Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Ultra wrote: »
    I can just use my G8 toons vs their G12 Revan, Traya, Imp troopers, Ewoks, Nighsisters... should work a dream
    Blame yourself not the algorithm. This is a very fair match up. It sucks but there are people that did a better job at managing resources and prioritizing their toons.

Its not the algorithm's fault you can't clear the heroic sith raid. Keep in mind people that are in the same level as you can be way ahead because they focused on getting high scores in raids, hence more gear. Which seems to be the difference here. From the bot stats it seems like a pretty even match.

Using "he has Traya / Revan" is a garbage argument. In lower GP people are going to complain "he has CLS i don't" or "He has JTR and I don't" etc. There are ways to beat them, and its not a good excuse

The entire point of Grand Arena is to face others who used the same amount of resources (see: character GP) with different focus, and to determine the best.

I never said because they had traya/revan it was unfair. I was being flippant because Gannon was suggesting that because you can use G8 toons vs G12 Phasma it'd be the same with G12 Revan, Traya. It clearly isn't.

I'm highlighting that the game mode matches based on total GP, whereas what actually matters for grand arena is your top 60 or so toons. My match up of 58 vs 14 G12 highlights this gulf pretty well. This isn't a fair match. It isn't going to test my opponent. There's virtually no point in me bothering.

Sure, our GP is matched. So what? Victory in this mode relies on your top portion of your toons, not your total GP.

If they are matching on total GP, the game mode should let us actually use the totality of our GP (or at least more of it). Open it up and double the number of nodes. Let me pitch my top 120 toons vs their top 120. It will become a more even contest then.

But then perhaps that would be unfair to those who miraculously "did a better job at managing resources and prioritizing their toons" for a period of months/years before a game mode ever came along where developing a stacked vs balanced roster gave one an advantage over the other?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Gannon wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    Match-making based on total GP does not work.

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

Now, I'm not expecting to win every match but please tell me why I should even bother with this 'match'?

If only the top 60 toons matter, then match based on the top 60 toons of peoples rosters not the full roster.

If you want to match us on full GP, then please give us enough nodes to have to fill so at least I then get to actually use that GP.

I don't see the problem.. Looks like he farmed more speed mods and pushed for those two high value toons.. You have a few more high offense mods..
    Your gp is almost exactly the same, maybe one low junk toon different. Looks like your choices were slightly different, but you're on equal footing.
    Why exactly are you complaining about that?

Beçause the çurrent GP çalçulation refleçts true value of gear tiers, right?

Um, yea it's a point system. He has more g12s, you have more g11s. You likely also have more toons between g8-10. Your character gp is the same, so yes, you're equals. Player's choice of how you used it.

If the gp value was different, I may see why you're complaining..

I'm not talking about g11-12s which are both at a useful state.

Just explain how this table reflects true value of gear tiers. Use any metric you want, perceived usefulness, stat multipliers or the value of gear pieces that goes into each tier.

dbw85jxavvqs.png
  • I know leadership abilities are supposed to persist after death my question is do they persist through multiple battles? For instance 1st battle everyone but the leader survives will the remaining toons benefit from the ability in the battles after that?
  • ColtIce666 wrote: »
    I know leadership abilities are supposed to persist after death my question is do they persist through multiple battles? For instance 1st battle everyone but the leader survives will the remaining toons benefit from the ability in the battles after that?

Good question!
    Inquiring minds need answers!
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

Now, I'm not expecting to win every match but please tell me why I should even bother with this 'match'?

If only the top 60 toons matter, then match based on the top 60 toons of peoples rosters not the full roster.

If you want to match us on full GP, then please give us enough nodes to have to fill so at least I then get to actually use that GP.

I don't see the problem.. Looks like he farmed more speed mods and pushed for those two high value toons.. You have a few more high offense mods..
    Your gp is almost exactly the same, maybe one low junk toon different. Looks like your choices were slightly different, but you're on equal footing.

Um, yea it's a point system. He has more g12s, you have more g11s. You likely also have more toons between g8-10. Your character gp is the same, so yes, you're equals. Player's choice of how you used it.

