Fan film: Vader Episode 1: shards of the past

Prev1
Metroplex79
832 posts Member
edited January 2019
With 5.3 million views, it's gotta be good, right?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ey68aMOV9gc
When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• It wasn't bad. Looking forward to Part 2
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I enjoyed it. If it were a cannon movie then I'd certainly take issues with a few things, but its a fan film.

Overall very enjoyable to watch. Effects are excellent so far. Voice acting is good (particularly the Emperor), costumes and everything else is all good.

I am eager to se Part 2, to see how the choreographed lightsaber duels go - should be interesting for sure.
  • I think that Palpatine is the weakest part of it.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I think that Palpatine is the weakest part of it.

I think they should have hidden his face completely (only his jaw line being visible), that would have been better than actualy seeing an actor - who clearly is not Ian McDiarmid. The voice acting for Palpatine I thought was mostly spot on! there were a few spots it wasn't as good but most of the time I thought it was great.

I also thought the scene of young Anakin and Padme was very lousy and certainly not needed. They could have done the audio for it and left out any type of actors - it just took away from what this movie was doing and instantly reminds me of being a cheesy fan film.

Like I say, looking forward to part 2 to see some good choreographed lightsaber duels - some of the fan made stuff is awesome now.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Another amazing Fan Film:

• ^ That video got its own post in 2016. LOL!!!

Surprising it didn't get many replies. That one was great too.

• Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    Another amazing Fan Film:

This is an awesome fan made film
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • Boo wrote: »
    I think that Palpatine is the weakest part of it.

I think they should have hidden his face completely (only his jaw line being visible), that would have been better than actualy seeing an actor - who clearly is not Ian McDiarmid. The voice acting for Palpatine I thought was mostly spot on! there were a few spots it wasn't as good but most of the time I thought it was great.

I also thought the scene of young Anakin and Padme was very lousy and certainly not needed. They could have done the audio for it and left out any type of actors - it just took away from what this movie was doing and instantly reminds me of being a cheesy fan film.

Like I say, looking forward to part 2 to see some good choreographed lightsaber duels - some of the fan made stuff is awesome now.

I agree that his face should have been hidden, but about half the time I did not like his voice.
    Also did not like Ani or Padme.

Apart from those two things, I liked it.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • I have seen both of those fan films before, but this one on Han Solo is the best in my opinion:
    https://youtu.be/BvPfCTyd3X8
    My favorite star wars movies (I might get hate for this) were the stand alones, Rogue one and Solo, and the guy who played Solo in this fan film was perfect!!
  • RiseUp2002 wrote: »
    My favorite star wars movies (I might get hate for this) were the stand alones, Rogue one and Solo, and the guy who played Solo in this fan film was perfect!!

I feel the same way about Rogue One. Solo was entertaining enough for me to see it twice, but I'm not sure I'll watch it again in the future. Rogue One though... wow. Maybe it's because the movie is geared at a more mature audience and the Imperial troopers don't always miss. Or maybe it's the Shakespearan resolution that is so refreshingly different from the usual happy Hollywood ending. It's Han's uncertain fate and Luke's lost hand at the end of Empire Strikes Back times 1000. Whatever it is, I've watched it five times already and can't get enough of it.
  • Haha, I know exactly how you feel. Whenever we have a family movie night, im the only one who ever wants to watch Rogue One. lol
  • It's great how many fan films have come a long way since the late 1990s. My 1st fan film that I loved was "Troops".

Rogue One was not perfect, but it did many little things right in trying to keep the look and feel of Star Wars Ep 1-6. The only sequence that was close to being "Solo"-ish was the darkened rain combat sequence on Eadu.

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    RiseUp2002 wrote: »
    I have seen both of those fan films before, but this one on Han Solo is the best in my opinion:
    https://youtu.be/BvPfCTyd3X8

This guy does a much better job of Han compared to what we got in Solo: A Star Wars Story.
  • @Boo but not as good as Harrison Ford, right?
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Tbirds01 wrote: »
    @Boo but not as good as Harrison Ford, right?

Ford is the MAN! - which is why Solo should never have been re-cast in the first place.
  • Well this happened.

Video from the creator of Vader Episode 1: Shards of the Past
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=acPFPu_UZWE

• Well this happened.

