Galactic Power vs Character Power

My Galactic power is high, but character power low since my ships/characters are about 50% each of my total power. Most opponents in Grand Arena have 60-70% of their total power with their squads, thus making it almost impossible for me to win a match since its almost all about squad power. My squad is about 1.6Mil, most opponents 1.9-2Mil. You need to match character power to make the arena fair.

Replies

• That's... not a very big difference.

The reason you're losing is not the gap in character power. That's especially not a reason for not being able to win a match at all. By 1.6 million character power, you should have something that can punch through some of their teams. And if not, it's not because of the matchmaking.
    Still not a he.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    If 70% of total GP is character GP those players simply developed their roster better for TW/GA. And if they kep both their character GP and ship GP low by not training/promoting/gearing the weaker toons and ships, they developed their roster even better for TW and GA. However, they score less in TBs. Just enjoy your high TB score.

• FirstTooFlyRy is correct: If you developed a lot of ships or characters that don't get used in the match it increases your GP putting you in harder match ups. It is silly to say now after years of playing were this was not an issue, we should now play "more efficiently" and hold off on upgrading anyone we are not planning on using the arena. I upgraded nearly every charter I had to 6000 to play them in in Galactic War....silly me for not realizing that 6 months later my efficient micro managing would come back to hurt me. 4 or 5 of my 6000 point character don't equal 1 gear 13 character. I have 6 gear 13 characters total, with no way to get the raid gear for more....and I keep fighting 20 or more gear 13 characters....ya I can punch through.... one time...maybe two if I stretch it....and I hope they don't attack because they will wipe out everything if I let defense get that weak. The match ups should be based on your top ships and characters equal the the max you can attack and defend with...not based on ALL the characters! And some re balancing of GP score might be needed. A 6000 point character is NOT usually half as strong as a 12,000 point character. Two 6000 point characters CAN NOT on average take out a 12,000 pointer.
  • Not a big difference!? 300-400k gp equals 3-4 gear 12 and zeta'd squads
    In theory.

In practice, it can just as easily be a bunch of level 32 units with their abilities upgraded to level 3 for territory battles. Or middling characters you invested in for a certain job a long time ago that have been left out to pasture.

The person who beat me in the finals for our bracket had a hundred thousand character GP than I do. And by "beat me," I mean soundly whipped me and I didn't stand a chance. Their roster had more coherent meta teams, and I don't have a viable counter to a G12 Traya team. This isn't a bad matchup or a grave injustice. My opponent worked hard, built up good teams, used their roster well, and won their victory fairly. I was soundly and fairly outclassed, and that's okay.
    Still not a he.
  • Just because you're ok with losing doesn't mean the matchmaking cannot be optimized further. If you are soundly beaten by an opponent with 100K more GP than you, then how can someone with 300-400K more GP be not a big difference. By your very own explanation, it created a massive difference in your ability to win or lose.

Just because you FEEL it was fair doesn't MAKE it fair.
  • There was no way for me to know that building quality ships would cause me to be much weaker than my opponents in Grand Arena. To say that because I have 1.6 Million I should be able to punch holes in my opponent-well no kidding. But I can’t win when they generally have 3 to 4 full squads at G12 with zetas more than I do. If you think that’s fair and it’s my fault for not “planning” for something I could in no possible way forsee-then congratulations to you for having the foresight to do such phenomenal planning.
  • Stop crying and upgrade your toons.
  • kalankarr wrote: »
    Just because you're ok with losing doesn't mean the matchmaking cannot be optimized further. If you are soundly beaten by an opponent with 100K more GP than you, then how can someone with 300-400K more GP be not a big difference. By your very own explanation, it created a massive difference in your ability to win or lose.

Just because you FEEL it was fair doesn't MAKE it fair.
    That was 100k character GP less.
    Still not a he.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Not sure what to tell to you. If a GA features only ships or only squads then only that type of GP needs to be considered. But in the current GA you are benefitting from your investment on ships too to a great extent. I won first 2 round solely trumping my opponent in ships (hard to beat endurance on defense, tarkin/thrawn on opponent defense that's a walk in the park for even my secondary fleets)

I think the main problem causing your grief is ship GPs being very bloated. I can't see a justification why their GP should involve character GP folded into it or why a ship should be worth 2.5x a character's GP. Even if pilot GP needs to be included, it should be involved as a low multiplier rather than full extent.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    kalankarr wrote: »
    If you are soundly beaten by an opponent with 100K more GP than you, then how can someone with 300-400K more GP be not a big difference.

I have yet to see any match-up with such a big difference in GP. It seems like we are all matched with players of more or less the same GP.
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Waqui wrote: »
    kalankarr wrote: »
    If you are soundly beaten by an opponent with 100K more GP than you, then how can someone with 300-400K more GP be not a big difference.

I have yet to see any match-up with such a big difference in GP. It seems like we are all matched with players of more or less the same GP.

The OP is talking about 300-400k squad GP difference (not total GP). All of my opponents from each GA have had a 200k or better advantage in squad GP because I am in a similar situation as the OP (45% of my total GP is in ships).