Just explain how this table reflects true value of gear tiers. Use any metric you want, perceived usefulness, stat multipliers or the value of gear pieces that goes into each tier.

dbw85jxavvqs.png

I was referring to the matchup with ferdlandrossa.
    That's only a portion of the gp process tho. The points shown here are also boosted dramatically by star level, and ability levels and such come into play also.
    I personally find that the gp difference between 11 & 12 is too dramatic, considering the difference is usually pretty small. I have been stopping at g11 for most toons, as they can face most g12s with minimal difficulty, and count as less gp.
    Ultra wrote: »
    I can just use my G8 toons vs their G12 Revan, Traya, Imp troopers, Ewoks, Nighsisters... should work a dream
    Blame yourself not the algorithm. This is a very fair match up. It sucks but there are people that did a better job at managing resources and prioritizing their toons.

Its not the algorithm's fault you can't clear the heroic sith raid. Keep in mind people that are in the same level as you can be way ahead because they focused on getting high scores in raids, hence more gear. Which seems to be the difference here. From the bot stats it seems like a pretty even match.

Using "he has Traya / Revan" is a garbage argument. In lower GP people are going to complain "he has CLS i don't" or "He has JTR and I don't" etc. There are ways to beat them, and its not a good excuse

The entire point of Grand Arena is to face others who used the same amount of resources (see: character GP) with different focus, and to determine the best.

I never said because they had traya/revan it was unfair. I was being flippant because Gannon was suggesting that because you can use G8 toons vs G12 Phasma it'd be the same with G12 Revan, Traya. It clearly isn't.

I'm highlighting that the game mode matches based on total GP, whereas what actually matters for grand arena is your top 60 or so toons. My match up of 58 vs 14 G12 highlights this gulf pretty well. This isn't a fair match. It isn't going to test my opponent. There's virtually no point in me bothering.

Sure, our GP is matched. So what? Victory in this mode relies on your top portion of your toons, not your total GP.

If they are matching on total GP, the game mode should let us actually use the totality of our GP (or at least more of it). Open it up and double the number of nodes. Let me pitch my top 120 toons vs their top 120. It will become a more even contest then.

But then perhaps that would be unfair to those who miraculously "did a better job at managing resources and prioritizing their toons" for a period of months/years before a game mode ever came along where developing a stacked vs balanced roster gave one an advantage over the other?

So you didn't push as many toons to g12 with the same amount of gp.. You still have drastically more g11 toons than your opponent, and likely even more g10s, which are both fully capable of beating g12s (it may be difficult, but that depends on what toons you have).
    In the current 3v3 environment, there are more teams needed, and a step toward opening more of ppls rosters.
    Even if you struggle or can't beat their revan and traya (which isn't actually that hard) that's only two of ten nodes. If you placed good defenses, you can still end up with more banners in the end.

My whole point here is that having more g12 toons Does not equal a win. Other gear tiers can be just as useful in this mode.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    ColtIce666 wrote: »
    I know leadership abilities are supposed to persist after death my question is do they persist through multiple battles? For instance 1st battle everyone but the leader survives will the remaining toons benefit from the ability in the battles after that?

No, if the battle starts with a leader, the lead ability applies. If it was dead at the start of battle, there is ni lead ability.
    It's a legitimate strategy to go in and only kill the leader of certain teams, then attack a second time to mop up the others. It costs you the "first attempt" bonus, but makes some teams much easier to defeat.
  • Gannon wrote: »
    ColtIce666 wrote: »

No, if the battle starts with a leader, the lead ability applies. If it was dead at the start of battle, there is ni lead ability.
    It's a legitimate strategy to go in and only kill the leader of certain teams, then attack a second time to mop up the others. It costs you the "first attempt" bonus, but makes some teams much easier to defeat.

Thank you. That makes sense and what I thought would be the case. Me and a guild mate were talking about so I'll be sure to pass the info along
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

dbw85jxavvqs.png

That's only a portion of the gp process tho. The points shown here are also boosted dramatically by star level, and ability levels and such come into play also.
    I personally find that the gp difference between 11 & 12 is too dramatic, considering the difference is usually pretty small. I have been stopping at g11 for most toons, as they can face most g12s with minimal difficulty, and count as less gp.

