Titans or Nightmare

Alright, here goes. I've been holding off on asking this, trying to read as much as I can and just sort of feel it out, but CLS will be obtained in a day, I've saved a ton of resources to push him to G12 ASAP, but I just want to get some feedback before I do that, because I've been rolling with Empire/Sith for a bit and put a lot into that, but would be at about a similar place with a Titans team. My DN needs work, been running zzEP, Vader, zThrawn, TFP, zSion. Could potentially shift to the traditional Titans team in a couple days, though GK is 5* right now, but OB can run in his place for now. Because the G11/12 push is real right now, I need to sort of commit to one team of the other for arena, and figure better to ask now before gearing CLS way up only to realize I would have been better keeping to the original team and adding gear to them (everyone is basically just a few pieces from 12, whereas Titans would be around G10 average for a bit, probably, but this is building for the future, so it's not to say that's a big factor). Alright, I've been typing a lot, let's leave it there for now, with current metas and all what they are right now, what do you think? My shard's top 50 is almost all Revans with a strong smattering of Trayas, and peppered with CLS combos, plus a few Bastilas.

Replies

• Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    What is "Titans?" Every time I think I know all these goofy team nicknames, somebody drops a new one.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• TVF
    36518 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Jarvind wrote: »
    What is "Titans?" Every time I think I know all these goofy team nicknames, somebody drops a new one.

It's an older meta. I think maybe CLS Thrawn Han GK and...crap don't remember the other one. R2?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Yeah it was R2.

Here's my 2 cents. Ever since Titans were meta, all of those toons have had a place in later metas. Nightmare has been around for a while, but those toons do not have much synergy outside that team. The Titans have their uses everywhere, and will probably be building blocks for future metas to come.

I feel like Titans is the safer long term bet, but nightmare might get you higher right now.
  • Build up CLS, but stick with Sith for arena.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Nightmare will place you higher now.

Titans is composed of characters that are more useful outside or pvp and are viable on other teams
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    HK666 wrote: »
    Nightmare will place you higher now.

Titans is composed of characters that are more useful outside or pvp and are viable on other teams

I don't understand your wording. All five are super viable in pvp and three (CLS Han and either R2 or Thrawn) are super viable when you add C3PO and Chewbacca.

If you mean they aren't viable in pvp as a strict 5 toon team then I agree.
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    yeah, kinda mistyped that, lemme try again

using Nightmare will get you higher ranks than titans right now

Titans is an old team and won't get you super high, (nightmare's old too, but not that old), it's members are all useful outside of the Titans group, which Nightmare is much more niche

• HK666 wrote: »
    yeah, kinda mistyped that, lemme try again

using Nightmare will get you higher ranks than titans right now

Titans is an old team and won't get you super high, (nightmare's old too, but not that old), it's members are all useful outside of the Titans group, which Nightmare is much more niche

As much as I love my rebels he is right. Also, without Chewy or 3PO (Maybe even both) You wont get past Revan or Treya reliably enough with sub G12 Titans. I have 114k worth of Titans and still get pushed around 100 places back by the middle of the day. (Worth noting I have a G12+ Chewbacca and everyone else too only missing 1 Zeta, Thrawns Lead.) But then my shard is likely over a year older then yours so where your titans can get you and hold at are going to be way different
  • CLS lead really needs Chewie AND 3P0 now. I run CLS/Chewie/Han/R2/Thrawn all G12+, all zetad, and Revan can't even be attacked. Traya with Dark Bastilla can't be attacked. Heck even tanky Trayas alone are enough to bring victory into doubt. Not to mention I'm a sitting target for Revan, Traya, Bastilla, NS, JTR, other CLS......
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    CLS lead really needs Chewie AND 3P0 now. I run CLS/Chewie/Han/R2/Thrawn all G12+, all zetad, and Revan can't even be attacked. Traya with Dark Bastilla can't be attacked. Heck even tanky Trayas alone are enough to bring victory into doubt. Not to mention I'm a sitting target for Revan, Traya, Bastilla, NS, JTR, other CLS......

