Is this supposed to happen?

Prev1
So, third day in a row I’ve come across a ridiculously OP team in my GW. This is my team:k2le3sw62ana.jpeg

This is what I get matched up against: uu0tolaefwlw.jpeg

This is what ensues: u9ybiba19i6w.png

Is the GW matchmaking broken or is it set to make it impossible to win after a certain level?

Replies

• Neither , That is a direct counter to your Phoenix squad. Time to diversify your roster a bit. One squad won’t do everything for you .
  • Sure, GhostTruckin, I’ll bring in an alternate lv71 squad with similar gear and get pwnd by the three zetas and lv84s just the same... try again.

Oh wait, by lv71 how are you supposed to even have more than one developed squad!?
  • LOL, well sir, good day and good bye
  • Wish you would’ve thought that way before provided a useless comment. There’s no way I could have any other squad developed alone that would beat this team, let alone a second squad to “diversify my roster”. Ha!!
  • Keep up the good work,
  • Keep up the great feedback.
  • Ignore Ghost, he prefers to be cynical and condescending most of the time.

Problem is your level. Lower levels always get matched up against near impossible end node teams. It’s going to take some time before you see more even matchups. Diversify and try and get a triangle type set up in the mean time. Meaning 3 different squads that can counter the OS metas at your level. Phoenix is nice but you should also try and have a Rex squad and ZQGJ if possible. What’s your roster like?

But the TLDR: yes it’s meant to be that way so lower levels don’t get GW on auto sim too quickly
  • Kantouch wrote: »
    Wish you would’ve thought that way before provided a useless comment. There’s no way I could have any other squad developed alone that would beat this team, let alone a second squad to “diversify my roster”. Ha!!
    It’s a long time since I was level 71, I grant you, but I used to have 3 different squads for GW.

Used them on nodes 1,2,3 to pump their TM in case I needed them again in a later node.

The other point I’ll make is that GW ran like this:

- completing 12 nodes was easy
    - Completing 12 nodes became very challenging
    - Completing 12 nodes became impossible
    - After developing roster and working on teams (like zeta Finn led resistance) completing 12 nodes became easy again

Ghost truckin, me, and thousands of others have gone through the impossible GW phase. Looks like it’s your turn.
  • . . . Right o laddie buck
    Is this a “must have the last word” competition?
    Is this a “must have the last word” competition?

Yes 😆
  • 😆 no.. 😝
  • 😆 no.. 😝

YES! :*>:):#
  • Well, as much as I’m glad to have some constructive feedback, you just suggested a zeta QGJ. 1) I’m lv71 that’s impossible. 2) I’m starting to develop a Jedi team and from what I understand QGJ is very sub-optimal so my cantina currency isn’t getting used on him, nor any other Jedi in that store. 3) at lv71, it’d be difficult to have excellently planned to have two solid teams, let alone three, but I get your triangle suggestion. That makes a lot of sense.

My point is, I guess, why does the matchmaking think it’s anywhere near close to fair, or even anywhere close to achievable, to place someone lv71 with below average gear against a lv85 with three zetas!? Why doesn’t the algorithm account for the extreme power difference at these levels? That just seems broken to me.
  • I first thought the GW bug was back (see https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/188771/server-update-11-30-2018). But seeing as the enemy team only has 3-5 stars whereas your team is 7-starred, I believe they may be close to the Galactic Power of your top 5 characters :/ I know this is unfair since their gear level, zetas and team synergy have a much bigger impact than their stars. But sadly, that's how the game calculates the power rating. Every once in a while, you come up against a team like this that is within your GP range (up to 115% or 120% of your GP, not sure) but is nonetheless hopelessly overpowered.

I've faced a similarly impossible match a while ago. Nightsisters with a zetaed Mother Talzin, a beefed-up Zombie and insane speed mods. There were three much weaker nightsisters on the team who brought their overall GP down to my level, but that didn't help me when Talzin wiped the floor with every team I threw at her.

Luckily, this becomes rarer as you get closer to to level 85, get higher gear levels on your characters, and have more teams to work with in GW. Especially one with a higher damage output than Phoenix, such as a Jedi team under Bastila or an Empire team with Palpatine and Thrawn once you've unlocked them. The Phoenix characters are good at surviving, but in a case like this you need to kill, stun, ability-block or otherwise disable opponents like Palpatine ASAP before he stuns your entire team. That's just not going to happen with Phoenix. I know that's not much of a consolation, but it really does get better.

