think it's awesome. Quality roster over quantity. Adjust moving forward.
    You mean ptp roster vs ftp! Grand Arena was introduced to appease open wallets.

Having a quality roster is choice that anyone can make.

True, but it's very hard to change what road you started down, especially considering the advantage of lean rosters is a fairly recent thing.

Not really all that recent. A lean roster has been good for tw for a year now.

Also if you're ftp, a lean roster was a must to score high in hstr since you really have to max out teams that are good to compete and you have limited resources so by default yoy needed to focus.

Even before that pit and haat were the same way before one team could solo them.

The only exception is tb where fluffing your gp does provide a benefit. Though unless you already beat every battle perfectly, focusing on good teams to beat those gives you more points than simply leveling up random stuff to deploy.

So lean rosters have been a thing for awhile.

Incorrect, i only started padding my roster because of TW. My guild encourages higher gps to get the higher tier prizes.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    GiantFen wrote: »
    Anyone else think they need to restructure the rewards?
    Currently with the reward brackets being 1, 2-4,5-7,8 - I think they should be adjusted to 1, 2-3,4-5,6-7,8 - that way you have incentive to compete in all 3 rounds.
    With the current rewards system, if you win your first round and lose your 2nd, you're likely going to get either 3rd or 4th place, which get you the exact same rewards. It will work similarly if you lose your first round and win the 2nd, though you'd most likely take 5th or 6th, which also have the same rewards. This basically means that people who either win the first 2 rounds, or lose the first 2 rounds are really going to be the only ones that are likely to move into a different bracket in round 3 (either getting the best, or worst rewards respectively)

It's based on record. 2-4 have the same record (2 wins 1 loss) so they get the same rewards, same for 5-7 (2 losses 1 win). If you are 1-1 after the first two rounds, regardless of which you won and which you lost, you have to win the third round to finish in the 2-4 bracket.
  • Commander_Wolffe
    211 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    if you lose your first round and win the 2nd, though you'd most likely take 5th or 6th, which also have the same rewards.

Incorrect. If you lose first round, win second round, win third round, then you are in the 2 wins bracket which is 2-4th and not 5th or 6th.

This counts the number of wins. There's a prize bracket for 3 wins, a bracket for 2 wins, a bracket for 1 win, and a bracket of 0 wins. This is a swiss tourney and the number of wins matter. This is not like a college basketball or football tournament, because we don't have global rankings where the #1 seed plays the #8 seed, etc. Everybody has 3 battles and whoever wins the most is in 1st place.

• mrwingtipshoes
    37 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Delete
    Post edited by mrwingtipshoes on
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    There were 2 guys in GA which I thought had better rosters then me, like 24+ G12 and more zeta's ect. Both of them are not in the finals with me, and instead its someone with 2 G12 whose somehow won twice, I am so confused. lol.

Is the guy with 2 G12 hacking or something or are people just that bad at TW that they also are that bad in GA that they can somehow lose with more then 22 G12's then someone else who has 2?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Gorem wrote: »
    There were 2 guys in GA which I thought had better rosters then me, like 24+ G12 and more zeta's ect. Both of them are not in the finals with me, and instead its someone with 2 G12 whose somehow won twice, I am so confused. lol.

Is the guy with 2 G12 hacking or something or are people just that bad at TW that they also are that bad in GA that they can somehow lose with more then 22 G12's then someone else who has 2?

It's also possible that they just didn't bother playing.
  • There should be a GA title or portrait for winning 3-0.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Just gotta say...
    I’m at 4M GP. No Revan, no Traya. I love farming mods, so I have powerful mods on ALL of my characters, even though I don’t use half of them.
    My matchup for GA includes multiple Revan and Traya squads.
    Looking into their rosters, I’m seeing that most of my opponents have zero mods on the bottom half of their rosters. I obviously can’t say for sure whether they just don’t have any mods or have stripped them.
    Regardless, this means that even if we have similar overall GP, my overall ROSTER is definitely stronger.
    If I stripped the mods from the bottom half of my roster, I could lower my GP by 600-900k GP (or thereabouts).
    This is cheating, in my opinion, and I’m tempted to do it, not only for the benefit in GA, but TerWars, as well.
    Can we not improve the matchup algorithms to factor in things like this?

[/quote]

You can not lose that much GP by stripping mods. I manage to lose about 100k GP dropping me a category. You can go to 150k at extreme. This is sandbagging, not cheating.

The problem as I see it is the how GP is calculated. Mods weigh far lower than they should for one of it's problems.

If all players at a guild sandbagged their mods, that may result in dropping down a reward category too which is not the case for GA.

• Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

That's true, I went from expecting to come last, to expecting to come in the 7-2 range, and am now going to come first, lol. Thought at least the people with rosters would be trying.
  • [/quote]

Incorrect. If you lose first round, win second round, win third round, then you are in the 2 wins bracket which is 2-4th and not 5th or 6th.

