What are your best gaming memories?

DuneSeaFarmer
3525 posts Member
edited December 2018
We all have things we remember. What is/are your best memories?

Example:

My best friend and I were partners in crime playing the latest game. We were playing Prince of Persia. The hero was at the end of the path and couldn't progress without falling to his death. Or so we thought. My Dad called (he lived in another state) and we were catching up on family news, etc. He asked what I was up to. I explained I was ready to throw my keyboard, as I couldn't figure out what to do next in the game. He was a big console fan, and loved playing Mario etc.. He suggested I step off and see what happened. Guess what, shadows of Indiana Jones, the walkway was invisible. My Dad was once again, my hero.

So what are your best memories?
Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Shortly after the original DOOM was released. 4 guys playing connected by modems. We all waited until each of us had a chainsaw, then we stepped out in the open to a yard, placed our selves one in each corner of the yard - and then we went at it against each other with chainsaws only.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    Shortly after the original DOOM was released. 4 guys playing connected by modems. We all waited until each of us had a chainsaw, then we stepped out in the open to a yard, placed our selves one in each corner of the yard - and then we went at it against each other with chainsaws only.

I miss those games, Doom, Quake..
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein, when I got to the dungeon and a zombie was behind me, jumped out of my skin.
    Getting Lumi to 7*, my first. Unlocking Vader and 7*.
    Basically all the single player milestones of this game.
    100% completion of Assassins Creed 2, with achievements and all.
    There are so many to even cover.
  • Another of mine happened in the first MMO I ever played "Star Wars Galaxies - SOE". I had achieved Jedi (the long way not insta roll) and had to keep it hidden to avoid Bounty Hunters (order 66). I was making my way thru some woods at night. I saw a player fighting the Meatlump King (Random spawn boss). She was not doing so well and I wanted to help, but I would have taken the fun out of her beating it. Soooo I used force-heal and kept her alive. She won and turned to see who/what I was and gasped, "A JEDI!!". I bowed and cloaked and left. I know it was just a game, but that was hella fun.
  • Another of mine happened in the first MMO I ever played "Star Wars Galaxies - SOE". I had achieved Jedi (the long way not insta roll) and had to keep it hidden to avoid Bounty Hunters (order 66). I was making my way thru some woods at night. I saw a player fighting the Meatlump King (Random spawn boss). She was not doing so well and I wanted to help, but I would have taken the fun out of her beating it. Soooo I used force-heal and kept her alive. She won and turned to see who/what I was and gasped, "A JEDI!!". I bowed and cloaked and left. I know it was just a game, but that was hella fun.

True jedi moment. I didn't know you were the consular!
  • The weekends of halo reach custom games
  • Vendi1983
    5017 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Using a splitter to send GoldenEye to two TVs, then covering the other player's half with cardboard for challenging "Licence to Kill" with pistols.

Ten years after last playing it I picked it up at my buddy's rented apartment, and proceeded to unlock the Invincibility cheat (Facility in 2:05 or 2:15 I think) that had eluded him for years on my 4th try. He even left the room after the first few, stating he'd come check in a few hours.

So many memories of that game alone I could make an entire thread.
  • Mile high club achievement in CoD4
  • I hopped into a game of Battlefront Bad Co with my friends, the match was already in progress. The first thing I hear over chat is my friend yelling, "they got our helicopter! They have both helicopters!"

Just as he finished I saw both coming over the horizon straight for me. I jumped in the empty tank I spawned next to, and immediately fired the cannon. The shell arced perfectly and struck the lead chopper in the nose, taking it out of the air.

As I waited for the cannon to reload, the remaining chopper passed overhead to my 6, so as I reeled the turret around I fired, fully expecting to miss by a mile. Sure enough, I caught it right on the tail and blew it out of the sky. I have never had screams of joy so loud in my ear over chat before or since that day.
  • I have a weird one. NCAA Football (RIP). You do a career mode, I was playing a RB named Jake Scott (not my name or anyone I know). We were in the NCAA Championship game. We were down I think 3 or 6 with like 10 seconds left. We had the ball around our 40 yard line. The coach wanted to do a little off tackle run to the right. I was furious. Game on the line, that will probably be our last play since its a run play with 10 seconds left.

