What makes us tick? Why are some F2P, others P2W, and those in between?

DuneSeaFarmer
3525 posts Member
edited December 2018
No easy answer. But maybe, in my case, there is. For me, the thrill of the chase, building my teams, conquering an event, these are my motivations. To speed up that success would deminish the satisfaction of said acomplishment. To me, the time it takes to do so, isn't relevant TO ME.

My roster, I'm 100% F2P. https://swgoh.gg/p/716522998/characters/

Now, what is your story? What makes you tick?
Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on

Replies

• I am addicted to SWGOH, I'll admit that first lol. But when my wife and I were dual military we had alot of disposable income, I wasn't a whale by any means, and feel like this game would be kind of boring if I already had every toon 7* g12. But For me, the odd chest and vault(like every other month) I like so can play as much as I'd like. Lol
  • I'm a third world country poor guy --> FTP
  • No easy answer. But maybe, in my case, there is. For me, the thrill of the chase, building my teams, conquering an event, these are my motivations. To speed up that success would deminish the satisfaction of said acomplishment. To me, the time it takes to do so, isn't relevant TO ME.

Now, what is your story? What makes you tick?

I’m F2P for mostly the same reason. I think it’s fun leveling up a character, and it just wouldn’t be the same if I were to buy the shards and gear I need. It’s also partly because I feel stuff in this game is overpriced.
  • Some feel justified in their spending by how much time they put into the game.

What if you put a nickel away everytime you logged in? How much would you have to spend? Some people invest much more or less than a nickel.

My answer is pretty similar to yours. And i also like to beat P2P players that dropped money to show them that hard work and proper timing, and RNG can best a dollar anyday.
  • I'm free to play because I have bills in the real world, I don't understand spending large sums of money on digital codes that will be useless in a few years time (when the game servers are shut off) and IMHO advancing by ones pocket book as apposed to ones skill is cheating.
  • I wonder juuuust how long this thread has to live.

I understand both philosophies. I run two FTP accounts and another on which I've spent to make sure I get legendaries on my time frame (yep, Revan is one of them). It lets me stay where I want to in arena while putting resources where I want to put them instead of where I need to put them to stay competitive.
  • I used to spend a little, then I realised there's barely any return, so now I'm FTP.

I just go at my own pace, store up crystals and buy extra gear if gets me a full piece.

Started Sion from the ground up, a few months later he's up at 7* G12, as an example.

I play daily out of habit, don't chase after new legendaries just because they're there and just chug along really.

There's no skill to the game really, just **** retentive planning and self-pacing. Bit like a worse version of Sim City, if you go after all the things you'll spend the entire game in the red.

Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • I’ve played just shy of 3 years and have spent. Not even sure what qualifies as a whale, but doubt I fall into that category. I grew up on MUD games. So I treat this the same. I set a budget for the year and don’t deviate. Hence why I got JTR on her first release but not Revan. Boy do I wish I had saved for him. This game needs revenue to survive. I like this game. I spend.
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm free to play because I have bills in the real world, I don't understand spending large sums of money on digital codes that will be useless in a few years time (when the game servers are shut off) and IMHO advancing by ones pocket book as apposed to ones skill is cheating.

Same reason people pay to play golf, or go to a football game, it’s the entertainment value, not a piece of tangible something to hold in your hand. Sure it will be worthless in a few years( hopefully a lot of years) but if you got enjoyment out of it at the time, money well spent. I understand your point of view. I’ve only spent $70 in three years. I would spend more, but the offers are just way too overpriced for me. If we could have another charity bundle like with the Ewoks, I would buy. I do not regret spending my money here as I got enjoyment out of it.

And it’s not cheating. They paid for the access. The option was available to you, but you chose not to pay.
  • Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    I'm free to play because I have bills in the real world, I don't understand spending large sums of money on digital codes that will be useless in a few years time (when the game servers are shut off) and IMHO advancing by ones pocket book as apposed to ones skill is cheating.

Same reason people pay to play golf, or go to a football game, it’s the entertainment value, not a piece of tangible something to hold in your hand. Sure it will be worthless in a few years( hopefully a lot of years) but if you got enjoyment out of it at the time, money well spent. I understand your point of view. I’ve only spent $70 in three years. I would spend more, but the offers are just way too overpriced for me. If we could have another charity bundle like with the Ewoks, I would buy. I do not regret spending my money here as I got enjoyment out of it.

And it’s not cheating. They paid for the access. The option was available to you, but you chose not to pay.

This is merely my point of view, to be used to judge my own game play theology. Everyone else's game play choices have no interest for me. They can do what they wish, as they're free to. Just my POV.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Note: Those that spend, how much is none of our business, so do not feel like you must be quiet because you will grilled for details. To those reading along, seriously, it's none of our business. :) And no one has asked, just sayin..
  • I spent about $50 total, all on crystal boosters. Now that they aren't available, it's hard for me to justify spending knowing it's not as good a deal.

