Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    ViciousG1 wrote: »
    Players that win will love the event, players that lose will hate the event. It's all strategy of what teams to place on defense and a bit of luck of what the opponents place. Yeah, you'll probably get a couple ravens, I did and I got matched against both. Lost one, beat one because they could not pass my defense, nor could I pass his revan, but enough to win.

My biggest take away to make more fair, since you only fight 3 matches out of 7, some players may have an easier road to win, but instead of win/loss for rankings, should be overall points, why should someone get penalized going against 2 of the hardest teams and take losses when someone else may never face them. Overall points would be more even I think and would love to see it that way.

I won the event, and I dislike the event, where do I fit in your example?

There is no balance in the teams you fight, whether you are up against people who actually take it seriously and all that. Right now the only thing determining who you fight is GP, regardless of the fact that I went up against 3 guys in my GA that all only had 2 G12, to my 24. There was others in my GA who had more G12 then both yet I never fought one of them for my three wins.

If Matchmaking was actually good then I'd be enjoying this, doesn't matter if you win or lose. I'd like GA even if I lost against people who would actually be a good fight against, losing to someone who should win is not the same.

Maybe wins will start to determine who we go up against, maybe in the next GA everyone who won three times will all go up against each other? Then maybe all who lost because they focused more on collections then gear, so instead of being punished for playing the way they wanted to, they can win now since they go up against others who lost due to the same reasons?

Only time will tell, just hope things do get better with matchmaking :)
  • stumpoman
    442 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I was the only one in my group of 8 without revan and treya. Shocking no one, I got 8th. Matchmaking has to take into account meta teams like TW does.
  • FolsomTony wrote: »
    Arguing if you don't like it don't play it is not a good argument. People love this game when a game mode is introduced they want it to be the best it can be

Agree to disagree and I think you've backed the wrong horse. The person I responded to wanted to do away with the game mode entirely or have it once a year, not improve it. They somehow felt forced to play it (they are not). In the same vein, they commented that the rewards were no good, so another reason for them not play it. A quick fix for all of their problems is don't play it. Those are facts.

all my posts are directed entirely at improving things so we dont lose more of the community. everyone seems to think this is just about themselves but the numbers and statistics of people leaving the game because of things like grand arena are alarming to me.

if we want to talk about facts at least represent them correctly. for the record i only want to see this game do well.

I'd also like to talk facts.
    Please share the numbers and statistics that you have regarding the "alarming" number of people that are leaving the game.

My guild experience, most seem to like it, some would rather have TW instead. This is a data point, it is by no means a statistic.

you want me to put along list of numbers of individual stories to count together the impacts of things like this only to attempt to break it down. did i say i had the actual numbers that represent entirety of the game no. as a computer programmer who programs statistical process control systems let me explain what a statistic can be.

it can be a sample. like a poll where you take in a sample size and then quantifies a situation into statistics. these statistics have a margin of error.

instead of attacking people and trying to totally shut down their points of view why not try to understand them. thats what im trying to get not only developers but some on these forums to understand. its not about one person. but what is this road and path that we are on and how can this road and path be setup so that the most star wars fans can be on the road and path so that we can all experience some star wars fun? having a road that has different paths and isnt so singular so that the diversity within us can enjoy the experiences we enjoy.

some like grand arena because they like the pvp type environment being single player. some like tw because of the guild experience. some like tb. not everyone likes every aspect and the real challenge to this that would provide longevity and reinvigorate some of the player base would be options.

thats all i am saying. now attack away.

• The GA review window is dumb, please change..
    Still waiting on that edit forum profile setting so I can change my name...
  • I love the new mode and managed to win the inaugural Grand Arena in my shard of 8.
    I’m looking forward to seeing how trios runs and the 3-man team meta evolves.

I like to be able to see a fleshed out leaderboard and more stats eg. total banners and highest banner count in a round etc
    I think this would add more competitive elements to the mode. (Perhaps even create a way to group chat during the event... hint hint nudge nudge)

I hope to see a revolving door of gear rewards (this GA first place got 90 cuffs - next GA could be 60 stun guns). Seeing 90 cuffs in my rewards was really nice by the way 😉

I’m not sure if this has been spoken about already but are you intending to bring a new shop along with game mode, with its own currency/toons attached to it? I’d like that 👍

Again loved it loved it, maybe I’ll be singing a different tune next event when I’m placed in a much harder pool...

• When do we get to see the next round of rewards so that we know how much we are losing from not having any TW this month...
  • First run through was ok.
    Pros - the quest achievements - I think I got 10 zetas total.
    - I saw interesting defense comps that were pretty cool and will be stealing.

Cons- it will always be this way because it’s fair- but there was a lot of waiting.
    - the rewards (will change I know)

I can def see the appeal of this mode. I’m hoping for the first real run through is better.
  • When are we going to see Asajj 'Banshee' ship??? We need more ships - short and sweet post 🤗
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    stumpoman wrote: »
    I was the only one in my group of 8 without revan and treya. Shocking no one, I got 8th. Matchmaking has to take into account meta teams like TW does.

What makes you think TW does that?
  • stumpoman
    442 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Liath wrote: »

I can't remember if it was a post about TW or an interview on the galactic war report podcast but they mentioned how they weighted most likely used teams on each side to match guilds. It's why there's often a disparity in GP in that game mode.