This counts the number of wins. There's a prize bracket for 3 wins, a bracket for 2 wins, a bracket for 1 win, and a bracket of 0 wins. This is a swiss tourney and the number of wins matter. This is not like a college basketball or football tournament, because we don't have global rankings where the #1 seed plays the #8 seed, etc. Everybody has 3 battles and whoever wins the most is in 1st place.

[/quote]

The reward tiers in GA are poorly structured in my opinion, they've essentially grouped the reward tiers by number of wins (3=1st, 2=2-4th, 1=5-7th, 0=8th). This is fine if each matchup in the group is randomly selected each round, but in actuality winners advance and should you win your first two matchups you face the other player with two wins (presumably the toughest opponent in the group). It's almost beneficial to throw your first matchup if you don't feel you have the best odds of winning, because then you'll get more favorable matchups in rounds 2-3 and have a better chance at tier 2 rewards. I get that they want to make sure only one player winds up with 3 wins, but it still seems like the loser of that "championship" matchup gets the shaft on rewards by getting grouped in with player(s) they've already beaten. The only case where rewards should be the same would be if you have not faced the opponent head to head yet have the same overall record.
    if you lose your first round and win the 2nd, though you'd most likely take 5th or 6th, which also have the same rewards.
  • I am so lost reading this thread; how are you getting additional rounds? GA popped up once for me, I signed up, won the match and... that was it. Nothing additional and nothing else since, just “No Grand Arena events at this time.”
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    jcin617 wrote: »
    I am so lost reading this thread; how are you getting additional rounds? GA popped up once for me, I signed up, won the match and... that was it. Nothing additional and nothing else since, just “No Grand Arena events at this time.”

It's active now, on the final round. There was a bug where it didn't show up for some tho I think
  • Gannon wrote: »
    I am so lost reading this thread; how are you getting additional rounds? GA popped up once for me, I signed up, won the match and... that was it. Nothing additional and nothing else since, just “No Grand Arena events at this time.”

It's active now, on the final round. There was a bug where it didn't show up for some tho I think

I got round 1, which I won, then that was it. Never came back. That’s a bummer, I just assumed it was one-and-done.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

I got round 1, which I won, then that was it. Never came back. That’s a bummer, I just assumed it was one-and-done.

The one round one was an exhibition/trial run. Then they started a real one a few days ago. It's basically the same, except there's a ship sector now and three rounds.
  • I would like to report a bug that doesn't allow my night sister zombie to move during phase 4 of the sith raid heroic
  • mikak
    16 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I like GA.
    one week in 7x 24h periods is just fine. Matchmaking is good enough.

Only thing I miss is possibility to change team in defense during setup period. I mean If I accidently place wrong team. For example I have my raid Bastilla team with Ezra but in TW and GA Ezra goes with phoenix..
  • I hope devs reading all posts and take them under consideration. As I wrote after preseason game- I like GA more then I expected. After two matches of first season- I still like it but now I know: I will lose all of my GA games. My GP is inflated so I play against ppl with twice as many g12 toons. Collectors like me will never have any chance in this mode...
  • Gorem wrote: »

That's true, I went from expecting to come last, to expecting to come in the 7-2 range, and am now going to come first, lol. Thought at least the people with rosters would be trying.

grand arena is so horrible its not even worth playing imo. i won my first 2 battles and the process was so boring and not fun that i am not even going to play the final match.

i dont think i will even try in future grand arenas because the feature just is horribly designed and not what alot of the community is looking for. there are some that want this feature but if it is forced that you have to play this horrible feature then expect alot of battles where people dont even play and you might be able to win some battles that you shouldnt just because people dont care enough about this horrible feature
  • Haven’t received any of my rewards for the rounds

grand arena is so horrible its not even worth playing imo. i won my first 2 battles and the process was so boring and not fun that i am not even going to play the final match.

i dont think i will even try in future grand arenas because the feature just is horribly designed and not what alot of the community is looking for. there are some that want this feature but if it is forced that you have to play this horrible feature then expect alot of battles where people dont even play and you might be able to win some battles that you shouldnt just because people dont care enough about this horrible feature

If you don't like it, don't play it but please put away your crystal ball of doom.

Some will like it and enjoy the content some will be ok with it and some will dislike it, pretty much like most things in life.

If you don't like it, don't play it but please put away your crystal ball of doom.

