What would you pay for?

Prev1
So I know our community is particularly adept at expressing outcry or complaint at the game’s issues or shortcomings. I’m not wagging a finger; I’ve been guilty of it myself.

But it got me thinking this morning about the current business model — coaxing a few bucks here out of players who are impatient or caught with their pants down for an event. And I wondered what I’d pay for if the game ever offered a sort of premium subscription. Not anything exuberant price-wise. Maybe $3-5 a month so I could dismiss it as something no more than an overpriced cup of coffee.

Two features I’d love and pay for — the guild practice arena that’s been asked for numerous times here AND...a replay function where I could view the fights from opponents both in Territory War and Grand Arena.

It’d be wildly entertaining to see exactly how my teams fared defensively — especially in close fights or even blowouts. And backend-wise, it should only require a bit of server space to capture the moves of each turn (and their effects) for our enjoyment.

Like I said, charge me a few bucks a month and I’m a customer. Seems like it’d add a lot of enjoyment for those of us that dedicate a lot of bandwidth to the game without robbing the die hard F2P players of any GOH functionality.

Thoughts? What would YOU pay for?

Replies

• My understanding is that for legal/business reasons (contracts and stuff), GOH cannot have anything that can be construed as a subscription purchase.

However, I am happy to spend money intermittently on crystals and such, but I absolutely can't and never would drop hundreds to finish a character. I'll sometimes buy the 10 dollar shard packs, and sometimes buy crystals. I don't think I'd be willing to pay for feature unlocks.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    I love the idea for watching replays in TW and Grand Arena. It'd be incredibly helpful to strategizing your defense and attacks.

However, making us pay for the replays would be foolish.
  • I would pay $10 to be top 1 in arena
  • Qhue
    31 posts Member
    I used to regularly buy the daily crystal boost that lasted 21 days for $10 and would do so again easily. I haven't spent a dime since it went away.
  • I spent a tenner on Old Ben to get him up to speed for CLS.

That's it.

I wouldn't do it again.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    I do occasionally buy the $10 packs for Marquee characters to 4* them. Did it for Sion, Vandor, Carth, Embo, and a few others. Would do again.

Id like Beckett and Ki-Adi-Mundi, personally.
  • While I realize this game needs money to exist, and have no issues with people having advantages over me because they do, but I for whatever reason just can't bring myself to spend any money. Not that the game doesn't deserve it or because I think they'll give us more free stuff if we do, I just can't bring myself to do it. Even if Revan costed 10$ I would've gone without.

So in short, nothing
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    I'd pay a lot to make all the rules for the forum. :p
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • SmilinStonee
    195 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Its like buying bottled water at Disney, im just not doing it anymore. Once was enough.
    Nice try CG.
  • I think this is a great post/question. The one comment about subscriptions not being allowed seems to ring a bell, but it's too bad if that is the case.

I would also second the person who says they don't want to pay for the gamble, I want to know what I am getting so give me a $200 character rather than make me open packs with terrible odds hoping for a winning ticket.

As for other possibilities, a few that I might pay for are:
    -ability to trade in old gear. If I could pay money to get access to a shop that converts unneeded stuff into useful stuff, I'd be all over that.
    -I might occasionally pay for a "redo" in grand arena. Say I feel like my team got horrible RNG and I really want to give it another shot. I'd totally pay $2 for that. Would have to cap it at 1 redo per event though. Kind of like a mulligan.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I usually grab the marquee packs, and I've snagged a few of the multi-character shard bundles when I needed shards for most or all of the characters. The more my roster develops though, the more crystals just seem like a terrible deal. I get 500 or so most days just by playing normally, and $100 doesn't even buy enough to 7-star one character. Hard pass.

I will say I would consider a pack containing nothing but Mk5 Stun Gun salvage, Mk8 Biotech salvage (gold eyeballs, the piece you don't get from the STR challenge), and Mk3 Carbanti salvage, depending on the price point. Half my roster needs that junk.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• We F2P players stick around only because every in game feature is able to be gathered for free. Just usually a couple months later.

And swgoh need f2f or who would p2p be better than... Eachother? How boring is that.

• i paid a few bucks to finish off vet han. i needed 8 chards er shards, so i bought em. never will again. i feel horrible for it every day i see his useless face. but they still got my cash....boo
  • I am a day 1 player who has never spent a dime of real money on this game. After getting bent over by EA on Madden Mobile, I told myself I'd never spend another dime on a EA product (unless they bring back NCAA FOOTBALL.) The only purchases I've made on this game have been with Google Play credits obtained through Google Opinion Rewards, thus not a penny out of my pocket.

That being said, I would sign up for a 3 to 5 dollar a month subscription if it meant having unlimited energy and unlimited (or up to like 30) hard node attempts.

