Handicapping the Grand Arena

Snowlock2017
392 posts Member
edited January 2019
Since there doesn't yet seem to be a GA Feedback black hole subforum..

I fought my finale in the GA today for 1st place. I have 2.2 GP. The opponent had 2.4. Okay, fairly close. But while my 2.2 was based on G12 Zeta the likes of my Phoenix team, my Sith without Sion, Imperial Troopers and Bounty Hunters and Bastilla (without hoda), his team was a full on G12 3z Revan Team, a Nightmare Team with Sion, a JTR team, a CLS team with Chewbacca and 3PO, and a NS team. Amongst others (I was stunned not to see Traya).

When you're facing these meta squads in the GA and you don't have them, there should be a point handycap to the under powered player, imo.
Post edited by Snowlock2017 on

Replies

• LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Try playing this game for years and wanting to collect every character and now your GP is 3.8 million yet you dont have Revan or a 7* Traya. All my years of collecting each character backfired when the GA arrived.

My GP means I will face full squads of 7* gear 12 fully zeted characters. Plus Revan and Traya teams. Not to mention ships with BH everywhere. Whales just feast on me.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    My opponent had THIRTY TWO MOAR g12 than me and immortal teams as you can see by his defends. Garbagelfxmgf1efd0f.png

br7jv1tphsi3.png
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    My opponent had THIRTY TWO MOAR g12 than me and immortal teams as you can see by his defends. Garbagelfxmgf1efd0f.png

br7jv1tphsi3.png

You clearly have more time than money
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Try playing this game for years and wanting to collect every character and now your GP is 3.8 million yet you dont have Revan or a 7* Traya. All my years of collecting each character backfired when the GA arrived.

My GP means I will face full squads of 7* gear 12 fully zeted characters. Plus Revan and Traya teams. Not to mention ships with BH everywhere. Whales just feast on me.

I've been playing this game since it came out, ftp and with 3.9M gp. Until now I beat every player I've faced and I don't have revan. That's not a real excuse buddy, unless you tell me you got every character to level 85 and gear 7
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    3pourr2 wrote: »

br7jv1tphsi3.png

You clearly have more time than money

Amen brother
  • They don't get you to spend money by making things fair.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member

br7jv1tphsi3.png

MORE its spelled M O R E
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Since there doesn't yet seem to be a GA Feedback black hole subforum..

I fought my finale in the GA today for 1st place. I have 2.2 GP. The opponent had 2.4. Okay, fairly close. But while my 2.2 was based on G12 Zeta the likes of my Phoenix team, my Sith without Sion, Imperial Troopers and Bounty Hunters and Bastilla (without hoda), his team was a full on G12 3z Revan Team, a Nightmare Team with Sion, a JTR team, a CLS team with Chewbacca and 3PO, and a NS team. Amongst others (I was stunned not to see Traya).

When you're facing these meta squads in the GA and you don't have them, there should be a point handycap to the under powered player, imo.

Why shouldn't the player, who collected and geared strong characters and teams benefit from it? Why should he/she receive a handicap for that achievement, planning, focus and strategy?
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm at the same impass...TW was the latest and greatest game mode..I starting leveling up toons..race to g12...now I have over inflated GP ..and my matching in GA is super heavy one-sided...out of all the arenas I have won 2 individual matches..out of 5-6 rounds..(lost count) it is a game mode that is quickly proving to be unfun.

I don't have a.problem losing a fair match..when it is impossible to rank and no chance of winning it becomes a waste of time.as well as huge drop in morale...makes me question why did I ever put that much money into this game..it made no difference..and any money moving forward will not help, past practice has shown regardless I'm going to be over/out matched and my bank account is bleeding already.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member

br7jv1tphsi3.png

MORE its spelled M O R E

Thank you.

Also see thread title.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Dk_rek wrote: »

br7jv1tphsi3.png

That’s WAAAAAYYYYYYYY better mods than him.
  • TVF wrote: »

br7jv1tphsi3.png

MORE its spelled M O R E

Thank you.

Also see thread title.

What a handy reference
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member

br7jv1tphsi3.png

That’s WAAAAAYYYYYYYY better mods than him.

