Grand Arena - BUG - Megathread

Replies

• Swgoh = frustration
    Read too much, you'll get **** (unwarranted nerfs)
    Read too little, you'll get **** (holocircles vs deployable #)

So even though I may not make the same deployment mistake; we can all share in being heated together.
  • When my opponent has 15 more G12 than me, I expect to lose. When he has 27 G12 in attack, getting a higher score than me shouldn’t be difficult. But to show him my score allows hours of planning attack squads to achieve a target
    24 hours to attack was intended to give all players across the planet time to participate. The above advantage could see a move to everyone playing as late as possible. Can you imagine 23 hours of no action at all???
    If EA/CG want to retain some semblance of equity then we should all face the same conditions - ignorance of our opponent’s score
    -
    PS would this have changed the outcome for me? With a dozen points difference, unlikely, but where players are evenly matched, participation time should earn no advantage
  • BanDurr wrote: »
    Anyone else always have to face a player with 20+ more gear 12 characters every single time in the grand arena? It's impossible to win.

Same thing. I'am always the last one in Grand Arena. All players I need to face are always the whales. They have Darth Traya. Alot of ZETA and Gear 12 characters. I was not able to defeat anyone in Grand Arena. It is not fair.
  • When a tie occurs the first deciding factor should be least offense attempts gets the win, this should occur before using GP as the tie breaker deciding factor. The point of the multitude of scoring options is to reward the more efficient offense, so if all of that scoring still results in a tie, especially when both sides clear the whole board, the the fewer offense attempts would indicate a more efficient offense and should therefore be granted the win. If both parties had the same number of offensive attempts, then revert to GP to decide the winner.
  • I have a real question. Why the f$!#@ does anyone care. The rewards for GA are a joke. A hand full of gear, a couple of omegas and some easily farmable slicing material? Just don't finish last and you get basicly the same rewards as the guys dumping hours into it. Sure it is fun to try out different squads that you never get to use anywhere else, but don't waste so much time on it. It's not worth the effort.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Krashxxxx wrote: »
    I have a real question. Why the f$!#@ does anyone care. The rewards for GA are a joke. A hand full of gear, a couple of omegas and some easily farmable slicing material? Just don't finish last and you get basicly the same rewards as the guys dumping hours into it. Sure it is fun to try out different squads that you never get to use anywhere else, but don't waste so much time on it. It's not worth the effort.

You know this is a bug thread right?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but it feels like it to me. The current GA ended just now (Jan 4th). The rankings seem totally off. 159-633-661.

I won the first and second matchups. I lost the final matchup. My final ranking was 4th place?? To make it worse the people who finished 2nd and 3rd were the two people I beat! How can they rank higher than me? It was my impression the two players with 2 wins were fighting in the final battle for 1st and 2nd. Even if that is not true what was used to rank everyone below 1st place?
  • excelzero wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but it feels like it to me. The current GA ended just now (Jan 4th). The rankings seem totally off. 159-633-661.

I won the first and second matchups. I lost the final matchup. My final ranking was 4th place?? To make it worse the people who finished 2nd and 3rd were the two people I beat! How can they rank higher than me? It was my impression the two players with 2 wins were fighting in the final battle for 1st and 2nd. Even if that is not true what was used to rank everyone below 1st place?
    The rank is irrelevant. The reward bracket is all that matters. Finishing second, third, and fourth are the exact same thing; won two, lost one. Doesn't matter when.

The game is not saying you did worse. It's just arbitrary placement that nets you the same prize.

#1, #2-4, #4-7, then #8 all get the same prizes within their respective sets.
    Still not a he.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    excelzero wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but it feels like it to me. The current GA ended just now (Jan 4th). The rankings seem totally off. 159-633-661.

The rank is irrelevant. The reward bracket is all that matters. Finishing second, third, and fourth are the exact same thing; won two, lost one. Doesn't matter when.

The game is not saying you did worse. It's just arbitrary placement that nets you the same prize.

