Galactic Power Adjustment

Replies

• No but I think TW does try and do that to an extent (maybe that is just weighted GP somehow fairly bluntly but I think they said more complicated and looking at multiple factors).
  • thomssi wrote: »
    No but I think TW does try and do that to an extent (maybe that is just weighted GP somehow fairly bluntly but I think they said more complicated and looking at multiple factors).

Yeah TW is a different beast, the problem itself is more complicated. I don't understand how frequently people report gross GP mismatches though. It should first match GP, then weight other factors.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »
    I finally managed to put my finger on the what's wrong with the current approach of GP calculation. Level, gear, stars are all either multiplicative or additive to the initial stats of a toon. But GP considers them as completely seperate entities and is only additive. In terms of stats levels and stars scale them together.

It proved more difficult than I thought to come use stats and multipliers as the basis since level adds in a single value for a toon but is different for every toon. Stars modify most of the things as a multiplier but is also different for all toons.

Gear is all over the place in what it modifies. At least it doesn't scale.

jut0v9h3w3ld.png
    gjzdgu5j5lep.png
    9xsxhb6f9v6y.png

I don't think that's right, tat it's only additive at least. That last pic is definitely wrong (the gp anyway), and is proven by the pic above it. Your pilot pictured improved a good bit from stars, but it's not maxed level either.

I just did some testing to figure out:
    Gear adds power and specific stats,
    Abilities add power for each tier completed,
    Stars multiply power and stats,
    level multiply power and stats,
    As far as I can tell, that's what's happening.
    Just went back and tested these four things against their gp and stats, it's pretty easy to reproduce and see how they interact.

• Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    @DarkHelmet1138 we moved that discussion here, to try not to tie up that grand arena channel anymore. I agree with your points tho
  • Gannon wrote: »
    @DarkHelmet1138 we moved that discussion here, to try not to tie up that grand arena channel anymore. I agree with your points tho

ok good to know. Since that was a broad overview post and not specifics then it's probably fine there.
  • Moldrak wrote: »
    Increasing GP on new characters is just penalizing new characters not all of which are particularly awesome. CG wants people to acquire (preferably with money) new characters so there is no way they will implement this.

I would love to see them implement a method for decommissioning a character that is no longer used. For example you could break down gear back to salvage for a small loss. However I also do not see this happening since this is contradictory to their plan for the game.

I think the better method for making GP more fair is to just increase the amount of GP you get from the g11 and g12 gear. A decent g12 can take out a whole squad of g8 characters despite the fact the the squad probably has double the GP. If each piece of g12 gear had its GP value increased 10x you would have a lot fewer imbalances in GA. This would benefit the people with very narrow characters focus by giving them more GP in TB but it will also help separate them from people who have a very broad character base which will make the GA matchups more balanced.

I consistently destroy g12 teams in squad arena with my zader mostly g9 team. Just because they are g12 does not mean they are gods.

GP is still the best measure overall of a team.
  • Moldrak wrote: »
    Increasing GP on new characters is just penalizing new characters not all of which are particularly awesome. CG wants people to acquire (preferably with money) new characters so there is no way they will implement this.

I would love to see them implement a method for decommissioning a character that is no longer used. For example you could break down gear back to salvage for a small loss. However I also do not see this happening since this is contradictory to their plan for the game.

I think the better method for making GP more fair is to just increase the amount of GP you get from the g11 and g12 gear. A decent g12 can take out a whole squad of g8 characters despite the fact the the squad probably has double the GP. If each piece of g12 gear had its GP value increased 10x you would have a lot fewer imbalances in GA. This would benefit the people with very narrow characters focus by giving them more GP in TB but it will also help separate them from people who have a very broad character base which will make the GA matchups more balanced.

The problem with simply increasing the g12 piece weighting is it would create gp mismatches between a g12 with 2 pieces and a g12 with 3 pieces. Currently there is about 600 gp gained by adding a piece of g12. If you multiplied that by 10, then there'd be a 6000 gp difference from one g12 piece. And a single g12 piece is not that much of a step.

Then you'd be matched against players with 10 times the g12 as you if you put. G12 pieces on but they promoted to g12 but didn't put the pieces on. So that wouldn't solve mismatches but likely make them worse.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    DadKev wrote: »
    Moldrak wrote: »

I consistently destroy g12 teams in squad arena with my zader mostly g9 team. Just because they are g12 does not mean they are gods.

GP is still the best measure overall of a team.