Agreed on Revan, but Traya was easy for me even before C3PO came along. I was using R2/L3 as my +2 but Thrawn should work fine too. Stun their Thrawn, kill DS Bastilla before she takes a turn, fracture Traya, kill Sion next.
  • Okay, just catching up on the thread.......

So, it sounds like the Titan characters are worth building, in general, but aren't going to make or break things for me in Arena. I agree, they are also useful characters in their own rights elsewhere, and I guess Titans is an older meta - I've been at the game a bit over a year, so I haven't seen the rise and fall of so many as some of you. I got to the Empire/Sith thing a little after its peak, and am just tired of playing catch up on the "hot team of the moment." I didn't jump on OR right after Revan (and will almost no doubt miss him next time) because of two factors, I think. First, I don't see the "OPness" at first. I had fun playing with Revan, but didn't think he'd be changing the game, I thought it was a gimmicky new toon. Chewbacca, I appreciated (though wondered how many Chewies we really need, this new one being the fourth, I believe), but didn't see him as being game changing, either. So, part of "being behind" is maybe due to my judgement of newer characters. Other players see something new and shiny and jump right on it, maybe, or else have a better perspective of how they will fit into the game longer term. Second, along with what I just said, I'm not one to just jump on the bandwagon, especially when I'm very mid-game and have other teams I'm still trying to develop a little (FO at 6*, Phoenix at 6*, Resistance needs a toon or two bumped a couple stars, Nightmare even needs work on Nihilus who is stuck at 4* G8 because I focused so much on Sion to get him zetad and maxed, though is currently still G11). I guess I figure I SHOULD be able to compete in Arena above the 500 mark, but that's where I'm stalling out, and trying to determine if changing course on my team focus is the answer.

So, long-winded response, but basically, is changing Arena teams going to make a big difference in rank for me? Current discussion points to a "no." Are the Titans toons worth pushing to max? Absolutely, though using them teamed for Arena may not be the answer to climbing rank. Any new thoughts still very much welcome, I hope this discussion continues, just sort of summarizing where it seems to be along with adding more of my own thoughts. I'm surprised to hear that Titans doesn't hold so well, anymore, though, as CLS is still one of the top 3 leads, GK is regarded as a top tank, Thrawn is... well, Thrawn, R2 zetad seems to add a lot to any team (or so people say), and my RHan is near G11 and zetad and hits like a beast.

Last words/questions - I have JUST started putting a little more emphasis on OR toons, as it seems worth building for Revan, but being I won't get him next time, .... I mean is he even going to be meta in a year still? Is it just another flash in the pan? The real question: Is it worth chasing metas (especially if you are way behind the curve)? I almost unlocked Chewbacca this time (Bossk farming is ... my shard drop rates have been enough to make a lesser man cry), and can no doubt work on that to have him next time, but without 3PO (cause **** if I'm at a point where I can devote that much to Ewoks), it almost begs the question is THAT going to be worth it. So, is a mid game player resigned to always chasing a meta and being a bit behind, or are there ways to crack the top 500 in Arena? Clearly my shard has some rather advanced players for the ridiculous numbers of Revans and Trayas I see. I tried starting a separate account at one point, thinking to get a better jump with current knowledge, but it is SUCH a grind, I couldn't bear running both accounts daily and pushing through all the beginner level **** again. I thought it'd be twice the fun and give me an account with a better starting foothold, but turns out the grind is just such **** to me at the beginning, and spending THAT much time each day on the game, while trying to switch back and forth in my head on strategies for each account, just got to be a lot. Only took a few days before I was way behind in logins for the second account, and so it wasn't even worth it. At this point, I'd have to start a THIRD account (because the second is months behind at this point) if I was going to employ that method, and it just seems to be too much to keep a handle on when there's still real life going on, and ****.
  • Is chasing old metas going to make a difference in arena rank for you?
    No.
    Is it worth chasing metas when you are behind the curve?
    No.

