I found this funny

Prev1
So in game we have obviously the Slave 1 , but to try to type the name of the ship into chat it’s censored, like the word trapezoid is censored, I get the point of keeping it clean but maybe alter the algorithm for some words ??

Replies

• It's not just this game, from a design perspective better safe than sorry.
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Too much censorship everywhere....glad I grew up when I did and we could say whatever we wanted without someone getting offended
  • Kokie wrote: »
    Too much censorship everywhere....glad I grew up when I did and we could say whatever we wanted without someone getting offended

this
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I do agree with some of the censorship, but I let my daughter play for a year (until she got bored with it) and there was never an issue, as the chat option is restricted if you're under a certain age. I wish this feature was in other games/apps..
    But it also reduces the need for such aggressive censorship
  • Has anyone played Marvel Strike Force? It's not censored, and it's a vile, puerile and pathetic environment.
  • The only problem I see is that the Enslish language is used as the basis for the censorship in all other languages, too. For example, the German word for "less" is called "weniger" and the chat censors it everytime, only because a part of the word could be used as an English cuss word. Or the name "Jesus" is censored, while it is a common name in Spain and South American countries where it has nothing to do with religious harassment at all.
  • I just want to be able to say basement
  • Has anyone played Marvel Strike Force? It's not censored, and it's a vile, puerile and pathetic environment.

If that's the case I am definitely downloading marvel strike force this minute.

I like profanity i use it every day.
  • The problem with swear filters in general is that they are dumb pattern matches, easily worked-around and often configured to be overly aggressive, causing harmless words to get censored unnecessarily.
  • I think its funny that penetration is banned on ingame chat despite it being a game term
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Kokie wrote: »

Offended is the new black.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m

Except that you didn't. It's just that anyone who was offended did't have a voice.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Except that you didn't. It's just that anyone who was offended did't have a voice.

So you're saying back then we could say whatever we wanted, because we didn't have a voice? Solid logic.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »

So you're saying back then we could say whatever we wanted, because we didn't have a voice? Solid logic.

Try again
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Always someone taking everything out of context....I grew up in the early 80's on a Indian reservation and while I am white many of my best friends were native American. We played cowboys and Indians together , laughed together, cried together, called each other names that would make people cringe today and they was never any hurt feelings or hate and malice towards anyone. We were friends respected each other and are still friends to this day. We accomplished all that without censors because we were mature enough to know that if I called them a skin or they called me a hokey it was meant in fun not malice.
    Always someone taking everything out of context....I grew up in the early 80's on a Indian reservation and while I am white many of my best friends were native American. We played cowboys and Indians together , laughed together, cried together, called each other names that would make people cringe today and they was never any hurt feelings or hate and malice towards anyone. We were friends respected each other and are still friends to this day. We accomplished all that without censors because we were mature enough to know that if I called them a skin or they called me a hokey it was meant in fun not malice.

cool story bro
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299

Imb4 this thread getting deleted / censored because it doesnt respect forum guidelines.
  • I’m offended that your talking about being offended.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • Tbirds01 wrote: »
    I’m offended that your talking about being offended.

I find this offensive.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Well this thread won't last much longer...
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    leef wrote: »

LEEF
    you’re still alive and around!

Except maybe "I'm gay". At least back when I grew up, that would have greatly offended entire church communities worth of people, if not whole small town populations :P And if a gay couple had been featured in a TV show, heads would have exploded and legislators would have stepped in to protect the kids. Not suicidal gay kids, obviously, just kids in general.

People are offended way more easily today than they were in the past. That much is clear as day. There are some things that were offensive all along and are now unacceptable, and perhaps rightfully so, although I'm not really a fan of any sort of censorship. However, today we also have hordes of hyper-sensitive people who are just looking for anything to be outraged over.
  • A thought on the origional point of the post. There's a simple solution. Put a toggle switch in the settings to allow those that aren't easily offended to turn the censorship off.

Easy fix. You want to not see offensive stuff then leave the filter on. If you don't care and are annoyed at the censoring of random words, then turn it off. Not too hard of a concept.
  • I wasn’t trying to get an offended or indecent thread , I was just poking fun at some of the non offensive like trapezoid and basement and balls and other funny words that are censored . And words that are already in game like defence penatration or Slave 1 . The world is trying to be too polite and politically sensitive, You wouldn’t see Chewbacca get sad about being called a walking carpet
  • KITTENS KITTENS KITTENS KITTENS AND KITTENS
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    I wasn’t trying to get an offended or indecent thread , I was just poking fun at some of the non offensive like trapezoid and basement and balls and other funny words that are censored . And words that are already in game like defence penatration or Slave 1 . The world is trying to be too polite and politically sensitive, You wouldn’t see Chewbacca get sad about being called a walking carpet

Just call it Squish 1 and you're fine.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    kalidor wrote: »

Offended is the new black.

Um excuse me I believe you mean it's the new term of color. Check your privilege, bigot.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• I can’t even type in defense penetratio.n without it getting censored.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/