Yea it seems to reflect the increase to their stats and their 'completion' at the same time.
    I would like to see an accurate measurement breakdown tho. Cuz I've compared several toons that are progressed equal amounts but in different ways, my go to example is the 7* g8 v the 4* g11, their stats and gp are nearly identical.
    I want to find that crossover point for everything tho. I.e. If abilities are only g3, what would star count need to be for a g12 to equal a g8, etc..
  • The problem with the current GA system is that CG wants us to be "collectors" because they make more money that way, but GA calculating GP to create opponents punishes collectors for having more characters unlocked, 7 star, geared up, etc., vs the person who has like 30 gear 12 characters. I know because I faced someone like that in my last GA. He had twice as many gear 12 characters as me, more zetas, but half his "roster" was level 1 characters that weren't even touched.
  • Whatelse73 wrote: »
    The problem with the current GA system is that CG wants us to be "collectors" because they make more money that way, but GA calculating GP to create opponents punishes collectors for having more characters unlocked, 7 star, geared up, etc., vs the person who has like 30 gear 12 characters. I know because I faced someone like that in my last GA. He had twice as many gear 12 characters as me, more zetas, but half his "roster" was level 1 characters that weren't even touched.

I don't think CG wants you to collect all characters and gear them only to g7. They want you to go big and have a g12 7 star full roster. If you had that you'd be able to win ga.

If you collect and hear everything to g7 and can't use it, that's on you.

There is plenty of incentive to get several teams to g12 that this is not a surprise. For hstr, you need g12 teams to do well and most of those teams are also good in ga. The chewie event and 3PO events required higher gear both on teams that were good in ga. Tb combat has required higher geared teams to complete on the last tier for over a year now. Tw has req good teams (maxed out is better) for nearly a year.

So the writing has been on the wall that to do well endgame, you need a pretty deep roster of g12 teams. If you ignored all that and collected and just geared everything to g7 that's on you.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Gannon wrote: »
    I finally managed to put my finger on the what's wrong with the current approach of GP calculation. Level, gear, stars are all either multiplicative or additive to the initial stats of a toon. But GP considers them as completely seperate entities and is only additive. In terms of stats levels and stars scale them together.

It proved more difficult than I thought to come use stats and multipliers as the basis since level adds in a single value for a toon but is different for every toon. Stars modify most of the things as a multiplier but is also different for all toons.

jut0v9h3w3ld.png
    gjzdgu5j5lep.png
    9xsxhb6f9v6y.png

I don't think that's right, tat it's only additive at least. That last pic is definitely wrong (the gp anyway), and is proven by the pic above it. Your pilot pictured improved a good bit from stars, but it's not maxed level either.

Just went back and tested these four things against their gp and stats, it's pretty easy to reproduce and see how they interact.

What's not right? Modifiers are multipliers, stars are modifiers. Levels add flat values, so additive. Gears can both cause multipliers to some stats, but are generally additive flat values. They all act on stats.

Every one of those are considered seperate and add flat values to GP. By power do you mean GP?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited December 2018

Ok I'm not replying to all those posts. I went to bed and it grew by a page. But I'll put my position as I see it.

So as far as I see the GP calculation. GP added for gear increases as the gear level increases. We determined that g12 adds about 6 times the amount as gear 8 and gear 12 characters have about twice the gp as gear 8 characters.

You think it should be more weighted to gear and be something like 3 times. I get that and you are entitled to your opinion. I think the current weighting for gear is fair enough as is. Difference of opinion. So no point arguing that.

The point I was trying to make is that, yes, they could spend a lot of time and effort revamping the gp or the matchmaking but the added benefit of that likely won't be worth the opportunity cost of more content or qol updates. They only have so much time after all.

I don't think matchmaking is broken. Sure there will be some mismatches. That is bound to happen when every stat is grouped into a number and that number is used for matching. It is based on the millions of different ways that can potentially get the same number. But I think those instances are the exception rather than the rule.

I would say that 95% of players get matched just fine because they have a similar mix between good characters and fluff. Or a close enough ine that the match is at least somewhat competitive. Then there are the extreme cases where a player has a ton of fluff and the opponent has almost none. It is possible that these get matched but since these two extremes are a small fraction of the player base and the odds of those two being matched are pretty low.

Now with weighting gear more, that would probably reduce the gear discrepancies but it would likely increase the star discrepancies, the zeta discrepancies, the mod discrepancies, ect. But you get the idea.

It wouldn't stop complaining about matchmaking is my point. It would just shift it to those that have a lot of gear 12 but neglected zetas or mods.

