Marvel's Darth Vader Finale Reveals the Identity of Anakin's Father

WARNING: The following article contains major spoilers for Darth Vader #25 by Charles Soule, Daniele Orlandini, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Dono Sanchez-Almara, Cam Smith, Eric Arciniega, David Curiel and VC’s Joe Caramagna, on sale now.

Replies

• Hmm. As with most mysteries, I think I preferred it when it was left to speculation.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Hmm. As with most mysteries, I think I preferred it when it was left to speculation.

It's old news actually, George Lucas explained he had the script with this in it, edited at the last moment.

• Hmm. As with most mysteries, I think I preferred it when it was left to speculation.

It's old news actually, George Lucas explained he had the script with this in it, edited at the last moment.

Well now you've ruined it for me twice! :D
  • Does the comic explain why Palpatine picked Shmi over another woman to carry Anakin?
  • Does the comic explain why Palpatine picked Shmi over another woman to carry Anakin?

Have not read it so no idea.
  • I really love this issue, especially the revelation about Anakin's father Sheev Palpatine.
    It is confirmed twice in the issue, the first show the impregnated Shmi Skywalker and behind her was the evil Palpatine, while a line states that ''there is no father...unnatural'', which clearly confirms the true father of Vader is Palpatine.

The second one, after Vader slaughtered the Jedi he think has betrayed him by not accepting him to the council and after he says the famous Kylo Ren quote; ''let the past die, kill it if you have to'', he finds out Palpatine and Obi-Wan waits him upstair and hear his future famous quote: ''I am your father'', which confirms that Palpatine is his biological father and Obi-Wan is his 'father' in the ways of Jedi as master and apprentice.

So after all, it is the evil genius Sith Lord Darth Sidious that monitoring Anakin's progress as a slave to a Knight then to a slave of the Dark Side all this time to finally build his Empire

So when Vader and Luke clashed in front him on Death Star II, Palpatine just seeing like his son and grandson competiting to be his apprentice, but later his thoughts are mere dreams when Vader turns to the Light and save his son, a thing that Palpatine can't do, saving his own son.

Overall, it is a great issue, make sure you read it.
  • Wait, so this means luke got his Dad to kill his Grandpa. Lol
  • Might want to rethink your spoiler tag there, @Shadowind_Prime xD
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Meh
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    WARNING: The following article contains major spoilers for Darth Vader #25 by Charles Soule, Daniele Orlandini, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Dono Sanchez-Almara, Cam Smith, Eric Arciniega, David Curiel and VC’s Joe Caramagna, on sale now.

When a plot hole as large as this requires a mere comic book to explain it - the franchise has serious problems.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    None of this really makes sense as Palpatine clearly states the power is that only one has achieved (Plagueis) and he would have to work with Anakin to discover the secrets of that dark power - he was needing Anakin's help and strength in the force to unlock this power so he could prevent his own death making him more powerful.

Clearly Sidious didn't have the knowledge of this power that Plagueis had wielded.

It makes more sense that Plagueis created Anakin as the destroyer - who's creation was linked to a Jedi prophecy. In Anakin's creation in the force both Jedi and Sith were deceived by the force's will to bring balance to both sides.

I think all of this could have been confirmed with Snoke in TLJ, but apparently our "Snoke Theories Suck" according to Johnson who decided no theory was better??? what a troll.

If Snoke was Plagueis - he could have realized that this power was of the force and not truly his own - seeking a higher knowledge of the force beyond the darkside, leading him to fake his death to escape the Sith and branch out on his own, becoming Snoke.

This would also explain his scars, why his music was that of Plagueis in ROTS and why he had a fascination of Darth Vader and wanting Kylo Ren to be like Vader - and why the dark and light within Kylo attracted Snoke as well.

But of course, the fanbase's "Snoke Theory ****", so Snoke was a nobody who could unexplainably fill Palpatine's shoes and why we need a comic book to try to fill in this terrible plot hole.
  • Didn’t Plagueis teach his apprentice all that he knew?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Didn’t Plagueis teach his apprentice all that he knew?

I was wondering if someone would catch that part, lol.

As I stated (if my theory is true) Plagueis realized that this power really wasn't his own, and was actually the will of the force. The force used Plagueis as a vessel to create the Chosen One - therefore he did not truly hold this power, and therefore ultimately did actually teach Sidious all that he knew.

The search for this power so he could truly weild it, is what prompted him to leave the Sith and become Snoke.

I think its a good theory - a lot better than what we get: a throw away character of Snoke and a comic book.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    @DuneSeaFarmer

I am glad that was cut - too much of an ESB parody for my liking.

I still think the Plagueis/Snoke theory is the best as it connects and explains everything in one swoop.