If old metas were still viable, CG would be failing as game makers, and failing at the business model. You’re either part of the meta or behind the meta. No real middle ground there.
    So look to the future. What is likely to happen in the next year? Safe to say we’ll get at least one Sith in the next few months, then some FO and some Resistance as Episode IX is close to opening.
    Don’t worry too much about current metas, as you don’t seem like somebody who puts enough money in to play. And get rid of the multiple accounts idea, you’ll put yourself into a farming coma lol
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • Is chasing old metas going to make a difference in arena rank for you?
    No.
    Is it worth chasing metas when you are behind the curve?
    No.

If old metas were still viable, CG would be failing as game makers, and failing at the business model. You’re either part of the meta or behind the meta. No real middle ground there.
    So look to the future. What is likely to happen in the next year? Safe to say we’ll get at least one Sith in the next few months, then some FO and some Resistance as Episode IX is close to opening.
    Don’t worry too much about current metas, as you don’t seem like somebody who puts enough money in to play. And get rid of the multiple accounts idea, you’ll put yourself into a farming coma lol

Yeah, that week or so where I was trying to be super active on two accounts.... I didn't think it'd be overdoing it, but man did I feel drained by the game. Wasn't worth it.

See, THIS is what I'm missing though. I like Star Wars. I mean I saw the original trilogy when I was too young to even be able to remember enough to mention an age. I skipped all the prequel **** because the way I saw it, it wasn't Star Wars, it was someone trying to make more money, and who the **** were Sith, and what the **** are these baton saber things. I actually can't recall that I've bothered with all of them still, I remember being too put off by pretty boy Anakin in Ep2. So... I don't keep up enough with the franchise to be able to make these crazy "calls" as to what's coming next and try to get ahead of the game. I guess that **** will all be more end game for me, and that's okay. I will say I did pretty good catching up on the EP meta. I rushed EP to the top as soon as I unlocked him at 5*, then when he gained 7 it was on. My Vader had always been strong, I put some more into TFP and Tarkin, and climbed ranks. Once I got Nihilus in a good spot and Thrawn, I booted Tarkin, and Zylo, who I had built up very strong and had been using, so the new synergy helped more. .I've been doing okay with that one, and can still build on it, but resources what they are at these higher gear levels, it's why I wanted to ask, because I'll finally get CLS tomorrow, and just wonder if I can climb higher changing directions.

Do you really believe Revan will become obsolete, then, down the road, or just not be so OP because they'll be someone even stronger? I haven't been playing the game long enough to get that big picture direction on things. And with new Sith coming, cool, I can keep on keeping on with my current Arena team, then, but as far as gaps to fill, I was given the previous advice of working on DN to plug in for TFP when it's time, and then ultimately move to Traya (but my guild's not doing heroic yet, so that's ... a ways off). Anything else I can do to move higher? Does **** Fallen hold any special place over another on my team (like dumping Vader, even though I've got him G12 and tanky as **** for an attacker, so I'd like to hold on to him unless it's really hurting me, especially with Force Crush under EP). I've also read and seen some hope for Nest plugging in for Vader, but she needs a LOT of work on my roster, I really haven't put much into any of the Scoundrels (outside the BH toons who share the tag).
  • And I guess to follow up with that, is the only way to get ahead by jumping on every new toon, making the assumption they'll be the next best thing, cause that sounds stupid to me? I mean, what if the next new character is the sith equivalent of Ewok Scout, **** if you put everything into that. Is it really as bad as saying F2P can never make the top 200 in Arena unless they stayed ultra competitive and made all the right choices from Day 1 (like some second account holders might do), or is there more to it?
  • Wait for the next pay to win character to be released (a-la-revan), hope you have the other 4 characters to go with them in the arena meta, and never look back.

The 'best' arena squad currently is the revan lead Jedi's - none of which a free to play person from day 1 could (sorry, should) have completed without spending, as all the characters required to 7* revan were released as marquees.

tldr: wait for a full faction of Marquee's, spend a fortune, obtain the legendary to go with them & win.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Revan now isn't as op as he was when released.

C3PO made it much easier for rebel and resistance teams to climb but Revan is still a better team on defense. Bad bastilla was a massive boost for the sith teams but again Revan will hold better.