Also I don't believe perfect matchmaking is desirable. You could make the algorithm consider a number of factors easily enough. GP, number of g12 within 5, number of zetas, number of +15 speed mods, ect. But if you only consider some factors, others still complain about why the one they didn't choose should be included and if you include too many, you have too few similar enough rosters to actually guarantee a match each time. Also matching you against a roster exactly like yours leaves no incentive for improvement. You'll have the same chance of winning no matter what you do to your roster. The current system encourages those with fewer maced out teams to max out their toons to become more competitive.

So basically CG has a choice. They can spend the next year trying to tweak the GP/matchmaking algorithm only to still have complaints about it. Or they can leave it alone and spend that time and effort on other projects. I prefer the 2nd choice.

It's not purely difference of opinion when we are able to talk about numbers and reach a universal approach from there. What to do from there and what's indeed desirable is a difference of opinion.

Here are the figures (discounting g12+ slots because they have specific properties for the sake of brevity)
    G1-8= 1612 GP
    G8-G12 (0) 2556 GP

Where did you get the 6 times? I'll remind my claim. Gear GP step up values are not nearly enough, they should be approx. 3 times where it currently is. If it was 6 times it would be even beyond where I want it to be. Currently it's approx. 1.5 times. What I see as appropriate is 4.5 times. (G1-8 vs G8-12)

Now I haven't gone through what every gear level brings to stats. 3 times the current step up is based on my perceived value determined by intituion. If we agree that stats should be the basis of GP calculation regarding stars/levels/gear we can do that.

No of zetas(fairly assessed currently, omegas aren't) and G12+ slots (to much less effect than their stats impact) and mods (I don't think anything needs to be done on this front besides calculating it with flat values regardless of their speed values, if mods are gonna be made more equal regarding their various stat impacts, that's a seperate issue) are already folded into GP calculation.

I don't care if people continue complaining about something based on subjectivities, I'm complaining about it based on the universal case of how GP gets calculated. Once this is ailed or either CG or people here convinces me GP already reflects the gameplay values it's calculated on I'm done with it for once and all.
  • They could just at the start of GA ask the player which toons they want to use. This way GP is calculated only based on the toons that the player choose to use for GA
  • They could just at the start of GA ask the player which toons they want to use. This way GP is calculated only based on the toons that the player choose to use for GA

Extremely open to exploitation.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    edited December 2018

jut0v9h3w3ld.png
    gjzdgu5j5lep.png
    9xsxhb6f9v6y.png

What's not right? Modifiers are multipliers, stars are modifiers. Levels add flat values, so additive. Gears can both cause multipliers to some stats, but are generally additive flat values. They all act on stats.

Every one of those are considered seperate and add flat values to GP. By power do you mean GP?

Edit: here are the closest maps we have, for reference. I'm gonna math some more now to see what I can learn, but I'm pretty sure the multiplier at the end of the additive parts changes, either with stars or with level, or both. Cuz there's no way that a 6* pilot from your pic isn't higher gp than a 5*.

0knw4lblg79m.jpeg
    fdidj61zka8f.jpeg
    18uwryblcbcw.jpeg
    g5w275qjaj9r.jpeg
    48iamp8u4iwc.jpeg
    Post edited by Gannon on
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

jut0v9h3w3ld.png
    gjzdgu5j5lep.png
    9xsxhb6f9v6y.png

No, I'm saying levels aren't flat values, they're multiplicative like stars, and both work together. So that pic of the 7* g6 or whatever pilot, he's obviously not finished. When you add even one level, you'll see his stats and gp jump more than a 5* toon. I tested this the other day, but it's super easy to replicate.

Edit: on second attempt, seems like levels may be additive with everything else, but star level is the multiplier, so each level goes up more gp on higher star toons.
    I'm honestly not positive why it is the way it is, but it seems like each part of gear is basically 1/6 of the completion to the next tier.

I don't know if the flat values due to levels scale with stars. I just went with what's written in the game that I showed in the **** (2nd one). I can test this, but...I'm sandbagging till eternity now xD.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

jut0v9h3w3ld.png
    gjzdgu5j5lep.png
    9xsxhb6f9v6y.png

No, I'm saying levels aren't flat values, they're multiplicative like stars, and both work together. So that pic of the 7* g6 or whatever pilot, he's obviously not finished. When you add even one level, you'll see his stats and gp jump more than a 5* toon. I tested this the other day, but it's super easy to replicate.