Thanks, Yae Vizsla. That answered a question I was going to post too. So essentially, ‘ranking’ #3 doesn’t necessarily mean you were 3rd. Cheers for that!
  • Didn't receive Grand Arena rewards, almost 90 minutes after it ended. What's the issue?
  • BiggyFett wrote: »
    Didn't receive Grand Arena rewards, almost 90 minutes after it ended. What's the issue?

Force restart, you’ll get them

• YaeVizsla wrote: »

I definitely agree it doesn’t matter as far as rewards are concerned.

However it does matter when they have positioned the feature as a competitive arena. If I take the time to really compete I don’t want my efforts to be arbitrarily ranked into prize brackets. Believe it or not I’m not doing it just for item rewards. There’s a big difference between 2nd and 4th competitively. If it truly is supposed to be competitive play where you can feel like you are earning a ranking I hope it isn’t incorrectly calculating rank because of a bug.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    excelzero wrote: »
    YaeVizsla wrote: »

However it does matter when they have positioned the feature as a competitive arena. If I take the time to really compete I don’t want my efforts to be arbitrarily ranked into prize brackets. Believe it or not I’m not doing it just for item rewards. There’s a big difference between 2nd and 4th competitively. If it truly is supposed to be competitive play where you can feel like you are earning a ranking I hope it isn’t incorrectly calculating rank because of a bug.

It's not incorrect because it's not a seeded bracket tournament. The fact that you lost to the winner in the 3rd round doesn't make you any better than the guy that lost to the winner in the 1st round.

No. No, there is not a difference. 2nd place does not do anything that 4th place does not. The rankings a tool for sorting you into your reward slots. They do that successfully. No bug. Your competitive achievement is not that placement. It's your win record. If you won two and lost won, that's your competitive achievement. Whether it puts you at 2 or 3 or 4 on the list as a result affects nothing.
    Still not a he.
  • Thysk
    85 posts Member
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but automatic redeployment of a Fleet does not work correctly if the opponent had attacked and defeated some ships but did not defeat the team.

Steps:
    1: Set a team in round 1.
    2: Opponent attacks and takes out some of the starting ships. Let's say 2 go down. There may be certain triggers here, I'm not sure.
    3. Next round, let the system auto deploy for you
    4. Result: The ships that were defeated aren't deployed in the starting 3 ships.

Could be if the score 2-1 or 1-2 are the same it could possibly add up all the points you got in the 3 rounds and place 2nd 3rd 4th based on the point won through the matches but not sure
  • Any ideas on proper grouping?
    My first thought is to use a basic array 0-100 (101 variables) equal to # of toons at each gear % (0=locked toons, 100=g12+max)

Basically group those who have max teams and 30+ lvl1 no gear toons together, which we all know are overpowered for their bracket.

I'm welcome to any other ideas... except basic gp groups... that's not very welcome

Could be if the score 2-1 or 1-2 are the same it could possibly add up all the points you got in the 3 rounds and place 2nd 3rd 4th based on the point won through the matches but not sure
    Whatever it is (and I think there’s plenty evidence that it’s GP at lock that sorts it), it is irrelevant.

If swgoh player A feels like he should be ranked above players B and C because he lost in the final to the eventual winner whereas they lost in rd1 and rd2, the thing that needs fixed there is player A’s understanding.

So u won the 7th (by roster strength) and 8th placed players in round 1 and 2 and then u lost in round 3 to the eventual winner, but u are better than the other 2 in the same prize bracket as you who lost to the eventual winner in rounds 1 and 2, but beat the 5th and 6th (both by roster strength) players?
  • When a tie occurs the first deciding factor should be least offense attempts gets the win, this should occur before using GP as the tie breaker deciding factor. The point of the multitude of scoring options is to reward the more efficient offense, so if all of that scoring still results in a tie, especially when both sides clear the whole board, the the fewer offense attempts would indicate a more efficient offense and should therefore be granted the win. If both parties had the same number of offensive attempts, then revert to GP to decide the winner.

