New Clue!

Replies

• I need to try to catch a few minutes sleep before dinner, y'all, so I'm out. I'll be back for a longer stretch later tonight, and hopefully we can crack some more of this one. Good luck with the project, folks!
  • Think we need another clue from crumb.
  • sigsig wrote: »
    Since crumb has said bacon and more bacon, maybe it's bacon cipher and then bacon acrostics

...That almost gave me a seizure!
  • Myd
    11 posts Member
    Does "get the nod, ace" equal the word TEN?
  • Hey, can someone try turning the text into binary using the Bacon cipher and then using that as some sort of code for a picture or text? (Don't know much about computer codes so no idea what to suggest - ASCII? Pixels of colour like the 3p0 one? Literally no idea but binary is often more used than a and b).

Failing that, could it be used after bacon cipher to translate the text into Morse code? A is dot B is dash?

I'd give it a go but it's late here and I can't be bothered 😆
  • I don't believe the punctuation is to be included. Also there are baconian ciphers that start with BB (see below) so that process of elimination is ruled out. Need the a/b decode. Prob using this cipher:

Letter Code Binary
    A aaaaa 00000
    B aaaab 00001
    C aaaba 00010
    D aaabb 00011
    E aabaa 00100
    F aabab 00101
    G aabba 00110
    H aabbb 00111
    I abaaa 01000
    J abaab 01001
    K ababa 01010
    L ababb 01011
    M abbaa 01100
    N abbab 01101
    O abbba 01110
    P abbbb 01111
    Q baaaa 10000
    R baaab 10001
    S baaba 10010
    T baabb 10011
    U babaa 10100
    V babab 10101
    W babba 10110
    X babbb 10111
    Y bbaaa 11000
    Z bbaab 11001
  • TwiLek wrote: »
    Punctuation that included spaces and line breaks as 'B' yields:
    CQIYRDBBQURABKCIISEDCCCBARQQBQQDKAIQGIEMBEBQEIMEEIMIIRCGEEEIIMAZBRDA

Vigenere decode with key 'SCOUNDRELS4LIFE' gives:
    KOUEEAKXFCSPTFYQGEKQZLYQISFIWMYBWGVNPETUCTTLAQKQKVJREGKHTWZEQKMFOOMW

Vigenere decode with key 'SCOUNDRELSDLIFE' (4=D) gives:
    KOUEEAKXFCOPTFYQGEKQZLYQIOFIWMYBWGVNPETUYTTLAQKQKVJREGKDTWZEQKMFOOMW

Have you tried using scoundrels4life as the passphrase?

Do you mean this method?
    Is Crumb giving a hint with the wordsearch comment? Might work if you laid the plaintext out into a grid of letters using each line as a row.
    For the confirmed Bacon cipher, the issue is differenciating between As and ****. It could be 'scoundrels4life', as in those letters are 1 and the rest are the other. Or 'Beckett' as some think that is refrencing his quote.
    We just need to keep trying random things until one works.
    Btw, great puzzle, keeping us at it for days i expect

@KaseySpacey will you post the Bacon decode with Scoundrels4Life as the key?

Doesn't work :(
    By key you mean "if letter is in key, bacon value = A", right?
    • DIHFLZ?HAU?Z?FHJGYASWTFJJTXDWQQDGCISSKQFXBCDRNDQTOA
    • DIHFM??HAW???FHKG?ATYUFKKUZDYRRDGCITTLRFZBCDSODRUPA
    • ?XY?UGCY?LCGD?YWZH?NJM?WWMI?JPP?Z?XNNVP?I???OS?PMR?
    • ?Z??WGC??MCGD??Y?H?OKN?YYNI?KQQ???ZOOXQ?I???PT?QNS?

• Marmel_Bowz
    2 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Honestly, most of this is over my head, but it’s fun, nonetheless. This is probably nothing, but it’s worth a shot.

http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/baconian.php

Put the blocks made by Pu55yriot in the decoder. Play with the options and it spits out the following for the different options:

Citaae
    Cisaae
    ZO
    XN

Could those be something associated with the word search hint?

My first post, btw!

MTFBWY my friends.

Edit-typo on the results
  • Mythrndiiir
    14 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Bacon’s Dial In Shakespeare: A Compass Clock Cipher (1922) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1166590321/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uutmCb1EVB61V

No idea what this is...
  • I reread it too many times, trying to figure out the constraints in the plaintext to hide the ciphertext for a bacon cipher, and it just started to sound like a really arrogant paragraph to write. You can hide a bacon cipher in anything and he decides to write about making money off the farming grind in this game.
  • Has anyone noted the file name from the Parsec table? Not sure if there's anything there.

30cpt9bpe4ve

It’s pretty similar to my old att WiFi password, but I think that’s probably a dead end

This is a highly underrated comment 🤣
  • Hi all
    I wanted to share with you a though after reading and following this conversation all day.
    What if we have to consider the text nodding? The title is get the nod and as the gif illustrated it, it is a movement of the head from top to bottom. Maybe we should arrange the block vertically somehow. Letters by letters? Words after words?
    What do you think?
  • Update on the dial and parsec table: I just can't find anything that makes any sense.

I'm really not sure why Crumb would include a 2 part dial if we were only supposed to use one (to find the Scounderls4life bit). Maybe it will come in handy later once we've found a solution to the bacon riddle?
  • I assume the word search clue is important somehow
  • I thought arranging the 255 characters in a grid and do a word search, but I'm so tired. And also 255 is not a nice number to make a grid
  • I say
    Millenium Falcon
    A new TB
    And Y wing
  • Come on Star Wars community bring this one home.

Well done CG staff, well done
  • The way sentences are formed stands out to me. It feels similar to Haiku, but it doesn't stick to either 17 on or 14 on.
  • We have a good sized group on Discord working on it if anyone wants to join
    https://discord.gg/nBSPjye
  • I thought arranging the 255 characters in a grid and do a word search, but I'm so tired. And also 255 is not a nice number to make a grid

But 256 is a great grid. Maybe we should try 16x16 with a blank.
  • Actually 255 = 17×15, that's a great grid too.
  • The clue to the cipher must be either the Scoundrels4life or somewhere in the riddle itself. I tried using the letters "Get the Nod Ace" and also "Fail nigh and stem hope" (minus the and) and I almost got cad bane amongst the gibberish lol
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Pu55yRiot wrote: »
    The clue to the cipher must be either the Scoundrels4life or somewhere in the riddle itself. I tried using the letters "Get the Nod Ace" and also "Fail nigh and stem hope" (minus the and) and I almost got cad bane amongst the gibberish lol

Maybe a nod to Cad or his ship being needed for something... *cough* OG Falcon *cough*

Btw, this is the first I’ve posted since I started this thread, and I have to say that I’m impressed. I’m sure there’s more work to do though!
  • Pu55yRiot wrote: »
    The clue to the cipher must be either the Scoundrels4life or somewhere in the riddle itself. I tried using the letters "Get the Nod Ace" and also "Fail nigh and stem hope" (minus the and) and I almost got cad bane amongst the gibberish lol

Could the password/ pwd be dunce ?
  • Two words: Kevin Bacon
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    shawka1 wrote: »
    Two words: Kevin Bacon

Six degrees of separation?
  • I don't know much

But hearing the word bacon makes me think of the rancor eating the Gamorrean Guard.