Some will like it and enjoy the content some will be ok with it and some will dislike it, pretty much like most things in life.

i am trying to communicate to the devs that they should setup an alternative event that people could opt into instead of grand arena during the grand arena event. i would love to not be able to play it and just play something different. based on all the forums and chat rooms im in the consensus seems to be that more people dislike this then like it. the biggest group is in the meh category where they dont dislike it but dont like it either.

if they want to change this game to force more pvpe type battles i just dont see this helping the game community as a whole i see it hurting it. will there be people that have fun during the process of pain yes but the numbers wont lie and as someone who programs statistical process control algorithms this process needs someone to help put the out of control path back on a controlled path that has a destination.

the grand arena doesnt have a path. it doesnt determine who is better. it doesnt determine who is the best in the game. theres lots of things that it was advertised as being able to do but grand arena falls short on all those things. so those who do play it competitively cant even credibly say they are dominate because there are so many flaws its easy to dismiss the win as the horrible system.

we can beat around the bush and watch things get worse or we can confront the issues and hope the developers do something to help the community as a whole not divide it more than it already is.

I am hoping that we get a alternative event so that those that want to particpate in grand arena can gain the credibility to say they dominated people who wanted to played and participated in grand arena. right now its just luck of the draw and then luck of who in your bracked actually cares and doesnt care about grand arena.

i know the guy in the championship match wasnt happy when i sent him a pm telling him i wasnt even going to battle to see who was the best and that he will win but not actually winning because i am not fighting in the championship round. that will be what i do every grand arena. get to championship round if i am forced to participate then send a message to the champion letting them know they arent a champion.

• ottomaddux wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Baddbrad wrote: »
    I think it's awesome. Quality roster over quantity. Adjust moving forward.
    You mean ptp roster vs ftp! Grand Arena was introduced to appease open wallets.

Having a quality roster is choice that anyone can make.

True, but it's very hard to change what road you started down, especially considering the advantage of lean rosters is a fairly recent thing.

Not really all that recent. A lean roster has been good for tw for a year now.

Also if you're ftp, a lean roster was a must to score high in hstr since you really have to max out teams that are good to compete and you have limited resources so by default yoy needed to focus.

Even before that pit and haat were the same way before one team could solo them.

The only exception is tb where fluffing your gp does provide a benefit. Though unless you already beat every battle perfectly, focusing on good teams to beat those gives you more points than simply leveling up random stuff to deploy.

So lean rosters have been a thing for awhile.

Incorrect, i only started padding my roster because of TW. My guild encourages higher gps to get the higher tier prizes.

Most people I've talked to encourage better teams so you can actually win tw. Yes, if you pad enough you can get a higher tier but if you want to actually win tw, padding hurts you.

Adding gp to get the guaranteed zeta or two zetas works well enough but adding that gp to teams you actually use works much better in the long run.
  • mikak wrote: »
    I like GA.
    one week in 7x 24h periods is just fine. Matchmaking is good enough.

Only thing I miss is possibility to change team in defense during setup period. I mean If I accidently place wrong team. For example I have my raid Bastilla team with Ezra but in TW and GA Ezra goes with phoenix..

I did the same thing. It didn't make a difference though. After that I created a new tab of tw/ga defense so I just click on that tab and set my preset teams. Then there's less chance of messing it up.
  • Commander_Wolffe
    211 posts Member
    edited December 2018

i know the guy in the championship match wasnt happy when i sent him a pm telling him i wasnt even going to battle to see who was the best and that he will win but not actually winning because i am not fighting in the championship round. that will be what i do every grand arena. get to championship round if i am forced to participate then send a message to the champion letting them know they arent a champion.

How is anybody forcing you to participate?

**forcing** - You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.
  • Using a players total GP is penalising players who have invested heavily in Fleet strength. My GP is split 55%/45% Chara/Ships. Players who have neglected their Fleet say 75%/25% split have much better chara strength and easily out power my Chara squads. That's 80% of the battles at my GP.
  • PolskaStronaMocy
    30 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    How to fix matchmaking? GP of player should be based only on top 15 toons for players up to 2 mln gp; 20 toons up to 3 mln GP; 25 toons for players up to 4mln GP; 30 toons for those above 4mln GP. Tadaaaa
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    How to fix matchmaking? GP of player should be based only on top 15 toons for players up to 2 mln gp; 20 toons up to 3 mln GP; 25 toons for players up to 4mln GP; 30 toons for those above 4mln GP. Tadaaaa

What? At 3m gp you place 30 characters on defense and need about as many for offense. Why on earth would it only look at the top 20 characters?
  • I have 2 simple suggestions to make setting defenses easier:

1) Do not have the teams LOCK as soon as you click "set". Make it more like the screen for Squad Management, where we can EDIT and move pieces around. Then we can change our minds or just see how the teams look and then re-arrange. The teams would then "lock" at the end of the setup phase, similar to how our rosters lock at the end of the join phase.

2) An auto-deploy button to pre-fill the slots. You've already programmed the auto-deploy feature, so why not offer it up front to be able to click it and then coincides with suggestion #1 to then move things around or make substitutions. Having it locked up immediately is less flexible.
  • The event needs to be shorter - a week for this is way too long.

Make the cycle times 12 hours instead of 24. We get two tw’s fit into the same time as a grand arena with much better rewards.
  • Grand Arena needs turning off. It's no fun and it's utterly unfair.