At high gp tiers likelihood is everyone takes 1 attempt only and ties out.
  • Dear devs @CG_SBCrumb I haven’t received rewards for yhe last grand arena. Didn’t know where else to report. Thank you in advance please help me.
    Game name: Illanous
    Ally code: 792-154-193
  • So u won the 7th (by roster strength) and 8th placed players in round 1 and 2 and then u lost in round 3 to the eventual winner, but u are better than the other 2 in the same prize bracket as you who lost to the eventual winner in rounds 1 and 2, but beat the 5th and 6th (both by roster strength) players?

No.

My original assumption based on how my GA's have gone is that they were a seeded bracket tournament. That I see now is untrue. If it was a seeded bracket then it would have been true that the two players with 2-0 records would be playing for 1st and 2nd in the last match.

Regardless it is still unclear how players are ranked with the same win:lose ratios. Is it based on performance, IE banners earned (vs lost maybe), or simply overall GP at the lock, or something more complicated? Only the developers know, everything else is a guess based on evidence gathered.
    CG_Carrie wrote: »
    At the beginning of the Grand Arena Event, you’ll be matched with 7 other players from across the game who have a Galactic Power score very similar to your own. In the first round, you’ll be matched up against a random player from your group to essentially fight a mini-Territory War.

For these first GA's I've been looking all players in my event up online to see their estimated GP and toons (G12's, zetas, etc.) It looks to me like the initial rankings before the event starts is ranked by GP. I was ranked #8 at start which seemed to track I had a smaller GP.

The frist match as CG_Carrie mentioned in the announcement is random. I got matched against the #4 player. They had many more G12's and zetas, it was a hard fight but I won 1300-850 ish approximately. The second match I was pitted against the original ranked #2 player. I again was successful this time with a score of 1100-950 ish approximately again versus difficult teams. All 3 players I faced used the strategy of putting their absolute best teams on defense. I know this because I looked their rosters up online. The final round I faced the original #1 ranked player. I lost with the score being 800-950.

So how did #2,#3, #4 get ranked? (And #5,#6,#7) It may be it was based on GP at lock that seems to track with the original rankings. It could be based on banners, I can't tell because I don't know how they scored in their other battles, they could have crushed their foes 1400-640. It's probably looking less like any bug came into play and more simply we don't know the exact details.

So thanks to everyone who thought I was an entitled whiner who didn't know how to play.

I hope the more empathetic of people can understand the feeling of being the lowest ranked/GP player, with far less G12's and zetas, being paired against and defeating the top ranked players was hard fought. Maybe I didn't deserve rank #2. However I would like to know for future GA's how things are actually ranked because it can help form strategy in future even if it doesn't influence rewards.
    So u won the 7th (by roster strength) and 8th placed players in round 1 and 2 and then u lost in round 3 to the eventual winner, but u are better than the other 2 in the same prize bracket as you who lost to the eventual winner in rounds 1 and 2, but beat the 5th and 6th (both by roster strength) players?

No.

My original assumption based on how my GA's have gone is that they were a seeded bracket tournament. That I see now is untrue. If it was a seeded bracket then it would have been true that the two players with 2-0 records would be playing for 1st and 2nd in the last match.

Regardless it is still unclear how players are ranked with the same win:lose ratios. Is it based on performance, IE banners earned (vs lost maybe), or simply overall GP at the lock, or something more complicated? Only the developers know, everything else is a guess based on evidence gathered.
    CG_Carrie wrote: »
    At the beginning of the Grand Arena Event, you’ll be matched with 7 other players from across the game who have a Galactic Power score very similar to your own. In the first round, you’ll be matched up against a random player from your group to essentially fight a mini-Territory War.

For these first GA's I've been looking all players in my event up online to see their estimated GP and toons (G12's, zetas, etc.) It looks to me like the initial rankings before the event starts is ranked by GP. I was ranked #8 at start which seemed to track I had a smaller GP.

The frist match as CG_Carrie mentioned in the announcement is random. I got matched against the #4 player. They had many more G12's and zetas, it was a hard fight but I won 1300-850 ish approximately. The second match I was pitted against the original ranked #2 player. I again was successful this time with a score of 1100-950 ish approximately again versus difficult teams. All 3 players I faced used the strategy of putting their absolute best teams on defense. I know this because I looked their rosters up online. The final round I faced the original #1 ranked player. I lost with the score being 800-950.