• 24 battles over 6 days, and the reward is 1 stun cuff.

Need much more gear, tokens, crystals, etc. Make this even worth the time investment.
  • The rewards are not reflecting the loss of TW rewards as promised. There should be zeta rewards for all tiers to compensate for the many missed TW zetas. I truly dont understand the logic in promising something and then not delivering.. @CG_SBCrumb
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

I can't remember if it was a post about TW or an interview on the galactic war report podcast but they mentioned how they weighted most likely used teams on each side to match guilds. It's why there's often a disparity in GP in that game mode.

My guild has faced ones with a significant discrepancy in the number of Revans and Trayas.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member

My guild has faced ones with a significant discrepancy in the number of Revans and Trayas.

This.

Granted it's usually pretty even, but we did have a recent one where their 38 Traya went up against our zero.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • While I'm a big fan of the Grand Arena (and hope it just outright replaces TW), I'm not a fan of the 3-toon matches. We basically have to create all new strategies just for this one game mode. Sounds more annoying than fun.
  • If you don't have revan or traya and all those around you gp do, then getting revan and traya should be a goal. Either that or have a good counter team.

I know revan was ptp but that is temporary and you can be ready for the 2nd time. Hstr has been out for 10 months now. If you're above 3 mil gp and don't have traya, it is because you didn't focus on that. Others at your gp did. So they have an advantage.
  • It's pretty **** that TW rewards get replaced with the crap we got last round (I got 1st) and the rewards this round.
  • Are you going to close Territory War contents? The biggest reason that I am playing swgoh is Territory War though...
  • Liath wrote: »

IMO there’s def a problem with it , if they had a feedback thread about it. No one will read it lol but it’s there.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Are you going to close Territory War contents? The biggest reason that I am playing swgoh is Territory War though...

I think it's temporary until they sort out/iron out GA kinks. It's to avoid schedule conflict.
  • If you don't have revan or traya and all those around you gp do, then getting revan and traya should be a goal. Either that or have a good counter team.

I know revan was ptp but that is temporary and you can be ready for the 2nd time. Hstr has been out for 10 months now. If you're above 3 mil gp and don't have traya, it is because you didn't focus on that. Others at your gp did. So they have an advantage.
    Only disagree with the bolded point about Traya. If your guild is not ready for hstr, your own gp simply don't matter. Not everyone changes guilds just because of a temporary advantage ;) . That has not much to do with focusing anymore, as someone could have focused on the raid characters, but others just didn't enough (yet) .
  • @CG_SBCrumb I must say that the rewards for the coming 3v3 Grand Arena are very disappointing. When you tell us that the rewards will be comparable to those we would achieve in Territory Wars it's reasonable to expect that each participant would receive Zetas - even if it's only 1. Instead, those finishing 5th-8th get no Zetas. You've overpromised and underdelivered.
  • Posting here to say I LOVE the grand arena! Fantastic job on this mode. The only feedback I'd give would be a way to shorten the phases, but I understand if thats not plausible due to time zones. I am also looking forward to 3v3 because it'll make me have to think outside the box! Excellent work.
  • @CG_SBCrumb I must say that the rewards for the coming 3v3 Grand Arena are very disappointing. When you tell us that the rewards will be comparable to those we would achieve in Territory Wars it's reasonable to expect that each participant would receive Zetas - even if it's only 1. Instead, those finishing 5th-8th get no Zetas. You've overpromised and underdelivered.
    Don't worry we've decided to not combine them! These rewards are just for this Grand Arena. More stuff coming here
  • Thank you for clarifying with your reply @CG_SBCrumb.
  • Please...please...PLEASE...use a person's Character GP only to determine the matchups for this upcoming event. It is not fair for someone who focused heavily on ships to have to face someone with a much higher character gp in this character only GA. I was facing 7 other people with 180k gp more in character gp, giving them all 2-3 more squads of characters to pull from. In a 3x3, it'll give a gigantic advantage of squads.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Did they say why it's 3? I mean, "Undersized party" is kind of hard to do with only 3, due to lead skills, full team synergy, etc.
    Phoenix is now useless together, so I'm Annoyed
  • So I posted this a few days ago and of course it got buried and it's a genuine issue.

So my first opponent in the last GA didn't participate in the round, but the second did and despite us having exactly the same Galactic Power, he was so far ahead of me in developed characters it wasn't even funny.

None of my toons are above gear 9, and only two of my toons have one zeta each. My opponent had multiple G12 and 2 Zeta characters. This is absolutely not fair.

Please devs, add something to look for a gear and ability imbalance when matching Galactic Power to prevent these types of mistakes.
  • Must say that I’m not overly keen on the change from using several full teams to fewer spots with only 3v3. One part of GA that was really fun was that it encouraged you to develop several strong teams within various factions as opposed to one super strong meta squad (as in regular arena) or just some strong individual toons like this model seems to promote. The format was good as it was, could just have tweaked matchmaking algorithms and rewards a bit. Ships is getting sidewinded again as well, shame that.
  • onk
    316 posts Member
    Guaranteed win for Revan's guys... thanks CG