Are you serious?! Disney can’t just appreciate a fan made video? Everyone knows it’s fan made, it’s not like anyone is confused about that, but Disney just made it a whole lot more confusing. That was their work that they put into, and Disney is like, “MINE!!!!!”
  • Tbirds01 wrote: »
    Well this happened.

Are you serious?! Disney can’t just appreciate a fan made video? Everyone knows it’s fan made, it’s not like anyone is confused about that, but Disney just made it a whole lot more confusing. That was their work that they put into, and Disney is like, “MINE!!!!!”

Except it want Disney who put in the copyright claim. http://starwarshub.net/2019/01/15/it-wasnt-disney-that-claimed-star-wars-theorys-vader-fan-film-it-was-warner-chappell-music/?fbclid=IwAR2WpucqfOUxvDENgbYyATOD-8qx5AWDTM62my0GwRj8NFij8owmBghMDA4
  • Metroplex79
    832 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    ^ In that article, the screen grab lists several companies including "Walt Disney Music Company (Publishing)"

It may not be upper Disney, but one of their smaller companies/divisions is a tiny bit involved.

Either way. It's messy. It pushes more toward fan made stuff even with alterations are not safe.

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    The outcome of this is just downright disgusting.

I hope he makes Vader Episode 2, but I won't hold my breath on it after this.

This not only hurts Star Wars Theory being the makers of this terrific film, but by extension us fans, who can't enjoy some decent cosplay acting and story of our favourite franchise.

Actions like this only makes Disney Star Wars that much more estranged from its fans - not a smart move.
  • I'll be devil's advocate here.....

1- He was told he wouldn't be allowed to make any money from the movie..... He won't be making any money from the movie, so not quite sure why he is salty about it....

2- He spoke with Disney and Lucasfilm prior to making the video..... I can guarantee they told him he wouldn't be allowed to use any of the original musical score (anyone who knows star wars knows how precious to the franchise this is), yet he went ahead and did it anyways.....

He would have more credibility in my eyes if he hadn't said "this isn't about the money" then gone on to say how much money he could have made and whined about it being his "career"...... Disney really doesn't have a choice here.... Allowing him to use the original score sets precedent...... This can cause huge damage to a company in regards to possible future litigation....

The maul fan film was very well done (my personal fave fan film), and had no such issues as they followed the rules....
  • ^ Not totally disagreeing with you.

But, the original scores were not used, they were altered. I guess they weren't altered enough?

I loved "Darth Maul Apprentice" (my #1 as well), including the very old "Troops". Both didn't use any or variant of Star Wars music. But the Darth Maul video was lacking the music to tie it all together to make a "complete" video.

This video was not perfect, but it had enough of the music to tie the viewers' feelings to the visuals.

Even some of the crappiest 'stop motion" Lego fan films use Star Wars music. It just helps the imagination.

I'm just worried at some point no fan made film can be good, or else.

I know it's wrong to mention it here, but I heard Star Trek has had similar issues when it comes to great fan films/projects, that are advertised as fan made still gets shutdown.

• The creator uploaded a newer response:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=G3LOEuhryMo

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Disney had the right to take the monetize - but should they?

just because it's their right doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Lucasfilm gave their blessing and allowed the film to be made, without monetization. This guy put his own money, blood and sweat into it and now Disney are making money off that - that is exploiting their "right" on someone else's dime and time. Not cool.

Star wars Theory could have been butt hurt enough to say that he won't do part 2 - considering the overwhelming response to part 1, that would have upset a lot of fans - Not a smart move on Disney's part. Especially when the franchise is in such a precarious position this year with everything riding on the success of E9. Disney needs to be appeasing fans this year with no risk of shaking up the fandom anymore.

Luckily Star Wars Theory is still proceeding with part 2 - because he is doing it for the fans - he gets it, Disney doesn't.

That is the issue, again, just because they have the right to do something, it doesn't mean they should.

Lucasfilm gave their blessing and allowed the film to be made, without monetization. This guy put his own money, blood and sweat into it and now Disney are making money off that - that is exploiting their "right" on someone else's dime and time. Not cool.

Star wars Theory could have been butt hurt enough to say that he won't do part 2 - considering the overwhelming response to part 1, that would have upset a lot of fans - Not a smart move on Disney's part. Especially when the franchise is in such a precarious position this year with everything riding on the success of E9. Disney needs to be appeasing fans this year with no risk of shaking up the fandom anymore.