So how did #2,#3, #4 get ranked? (And #5,#6,#7) It may be it was based on GP at lock that seems to track with the original rankings. It could be based on banners, I can't tell because I don't know how they scored in their other battles, they could have crushed their foes 1400-640. It's probably looking less like any bug came into play and more simply we don't know the exact details.

So thanks to everyone who thought I was an entitled whiner who didn't know how to play.

I hope the more empathetic of people can understand the feeling of being the lowest ranked/GP player, with far less G12's and zetas, being paired against and defeating the top ranked players was hard fought. Maybe I didn't deserve rank #2. However I would like to know for future GA's how things are actually ranked because it can help form strategy in future even if it doesn't influence rewards.

Why on earth do you want to know how to be given one meaningless rank over another?

• Hi, I wanted to check if this was a bug before I report it. this involves fleet battles in GA. A couple of times, I've done a first attempt, eliminated a ship or two while the other capital ship calls 2-3 reinforcements. When I enter again for a second attempt, regardless of how many ships were called in for reinforcements, it starts with three in the battle, and so some ships are being called as reinforcements multiple times over multiple attempts.

I've never had to make multiple attempts in TW, so I don't know if it has a similar mechanic.

Game name: Comet19

Ally Code: 146-628-351
  • NicWester wrote: »
    ShortShaft wrote: »
    14 teams of 5? SOOOOOOOOO DUMB

The whole GA is dumb. Least favourite event ever, it’s slow and drags on for days. Match ups should be based on 80% of your best toons and ignore the dross. But most of all it’s just boring.

While I do agree with you that they may be too drawn out, that is about your only valid complaint. If you had built your roster differently you wouldn't be mad at the current matchmaking and would probably enjoy it more. Also, I like the extremely vague solution your provided as well. 80% of your best toons? how would that algorithm work? Think before you post...

This would be a more valid argument if you didn't immediately precede it by saying you're loving being mismatched against people who can't possibly beat you. You're also overlooking all the people who are complaining that their opponent doesn't set any defense, which they do because they can't possibly win against such a mismatched team. So there ARE people like you who are mad at the current matchmaking and aren't enjoying it.

And, frankly, it's easy to refine the matchmaking algorithm the way the person you're dismissing so snootily suggests. Only count the GP of the 75, 80, however-many-needed, highest powered characters on a player's roster.

And cut out that "fix your roster" bullcorn. We can't fix our roster. There's no way of ungearing, de-leveling, and removing ability levels for characters. We built our rosters to help our guild with territory wars and battles and now we're being punished for it. So knock it off with the "Well *I*'m doing fine" nonsense that's predicated on selfishness anyway.

Another person complaining because they have a roster made up of a bunch of g8 characters and are mad at their own decision to mindlessly upgrade things.... CG is not trying to punish anyone here, simply put there is no way they are going to please everyone in this game. No matter what argument you make about how this is unfair there is an opposite viewpoint, so sorry that you got the short end of the stick on this one.

Also, Taking the GP of your top 80 characters will not solve your problems. You will still face people with more G12/zetas/and even meta characters than you have and you will lose. Then, your next argument will be that they should match people based the actual characters they have like people with Revan should only be matched against others with Revan... Think about all these arguments and how valid they really are or how the proposed solutions would work. Start progressing through what would happen if these suggested solutions were actually implemented. Then, if you really have a valid one that has no downside for anyone in this game I'm sure CG would love to hear it.

