GA Opponent Places No Ground Defense And Can Win?!

dummydaddy
2 posts Member
edited December 2018
So, my opponent placed only his fleet for 100 points. I filled up my side like usual. But low and behold, he was mathematically still able to win. He didn't win, but this is a horrible flaw that needs to be addressed. Not only is it against what I interpret to be the "spirit of the game", but it effectively ruins it for the person who actually DOES care about the event. Did I win? Yes, by 4 points. That isn't the point. Grand Arena? Nope. Mediocre Arena? Yep. Discontinued Arena? I certainly hope so. bo6iznc7ors5.jpg
5gkk6qn48rcc.jpg

Replies

• Dave12
    36 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    How does he win? He maxes out at 321 points. You’re guaranteed 460 if you do nothing. I must be missing something. If he placed nobody else how did he defeat your characters?
  • They should randomize teams if the person doesn't set defenses. That being said, GA is my absolute favorite part of the game.
  • Your opponent would not have a possibility to win if you had beaten his fleet. The only reason he was mathematically within range is because you either chose not to attack, or couldn't beat his fleet.

Assuming he used 5-man squads on attack, he could earn:
    6x 60 points for each battle = 360 pts
    Top zone Conquer points = 300 pts
    Bottom zone battle = 64 pts (5 ships total, 2 blanks)
    Bottom zone Conquer points = 155 pts
    For a total of 879 possible points on offense.

Your minimum points for defeating his fleet would be 16 points (3rd win, single ship remaining) plus the 155 points for conquering the zone. There would be no way that he could beat you.

That's why players who set no defenses at all cannot win the round vs an opponent who set defenses - there's too large of a point deficit. In this case you left points on the table, and could have lost as a result.
  • Dave12 wrote: »
    How does he win? He maxes out at 321 points. You’re guaranteed 460 if you do nothing. I must be missing something. If he placed nobody else how did he defeat your characters?

Assuming dummy cant beat the ships, with perfect battles Honz could win by 65 without setting 6 squads... that is a good margin for error and an obviously stacked roster. I'm happy he lost, he deserves it.
  • Yeah... He had a great fleet and 7* HT w/Xanadu off the bench. No way my fleets could touch it.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    It is a valid strategy to beat people too high for you to take on. if your fleet is stronger because that was your focus you put your best Fleet on defence and leave the squad zone empty. He/She thought they were playing smart, playing the way they thought they needed to win. And was a close one too.

Though. Honestly. It is obviously still better to put out defence teams of even lvl 1 star 1 gear 1 characters because even if you solo them with one toon, they would get more banners. In the end just more salt added to the GA salt pile about how much people seem to hate the new mode.

In fact if he had done that you would have lost. lol.

If they do do a auto defence placement again, they should start from the lower end of the GP. Don't skrew over people in case they legit forgot to place defences, and make it easier to complete missions for both sides.

Because placing Defences automatically from GP top down makes you have teams with no leaders or completely useless mixups anyway.

As for me, I wish people would set nothing. I want free wins too. Sif I'd complain about winning for free. lol
  • They need to more points for setting defense or give bonus points for section conquer without attacking. And it’s definitely not a valid strategy,its an attempt to exploit and gain rewards using the least amount effort. While removing the fun from the opponent.
  • If opponent placed 1 garbage team on D, he gets beat and I get the territory conquer bonus.
    Gorem wrote: »

Though. Honestly. It is obviously still better to put out defence teams of even lvl 1 star 1 gear 1 characters because even if you solo them with one toon, they would get more banners. In the end just more salt added to the GA salt pile about how much people seem to hate the new mode.

In fact if he had done that you would have lost.

I do believe he would have lost.

• dummydaddy wrote: »
    If opponent placed 1 garbage team on D, he gets beat and I get the territory conquer bonus.

You *did* get the territory conquer bonus regardless.
  • No defense set by my opponent and not random teams. Horrible GA
    Do or don't there is no try
  • Mef1428
    144 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    They do need to "force" post defense for anyone who joins. Not posting any defense prevents opposing players who want to play from advancing prestige quests.

