Make GW Hard Once Sim Unlocked

Prev1
Galactic War is now a "nothing" aspect of the game, it's a "quick sim and done" button click.

I happen to remember GW back when the last 3 nodes were seriously tough, with some of the best players' arena teams showing up.

Once the sim option has been unlocked for GW, I see no reason to keep the nodes so ridiculously easy. Please make it seriously hard and give us the opportunity to test out new squads and characters on these nodes, at present it serves no purpose whatsoever.

I never thought I'd say this, but I now miss the days when I ran into Skykrak on the final node!

Replies

• Great idea! I second this!!
  • I wouldn't mind seeing this as well. I have some DoT based teams that I want to try out, but arena is all Traya all the time for me so there's no variety of difficult teams to try it on. And I don't want to risk losing a GA battle or making life harder for guildmates in GW trying out a new strategy.

Or at the very least, make it so you can sim through a certain number of battles to get to battles 10-12.
  • Agree
    And.. I am also a fan of Skykrak.
  • Agree
    And.. I am also a fan of Skykrak.

Doesnt seem to be maintaining a perfect roster these days. Wallet must be feeling the pinch :p
  • Roksteady wrote: »
    Or at the very least, make it so you can sim through a certain number of battles to get to battles 10-12.

Sadly, that wouldn't work either. Even the last couple of nodes are painfully easy.

The difficulty would need to be ratcheted back up to max, as it was in the first year of the game (when John Salera famously said that GW was meant to be "hard", and a "war of attrition").
  • Nope. The thing we need is a sandbox mode that would allow us to fight our allies'/guild members' squads to help theory craft and strategize good counters. Considering how intense territory wars and grand arena can be, this would be a for sure hit with the fan base. It would also give us the ability to use any of our toons any time we want for fun.
  • Palanthian wrote: »
    Roksteady wrote: »

Sadly, that wouldn't work either. Even the last couple of nodes are painfully easy.

The difficulty would need to be ratcheted back up to max, as it was in the first year of the game (when John Salera famously said that GW was meant to be "hard", and a "war of attrition").

There's plenty of players out there who would disagree that GW is "painfully easy".
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Palanthian wrote: »
    Roksteady wrote: »

There's plenty of players out there who would disagree that GW is "painfully easy".

In the endgame, it is, and I very specifically suggested unlocking the difficulty ONLY after GW becomes simmable, at which point - what does it matter how hard it is?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    You csn now sim it well before the endgame and even at the endgame it can still be useful for testing/learning new teams so any bump in difficulty should be optional e.g. a checkbox or button which sets hard mode for that GW refresh.
  • I would love to see something like this!
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Yeah. Just make them full of top arena teams. I need to practice beating those teams for Grand Arena and GW provides the level of redo we don't have anywhere else in the game
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    Yeah. Just make them full of top arena teams. I need to practice beating those teams for Grand Arena and GW provides the level of redo we don't have anywhere else in the game

I suspect the Whales wouldn't like that and this is why it wouldn't happen.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nope. The thing we need is a sandbox mode that would allow us to fight our allies'/guild members' squads to help theory craft and strategize good counters. Considering how intense territory wars and grand arena can be, this would be a for sure hit with the fan base. It would also give us the ability to use any of our toons any time we want for fun.

100% agree
    That would be awsome

• 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Lol people just spent months to get the difficulty lowered
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    I'd be into this, but I have a sinking feeling that the result would be accidentally cranking it up for everyone, people who don't have sim unlocked getting completely boned for a few days while they fix it, and the forums being a conflagration of dev hate for the following month.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• I’m running all 12 nodes manually in order to get Boba’s achievement. It would be much more fun against harder competition all the way. As things stand, some nodes are so easy that I literally can’t keep the opponent alive until the first one acts.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • Jarvind wrote: »
    ...and the forums being a conflagration of dev hate for the following month.

So the usual?
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    great idea, op
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Yeah, I like this. It would be a great place to try out squads and stuff, but completely optional so the increased difficulty wouldn't harm anyone.
  • A sandbox would be great. I finally unlocked my 7* chewie and realized I had nowhere to actually try him out...
  • Yeah, I like this. It would be a great place to try out squads and stuff, but completely optional so the increased difficulty wouldn't harm anyone.
    That's what it is now - sim means you don't have to fight it.