• I don't know why the matchmaking does this. It's weird to me, but it does do it to everyone, and they've had years to correct it and they haven't, so this is what you're stuck with.

FWIW, I also developed Phoenix first with my alternate team on an account that just hit level 85 a week or two ago. I only just got the ability to sim GW and it's great when it happens. I still play GW for funziez sometimes, but knowing I can drop it and sim the rewards is great -lots of days I just don't have the time.

My first zeta on that account was Palp, right when I turned level 82 (b/c I got the 20 mats from the 3-year anniversary gift a couple weeks before that). I did that even though Vader was 5*, my other Empire were pretty mediocre and Phoenix were all 7*, level 80+. Why? Specifically because they hang together well, but they do face counters. So when I found a squad that smashed Phoenix, I'd bring in zPalp. I'd never use Palp **except** to pre-load TM on node 1 or 2 and then later when I couldn't beat the enemy using Phoenix b/c of Phoenix's protection regeneration. Together the zPalp squad (with boosted TM) + strong (for my account level) Phoenix squad would take down 8 or so GWs out of every 10 where at level 81 I was winning maybe 4-5/10 GWs.

That was enough that I had my 50 wins before I hit level 85 and the day I hit level 85 I started simming the thing.

But that combo - one strong Phoenix squad, one strong squad with completely different strengths & weaknesses - was very important.

You 're still going to get nuked by over-powered teams occasionally (I had one team randomly overpowered on node 3 - I was level 70-something and it had 2 zetas & 4 7*/level 85 toons + one at 5*. It was bonkers, but what can you do?

• Yeah, their total gp of that team is ~56.5k and my team is ~54.5k. Gotcha. So the GP calculation is what’s broken because that team is obviously by far more than 3.6% stronger than mine. Thanks.
  • Something else to think about: You might want to devote all your Guild Event Tokens to Hermit Yoda & Wampa. I know it seems a waste because you're spending without getting anything usable for a long, long time, but Hermit Yoda especially is very easy to gear and even though the time will be shorter to farm later, that's only because later you'll be on a guild that performs better in TB. It's still the exact same number of GETokens, and you can do without that higher-end gear now better than you can do without it later.

Not incidentally, both those characters have protection recovery and/or temporary (and renewable) protection boost, so both are fantastic in GW.
  • Yeah all my GET are being saved for Hoda for sure.
  • Kantouch wrote: »
    Yeah all my GET are being saved for Hoda for sure.

And he’s key for your Bastila team.

ZQGJ was more so a suggestion as an early on team who still has nice utility in TW at times as a back end clearing team.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Kantouch wrote: »
    Yeah, their total gp of that team is ~56.5k and my team is ~54.5k. Gotcha. So the GP calculation is what’s broken because that team is obviously by far more than 3.6% stronger than mine. Thanks.

This is it entirely. Some teams are good for their gp and some teams are bad for their gp.

You think this is bad, imagine if sion had his unique zetaed instead of nihilus having their leadership. Same gp but much much scarier.

What can you do? Well you are at the level where I had a second and third team developing to replace phoenix as they are about to suck in arena.

So that's one thing. Maybe you have something more able to beat these guys.

The second thing is mods. A lot of even node 12 gw teams have bad mods so if we'll modded your main team may even be able to cut through a team that hard counters them.

Some gw are tough and some are easy there's a lot of luck in the draw.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Nothing unusual here. The opponent team is chosen based on stat power and which node it is. Your team has a huge advantage in rank. The opponent has a huge advantage in level and a couple of zetas. Gearwise the two teams are on par. Unless you met this team on the first couple of nodes, it all seems to work as intende. As @GhostTruckin already pointed out, it's time for you to diversify your roster. If you insist on fighting paper with rock, you will loose every time. If you develop your own paper or even scissors team, you will stand a much better chance. But hey! It's all up to you. If you insist on using rock and disregarding the great advice of @GhostTrucking, then be my guest. Your choice.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Yeah, their total gp of that team is ~56.5k and my team is ~54.5k. Gotcha. So the GP calculation is what’s broken because that team is obviously by far more than 3.6% stronger than mine. Thanks.