If they can't do that, then they have to change the scoring and award enough points for setting defense so that this "strategy" can't work.
  • They need to give you max banners for a zone if a person doesn't place defences.
  • Gorem wrote: »

Exactly...it's a bad strategy by the opponent if they wanted to try to win out on ships and just save everything for offense. If you set a team on defense, even a garbage one, you get 90 banners while the opponent cannot get more than 64 banners for beating that defense. The conquer bonus applies either way....so the opponent here lost out on at least 26 banners per squad....they could have won if they had set even 1 defensive team, lol.
    Mef1428 wrote: »
    They do need to "force" post defense for anyone who joins. Not posting any defense prevents opposing players who want to play from advancing prestige quests.
    No defense set by my opponent and not random teams. Horrible GA

I don't know how many more times this can be said, but there was an auto-fill feature for empty defenses...it was bugged and so it got pulled...it will get fixed when they get back from the holidays.
  • The opponent did set a defense: just not a complete defense.

Would it really have been better if your opponent placed 1 level 1 toon in each defense slot other than ships?

Your opponent would have won handily, and put no more effort into placing defenses and you'd still not have gotten progress on most of your quest items - it's hard to resurrect a toon if their defense can't kill you!

If people don't set defenses they lose. If people set some defense, but not a lot, saving their best toons to kick your defenses all over the map, well, that's apparently good strategy.

At some point you have to let people decide what they're going to devote to offense and what to defense. The current arrangement sets a decent balance.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    OP wrong and ppl whining about not setting D are wrong as well and its getting pathetic now the complaints
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Let's just mince words for a minute.

He cannot win. It's yours to win. You could lose. (Meaning your actions carry the decision)

This is possible in almost any situation by you not being able to beat your opponents teams.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    They need to give you max banners for a zone if a person doesn't place defences.

They give you the zone clear bonus. Don't listen to people who say they somehow lose when up against no defences. They have won 100% of the time. Thing is that this person did put a ship defence out, which meant that the OP still had a chance to lose because they could not take the ship. Luckilly for the OP the other guy did not earn enough banners. But if they other guy did put out defence of one lvl 1 in each zone, they would have won, lol.

its always in your incentive in this to put down defence teams, just like in TW. You get more banners for placing a drop then they get for attacking with a tidal wave. Anyone who doesn't put down defence teams is making it harder for them them to win or rather, making it next to impossible for them to win.

Its why as a strategy I never put down all my best stuff on defence. its a terrible idea to put your best on defence. Get good defensive squads that are designed to be defensive squads and save your best for attack.
  • Kyno wrote: »

He cannot win. It's yours to win. You could lose.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, Kyno. These seem to be mutually exclusive statements.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, Kyno. These seem to be mutually exclusive statements.

It's all up to the poster. That's what Kyno is saying.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

There are some mathematical situations where they could place less defenses than a full set, and if they can't be beaten then they could win. Meaning, the player who placed full defenses could lose because of their inability to beat a defensive team. So placing less teams on defense is not giving him a win, but the inability to beat the teams he did set could cause you to lose.
  • DarthDongle
    1 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    My oponent was trying to do the same. He only puted ships counting that I can't beat it and by saveing best squads he wanted to attack my def. He's ally code is [Removed] Please do not name and shame ~Rtas.ky9r92sxedvh.jpg
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • My oponent was trying to do the same. He only puted ships counting that I can't beat it and by saveing best squads he wanted to attack my def. He's ally code i.ky9r92sxedvh.jpg

You should remove the ally code from your post - I think it's against forum guidelines to share others' ally codes. Plus he/she hasn't broken any rules.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    My oponent was trying to do the same. He only puted ships counting that I can't beat it and by saveing best squads he wanted to attack my def. He's ally code is [Removed].ky9r92sxedvh.jpg

Why are you posting his ally code? He's not cheating in any way, it's a semi legitimate strategy. It just puts a lot of pressure on his offensive capabilities. He also could've set a fleet at the beginning of the GA setup phase and then just forgot to place ground defenses.
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on