Grand Arena GP matching (pretty big issue)

Prev13
First off to the devs, great job so far, wonderful game, but I feel like there’s been a big oversight when it comes to matching opponents in the Grand Arena. I’ve been leveling all of my characters to 50 in case I want to drop mods on them (which I rarely do unless actively farming them). So I have around 40-50 useless characters at LVL 50.

My opponent however has around 40-50 useless characters at level one, giving him a significant advantage when it comes to useful squads over me. The only reason we’re roughly equal in GP is due to my slew of LVL 50 G4 toons who are absolutely unusable.

A complete mismatch. I’m going to get creamed because I wanted to keep my mod options open. It’s not like I was aware this would be a problem a year ago. Is there any talk yet over resolving this issue? I can’t just reset all my scrubs (or believe me I would).

Thanks!!

Replies

• I have the same issue. My opponent and I both have 3.7 million GP (within 300 GP) but he/she has 38 G12 and 25 G11 toons while I have 22 G12 and 30 G11. There is no way we match up in a handful of Arena matches. I beat 2 territories and they wiped out my meager defense. So unless I get lucky and happen to get matched up with someone who has spread out their leveling and modding like I have, I will always be playing for second.

I'm going to give it a couple more rounds and if my experience doesn't change, I will probably just join and let the auto defense fill and collect whatever winnings I happen to get.
  • First off to the devs, great job so far, wonderful game, but I feel like there’s been a big oversight when it comes to matching opponents in the Grand Arena. I’ve been leveling all of my characters to 50 in case I want to drop mods on them (which I rarely do unless actively farming them). So I have around 40-50 useless characters at LVL 50.

My opponent however has around 40-50 useless characters at level one, giving him a significant advantage when it comes to useful squads over me. The only reason we’re roughly equal in GP is due to my slew of LVL 50 G4 toons who are absolutely unusable.

A complete mismatch. I’m going to get creamed because I wanted to keep my mod options open. It’s not like I was aware this would be a problem a year ago. Is there any talk yet over resolving this issue? I can’t just reset all my scrubs (or believe me I would).

Thanks!!

There's bern debate on wheter to do that for years. Mostly due to credits being somewhat scarce.

It is the consensus that it is best to save credits and gear for toons you can use. This has put you at a disadvantage in tw for quite some time for example.

I'm sorry that you have had bad matchups but, I don't think they should change matchmaking to give you an opponent with less gp because you leveled toons you don't use. That would be unfair to them.

• That consensus must have missed me, as I’ve been acting on the advice of a certain “EA Game Changer” when it comes to leveling all your toons to 50.

I’d also add that I do save the overwhelming majority of gear and credits for toons I use, padding the rest to a base level. I understand the concept of reserving resources and what you’re saying (been holding up just fine in the other arenas, raids too), but I’m going to eventually farm most of those toons, and they occasionally catch scraps that fall from on high. Leveling them to hold mods was a mistake based on some bad advice which I won’t be repeating, and there are a few now which I wish I could just delete entirely as owning them has become too counterproductive.

Any TW inconvenience incurred, which I truthfully hadn’t considered until now, pales in comparison to the handicap I’m suddenly working with, so as to be unnoticeable. I appreciate what you’re saying but this issue of GP distribution just became a much bigger issue. Had Grand Arena been around when I started playing I’d have been much, much more careful.

All that being said, it’s too early to tell how all this is going to play out. I actually haven’t lost yet, but I’m really not expecting that to last long. We’ll see.
  • Update: placed 2nd in the first proper GA, being about 10K GP short of a win.

Those 10K GP didn’t matter until now, CG.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    How can you be 10k GP short of a win? Rank 1 requires three wins. Rank 2 requires two wins. You are one win short. Not any amount of GP. GP is the tie breaker among players with same amount of wins only.
  • It’s pretty simple.

I had to use a team which, had they been 10k GP stronger, would have won on offense. Not sure where the confusion is.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    It’s pretty simple.