Nothing is broken. You just took rock to a paperfight.
  • Waqui wrote: »

There is no team that a lvl 71 could have that can beat this palp team. Trying to be smart and knowledgeable or as Raven pointed out, simply condescending, and failing to see such an obvious thing is ironic.

There is no need to diversify at lvl 71 (on the contrary staying focused on those phoenix so they can unlock thrawn 7* is the smart move i’d say). Plus if you want to play efficient you have no choice in your farming plan, thrawn+palp into r2 into cls (can throw in Revan somewhere now since early bastila is broken in arena and she’s needed for revan) is the way to go and no matter what you would never be able to beat that team. As others have said, there comes a point where some gw are simply impossible to beat. To answer your question, in game with good game design no it’s not supposed to happen. In swgoh it is. You just need to keep trying everyday to unlock the sim as fast as possible.
  • JohnAran wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »

There is no team that a lvl 71 could have that can beat this palp team. Trying to be smart and knowledgeable or as Raven pointed out, simply condescending, and failing to see such an obvious thing is ironic.

There is no need to diversify at lvl 71 (on the contrary staying focused on those phoenix so they can unlock thrawn 7* is the smart move i’d say). Plus if you want to play efficient you have no choice in your farming plan, thrawn+palp into r2 into cls (can throw in Revan somewhere now since early bastila is broken in arena and she’s needed for revan) is the way to go and no matter what you would never be able to beat that team. As others have said, there comes a point where some gw are simply impossible to beat. To answer your question, in game with good game design no it’s not supposed to happen. In swgoh it is. You just need to keep trying everyday to unlock the sim as fast as possible.

Partly this, rough matchups happen and there were one or two times I simply couldn't beat GW.

Having said that, you can get around stronger teams in GW by using a second TM-loaded squad that can aim to take out an enemy character or at least get the other team to have used specials so they're on cooldown for your main squad. You could aim to take out Palp so the next team only has to fight 4 toons without a leader ability.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Everyone faces this in GW one way or another. You develop your roster, it will get better. And once you hit level 85 the enemy will not get any stronger.

It didn't used to work like that by the way. Be thankful.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I had exactly the same issue.
    Phoenix is the team to go in the early stages of the game. You are doing nothing wrong.

Once you lvl up your Phoenix a bit more and finally get Palp, Thrawn and basically an Empire squad everything will turn in your favor again.

You will just need a second squad for GW in order to reliably clear it.

And you will notice that Arena will be more difficult as well as Phoenix mirror matches become more tedious.

So work on your Empire! :)
  • JohnAran wrote: »

Yes, there is. If you have your own palpatine, use EP, DV, Tarkin, Thrawn (if you have him) and TFP on node 1 to preload their turn meter. All of those toons are unlockable with Phoenix. Then, with your preloaded TM, your EP goes first, uses mass stun, effectively giving you 2 turns before they get one. If your mass stun doesn’t land, retreat and try again until it does.
    If you don’t have EP, you can use Tarkin as your lead and hopefully kill their EP and Nihilus, then you can finish off the team with Phoenix as it won’t have EP’s zeta lead anymore.
  • We all had to fight our way through some big rocks in our early Days (with several completely maxed out teams in the last 3-5 nodes).
    GW is meant to be a challenge for newer players with limited rosters. Go on trying your best and eventually you'll reach a point where you can easily beat all 12 nodes and SIM the whole thing once you've cleared it 50 times.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    JohnAran wrote: »

There is no need to diversify at lvl 71 (on the contrary staying focused on those phoenix so they can unlock thrawn 7* is the smart move i’d say).

Match-making is based on stat-power. Not level. Not gear level. Not ability level. Not faction. Stat power. By reading previous comments it seems like the two teams don't differ much in GP (and probably also stat-power). This is all intended. You're not supposed to be able to finish GW every day mid-game.

What OP experienced is supposed to happen some days. GW matchmaking is not broken.

No need to diversify? The OP already farmed his Phoenix team to 5 x 7*. If you don't think, he should farm other teams now, well....I hope he doesn't take your advice.