As to what you should do? There's two main approaches I would recommend. Struggle on with what you have and stash crystals. When you have 30k crystals (also save carbs and guild currency) pick the next #1 meta team and rush it and gear it.

Second approach gear nihilus. Even 3 star g11 will do the job a lot better than tfp.

You mention being surprised titans doesn't hold anymore when cls is still a good leader. The problem is that titans is missing 2 massive components of the top cls team atm. C3PO and Chewbacca.

When titans were the #1 team it was the #1-#5 characters in the game without question. They made up for the face that there was only 3 rebels and 2 of the team didn't benefit from leader bonuses by the fact that they were awesome. Now they are merely very good characters.
  • Naraic wrote: »
    Revan now isn't as op as he was when released.

C3PO made it much easier for rebel and resistance teams to climb but Revan is still a better team on defense. Bad bastilla was a massive boost for the sith teams but again Revan will hold better.

As to what you should do? There's two main approaches I would recommend. Struggle on with what you have and stash crystals. When you have 30k crystals (also save carbs and guild currency) pick the next #1 meta team and rush it and gear it.

Second approach gear nihilus. Even 3 star g11 will do the job a lot better than tfp.

You mention being surprised titans doesn't hold anymore when cls is still a good leader. The problem is that titans is missing 2 massive components of the top cls team atm. C3PO and Chewbacca.

When titans were the #1 team it was the #1-#5 characters in the game without question. They made up for the face that there was only 3 rebels and 2 of the team didn't benefit from leader bonuses by the fact that they were awesome. Now they are merely very good characters.

Thank you, this is a lot of good information.

So, next follow up for anyone out there - is it worth the currency rush to obtain a new meta? Let's say I did just save and save on crystals and could pull that off... are the rank rewards worth the discipline and diversion of resources it takes to pull something like that off? I suppose there are a few other places a new meta helps, like GA and maybe a raid or TW, but... question remains, is it worth it? I do NOT have money to spend on the game (I've probably put $50-$100 in to it at this point, but financially speaking, am not in a position to dump anything into this game with actual dollars)?
  • Here's my 2 cents. Ever since Titans were meta, all of those toons have had a place in later metas. Nightmare has been around for a while, but those toons do not have much synergy outside that team. The Titans have their uses everywhere, and will probably be building blocks for future metas to come.

Absolutely! And very well put. Listen to this poster.

• Here's my 2 cents. Ever since Titans were meta, all of those toons have had a place in later metas. Nightmare has been around for a while, but those toons do not have much synergy outside that team. The Titans have their uses everywhere, and will probably be building blocks for future metas to come.

Absolutely! And very well put. Listen to this poster.

Thank you for the chime ins. So very worth while characters, no doubt. I will develop CLS, and continue to gear to 12 those toons, then.

As far as Arena direction, though, is it advisable to continue to work on Nightmare (where Nihilus is the most work for me now, Traya is not even in the picture, I either keep Vader for the long haul with Thrawn, or I've seen some suggest maybe subbing out Vader for Nest)? It's my most developed synergistic team that works in Arena. Or should I shift focus to a LS team with some of the Titan toons (such as a CLS, R2, Thrawn +2 sort of deal, though admittedly, I lack in the +2 area, maybe OB with someone else I could work on some more, or GK if I can gear him up with another)? GMY can be pushed up quickly in abilities and a little more gear, Ezra is coming along okay, Bastila would need some more gear, for sure, and abilities boosted).

