If GA doesn't include ships can match making not include ship GP

Prev1
In season 0, that was 1 round, my opponent had over 50x more g12 characters than I did. His ship GP was over 200k lower than mine and our over all GP was very close. My issue with this is that someone like myself and many others have focused more on ships (zeta materials) than characters for pvp. The characyer arena hasn't been a challenge in a long time but ships has always been very competitive since my ship arena has many with fully maxed fleets. I myself have every ship at 7 stars and most pilots at g12 with 3 pieces.

I am not asking for pilot GP not to count but I am asking for my 1.8 million ship GP not to count when this new GA will only include characters for battle

Replies

• People want to rage about sandbagging - HERE is some sandbagging.

If I have 1.8M in characters and 200k in fleets, I'm 2.0M.
    If I have 1.2M in characters and 800k in fleets, I'm 2.0M.

In GA without ships, it's 1.2 vs 1.8. That's a serious competitive disadvantage.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    People want to rage about sandbagging - HERE is some sandbagging.

In GA without ships, it's 1.2 vs 1.8. That's a serious competitive disadvantage.

It is a disadvantage, but it doesn’t have anything at all to do with sandbagging. People didn’t suddenly drop ship 600k GP to gain an advantage.

I wasn't complaining about sandbagging. I am just hoping the dev's will see this and adjust the match making accordingly. This is an issue for new players, veterans, FTP, and any type of P2P.

Personally I have over 4.5 million GP. AMD my options for character teams is greatly reduced vs someone who has focused just on characters. At my level for ships, I would like to see 2x teams for defense since I am capable of fielding 4x fleets. But if that was a requirement many others would complain because they haven't focused on ships like I have. And when anyone has 200k more ship GP than their opponent it makes a huge difference when ships are hardly used, let alone when they won't be used at all.
  • I agree. A character only GA should only use character GP for matching...
  • Trystan_Spyder
    1300 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Liath wrote: »

It is a disadvantage, but it doesn’t have anything at all to do with sandbagging. People didn’t suddenly drop ship 600k GP to gain an advantage.

No - but it's the same argument people are using about fluff. At least those bench toons could theoretically be improved to usefulness or used in a cleanup effort. Ships aren't even allowed to be used. THAT is wasted GP.
    Good2Noe wrote: »

I wasn't complaining about sandbagging. I am just hoping the dev's will see this and adjust the match making accordingly. This is an issue for new players, veterans, FTP, and any type of P2P.

Personally I have over 4.5 million GP. AMD my options for character teams is greatly reduced vs someone who has focused just on characters. At my level for ships, I would like to see 2x teams for defense since I am capable of fielding 4x fleets. But if that was a requirement many others would complain because they haven't focused on ships like I have. And when anyone has 200k more ship GP than their opponent it makes a huge difference when ships are hardly used, let alone when they won't be used at all.

You're not, and I'm on the same page as you. But a lot of people are (see several threads about it).
  • fleet gp should not be counted if there are no fleet nodes. 100% agree.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

No - but it's the same argument people are using about fluff. At least those bench toons could theoretically be improved to usefulness or used in a cleanup effort. Ships aren't even allowed to be used. THAT is wasted GP.

Yep, and I objected to the use of the word sandbagging in that context too.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited December 2018

It is. I am in a similar position At least with this last GA I had a ship node I could defend and one to shoot for to even the odds. Actually made for an interesting challenge.

Without a ship node I am simply out-matched because I invested in fleet play which I happen to like.

Edit: just to clarify, I am agreeing with the disadvantage part of the post, not the comment on sandbagging.
    Post edited by Rath_Tarr on
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    It is. I am in a similar position At least with this last GA I had a ship node I could defend and one to shoot for to even the odds. Actually made for an interesting challenge.

Without a ship node I am simply out-matched because I invested in fleet play which I happen to like.

Indeed. I was able to set old meta on defense while using my current team on offense. I cleared the opponents fleet in 1 go. He spent all 3 remaining capital ships against my defense and my fleet never even reinforced.
  • I'm kinda curious to see the number of players in the OP''s position. It just seems bizarre to me that someone would invest so heavily into such a small portion of the game. The problem is, at least at 2 million GP, is the vast majority will have 1 decent fleet squad and 1 very mediocre one, so if CG did remove fleet GP then players such as the OP would have a huge advantage.
  • I'm kinda curious to see the number of players in the OP''s position. It just seems bizarre to me that someone would invest so heavily into such a small portion of the game. The problem is, at least at 2 million GP, is the vast majority will have 1 decent fleet squad and 1 very mediocre one, so if CG did remove fleet GP then players such as the OP would have a huge advantage.

it's not a huge advantage. We are talking about when they remove fleet nodes from grand arena, like this next grand arena will. That way only characters to characters are compared for the matchmaking. If it was a typical grand arena I'd agree with you however.