Edit: on second attempt, seems like levels may be additive with everything else, but star level is the multiplier, so each level goes up more gp on higher star toons.
    I'm honestly not positive why it is the way it is, but it seems like each part of gear is basically 1/6 of the completion to the next tier.

I don't know if the flat values due to levels scale with stars. I just went with what's written in the game that I showed in the **** (2nd one). I can test this, but...I'm sandbagging till eternity now xD.

Yea ill keep testing also, and I posted the old gp pics above in that post. But yea, now im hesitant to add anything to any toon that's not going straight to max lol
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

jut0v9h3w3ld.png
    gjzdgu5j5lep.png
    9xsxhb6f9v6y.png

Yea ill keep testing also, and I posted the old gp pics above in that post. But yea, now im hesitant to add anything to any toon that's not going straight to max lol

Oh so you also think current system encourages sandbagging?
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

jut0v9h3w3ld.png
    gjzdgu5j5lep.png
    9xsxhb6f9v6y.png

Oh so you also think current system encourages sandbagging?

I think it's helpful in some cases, like TW and GA, but not always the best way to go. My fluff has been helpful more than detrimental, but I don't have as much as some. I have focused a lot on raid and event teams also, so even my fluff can synergize.

I found a flaw in the gp for levels, upgraded two toons to 82, which on the chart should add 56, but it added 84 instead. So it seems additive for levels, and also worth a lil more than in that chart. Haven't found the multiplier yet tho
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Chart was also wrong on star level gp. Off by over a star. A 1*= 301, 3*= 676, 4*= 1014 is all I can be sure of from my very few uncovered or geared toons
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I believe the multiplier is 1.5.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

It doesn't produce accurate results with that multiplier, it's still way off.
    Doesn't help that gp for level and star count was off either..
  • rascaedus wrote: »
    GP is used to match players in arena shards,

No it is not.
  • GunsAtFour
    364 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    FolsomTony wrote: »
    rascaedus wrote: »
    GP is used to match guilds in territory wars, match players in arena shards, and now matches players through the grand arena.

Old hats, I'm wondering what you think. Newer players need to get off my **** digital lawn.

One small example, is that in less than 12 hours since C3PO was released, there is evidence that he can fit into teams, and beat anyone.
    Yes C3PO is good but not meta changing. Unless your banging on about tank raid but defiantly not a Revan killer.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    np0dj4dhmr7z.png
    In comparing 4 vandor chewies:

7*
    G12
    + Zeta
    = 20268 gp
    STR= 1183
    AGI= 729
    TAC= 636
    Health= 26854

6*
    G8
    = 11179 gp
    STR= 835
    AGI= 551
    TAC= 479
    Health= 17680

7*
    G6
    = 10422 gp
    STR= 827
    AGI= 526
    TAC= 444
    Health= 16686

4*
    G11
    + Zeta
    = 14794 gp
    STR= 749
    AGI= 470
    TAC= 471
    Health= 16432

Take from that what you will.. Lol
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

When I've tried to figure it out in the past it came out to be accurate for me. You'll have to give me a specific example of where it's off to work from.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

When I've tried to figure it out in the past it came out to be accurate for me. You'll have to give me a specific example of where it's off to work from.

See my vandor comparison above, the match doesn't check out for em. Not based on that old chart anyway. And I can provide screenshots of an unleveled 3* & 4* and a lvl82 upgrade, all of the gp upgrades not matching that calculation either
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

See my vandor comparison above, the match doesn't check out for em. Not based on that old chart anyway. And I can provide screenshots of an unleveled 3* & 4* and a lvl82 upgrade, all of the gp upgrades not matching that calculation either

Sorry, I can't figure out what you're saying in that post. I only look at a specific upgrade. E.g. a character is 1*, I promote that character to 2*, that character's GP goes up by 150. That is the type of example I mean.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

Sorry, I can't figure out what you're saying in that post. I only look at a specific upgrade. E.g. a character is 1*, I promote that character to 2*, that character's GP goes up by 150. That is the type of example I mean.

I'm showcasing 4 different vandor chewies from my guild, at their current levels, stars, etc to show the impact of stars v gear.
    I can't reverse engineer the gp tho, from the old calculation chart
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

I'm showcasing 4 different vandor chewies from my guild, at their current levels, stars, etc to show the impact of stars v gear.
    I can't reverse engineer the gp tho, from the old calculation chart

Way too many factors you haven't listed. Ability level for each ability (besides the zetas), character level, star level of mods, plus I believe that since that chart was originally published they added a factor for mod color as well.