I was referring to his çase too. I see this as the çrookedness of GP çalçulation and not the façt that matçhmaking is made on GP. As you said if goes further than in between gp steps of gear, when you çheçk the weighting between different stats the situation beçomes only worse. i.e. ships get double çalçulated with their pilots inflating gp, stars add way too muçh gp çompared to their stat multipliers and çompared to gear tiers. This çan be all resolved with one fell swoop at withstanding GP çalçulation.

• Gannon
    1619 posts Member

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

dbw85jxavvqs.png

I was referring to his çase too. I see this as the çrookedness of GP çalçulation and not the façt that matçhmaking is made on GP. As you said if goes further than in between gp steps of gear, when you çheçk the weighting between different stats the situation beçomes only worse. i.e. ships get double çalçulated with their pilots inflating gp, stars add way too muçh gp çompared to their stat multipliers and çompared to gear tiers. This çan be all resolved with one fell swoop at withstanding GP çalçulation.

I agree that the gp calculation system is not perfect, especially when it comes to stars. But if you screenshot your stats before and after adding a star, you'll see that all the stats jump up for each star. So it's not totally useless, but I don't think it's worth the massive gp spike it currently gets..
    Example:
    szp0gbexg02a.png
    But overall, I don't see much of a problem with the gp calculation process, as every toon is subject to the same calculation.
    things like my vandor chewy will be a strong toon showing as low power, but his personal stats are much lower than they normally would be at 7*. Alternatively, those g7 toons with higher power will have much higher base stats, so it balances out.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

dbw85jxavvqs.png

I agree that the gp calculation system is not perfect, especially when it comes to stars. But if you screenshot your stats before and after adding a star, you'll see that all the stats jump up for each star. So it's not totally useless, but I don't think it's worth the massive gp spike it currently gets..
    Example:
    szp0gbexg02a.png
    But overall, I don't see much of a problem with the gp calculation process, as every toon is subject to the same calculation.
    things like my vandor chewy will be a strong toon showing as low power, but his personal stats are much lower than they normally would be at 7*. Alternatively, those g7 toons with higher power will have much higher base stats, so it balances out.

Hmm what balançes out exaçtly? I would take that çhewie in exçhange for 10 of those toons, wouldn't you?
  • No_Try wrote: »

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

dbw85jxavvqs.png

Example:
    szp0gbexg02a.png

Hmm what balançes out exaçtly? I would take that çhewie in exçhange for 10 of those toons, wouldn't you?

I would
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    edited December 2018

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

dbw85jxavvqs.png

Example:
    szp0gbexg02a.png

Yes, in a 1v1 without mods, chewy would have a distinct advantage. That said, several of those other toons could take him out tho in a 1v1. Probe droid, high potency eeth koth, fast srp, tarkin.. With the higher base stats, mods will have higher effect, and if used properly can make that an easy win.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

dbw85jxavvqs.png

Example:
    szp0gbexg02a.png

Yes, in a 1v1 without mods, chewy would have a distinct advantage. That said, several of those other toons could take him out tho in a 1v1. Probe droid, high potency eeth koth, fast srp, tarkin.. With the higher base stats, mods will have higher effect, and if used properly can make that an easy win.

I'm not talking about a 1 vs 1 matçh, but their ingame usage as it takes plaçe. Çonsider a full team made of toons in a similar state as that çhewie, would any amount of those toons ever beat it? Or are you ever using them in their çurrent state? Why did you build them in the first plaçe; to use as they çurrently are?
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

dbw85jxavvqs.png

Example:
    szp0gbexg02a.png

I'm not talking about a 1 vs 1 matçh, but their ingame usage as it takes plaçe. Çonsider a full team made of toons in a similar state as that çhewie, would any amount of those toons ever beat it? Or are you ever using them in their çurrent state? Why did you build them in the first plaçe; to use as they çurrently are?