I had to use a team which, had they been 10k GP stronger, would have won on offense. Not sure where the confusion is.

You were not necessarily 10K GP short. Maybe you could have distributed your GP (gear, ability mats etc.) differently in your roster and won. Or maybe you could have won with 20+ secondary speed on all mods. Or used a different strategy. I find it misleading to claim, that you were 10K GP short. You could have had the exact same GP and still won. It's not as simple as you think.
  • There’s always someone needing to make a case for their own superiority out there, I suppose.

Go back and read the original post about how I would have distributed things differently had Grand Arena been a factor when I started playing, if you find what I’m saying so hard to reconcile with.

• Your assumptions are ambiguous at best,
    There’s always someone needing to make a case for their own superiority out there, I suppose.

Go back and read the original post about how I would have distributed things differently had Grand Arena been a factor when I started playing, if you find what I’m saying so hard to reconcile with.

Resetting your roster wouldn’t help, you still will face someone that has better gear or mods or synergy, 10k GP is meaningless, your issue and hang up on that number leads folks to believe you don’t know what you are really trying to convey.
  • 10K GP, give or take, is what I would have saved had I not been leveling less important toons to 50 and feeding them spare gear. Had I diverted that to squads I’m currently farming, and held off on beefing up currently unusable toons, I’d have won this GA. The assertion that GP distribution was not as much of a game changer until now is a logical one, despite your protestations. I didn’t come here to argue but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t expect it. Oh well.

• You presume too much sir, lol good day.
  • What I'm hearing is, as things are, you were matched in a bracket where you could come in second and very nearly come in first.

That does not sound like you are at an unreasonable disadvantage.

This is direct PvP. Somebody wins and somebody loses. You had a fair shot, but this time, the latter was you.

Immediately turning around and blaming others when things don't go your way is a child's reaction. And we're getting a lot of that around here.

I also upgrade my non-useful heroes to a moderate degree. Specifically, enough to unlock all their abilities and get them to level 3. I also got to the finals of my bracket. I also lost.

This was not because of any artificial GP disparity or matchmaking issues; that part is trivial. It's not because I couldn't magically transform a hundred thousand credits, trash gear, and blue and green ability mats into G12 gear and zetas. It's because my opponent put together better teams than I did and utilized them better than I did, and they earned the win.

Accept defeat with dignity. Learn from it. Do better next time.
    Still not a he.
  • 10K GP, give or take, is what I would have saved had I not been leveling less important toons to 50 and feeding them spare gear. Had I diverted that to squads I’m currently farming, and held off on beefing up currently unusable toons, I’d have won this GA.

I’d have won this particular matchup. To be clear. If I were rid of all this extra baggage and my opponent were someone else who knows what would have happened, but I’m pointing out that the odds would be more in my favor.

It’s not like I haven’t thought this through.

• TVF
    36591 posts Member
    It’s not like I haven’t thought this through.

We hear that a lot here.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Well there it is again. The point is valid.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Well there it is again. The point is valid.

The people who say it always think so.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    What I'm hearing is, as things are, you were matched in a bracket where you could come in second and very nearly come in first.

This is direct PvP. Somebody wins and somebody loses. You had a fair shot, but this time, the latter was you.

Immediately turning around and blaming others when things don't go your way is a child's reaction. And we're getting a lot of that around here.

I also upgrade my non-useful heroes to a moderate degree. Specifically, enough to unlock all their abilities and get them to level 3. I also got to the finals of my bracket. I also lost.

This was not because of any artificial GP disparity or matchmaking issues; that part is trivial. It's not because I couldn't magically transform a hundred thousand credits, trash gear, and blue and green ability mats into G12 gear and zetas. It's because my opponent put together better teams than I did and utilized them better than I did, and they earned the win.

This forum is for feedback, that’s what I did. Feed back.