Why? We enjoy it. I like ships. I do well in it and like playing it. For a long time my fleet GP was equal to my character GP. Tie Pilot was my first G12.

And we'd be at a huge disadvantage - at 2.26M GP, 985k of that is fleet. So when GA doesn't have ships, my effective GP is only 1.27M. If you're also at 2.25M, but only have 500k in fleet, we'll get matched but your effective GP is almost 500k higher than mine.
  • Fleet arena, TW, TB, Contraband Cargo, Zeta mat challenges and now GA all require fleet development. It may not be as big a part of the game as squad play but it is hardly niche.

Why? We enjoy it. I like ships. I do well in it and like playing it. For a long time my fleet GP was equal to my character GP. Tie Pilot was my first G12.

And we'd be at a huge disadvantage - at 2.26M GP, 985k of that is fleet. So when GA doesn't have ships, my effective GP is only 1.27M. If you're also at 2.25M, but only have 500k in fleet, we'll get matched but your effective GP is almost 500k higher than mine.

And this is exactly what I am talking about. And for those with lower GP or newer to the game, this makes it even worse for them.

Far as fluff GP, I am not here complaining about that. And my roster has a ton of fluff since I have every character at level 85, gear level 7 or higher, all abilities at level 7 or higher, all ships at 7 stars, and all but 5 characters at 7 stars. That was my choice, and I could choose to invest in them further or not.

But when half the game is not going to be used in GA, then that half of GP shouldn't not be used in calculating. If they ran GA of just ships (would need more commanders before that could happen) I would still say the same thing since my ship roster is more in depth that most at my GP level and it wouldn't be right for me to have that advantage. GA should be about skill, knowledge, and rng, there shouldn't be needless advantages like what is currently happening.
  • You guys gotta stop fussing over GP differences. Someone can have 3mil+ GP but tons of **** chars. His opponent can have the same Character and Fleet GP, but focus on a couple well build squads.. guess who will win.

My main has 3.96m total gp with 1.61m gp in ships.
    Alt has 2.19m total gp and 0.96m gp in ships.

Almost half my gp is in ships. As to why i would invest heavily in it - TW and FA. How is that a bizzare reason? Its an easy 400 crystals a day for me, and my main can field 4 fleets for TW that can actually do something.

Now if u look at my main, someone who just invests in two fleets while pouring the rest into toons could have possibly 600k more toon gp than me. That is a potential 4-6 more g12 squads to choose from. Meanwhile, 600k in fleet gp is just one fleet. I do think there is a valid reason to remove fleet gp from this matchmaking if fleets arent even going to be used at all.
  • Madlax wrote: »
    You guys gotta stop fussing over GP differences. Someone can have 3mil+ GP but tons of **** chars. His opponent can have the same Character and Fleet GP, but focus on a couple well build squads.. guess who will win.

Sure, i can agree with you when both squads and fleets are used. But when fleets aren't even a part of the match, it does not make sense to include fleet GP at all.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Fleet arena, TW, TB, Contraband Cargo, Zeta mat challenges and now GA all require fleet development. It may not be as big a part of the game as squad play but it is hardly niche.
    It makes a pretty big difference at half that and lower. If you invest heavily in fleet then unless your squad roster is hyper-focused, you are.likely going to have to field trash squads somewhere.
  • Good2Noe wrote: »

Having to field two defensive fleets and two offensive fleets is a tall order when there's only four capital ships and 35 personal ships so far. You'd need an entirely new bracket at around 4.8 million + for that to really be feasible.

Even before crystals were introduced to fleet arena it was a big deal to do well since it's the only way to earn currency to buy zetas. Those who built their fleets early have had a steady income ever since giving them an advantage in squad based modes as well. When zetas were introduced it wasn't easy to Solo the Rancor and soloing the tank was a fairy tail. Suddenly those who pulled in enough zetas for (example) Vader's lead and Cody's lead were able to Solo the Rancor reliably and do massive damage to the tank respectively. Those raid rewards add up to better gear and currency to further enhance squads and then it snowballs.
  • ThisYeezy wrote: »
    Good2Noe wrote: »

Having to field two defensive fleets and two offensive fleets is a tall order when there's only four capital ships and 35 personal ships so far. You'd need an entirely new bracket at around 4.8 million + for that to really be feasible.