Other than that, I'll continue being a f2p player. Yeah I don't get special people 1st release. But I still get them. So what I said is the ONLY way I'd sign up for a subscription service to this game.
  • This is a hard question for me to answer, what I’m willing to pay for things in this game and the actual prices that EA/other players are OK with are just so far off. $65 for 3 pieces gear and some currencies...... **** and the character bundles are even worse, $80 for 55 shards and garbage filler items. I’d pay $10-20 on a character to unlock his 7* depending on character but these prices are just so far off from reasonable.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    That being said, I would sign up for a 3 to 5 dollar a month subscription if it meant having unlimited energy and unlimited (or up to like 30) hard node attempts.

Uh, I'd pay 3 bucks a month to get everything in the game too.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• HK22
    645 posts Member
    One of the things that I do not understand about this game is the lack of discounts on products to entice FTP players to spend a few bucks here and there. I came to this game from Star Trek Online and that game and several other mobile games would offer occasional discounts on products in the game, but SWGOH does not. I always thought if they brought back old marquee packs (Nihilus for example) and priced them at $5 that people would buy them. I have bought the two $5 dollar starter packs they dropped and the $7.99 FO starter pack. I would continue to buy little things like that, otherwise it would only be the occasional marquee pack if I actually like the character.
  • I buy the packs when it’s a character I’m into if the pricing warrants. Like, $20 for the Wampa pack was a steal, $5 for Qui-Gon was surprisingly good even though I already had him maxed. Bout the Hounds Tooth pack since I was farming Bossk at the time, too, so it was a good value.

But a recurring subscription? Even a small one? Nope. I’d stop. Not out of any profiund moral outrage or anything, but because if you give me a spending option that makes sense and I can opt out, sure, I’ll spend. But if you force me to, I won’t. Even if it’s just a couple bucks a month, I still would rather voluntarily pay more once or twice a year.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • I know I'm not the only one that maybe geared a character a little too high; being able to revert it back to a lower level/gear lvl for a small fee while receiving all of those gear pieces back would be nice. I know it would cause issues since it would mitigate the gear crunch but hey, that's what I would pay for. :)
  • Gair
    616 posts Member
    Qhue wrote: »
    I used to regularly buy the daily crystal boost that lasted 21 days for $10 and would do so again easily. I haven't spent a dime since it went away.

^ this.
  • Not only am I broke,but I don't trust the RNG for character packs-spend 800 crystals, get 6 Big Z shards. I spent a lot of money at first in this game, thank God you don't need as many shards to star up as you do in MSF, which I enjoy. Holy cow.
  • After the stupidity of this tw change...nothing, ever again.
  • I think it'd be nice if they gave big discounts on old meta. The reason I never recommend this game to anyone is that it takes a year before it gets really fun. There's not much of a slingshot mechanic so there is no way for them to come near catching up, making it pointless to talk to them about joining.
    I would imagine it would make CG more money to offer a cheap slingshot mechanic. This would allow people to invest in the high dollar buys- just imagine if all the new people could have seen benefits from investing 7 star Revan because they had a cheap, decent jedi team.
    And for me, I'll buy stun gun salvage. I've bought a bunch of other things but there's no value. I'm not spending 300 to be meta for 2 months.
  • I would rather put that money towards my mortgage!
  • Jarvind wrote: »
    I usually grab the marquee packs, and I've snagged a few of the multi-character shard bundles when I needed shards for most or all of the characters. The more my roster develops though, the more crystals just seem like a terrible deal. I get 500 or so most days just by playing normally, and $100 doesn't even buy enough to 7-star one character. Hard pass.

I will say I would consider a pack containing nothing but Mk5 Stun Gun salvage, Mk8 Biotech salvage (gold eyeballs, the piece you don't get from the STR challenge), and Mk3 Carbanti salvage, depending on the price point. Half my roster needs that junk.

Yes maybe a pack of gear that isn't a gamble. Just what you really need.
  • After this latest fiasco of taking my invested toons off the table for the next tw , nothing. I will never spend a single dime on this game again , and im seriously mulling a refund request tbh. If your just gonna willy nilly pick and choose which toons i invested in ,that i get to use.
  • If I was paying a subscription I would never spend crystals on a random chance pack again. I would expect a better payout model for arena and fleet so I am guaranteed a top 3 payout each day. Maybe you are rewarded for the highest position you reach a day not at a given top of the hour based on a time zone that you may or may not live in.
    I would expect I can collect all energy and do all daily challenges at once. If I’m paying to play each day, you don’t need me to log in 5 times for a chance at something or having to wake up, leave work to collect energy at odd times. My energy times are at something like 3 PM (work), 8 PM (ok), 11 PM (asleep). My arena is at 8 and fleet is at 9 PM. I leave for work at 0545 and get home around 7 PM. Life of government employment.
    I would not want the pop ups to spend more money on a crystal or pack sale that has picked up since the bronze packs moved to the front of the line up. I don’t know what is beyond it anymore, don’t care, I’m paying a subscription.

• Its like buying bottled water at Disney, im just not doing it anymore. Once was enough.
    Nice try CG.

No it's not. You presumably paid to get into Disney. The appropriate analogy is breaking into Disney world.