Fair time to post this, I suppose:
    https://swgoh.gg/p/413765196/

But, I just got R2 up to 7*, so he's just behind RHan in power now, and then CLS just unlocked, so I'm, as I write this, in the process of gearing him and unlocking abilities. Another 24 hours from now (1/10/19 GMT 08::26), my profile should reflect where those two have ended up better.
  • There's not much to add on which of your squads will do best in arena for the time being. Just one more word on whether or not Revan will be obsolete at some point. It is more than likely that he'll have a huge impact for a very long time like the other two journey characters had and still have. Will he still be the leader of the arena meta in a year? Probably not. Will he still be a viable option (not necessarily in the leader slot) to climb in arena by then? Maybe.
    If squad arena is what you care about most, you might consider to skip Revan but there's also GA and TW, aside from the PvE aspects where he is useful (e.g. Phase2 HSR). Not having all the journey characters will affect your success in PvP modes at some point. For someone who doesn't spend a lot of money and did not start the game several years ago, there is often a tradeoff between building up several good squads for TW/GA and having new meta teams for squad arena asap.
  • I guess because Squad Arena is the most competitive feature with daily rewards, it tends to be my focus for furthering my game. I guess I need to chill on that a little, though, since I'm probably placing about where I'll be placing for some time, and just try to work on the characters that will have a larger impact for future play.

Sadly, though I've had plenty of time and many highly geared Resistance toons, I will probably not 7* my FOTP in time for a 7* BB8 this time around, which means he'll be stuck at 6*. RT needs a couple stars anyway, before I can really tromp HAAT with them. I've been actively getting my remaining Phoenix to 7* so I can 7* Thrawn next time, then was thinking FO comes after that for BB8's last star, and from there maybe getting on the OR toons.

BUT, I could get BH to 7* fot next Chewbacca and work on Ewoks for next C3PO. OR, I could work on NS to use for raids.

Any thoughts on chasing Arena rank vs developing more raid teams? Is OR good for any raids? Been passively working on Jolee, seeing this as a long farm for OR since they're all starting at about 3*, I think I have Bastila at 4 or 5 right now.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    enlguy wrote: »
    I guess because Squad Arena is the most competitive feature with daily rewards, it tends to be my focus for furthering my game. I guess I need to chill on that a little, though, since I'm probably placing about where I'll be placing for some time, and just try to work on the characters that will have a larger impact for future play.

Sadly, though I've had plenty of time and many highly geared Resistance toons, I will probably not 7* my FOTP in time for a 7* BB8 this time around, which means he'll be stuck at 6*. RT needs a couple stars anyway, before I can really tromp HAAT with them. I've been actively getting my remaining Phoenix to 7* so I can 7* Thrawn next time, then was thinking FO comes after that for BB8's last star, and from there maybe getting on the OR toons.

BUT, I could get BH to 7* fot next Chewbacca and work on Ewoks for next C3PO. OR, I could work on NS to use for raids.

Any thoughts on chasing Arena rank vs developing more raid teams? Is OR good for any raids? Been passively working on Jolee, seeing this as a long farm for OR since they're all starting at about 3*, I think I have Bastila at 4 or 5 right now.

Not quite what you asked but if you're focused on daily rewards, for most people it's much easier to get to the top in ships than in arena. You may have to gear up some (otherwise fairly useless) toons but fleet shards are generally much less competitive.
  • Yeah, I've been hovering around 200 for ships, though get as high as 150 before falling on defense. I've been playing with line up, and trying to 7* ships now (I had been diverting all resources to toons, now that I'm simming GW I'm using a lot of tokens for ships - PLEASE put Biggs back in there!) that I see myself regularly using. Slave1 will gain a star before the end of the month for sure, basically I have a 6* line up, I need to maybe start working at those last stars, it just takes a long time. Four shard drops instead of five makes it all the longer (I know it's been that way, but you can FEEL the difference in farm time). That said, I would rather be building greater crystal returns (not going to see much unless placing top 50 or higher in Ships) and the Arena tokens are more important to me for now, still needing to build a lot of those toons (Kanan needs his seventh star, Ackbar could use 2 more, NS need help, it's been a longer grind, I've never felt like I've been hurting on ship tokens, and ship currency tends to sit for long periods of times, then I get bored seeing it just sit there and upgrade a bunch of useless ships for **** and giggles just in case I feel like trying them out at some point). If it didn't take half a year to 7* the Executrix, I could probably be doing a bit better, but... it'll be **** summer before I have that at 7* the way these events go. Next one end of this month, if it's a once a month thing... I still have 70 shards to obtain, so....