There’s so much gross negativity to unpack in your post I don’t have the time or inclination. Good luck with life buddy.
  • I will however proffer that you’re wrong. You were put at a disadvantage that didn’t exist previously by wasting resources that didn’t matter much until the advent of Grand Arena. Which contributed to your loss.

Which is my point, which should be inoffensive, but this is the interwebs after all.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I will however proffer that you’re wrong. You were put at a disadvantage that didn’t exist previously by wasting resources that didn’t matter much until the advent of Grand Arena.

Are you claiming that it's not a similar situation in TW? "Interesting".

• Waqui wrote: »
    I will however proffer that you’re wrong. You were put at a disadvantage that didn’t exist previously by wasting resources that didn’t matter much until the advent of Grand Arena.

It's not the same as TW because I don't think toons under 6k GP are taken into account in TW, whereas GA seems to be a straight GP match and you can use any toon regardless of GP.

A few months ago I toyed with the idea of getting most of my useless toons to ~5k GP to help in TB without compromising TW. Glad I didn't do that now.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Maybe if my guild were struggling at all in TW I’d see it differently, but until now I’ve had enough room to comfortably pad out toons for future use. I’m not saying it isn’t similar. I’m saying GA (seems to have) changed the game so that anyone who took that tack is now at a much more distinct disadvantage. I was not expecting to have to go head to head with the advantage based on the order in which the player funneled their resources. Had I been it would have affected my strategy a long time ago.

C’est la vie, now it has.
  • BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited December 2018

It's not the same as TW because I don't think toons under 6k GP are taken into account in TW, whereas GA seems to be a straight GP match and you can use any toon regardless of GP.

This.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

But still:
    Having a lot of 6k-15k toons could put a guild in a higher bracket in TW even if they would not be using those toons. (Yes, they might be used on lower brackets, but hardly in the 160+ million GP bracket). I find that situation quite similar as the one in GA, and I find it "interesting" that Badunk doesn't see this.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I’m not saying it isn’t similar.

You claimed it was a disadvantage, that didn't exist previously (your words), even though it always existed in TW.

• YaeVizsla wrote: »
    What I'm hearing is, as things are, you were matched in a bracket where you could come in second and very nearly come in first.

You make some valid points, however, this is an important discussion. The devs has specifically stated on multiple occasions that players should be rewarded for investing resources into toons. However, in GA, people are being punished for "fluff" GP.
    Seems to me a simple fix would be what they did for TW, matching by average strongest squad power, versus straight GP.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • a disadvantage that didn’t exist previously by wasting resources that didn’t matter much until the advent of Grand Arena.

You can cherry pick my words, but context matters. The resources “didn’t matter much” until now. Grand Arena is similar to TW, but different. It can be two things.

Either you don’t pay attention or you’re just trolling.
  • Or it’s two things.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    a disadvantage that didn’t exist previously by wasting resources that didn’t matter much until the advent of Grand Arena.

You can cherry pick my words, but context matters. The resources “didn’t matter much” until now. Grand Arena is similar to TW, but different. It can be two things.

Either you don’t pay attention or you’re just trolling.

You're discussing the disadvantage of having a lot of characters developed to a mediocre level, where they are of no real use in battles in GA but have a significant contribution to your GP. The exact same disadvantage exists in TW and always did. I'm amazed, that you don't understand that. A guild with many such mediocre can be matched against a guild with no such toons. The guikd could also enter a higher bracket than they woukd have, if they had left all the useless characters at level 1.

Your claim that it's a disadvantage, that didn't exist before, is still false.
  • I understand what you’re saying. What I’m saying is there is a disparity to the disadvantages. There is a distinction if you will. It’s not exactly the same. I even understand that you feel that it is, but I feel you are wrong. So it really should just get left at that.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I understand what you’re saying. What I’m saying is there is a disparity to the disadvantages. There is a distinction if you will. It’s not exactly the same.

Ok, so at least we agree, that it was always a disadvantage in TW, and that your original claim was false. So far so good.