Also, I have a 1 year old and a wife and we have a strict budget where we each get about 0.5% of our income as personal spending money. After a couple of fast food trips and the occasional video game purchase, I'm left with close to nothing to spend on swgoh.

Also also, I really like the challenge of hoarding and strategically spending the resources in the game. I'm at a place where I have all the legendaries (except revan and only 5* chewy, but will get them both 2nd time), consistently top 100 in arena (200 in fleet but I hate fleet), and have a fully geared team for each HSTR phase. So now I hoard and try to get new legendaries 1st time around. I have 4 g11 OG ewoks, so I'm hoping that's enough for 3PO.
  • I am also 100% free to play. For me, I realize that money is livelihood, and I personally don't feel that I would be respecting the God who provides for me if I spend all His provisions on my own entertainment. That's not to say that I don't spend on entertainment from time to time (nor do I mean any disrespect to anyone who chooses to spend their money on that), but to me, for the most part entertainment is not valuable enough to justify that for me... So if I can have countless hours of entertainment, and daily entertainment at that, without spending a penny? That's almost as fun as the game itself!

And of course, thank you to the people who spend on this game so that I don't have to. :)
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • I am also 100% free to play. For me, I realize that money is livelihood, and I personally don't feel that I would be respecting the God who provides for me if I spend all His provisions on my own entertainment. That's not to say that I don't spend on entertainment from time to time (nor do I mean any disrespect to anyone who chooses to spend their money on that), but to me, for the most part entertainment is not valuable enough to justify that for me... So if I can have countless hours of entertainment, and daily entertainment at that, without spending a penny? That's almost as fun as the game itself!

And of course, thank you to the people who spend on this game so that I don't have to. :)

Priorities brother!
  • Here’s my reasons to stay FTP.

#1. Knowing I can get all of the P2P characters for free several months after they’ve been released. I don’t feel like paying for a head start.

#2. My wife would yell at me if I spent $$ on this.
  • Mr_Sausage wrote: »
    Here’s my reasons to stay FTP.

#1. Knowing I can get all of the P2P characters for free several months after they’ve been released. I don’t feel like paying for a head start.

#2. My wife would yell at me if I spent $$ on this.

Just yell? I would either be single or missing. lol
  • You know, for all the hate about the "marquee overload", I much prefer that to this crazy Legendary/Hero thing we've been getting. The Legendaries are paywalled, and take over Arena when they come out (to one extent or another), but the marquees aren't. Granted, you can't get them at more than 3* without paying, but at least you get them. Take Bastila--when she came out, I did my research, weighed the options, and decided I'd go all in on taking her to G11 and running her at 3*. It was a risk, but turned our to be the best decision I ever made in this game. I got a head start over everyone else and was able to jump to the very top of my shard. I took #1 for several months. And I was the first to get Bastila into my arena team, even before the whales in my shard. That was a great feeling.

I totally agree with Mr_ Sausage that it's not worth it to pay for a head start. But I just wanted to say, I like the marquees because whether you get a head start is more about your strategic mind than about your pocketbook, and yet CG still makes money because there will always be whales who take the toons to 7* with the packs. It's a win-win, and I would really like to see more marquees, not more Legendaries.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • You know, for all the hate about the "marquee overload", I much prefer that to this crazy Legendary/Hero thing we've been getting. The Legendaries are paywalled, and take over Arena when they come out (to one extent or another), but the marquees aren't. Granted, you can't get them at more than 3* without paying, but at least you get them. Take Bastila--when she came out, I did my research, weighed the options, and decided I'd go all in on taking her to G11 and running her at 3*. It was a risk, but turned our to be the best decision I ever made in this game. I got a head start over everyone else and was able to jump to the very top of my shard. I took #1 for several months. And I was the first to get Bastila into my arena team, even before the whales in my shard. That was a great feeling.

I totally agree with Mr_ Sausage that it's not worth it to pay for a head start. But I just wanted to say, I like the marquees because whether you get a head start is more about your strategic mind than about your pocketbook, and yet CG still makes money because there will always be whales who take the toons to 7* with the packs. It's a win-win, and I would really like to see more marquees, not more Legendaries.

I would say that this is a product of the "microwave" mentality. That I want it now and will do anything to get it. I would love to 7* traya tomorrow, but not at the expense of my real world.
  • I have spent several thousands over the course of @ 3 years and it don't matter now with the release of GA I'm constantly over matched and have yet to win..now the same match making has bleed over into TW so it is fools folly to continue paying into a game where it don't matter and matching is far from fair. Wasn't a whale but now I'm 100 % FTP. And besides the last character shard buys I did gave me nothing useful so I basically handed them a $50 dollar bill for nothing and it didn't change my GA matching. Because according to devs/mods..it is 100% fair matching..nothing is wrong with the current model..."these guys deserve too win, they built for pvp you wasted the chance even though they have way more zatas and better toons, they deserve to vs people like you, who aren't even close to decent challenge for them." Deal with it.