Wayyyyyyyyyyy.... no

br7jv1tphsi3.png

What point are you trying to prove with 135 battles @Dk_rek ?

You cleared 3 teams, which we might assume used up 15 toons (possibly less) which leaves 144 toons (snooped Swgoh.gg to see how many toons you have).

So it looks as though you’ve tried 2 x 5 man teams against that Revan lineup then sent almost every remaining toon in 1 at a time to get slaughtered.

That’s a sensationalist approach to try and highlight a point that most players around your GP already knew. Revan teams are not immortal - but they can only be beaten by particular combinations. If they fail, you’re not beating it. Especially not sending in your entire roster one at a time.

I don’t have Revan: https://swgoh.gg/p/343174317/ .

I got lucky in my first GA, none of the other 7 in my group had Revan, so I won it. Next time round 4 of them did, I lost in the final. This most recent GA there were 5 revans and I finished with a 2&1 record. One the one occasion I didn’t clear revan with the 2 semi-successful counters I have available, I took out the rest of the teams for practice for future battles. Yeah, I lost, but I got something out of it other than a meaningless stat about attempted battles.

Your approach reminds me of the people who were disenfranchised with TW matchmaking and made their protest by setting rubbish defence, not attacking and collecting second place rewards for no effort. The point I made to those guys time and again is that sooner or later they’ll be matched with a guild that IS considered to be a “fair” match - but they’ll probably still lose because the guild members are not well practiced at winning battles efficiently.

You might get matched against someone with comparable g12 toons and zetas next time. They may well still beat you because they’ve been learning how to beat teams instead of mindlessly sending in one toon at a time flogging a dead horse.

br7jv1tphsi3.png

Apart from the points already raised by others, you didn't have one opponent. You had 7 (or I guess 3 directly). This one is clearly better than you but what about the other 6?
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    They ALL require "investment" (LOL) when the only G12 you have at all are the meta teams. That means you're a new player panic farming as they come up.

At 2.4 million it doesn't require spending any money at all. I have a 2.4 million GP F2P alt with all those characters at 7* except 3P0, who is only 5*. With a few different farming choices in the past I could have had 3P0 at 7* as well. Nothing unusual here.
    To get every meta team of the last year all full zeta, all G12, there is no way you have the TIME it takes to do them ftp.

In your original post, you didn't mention, that all the teams were g12 full zetaed. You didn't even mention wether your opponent had more g12 characters than you or not. You only mention, that he had farmed stronger characters/teams than yourself - which (again) is easily possible without spending (maybe except for Revan) and that his Revan team was g12. I based my comment on the information in your original post.
    There were no top geared Wiggs on his roster, or Chaze, Dooku, or Rex, or anything from a Meta of years past that would indicate a player around long enough to F2P these characters.

My alt doesn't have those geared either (apart from Biggs for his ship). Nothing unusual here. You could easily collect a 2.4 million GP roster without having been around when those were META (well Rex has emerged now and then)

Again:
    Your opponent developed a stronger roster than you did. Why shouldn't he benefit from it? And even if he invested some money for Revan, why shouldn't he benefit and have an advantage?
    Post edited by Waqui on
  • Instead of arguing about whether the original poster’s opponent spent money (if he has Revan, he did), I think most of the thread comments seem to have missed the point. There are almost always going to be players who spend more or have been around longer and have an advantage. But you shouldn’t be seeing this happen all the time in grand arena. I went 2-1 in each of the grand arenas I played, and for each the one I lost was the last one. Now I could complain about there being stronger players I couldn’t beat, or I can choose the perspective that my record shows I’m in the top 25% of players in my GP bracket. There are definitely folks who have better rosters than I do, but I still do pretty good. So I would step back and look at the big picture, instead of getting bogged down in arguing over a single opponent.
  • EA_Lanna
    623 posts EA Community Manager
    Hey folks, we've had to remove some posts that weren't in line with the rules. I'd just ask members to keep in mind that while it's ok to disagree on things, being rude, insults, etc is not and these things take away from the discussion others are trying to have. Please have consideration and let's keep things civil and polite. Thanks.