Territory Wars: Community Style [MEGA]

Replies

• @CG_SBCrumb By reducing the number of usable toons down ~28, does that mean that there will be less defensive teams needed per zone?
  • TW is alrdy the most **** game mode ever with its own RNG onlt to be followed by Solo TW also known as GA. If you keep doing (insert bad word) stuff like this, you will lose all of your old school base. I am || that close.
  • MasterSeedy
    4992 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    @Leytuhas & @NoomiZ ... and @ anyone else who thinks this is terrible:

Are you kidding? This idea rewards investing in lots of diverse toons. Those players who have lots of good toons do better than those who have a few great toons if a couple of those great toons get excluded.

This rewards a different style of play than most play modes. But you get to play Arena every single day. If you like the few-great/meta-toons style of play, you still have Arena literally every freaking day.

I'm of the opinion that more styles of play need to be rewarded. Why? I think it's good business for EA/CG: it increases the fan base if players that prefer a different style of play get their time to shine, get their time to be valuable to their guild.

I'm dependable in my guild, but I don't finish top 3 tank. I have to work my tushy off to finish top 10 Sith (which I usually don't bother to do, because I have a family and other commitments). I also let my kids help me figure out which toons to work on because that creates a little bit of family fun every once in a while even if it means that chasing the meta is a bit harder for me. I've got a much more diverse roster than others in my guild, but I have a ton of g8-g10 toons where others have fewer toons total, but more at g12.

This takes me from dependable, but replaceable/expendable to - if the community vote goes hard against the meta - a key member of the guild.

It also, and I think this is more important than anything, will get people scrambling on guild chat to figure out what the best teams are that we can field without Toon X, Y, or Z.

it gets people talking to each other, maybe collaborating/cooperating a bit more. it gets people figuring out how to use their Sith when Traya is gone or their Resistance with no JTR. In short, the sudden absence of toons is going to have people trying to actively brainstorm new strategies, rather than relying on the same-old-same-old. Creativity! New teams! Trying out that dusty Droid squad! Yes!

The very, very hard part is that a good number of the people who worked hard to get the meta toons will feel cheated. That's sad. I wish that wouldn't happen, but you know that there are enough people investing in the meta that some people are going to feel that way.

But this doesn't make those toons useless. There are all kinds of places to use your meta toons - including in Arena every single day.

This is good for the game, it provides rewards for players who adopt strategies other than chasing the meta, and makes your less valuable guild members more valuable to your cooperative/community success.

Maybe you won't like it. Maybe you'll be one of the folks whose performance in TW drops. But there are a lot of players, and not all of us are meta-or-die. Not all of us are about individual success at the expense of others. Not all of us are only about competition.

This helps provide variety in our experience. It doesn't kill off meta toons. It doesn't make them useless. It just gives other toons - and possibly other players - a chance to come out from under the meta shadow and get their own chance to shine in one single game mode.

Spreading the wealth is a good thing for the 10 million fan player base, even if it's a design choice that doesn't boost your performance specifically.

I personally am on the record on these forums multiple times not advocating against the Arena or the phenomenon of meta toons, but for diversity in play modes. Creativity. Love for all the toons, not just a few.

I would never have predicted this, but I think this is a great experiment.
  • How on Earth did you think that cutting and crippling our favorite game mode is going to help this game or it’s community. When GA was released I was excited at the notion of having GA all the time concurrent with TW only to find out you are taking TW away, ruining it for us and not even supplementing it with constant GA.

I have never thought of quitting, I truly have loved this game, but if this is the future you can count me out, it is a slap in the face for all the work we have done shaping our rosters.
  • Really bad idea. Blocking access to characters doesnt make you enjoy the game more. Giving cool but not OP buffs would have been a much better idea.

I cannt help but notice that no outdated toons have been targeted. so you ban 28 toons that make teams click. Not everyone has a roster capable of taking such a blow
  • Hey you can vote multiple times on this PER BROWSER
    Maybe you want to re configure your poll
  • It's standard banned characters for certain pvp event. The only difference is that the losers of the polls get banned and you have to pick a group of 4 characters.
  • Fantastic idea. Just glad to have some developers trying to keep things fresh.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    SandurzGoH wrote: »
    @CG_SBCrumb By reducing the number of usable toons down ~28, does that mean that there will be less defensive teams needed per zone?