I'm just not sure what kind of uber powered teams the OP wants to try that requires FSR level difficulty.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • + 1 to this! If we can’t have a practice mode at least give us this :)
  • I’m running all 12 nodes manually in order to get Boba’s achievement. It would be much more fun against harder competition all the way. As things stand, some nodes are so easy that I literally can’t keep the opponent alive until the first one acts.

I'm using it while i work on greedos contracts. I actually prefer it easier because i can mindlessly complete each wave without dedicating even more time to these stupidly time consuming quests. 500 contract payouts every rank? Sigh.
  • I agree with the topic wholeheartedly.

GW used to be the perfect proving grounds for whatever concoctions our perverted little minds could conjure, and a huge source of creativity and inspiration for the strategist within....

But just like the mod challenges, it was dumbed-down to appeal to "casual" gamers, the undecided voters of the marketplace.

Also, just like the mod challenges, rewards were watered down so severely it feels more like a 2nd grade graduation ceremony or 16th place participation trophy.
    Vega Skyrim
    Officer, knights who say neigh
    Ally#: 361-967-226
  • DuneFlint wrote: »
    I’m running all 12 nodes manually in order to get Boba’s achievement. It would be much more fun against harder competition all the way. As things stand, some nodes are so easy that I literally can’t keep the opponent alive until the first one acts.

I'm using it while i work on greedos contracts. I actually prefer it easier because i can mindlessly complete each wave without dedicating even more time to these stupidly time consuming quests. 500 contract payouts every rank? Sigh.

Greedo’s contract is easy to activate against slow, weak competition, so I understand why you feel that way. To activate Boba’s contract though, the enemy has to get a turn first, so you have to very slowly and deliberately choose the ability that is least likely to accidentally decimate the opposing squad.
    I’m running all 12 nodes manually in order to get Boba’s achievement. It would be much more fun against harder competition all the way. As things stand, some nodes are so easy that I literally can’t keep the opponent alive until the first one acts.

Greedo’s contract is easy to activate against slow, weak competition, so I understand why you feel that way. To activate Boba’s contract though, the enemy has to get a turn first, so you have to very slowly and deliberately choose the ability that is least likely to accidentally decimate the opposing squad.

Boba doesn't have to be lead for the contract to count, just any bh with a contract lead. I'm using bossk lead on all mine because it usually takes at least two hits to kill each toon.
    DuneFlint wrote: »

Boba doesn't have to be lead for the contract to count, just any bh with a contract lead. I'm using bossk lead on all mine because it usually takes at least two hits to kill each toon.

You sure about that? The achievement says “Fulfill Boba Fett’s contract 500 times.”

If it was supposed to work the way you’re describing, it should say “Activate Boba Fett’s payout 500 times.”

Of course it wouldn’t be jaw dropping if the quest description didn’t match the way the game counts it, so you could be totally right. I’ll check it later, and if it works like you’re saying, my life will get much easier.

You sure about that? The achievement says “Fulfill Boba Fett’s contract 500 times.”

If it was supposed to work the way you’re describing, it should say “Activate Boba Fett’s payout 500 times.”

Of course it wouldn’t be jaw dropping if the quest description didn’t match the way the game counts it, so you could be totally right. I’ll check it later, and if it works like you’re saying, my life will get much easier.

Tried it your way and it works. Boba Fett does not need to be leader in order to advance the achievement. I do wish the devs would pay attention to the nomenclature that they introduced. Contract vs. payout is confusing enough without them messing it up too.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »

I suspect the Whales wouldn't like that and this is why it wouldn't happen.

As a whale I’d actually love this kind of testing. If people come up with clever tactics for beating OP meta teams more power to them. I think it’s unlikely since the best recourse for testing at the moment involves burning crystals on refreshes to run trials in arena. Something like a guild sandbox mode would be awesome but I’m not holding out much hope for that or any changes to GW difficulty.

• 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member

Tried it your way and it works. Boba Fett does not need to be leader in order to advance the achievement. I do wish the devs would pay attention to the nomenclature that they introduced. Contract vs. payout is confusing enough without them messing it up too.

All bounty hunter lead contracts,when fulfilled ,active all bounty hunters payouts.