I am able to field 4 fleets as well and i have to agree with this. It is ridiculous to expect everyone to use all 4 fleets when u really only have 4 options to choose from when it comes to capital ships. One mistake or one bad rng round and u just end up with no options left.
  • With the new GA 3v3 we could have ship dogfights with 2 or 3 ships without capital ships and no reinforcements. Currently those that invested in ships are negatively impacted by EA choices
  • Yeah. Agree this sucks.

I'm at 477k character GP and I'm paired with 687k, 649k, 565k, 631k, 566k, 515k, and a 487k character GP opponent.

This is almost where I'm at. My GP is 2.3 million-ish, but 850k of that is ships.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• DarthSide_158
    20 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    So, here is my group of eight this GA:

Me - 2,003,650 (1,201,906 character GP)
    Player A - 2,005,387 (1,088,422 character GP)
    Player B - 2,004,631 (1,115,541 character GP)
    Player C - 2,004,214 (1,072,844 character GP)
    Player D - 2,003,611 (1,235,795 character GP)
    Player E - 2,003,611 (1,155,652 character GP)
    Player F - 2,003,570 (1,157,504 character GP)
    Player G - 2,003,632 (952,354 character GP, 1,051,278 ship GP)

Mean: 1,122,502.25
    Median: 1,135,596.50

Obviously, Player G is somewhat of an anomaly. Unfortunately got paired with me and I have (+249,552 character GP on him). I think that will be too much to overcome.

I bring this up because I think this is a perfect example where having ship GP > character GP may actually hurt you in a character only GA. Just some food for thought.

• My bracket for the new GA is very tightly matched - 1.457- 1.458 mill GP.

Looks great until you consider our respective character GP:

Me: 693k
    Op1: 916k
    Op2: 816k
    Op3: 892k (12*g12, 13zetas)
    Op4: 763k
    Op5: 890k (7*g12, 13zetas)
    Op6: 765k
    Op7: 810k

So because I invested in fleet play I find myself facing opponents with a 10-32% GP advantage over me.

That would be like my 1.45 mill GP account facing a 1.925 mill GP opponent which would clearly be bad matchmaking.

Now I can probably beat one, maybe even two opponents through skill and strategy but no amount of that can overcome the 30-odd% advantage my post powerful opponents have.

In short the only way I can win my bracket is if my most powerful opponents are no-shows. (Which funnily enough happened in my third fight last time)
  • My total gp is 1.8mil. My character gp is 900k. Theres no reason I should be going against a 1.2mil character gp when there’s such a large portion of opponents at my level. Are we getting a fleet only GA so I can take advantage of all those who ignore theirs???
  • avins
    32 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Once again they feed whales and kraken with better MM.
    Great work, discouraging players to upgrade ships, the most easy way to get 400 cristals/day without spend money. And probably we are near to a new Legendary ship next month.
    It should not sound new to you.
  • StarControl
    68 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    This will be my first ga
    Character gp = 360k
    Ships = 397k

Until very recently the difference was even higher.
    Obviously i wanted to see ships as at my gp level I could be easily overwhelmed.
    But next time ships are in play I will have an advantage.

I inspected my opponents and I feel my roster is solid even though more than 50% are in ships.

Either way I am looking forward and feel my odds are not too bad. I only have 2-3 functional 5 man squads but since it is 3v3 that is enough.

I have 18 7* decently geared (for my gp lvl) toons and that is enough to be competitive. We will see. I don’t have any g12 or zetas.
  • qkjerome
    21 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm kinda curious to see the number of players in the OP''s position. It just seems bizarre to me that someone would invest so heavily into such a small portion of the game. The problem is, at least at 2 million GP, is the vast majority will have 1 decent fleet squad and 1 very mediocre one, so if CG did remove fleet GP then players such as the OP would have a huge advantage.

I am in such position, fleet arena provides a steady crystal income and my guild goes heavy on fleets for TW. To maintain this advantage and remain competitive I have to keep improving pilots and diversify ships. My characters / fleet GP ratio is almost 1 (approx 1.2 mil each).

Needless to say, I am being destroyed in GA even though my character roster is good for its GP.