Potentially, yes. Most of those 7* toons were farmed for certain things, then my focus shifted to events. But yes, I still use them in the heroic Sith raid, TW, TB, GA etc.
    As I said, yes they have low gear, but they have pretty good stats from being 7*, so mods have more effect on them than they do on that chewy.
    I'd be more likely to use that 7* srp than the g11 chewy, if you ignore their kit and just go from a gear v stars prospective.
    example: without mods that vandor chewy at g11 has 16,432 health. The pathfinder at g8 has 20,114 health. Which would last longer in battle?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

dbw85jxavvqs.png

Example:
    szp0gbexg02a.png

Potentially, yes. Most of those 7* toons were farmed for certain things, then my focus shifted to events. But yes, I still use them in the heroic Sith raid, TW, TB, GA etc.
    As I said, yes they have low gear, but they have pretty good stats from being 7*, so mods have more effect on them than they do on that chewy.
    I'd be more likely to use that 7* srp than the g11 chewy, if you ignore their kit and just go from a gear v stars prospective.
    example: without mods that vandor chewy at g11 has 16,432 health. The pathfinder at g8 has 20,114 health. Which would last longer in battle?

I don't understand why you present a hypothetiçal çase without mods. That would never be the çase in the game unless by mistake. I like pathfinder very muçh as well.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

hx23yj1m28iy.jpg

dbw85jxavvqs.png

Example:
    szp0gbexg02a.png

I don't understand why you present a hypothetiçal çase without mods. That would never be the çase in the game unless by mistake. I like pathfinder very muçh as well.

Lol I say without mods so you can see the difference the stars make in this case. If my mod set adds 10k flat and 20% to health, that pathfinder will get a greater increase from that starting point. chewy won't get as much added cuz his stats/stars are lower.

• TVF
    36528 posts Member
    I know those ç's aren't your fault (or maybe they are? I dunno) but they're driving me çrazy.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    I know those ç's aren't your fault (or maybe they are? I dunno) but they're driving me çrazy.

They are driving me çrazy too!!!! xD Lemme try to fix it, I'm fed up.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

As least we can always tell which comments are yours at a glance lol
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

I aM BaCKKKKKK (this keyboards a is broken :P)
  • Merry Christmas!
    I had a nice Grand Arena Christmas idea...a very merry Revan for all, and to all, a good fight. 😉
  • Anyone else only deploy 2 squads in the front territories when 3 were needed because the main screen only shows 2 circles there? /facepalm
    Not great UI CG. I was in a hurry because of rhe holidays and didn't notice the 2/3 in the corner. :-/
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • TVF
    36528 posts Member
    But.....this was round 2.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • John_Matrix1985
    2276 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I wonder when the leaderboard kick in. I was under the impression that after a few rounds, the winners would eventually get grouped with each other for the chance of better rewards.
  • TVF wrote: »
    But.....this was round 2.

Did the same thing in round 1 and so did my opponent. Won that one. Shrugs
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Sick and tired of getting matched up against people with legendaries I don't even have and can't compete against! Similar line ups my eye, no point in even setting defenses or even competing. Boring, frustrating, waste of my time. No participation from me from now on. ****.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Zyppah wrote: »
    Sick and tired of getting matched up against people with legendaries I don't even have and can't compete against! Similar line ups my eye, no point in even setting defenses or even competing. Boring, frustrating, waste of my time. No participation from me from now on. ****.

Legendaries? How can you not compete against the legendaries? I mean, most people have been whining about the hero's journey and raid toons, which is equally silly.. But still. There are multiple wars to beat any team, you can figure it out.
  • evoluza wrote: »
    Do we have a list of unique buffs that actually count for the grand arena quest?
    Did c3po nothing, ackbar nothing...
    CG_SBCrumb

Pretty sure it needs to be a locked buff like Hatred or Bounty Hunter’s Resolve since unique buffs without a lock like translation and secret intel don’t count.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    Do we have a list of unique buffs that actually count for the grand arena quest?
    Did c3po nothing, ackbar nothing...
    @CG_SBCrumb

Try bastilla with Yoda, was the fastest I've seen. Heard Boba and jango count also, and hermit Yoda.