Lastly, you are right that my comments are, in part, predicated on selfishness. I am undefeated in GA so of course I am happy. I say "in part" because I haven't read a suggested change to GA yet that would really hurt me. My team is lean and I spend money so of course I am going to beat those who are f2p. I really hope that you aren't naive enough to think that CG wouldn't come out with a game mode that didn't reward spending. Regardless, you should watch who you are calling out for being selfish because in reality, pretty much every "suggestion" on how to fix this and every argument people are making is predicated on selfishness.
  • The Grand Arena is a bug, 7 days is to long it should be 12hrs per section not 24. change this please
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »
    ShortShaft wrote: »
    14 teams of 5? SOOOOOOOOO DUMB

The whole GA is dumb. Least favourite event ever, it’s slow and drags on for days. Match ups should be based on 80% of your best toons and ignore the dross. But most of all it’s just boring.

While I do agree with you that they may be too drawn out, that is about your only valid complaint. If you had built your roster differently you wouldn't be mad at the current matchmaking and would probably enjoy it more. Also, I like the extremely vague solution your provided as well. 80% of your best toons? how would that algorithm work? Think before you post...

This would be a more valid argument if you didn't immediately precede it by saying you're loving being mismatched against people who can't possibly beat you. You're also overlooking all the people who are complaining that their opponent doesn't set any defense, which they do because they can't possibly win against such a mismatched team. So there ARE people like you who are mad at the current matchmaking and aren't enjoying it.

And, frankly, it's easy to refine the matchmaking algorithm the way the person you're dismissing so snootily suggests. Only count the GP of the 75, 80, however-many-needed, highest powered characters on a player's roster.

And cut out that "fix your roster" bullcorn. We can't fix our roster. There's no way of ungearing, de-leveling, and removing ability levels for characters. We built our rosters to help our guild with territory wars and battles and now we're being punished for it. So knock it off with the "Well *I*'m doing fine" nonsense that's predicated on selfishness anyway.

Another person complaining because they have a roster made up of a bunch of g8 characters and are mad at their own decision to mindlessly upgrade things.... CG is not trying to punish anyone here, simply put there is no way they are going to please everyone in this game. No matter what argument you make about how this is unfair there is an opposite viewpoint, so sorry that you got the short end of the stick on this one.

Also, Taking the GP of your top 80 characters will not solve your problems. You will still face people with more G12/zetas/and even meta characters than you have and you will lose. Then, your next argument will be that they should match people based the actual characters they have like people with Revan should only be matched against others with Revan... Think about all these arguments and how valid they really are or how the proposed solutions would work. Start progressing through what would happen if these suggested solutions were actually implemented. Then, if you really have a valid one that has no downside for anyone in this game I'm sure CG would love to hear it.

Lastly, you are right that my comments are, in part, predicated on selfishness. I am undefeated in GA so of course I am happy. I say "in part" because I haven't read a suggested change to GA yet that would really hurt me. My team is lean and I spend money so of course I am going to beat those who are f2p. I really hope that you aren't naive enough to think that CG wouldn't come out with a game mode that didn't reward spending. Regardless, you should watch who you are calling out for being selfish because in reality, pretty much every "suggestion" on how to fix this and every argument people are making is predicated on selfishness.

Yeah, it’s really too bad that 1/2 the player base got the short end of the stick. I know that’s you Thanos, I can see you hiding.

NicWester is a good contributor to the forum who uses tons of logic, and only complains when it’s necessary and he has a valid suggestion. So working on credibility alone, everything you just said: Is wrong.

(You see what I did there? With the Luke line? Clever, I know.)
  • I’m in that boat before focusing and learning about the game and the mechanics I geared everyone, had no direction, but being awesome and I stuck out the account , heck I get placed with a person that obviously has a better roster than me but , it makes me want to refine my roster and , btw it’s only a game
  • 662-691-384
    No events available for me I had 2 battles I won then after nothing has been available.

THat's because you never joined this event 7 days ago.

Each GA event requires registration. If you miss the sign up day, then you can't play through the entire event. The first 2 events were just 1 battle (3 days each). This is a full GA event that spans 8 days. You can't sign up while it's running and already nearly over.

No i didnt miss the event... I never miss anything ... it just randomly isnt available. I'm on hours throughout every single day. Theres literally notifications in the right screen corner with a timer countdown. You would have to be Helen Keller to miss it. Thanks for your input though.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Wow a Hellen Keller reference. I must be in grade school again.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH