Young Han Solo OP?

Utori
1 posts Member
edited January 2019
I'm a relatively new player but I thought I've gotten some basic feel for game so far.
That was up until today when my team got crushed in squad arena by one character.
Namely, lvl 42 2 star Young Han Solo just managed to take out the following team (all chars lvl 46, gear level 5) that had approx 95% health: 3 star Cptn Phasma, 4 star JC (gear lvl 6), 4 star Chewi, 4 star Talia, 3 star STH/Tai pilot (tried both).
I had no trouble dispatching the rest of his team with little to no health lost. Also, had no issues killing much higher level elite characters so far if facing them with a whole team.
However, Young Han had his protection up constantly which was almost impenetrable while he was two-shoting my strongest characters.
I know someone will suggest some strategy for this situation but I still feel this is kinda imbalanced. In my mind 5 healthy chars should be able to kill one lower leveled one on auto battle any time.
Any thoughts anyone?

Replies

• Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    Characters are mostly balanced around level 85, because you just don't spend that much time at not-max level.

I have him at G12 and he's a beast in raids, but for PVP he's not especially godlike.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Utori wrote: »
    I know someone will suggest some strategy for this situation but I still feel this is kinda imbalanced. In my mind 5 healthy chars should be able to kill one lower leveled one on auto battle any time.Any thoughts anyone?
    Oh my sweet summer child, you're in for a ride.
    Still not a he.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Utori wrote: »
    I know someone will suggest some strategy for this situation but I still feel this is kinda imbalanced. In my mind 5 healthy chars should be able to kill one lower leveled one on auto battle any time.Any thoughts anyone?
    Oh my sweet summer child, you're in for a ride.

For end game content is dark, and full of terrors.

• Young Han starts relatively weak and gets stronger. My advice would be to not leave him to last, as he will then have time to boost himself to the point where he can murder people.

Keyboard Warrior on the side of the Moderates
    I play the game for fun, if you don't like content, don't like the game, then why are you here?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    What you are experiencing is the power creep of 3 years. You have beginner toons which never changed since launch, and everything released let's say in last 1.5 years is op compared to that. In their own league, not so much.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Utori wrote: »
    That was up until today when my team got crushed in squad arena by one character.
    Namely, lvl 42 2 star Young Han Solo just managed to take out the following team (all chars lvl 46, gear level 5) that had approx 95% health: 3 star Cptn Phasma, 4 star JC (gear lvl 6), 4 star Chewi, 4 star Talia, 3 star STH/Tai pilot (tried both).
    I had no trouble dispatching the rest of his team with little to no health lost. Also, had no issues killing much higher level elite characters so far if facing them with a whole team.
    However, Young Han had his protection up constantly which was almost impenetrable while he was two-shoting my strongest characters.

Why didn't you add an attacker to your team? None of your team members deal much damage. You need to break through that protection up. Ezra is often recommended as an early farm (phoenix in general are). He would probably do the trick. Alternatively Biggs, if you are going old school (Phasma lead might indicate, that you do).
  • No not op some toons early seem that way because ur working with the starter ones u will replace and never use again later because they r the worst. I still don’t have it it’s a raid toon don’t recall ever seeing it top 50.
  • Farmboy Luke should be apart of your team, until you get some better characters but more importantly get into an active guild.

That being said stop investing in clone wars Chewie and Jedi Counslar you’ll need those resources elsewhere same goes for Talia right now.

You’ll be at level 50 pretty soon and mods will unlock for you. Health mods will be all you’ll need early on, just look for speed secondaries.

• I remember my first run-in with Yolo in GW. I made the same mistake you did, took out the rest of the team first and couldn't get through his protection. Once you have a few attackers with higher ability levels, it won't be an issue anymore, especially if you kill him before he gets a turn.

On top of the ones others have mentioned (Ezra, Biggs, FB Luke), you could add Boba or Leia to your team. Chances are you've already unlocked them. Boba's ability block has often saved my hide in early GW runs, and his Execute special does high damage even at low ability levels. Leia does decent damage when stealthed and can boost the damage of your entire squad.

You might have Vader and Tarkin too, who make a nice team. With Tarkin's debuffs, Vader's Culling Blade can one-shot many characters. Your TIE pilot's basic attack does a lot more damage too when your opponents are debuffed, and he benefits greatly from a Vader or Tarkin lead. You'll eventually need a strong Empire team anyway to unlock R2. But that means you want to unlock Palpatine and Thrawn, and for them you need a strong rebel team. Ideally Phoenix, who also make GW a lot easier.
  • Just wait untill you face nest or mission and zaalbar

Or a well-geared Kylo Unmasked.

• Thank you all! Have a much better idea now.

I was trying to make the best I can with characters available to me at this stage.

Probably a silly newbie strategy but was going for time manipulation/multiple attack team. The idea being to have 2 healers, 2 support, 1 tank (or alternatively 2h/2t/1s) with no attackers. That way I could attack more often (with less damage obviously) but chip away, heal myself and play the long defensive game.

Team I had in mind was Phasma (turn meter gain/ slow enemies down/ multiple attacks), JC (I guess the best healer for me since Phasma prevents me from getting Luminara), Talia (healer able to do damage), Stormtrooper Han (tank/ turn meter machine) and Qui Gon (gains turn meter/ can debuff taunting tanks).
    In the meantime I got Tarkin which also fits in this strategy (replaced Qui Gon who is still weak anyway).
    It kinda works since I was finally able to defeat those pesky Phoenix in the arena (low level though but still!) and finally finish galactic war couple of times.

I will definitely try and experiment with stuff you suggested (like adding an attacker) but it will probably have to wait a bit since I have invested everything in this plan and am pretty low on resources.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Cool to see that you are already theorycrafting so early in the game.

While investing don't forget that you'll soon hit the spot where the game introduces protection on your characters. Most of us at the end game generally consider characters with only health left already in the danger spot. Trying to heal yourself back won't be much help when the enemy can one-two hit them from full health.
  • @Utori as stated, the best thing to do it kill Yolo first. If he has protection up, then he also has retribution so every time you hit him he is not only countering you, but building stacking offense which adds up quickly in that scenario.
  • Look for somebody that can dispel buffs. Ezra as mentioned before is a good one to start. He's phoenix which you'll need and he's a great character later on in Jedi teams. Once you get Han's protection up and retribution washed away, he can be beat down.
  • Generally, faction synergies are a Big Deal.

Most good teams have a leader who gives bonuses to a faction, then at least four if not five units in that team will be the same faction.

There are some characters who like to float about, like the Thrawn on most Sith teams (or most teams, really), or the Enfys Nest who loves popping up in the strangest places, but mostly strong faction lead with in-faction units is the way to go.

Early game, Phoenix under Hera, First Order under Kylo Ren Unmasked, or Sith/Empire under Palpatine fare well.

The main hodgepodge team that actually works fairly well with little in the way of faction synergy is Rex led teams, but he relies on leading some of the most powerful units in the game to function, like Wampa, Mother Talzin, Thrawn, Commander Luke, and Han Solo.

Generally, this game is not kind to healers, with only a few having been relevant for fairly narrow lengths of time. Chirrut with Baze had its moment in the sun. General Kenobi with zeta Barriss was a thing for a while. Right now, Jolee under Revan. But usually, this game favors very aggressive teams, behind a solid tank while you rip apart the enemy, often with little to no healing. Though that is less effective at GW, where you need sustain. A couple metas back, the primary team was called Nightmare. Palpatine lead, Vader, Darth Sion, Darth Nihilus, and Thrawn. While most of them have an additional function, literally all of them have serious damage output, other than Nihilus, but he has an instakill which serves a similar function. High sustain low damage output teams don't usually fare well. And especially don't fare well against assorted regenerating meat walls, like Kylo Ren Unmasked, Savage, or even Phoenix squad once they start getting their gear up and become one of the more solid defensive teams in the game.
    Still not a he.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Generally, faction synergies are a Big Deal.

tumblr_oz27ya2H8s1w83bt6o2_500.gif
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Utori wrote: »
    The idea being to have 2 healers, 2 support, 1 tank (or alternatively 2h/2t/1s) with no attackers. That way I could attack more often (with less damage obviously) but chip away, heal myself and play the long defensive game.

In arena, you generally want to play more on the offensive than for any defensive strategy. It's not as much of an issue with the older characters that have more basic kits, but the AI generally doesn't play in an optimized way...there are too many different types of characters and abilities. So most teams don't hold up well on defense....you can always do better with them on offense. Once you get to the point where you can equip mods, you'll want to try to get as much speed as you can through your mods. So, ultimately, the attack more often strategy will be what you want to do.....but you'll want some heavy hitters doing that once you can get some speed modded onto them. As mentioned elsewhere, faction synergy under a strong leadership bonus will be key too.
  • Once your characters have protection, restoring or buffing protection is more important than healing and the character class tags become less meaningful. Ezra is an attacker, but he can grant Protection Up to tanks by calling them to assist. Kanan is a tank who can buff his own protection and that of another ally. Garazeb can also grant Protection Up. Put all of them in one team and chances are your health bars will remain full thanks to the constant protection buffing.

If you do need healing, it can come from unexpected characters. E.g., Ackbar can heal by dispelling debuffs, Wedge has a leader ability that turns critical hits and kills into self-heals for rebel allies, Palpatine-led Sith teams gain health through debuffs, a Nihilus lead enables Sith to steal health by doing damage, and so on. Which means having a dedicated healer is not that important, unless that healer has vital abilities like stun or resurrect. E.g., I like to use Old Daka in mixed teams for the stun on her basic ability. Put her on a Palpatine-led squad and you can freeze the entire enemy team with a bit of luck. With enough crowd control abilities and turn meter manipulation, you might not even need a tank.
  • Wait until you have a team of 5 that are all gear 12 fully maxed and zeta'd.

You dispose of 4 enemy characters without being scratched.

Then only one enemy remains, enfys nest.

You can press auto and leave it for 100000 hours if that was possible. Enfys nest will never get a turn but you won't win
  • Shaunyvee wrote: »
    Wait until you have a team of 5 that are all gear 12 fully maxed and zeta'd.

You dispose of 4 enemy characters without being scratched.

Then only one enemy remains, enfys nest.

You can press auto and leave it for 100000 hours if that was possible. Enfys nest will never get a turn but you won't win
    Then don't send a TM drain team against her, take manual control, daze/stun her, let her turn meter tick up, and punch her in the face when her protection resets.
    Still not a he.
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Closing this necro
This discussion has been closed.