Better question will the gp of the characters be removed for match making ?
  • AceCV
    993 posts Member
    This seems a very bad idea.... will affect other variables in the TW like defensive setups, the matchmaking will be even more unpredictable and this poll is soooooo easily rigged.... let's see how they will roll it but don't look good.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Mixing up TW is cool, but "lol you can't use a bunch of dudes" isn't much of a concept.

The temporary buffs to Mace and CUP were cool because they made lousy characters useful, and made teams viable that otherwise wouldn't be.

This just hamstrings everyone. That's not fun, it's just changing things for the sake of changing things. Also, just because a thing "involves the community" doesn't automatically make it cool and engaging. You're basically asking people to choose which of the characters they invested time and resources in they want to throw out the window for the duration of the event.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• @Leytuhas & @NoomiZ ... and @ anyone else who thinks this is terrible:

Are you kidding? This idea rewards investing in lots of diverse toons. Those players who have lots of good toons do better than those who have a few great toons if a couple of those great toons get excluded.

This rewards a different style of play than most play modes. But you get to play Arena every single day. If you like the few-great/meta-toons style of play, you still have Arena literally every freaking day.

I'm of the opinion that more styles of play need to be rewarded. Why? I think it's good business for EA/CG: it increases the fan base if players that prefer a different style of play get their time to shine, get their time to be valuable to their guild.

I'm dependable in my guild, but I don't finish top 3 tank. I have to work my tushy off to finish top 10 Sith (which I usually don't bother to do, because I have a family and other commitments). I also let my kids help me figure out which toons to work on because that creates a little bit of family fun every once in a while even if it means that chasing the meta is a bit harder for me. I've got a much more diverse roster than others in my guild, but I have a ton of g8-g10 toons where others have fewer toons total, but more at g12.

This takes me from dependable, but replaceable/expendable to - if the community vote goes hard against the meta - a key member of the guild.

It also, and I think this is more important than anything, will get people scrambling on guild chat to figure out what the best teams are that we can field without Toon X, Y, or Z.

it gets people talking to each other, maybe collaborating/cooperating a bit more. it gets people figuring out how to use their Sith when Traya is gone or their Resistance with no JTR. In short, the sudden absence of toons is going to have people trying to actively brainstorm new strategies, rather than relying on the same-old-same-old. Creativity! New teams! Trying out that dusty Droid squad! Yes!

The very, very hard part is that a good number of the people who worked hard to get the meta toons will feel cheated. That's sad. I wish that wouldn't happen, but you know that their are enough people investing in the meta that some people are going to feel that way.

But this doesn't make those toons useless. There are all kinds of places to use your meta toons - including in Arena every single day.

This is good for the game, it provides rewards for players who adopt strategies other than chasing the meta, and makes your less valuable guild members more valuable to your cooperative/community success.

Maybe you won't like it. Maybe you'll be one of the folks whose performance in TW drops. But there are a lot of players, and not all of us are meta-or-die. Not all of us are about individual success at the expense of others. Not all of us are only about competition.

This helps provide variety in our experience. It doesn't kill off meta toons. It doesn't make them useless. It just gives other toons - and possibly other players - a chance to come out from under the meta shadow and get their own chance to shine.

Spreading the wealth is a good thing for the 10 million fan player base, even if it's a design choice that doesn't boost your performance specifically.

I personally am on the record on these forums multiple times not advocating against the Arena or the phenomenon of meta toons, but for diversity in play modes. Creativity. Love for all the toons, not just a few.

I would never have predicted this, but I think this is a great experiment.

What it DOES do - however - is take people who spent money and time to get characters to a certain place (oftentimes specifically for TW) and now they may not be able to use those characters (or those team comps) based on the voting of a small, small percentage of the playerbase.

There will be a ton of people who don't read this forum that have no idea why they can't use a certain toon or not.

Also - this doesn't spread the wealth to most of the playerbase. The only people that benefit from this are people in smaller guilds who happen to have the toons that "make it in" geared up. Most of the people in higher guilds (like a lot of the people complaining) will have those toons geared regardless - so it won't matter.
  • SandurzGoH wrote: »
    @CG_SBCrumb By reducing the number of usable toons down ~28, does that mean that there will be less defensive teams needed per zone?
    The end result of the polls is that 28 characters will not be available for use. anything not being voted on here stays available. the post really should be edited to clearly state this
  • Broxxor wrote: »
    The point about encouraging us to build rosters and invest real money in them - and then create a facet of a game mode to take away those characters is also ill conceived. And somewhat fraudulent imo.

This. I’m a pay to play player and this has me seriously considering turning off the $ faucet. Why would I spend money on characters that may just randomly be banned from my favorite aspect of the game? It’s just as bad for F2P. Spent tons of time farming a character, gearing it, and making a viable team just to have it banned randomly???
  • This is a disrespect.
    You struggle and spend resources to gear and mount a team to help your guild and they dont allowed you use it?
    Nice move CG.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Its an interesting concept really, but doesn't really work in this game that sometimes requires one character to do something. Think of all those leaders in there.

Not having the leader means the ENTIRE squad is pointless. Sometimes not having a support makes the squad useless.

We will be losing access to entire squads just from missing out on one leader. Yet alone 28 potential leaders.

That is peoples entire rosters being excluded. That is why a banning system like this does not work in this game. It could mean people will be able to set nothing.
  • The funny thing is the community - judging just from the first 3 pages is VERY against this idea (with a small handful of outliers who like it) - but THAT voting will be ignored by CG.

Also - I dont believe for a minute that this poll will be legit. Either the characters that aren't going to be in are already set up that way and this is a "poll but not really a poll" or it will be twisted by "fake votes".
  • This is very bad idea. TW is the most fun part of this game and many of us have spent time and money to build rosters to compete. It shouldn't be limited certain toons. Instead, add special benefits to selected toons so people can build up new rosters.
  • Love the idea. So much whine going on. Lighten up people.
  • Fatzke
    705 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    A little bit early, still three months until april...
    Simply don't vote...
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    hbbnhw6ej88w.jpeg

Guys let’s ban these 4 groups of teams. Cant wait for the Tusken / murder bear meta
  • Appreciate the attempt to keep things lively, but not a fan of excluding parts of the roster.
    Loved the thematic buffs from last time, would enjoy seeing more like that but on a single TW basis.
  • How much booze did the devs consume over the holidays?

I didn’t think it was possible for a team to come up with such a dumb idea. Wasn’t there one person in the room with a shred of common sense? I hate everything about this. I didn’t spend the last few years gearing toons to not use them.
    - Dash Rendar 1551
  • Random bonuses: great and really fun

Randomly stealing my characters: infuriating
  • This thread is as confusing as revan's Kit.
    Is it good or bad? We’ll see in three months.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • Tromedlov13
    1559 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Well done!!!

First you take the part of the game that my guildmates and I work on the most and make it a place where you can 'force' us to gear and use a couple of unused toons. It wasn't fun, but we got over it.

Second, you take that game mode away for a month to do your beta testing of GA in production. Okay, we will continue to work on defensive teams and counters, cant wait for the New Year when we get to use all the teams we built up while doing your testing for you.

Third you decide that after we worked on all these toons, you are going to let the community choose 16 toons to be removed and you are going to 'randomly' remove 12 more. Well, thank you, I just got back a couple hours from my month as you not only ruined the game mode, but cut the number of attempts in half so we can have GA events with their rewards which in comparison are worthless.

It will also save me a bunch of crystals, gear, and all other in game currency as I don't need to work on any toons or ships til the next real event comes out. My in-game wallet thanks you
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • I don't know where you saw positive feedback...and what you want to do is probably the worst idea ever...
    If you want to see more people leave the game you probably go in the right direction...
  • So they are trying to make TW less painfull....by making it more painfull. I don't get it. TW is already a horrible mode and now it's horrible with strange twists...
  • Nope, nope, nope.

This just looks really really annoying. Not the way to do this at all imo. Let us vote for teams not core characters. Either that or scrap the idea and think of something else.
  • Worst idea ever. Seems like you’re always trying to find new ways to screw the game...
This discussion has been closed.