Luckily Star Wars Theory is still proceeding with part 2 - because he is doing it for the fans - he gets it, Disney doesn't.

That is the issue, again, just because they have the right to do something, it doesn't mean they should.

I appreciate what you are saying boo, and unappreciated the passion for the franchise I have seen from you in other threads, so don't take this personally.....

Again, to reiterate, he was told up front he wouldn't be allowed to make money from the video..... They have taken steps to ensure that..... Is he is bitter?

Also, as I said earlier, I can guarantee he was given a mandate not to use the musical score..... Just because it wasn't the actual original score, but a recreation, doesn't mean he isn't using it...... It's no different than any cover song that you hear on the radio..... Agreements have to be made with the creators / owners of the song prior to just being able to use it....

Also, if they allow him to use it, they eventually allow anyone to use it..... It sets precedent and causes trouble down the road.....

I'm no proponent of big business or where disney is taking the frsnchise.... But this is understandable....

This.
  • Disney was just fantastic doing what it did best: making their own stories. All the Disney classics are classics because they were made by Disney. Even modern movies by Disney are great if they’re only made by the Disney company, and no other company were involved with it. Even if it’s a bad movie or too family friendly that can be forgiven, because it’s Disney.
    But when they grow moneyhungry and take over every movie company, that’s where their downfall lies. Like we see here, when Disney takes over Lucasfilm and the whole Star Wars franchise, it makes certain elements more Disney-like instead of Star Wars. Thus it can potentially ruin it, whereas if Disney had rather stayed within their own franchises and stories fans would love them better.
    That’s my rant for y’all that I’ve been pondering all day.
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    I'll be devil's advocate here.....

1- He was told he wouldn't be allowed to make any money from the movie..... He won't be making any money from the movie, so not quite sure why he is salty about it....

I suppose he put a lot of work into this project and wanted it to remain available to his fellow Star Wars fans for a long time to come. And of course he wanted the recognition, upvotes, enthusiastic comments, the works. He's earned at least that, imho.
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    2- He spoke with Disney and Lucasfilm prior to making the video..... I can guarantee they told him he wouldn't be allowed to use any of the original musical score (anyone who knows star wars knows how precious to the franchise this is), yet he went ahead and did it anyways.....

The same fair use exemptions to the DMCA that protect his use of Disney's trademarked names and character designs in a non-commercial fan project also protect his right to include other intellectual properties. Such as Warner Chappell's music, especially if he altered it and turned it into a derivative work (for which he could even claim copyright provided it is sufficiently transformative).

As the opinion piece on Starwarshub admits, Warner Chappell has a history of fraudulent DMCA claims. If this matter went to court, there is relatively good chance that the ruling wouldn't be in their favor. Alas, going up against multinational media giants in court is impossible for any private person who isn't a millionaire. This "might/money makes right" aspect of current copyright law is one of the many things that urgently needs to be changed. The IP rights of large companies, small artists, and private individuals deserve equal protection under the law, imho.

PS: Just because YouTube did their due diligence and took the video down doesn't mean he did anything wrong. Under the DMCA in its current form, they're required to speedily remove any content as soon as anyone else claims ownership, even if it's a seemingly fraudulent claim. Ownership is not up to YouTube to decide. The legal route is for the creator of the disputed work to file a counter-claim. Which theoretically forces YouTube to restore the work, even if they're certain that the first DMCA claim was justified. Afterwards, the two parties can fight it out in court if they're so inclined. Only when a judge rules that the creator violated someone's IP rights, he can truthfully be said to be in violation of the DMCA.

But of course YouTube isn't that impartial and cannot afford to be considering how many fraudulent claims of ownership they receive for every opinion video that somebody out there finds controversial. Which is another issue with current copyright laws. Technically, YouTube violates the DMCA in the same way as certain torrent sites do by being selective in their response to DMCA notifications. Also by knowingly profiting from reuploaded content. There is no legal difference between torrenting a pirated movie and reuploading someone else's home video featuring kittens on YouTube without permission. The only difference is that the creator of the cat video doesn't have an army of lawyers, which brings me back to the unequal protection issue. But this is already way off topic.
  • He can get all the upvotes and comments he wants, I don't think you understand what happened here..... The video is still up, all they did was stake claim to their copywrited content on YouTube so that any ad revenue goes to them instead of the creator.