• Boo wrote: »
    @DuneSeaFarmer

I am glad that was cut - too much of an ESB parody for my liking.

I still think the Plagueis/Snoke theory is the best as it connects and explains everything in one swoop.

I'm wondering how long until Disney tries a reboot and starts over. LOL It'll happen, not a case of if, but when.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I doubt it - if they had as much uproar over TLJ and a failed Solo movie, they wouldn't dare try to reboot the whole thing - that would be a cinematic catastrophe and you don't even have to be a fan to see that. The franchise would surely crumble.
  • Boo wrote: »
    I doubt it - if they had as much uproar over TLJ and a failed Solo movie, they wouldn't dare try to reboot the whole thing - that would be a cinematic catastrophe and you don't even have to be a fan to see that. The franchise would surely crumble.

Oh but the movies were fine there were too many too soon, remember? lol
  • Okay, more on the subject-ish.. https://screenrant.com/star-wars-obi-wan-blame-anakin-vader/

"The latest Marvel Star Wars comic, Age of Republic: Obi-Wan Kenobi, has revealed just how Obi-Wan failed Anakin as a master... and unwittingly ensured his student would fall prey to Palpatine's manipulation."
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Okay, more on the subject-ish.. https://screenrant.com/star-wars-obi-wan-blame-anakin-vader/

"The latest Marvel Star Wars comic, Age of Republic: Obi-Wan Kenobi, has revealed just how Obi-Wan failed Anakin as a master... and unwittingly ensured his student would fall prey to Palpatine's manipulation."

Inception 2, starring Ewan McGregor, lol
  • Yup, tune in tomorrow for more of Obi-Wan, Jedi master, or Failed Role Model.. lol
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Boo wrote: »
    When a plot hole as large as this requires a mere comic book to explain it - the franchise has serious problems.
    Its not a plot hole. It was intentionally left blank. Anakin was born without a father, Fin. Honestly, it should've remained like so. The whole "anakin had a father and it was palpatine all along!" shock factor is something that is common in Marvel comics / American superhero comics which is why I am just going to ignore this.

They just like to revisit the same scenario and add microdetails using the same small set of characters that everyone is familiar with

This is the kind of stuff comic books are known for:

"Peter Parker was bitten by a spider"
    10 years later Retcon: "The spider was radioactive by Uncle Ben's vomit who visited the facility earlier in the morning"
    20 years later Retcon: "The spider was actually an old Parker family spider that Peter's grandparents owned and they lost it in the second world war and it found its way to whatever lab peter was in and it purposely bit peter because of familial bonds"
    30 years later retcon: "Peter's great grandfather was a half-human half-spider"

This "surprise"reveal is just extremely uninspired and boring and subtracts from the story. The whole "Palpatine using the Jedi's strongest weapon against them" is now "Yeah this was Palpatine's time bomb and he didn't require effort to manipulate Anakin because he made anakin LOL"
  • EA_Cian
    971 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Hey folks quick reminder, let's please try to keep threads focused on the topic at hand. Obviously, this is a big revelation but this doesn't mean we should also try to make this thread an opportunity to take jabs at current film entries, creative teams behind them, etc. :smile:
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »
    Its not a plot hole. It was intentionally left blank. Anakin was born without a father, Fin. Honestly, it should've remained like so. The whole "anakin had a father and it was palpatine all along!" shock factor is something that is common in Marvel comics / American superhero comics which is why I am just going to ignore this.

They just like to revisit the same scenario and add microdetails using the same small set of characters that everyone is familiar with

This is the kind of stuff comic books are known for:

"Peter Parker was bitten by a spider"
    10 years later Retcon: "The spider was radioactive by Uncle Ben's vomit who visited the facility earlier in the morning"
    20 years later Retcon: "The spider was actually an old Parker family spider that Peter's grandparents owned and they lost it in the second world war and it found its way to whatever lab peter was in and it purposely bit peter because of familial bonds"
    30 years later retcon: "Peter's great grandfather was a half-human half-spider"

This "surprise"reveal is just extremely uninspired and boring and subtracts from the story. The whole "Palpatine using the Jedi's strongest weapon against them" is now "Yeah this was Palpatine's time bomb and he didn't require effort to manipulate Anakin because he made anakin LOL"

Ya - you are right, it didn't need explaining. But the whole mystery surrounding the prophecy and its links to the Sith manipulating the force to create life was a good story wasted all the same. At least a good story surrounding the prophecy could be an interesting future Yoda spin-off (a Star Wars Story) movie, if they run out of ideas making movies we don't actually want (like Solo, lol).

I never knew about all the retcons to Spider-Man's origins, and I am glad I didn't - they all sound to horrible to even try to fathom! Glad they left this out of the current movies.