I don't have the ability to change the play. I'm so mad. I'm thinking how dumb the coach is...etc. My player gets the hand-off, I burst through the hole, dodge a guy, break a tackle and I am gone down the sideline to score the game winning touchdown. It was incredible. All I could think of was "Great Scott!"
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Another of mine happened in the first MMO I ever played "Star Wars Galaxies - SOE". I had achieved Jedi (the long way not insta roll) and had to keep it hidden to avoid Bounty Hunters (order 66). I was making my way thru some woods at night. I saw a player fighting the Meatlump King (Random spawn boss). She was not doing so well and I wanted to help, but I would have taken the fun out of her beating it. Soooo I used force-heal and kept her alive. She won and turned to see who/what I was and gasped, "A JEDI!!". I bowed and cloaked and left. I know it was just a game, but that was hella fun.

True jedi moment. I didn't know you were the consular!

:)

Another in SWG was being hunted. My guildmates could NOT help me. It's you against the Bounty Hunter. If he is coming after you in the daylight, he is fairly certain he can beat you. I had several million XP banked to reach the next skill level and if I die to a BH I would lose the XP. I'm with my guild fighting Krayt Dragons for pearls to use in our light sabers. The guild leader pm's me.. "You're on the BH terminals, haul a.. get inside (in a house with no perms for others to enter)." I waited til he started firing and ran towards a Krayt, did a spinning attack (AOE) to agro it, the BH is attacking me so he is tagged by the agro also. I hit force run and took off into the herd. My GL told me he was cussing me like a drunken sailor. :) Krayt squashed him.
  • Building & piloting giant megabots in Robocraft.

Learning to shoot down Stukas and ME110s in WWIIOL with its realistic physics model.

Pulling 30-60 person god and dragon raids in the original EverQuest.

Winning the tournament at the original (Starsiege) Tribes-con with a pickup team.

Playing Quake 2, Mechwarrior 3 and Total Annihilation at LAN parties. ("Quit humping my mech's leg!" :D )

Playing the early god games - Populius, Powermonger etc. - on a friend's Amiga.

Playing Rebelstar Raiders, the earliest ancestor of what later became the X-COM series on an 8-bit computer.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Pulling 30-60 person god and dragon raids in the original EverQuest.

You would like Guild Wars 2, fighting Tequatl ( Bone Dragon world boss). Takes between 75 to 100 players. :)
  • Darth Revan's reveal in Knights of the Old Republic. Well played.

Finally getting through the Death Star level in Super Return of the Jedi (SNES). What a glorious nightmare. I haven't screamed in terror for that long before or since.
  • Playing Goldeneye for hours in college when we should have been studying.

More recently showing my son the tricks to the NES classic super mario that I d/l onto our Wii. Bunch of extra lives and all that. The look on his face when I beat the game was priceless and communicated his thoughts perfectly "My dad...can game???"

• chron wrote: »
    Darth Revan's reveal in Knights of the Old Republic. Well played.

Finally getting through the Death Star level in Super Return of the Jedi (SNES). What a glorious nightmare. I haven't screamed in terror for that long before or since.

I just got to that reveal a bit ago. I'm actually in the temple on the unknown world guarding the star forge on my first play through. Good game, but the reveal was killed because I knew thanks to a no spoilers alert swgoh.
  • The first few Final Fantasy games were awesome. I spent many a weekends staying up all night playing that.

Before that it was Dragon Warrior for the NES system. The first RPG game I played and it hooked me from there.
  • ChunBurap wrote: »
    More recently showing my son the tricks to the NES classic super mario that I d/l onto our Wii. Bunch of extra lives and all that. The look on his face when I beat the game was priceless and communicated his thoughts perfectly "My dad...can game???"

Ain't it great! The 9 year old in the house made my day when she asked "What's a Jedi?". :)