What era of saber fights do you prefer?

Prev1
Curious as to what we all prefer.
THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!

What era of saber fights do you prefer? 41 votes

Prequel era - fast with lots of jumps and spins and stuff.
70%
WasteMyTime2022BooCaptainRexjedikilla84Mr_SausageDarthGazzaChucko_marekCombatCommander7RavenclawsFürkészTWingsKyJoe_CooltheatomicpunT4NM4N26DrazharAleSahnDroh_1979Joe2648ForceOfTheUnitedMagicMatthews99DaPowerfulJedi 29 votes
Original era - slow with not much going on.
7%
EventineElessedilKelarnBubbaFett 3 votes
Sequel era - fast but not with the jumps and spins and stuff.
21%
Nikoms565UltraFalenXLacerJammaxFREEDOMfromTypherrionJarvindScrawnyKid88EffAPublicEyeD 9 votes

Replies

• Original era - slow with not much going on.
    ESB, ROTJ style
  • Sequel era - fast but not with the jumps and spins and stuff.
    I like the fights that don't look like this https://i.redd.it/e5t6q9h3ljyy.gif
  • Prequel era - fast with lots of jumps and spins and stuff.

That was a completely useless display, but the rest of the fight was, IMHO, the best in the franchise.
    Revenge of the Sith had the best fights hands down, imo.
    Revenge of the Sith had the best fights hands down, imo.

Anakin V Obi Wan was the highlight of all lightsaber battles.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I still like Maul v. QGJ and Obi Wan.

Nevertheless - whether it is that or Obi Wan v. Anakin in ROTS - they are both fights from the prequel era - goes to show prequel saber fights RULE!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I like how this has been fixed (by fans) - this should have been done in the Special Editions, instead of nonsense like Greedo shooting first:

• Original era - slow with not much going on.
    Well I'm no sword-fighting expert, but it seems to me that an actual fight with laser swords would only take a few seconds for a victor to emerge. Sort of like a fencing match. SLASH SLASH SLASH *TOUCH* and done.

The original Old Ben vs. Vader was admittedly primitive. In both ESB and ROTJ, Vader was never trying to kill Luke, he was trying to convert him, to beat him into submission, which necessarily extended the fights. The fights that came in the later movies were all supposedly mortal combat but took forever due to added flash.

But the best sword-fighting scene ever was in The Princess Bride, Inigo vs. Wesley.

That was a completely useless display, but the rest of the fight was, IMHO, the best in the franchise.

They all look like that to me. Bunch of useless spinning and flourishes done by people holding weightless wooden dowels.
    QGJ + Obi Wan vs Maul will always get my blood pumping.
    I enjoyed Sidious vs Maul and Savage.
    g4atb6a5et45.gif
    g4atb6a5et45.gif

BEST. SCENE. EVER.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    g4atb6a5et45.gif

BEST. SCENE. EVER.

I think Old Ben vs Maul on tattooine was epic in its own right, especially once I understood what was going on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs8ZidRFtYA
    @Boo this is for you
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    @Chucko_marek - hahaha! Nice!
    Boo wrote: »
    Who doesn't love Celine a Scene star wars edition?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

I love this!

• Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    I never liked the prequel fights. The crazy acrobatics were so over-the-top that I found them hard to take seriously. The worst by far was Yoda busting out his saber and just bouncing around like a pinball.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

I love this!

I will say this about Frozen, I thought it was going to be awful, but my wife and I actually enjoyed it. Make fun of us for being 30 and watching kids movies, but it was decent, especially for Disney. If you get the chance, look up the metal version, because everything should be seen at least once through a metal filter. lol. The guy who sings it does a decent job.
    I like how this has been fixed (by fans) - this should have been done in the Special Editions, instead of nonsense like Greedo shooting first:

@Boo this would’ve been a great addition to the first lightsaber fight in movie history.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
    I don’t mind the acrobatics for dodgeing every once in a while but some times they over do it. I like when they make it more direct.
    Also that praetorian guards fighting scene was the best
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    I really like the prequels, but I prefer the action in the sequel era more. Each blow has weight behind it, and is more meaningful. The prequels are all flash and no substance. I wish we had more content for the sequel era. We only had one lightsaber duel and it was fantastic, and I am looking forward to what the last episode's battle

https://youtu.be/rWF0f183tSA
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    But a lightsaber is like hot knife through butter - the weight doesn't matter its all about where you land the strike.

I would argue that the sequel era has the worst - its has slightly better choreography than the OT - but the OT saber duels had more feeling and emotional involvement to them. The sequel era is just boring - we already know who wins over and over and i'll give you 3 guesses who that might be, lol
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Typherrion wrote: »
    I don’t mind the acrobatics for dodgeing every once in a while but some times they over do it. I like when they make it more direct.
    Also that praetorian guards fighting scene was the best

Oh No - you did not just bring up the Snoke guard fight... that's the worst! first all not really counted as a lightsaber fight, but mostly there are disappearing weapons, guards are moving around unnecessarily (to add drama), the guards even throw weapons away at one point, Kylo gets disarmed and conveniently forgets he has the force (again, to add drama) and Rey kicks one guard yet 3 go flying.

The choreography is terrible - watch the breakdown videos on Youtube and you may change your tune on that one.

Compared tot he prequel trilogy choreography that is flawless - do you think the Anakin v. Obi Wan fight woul have had such lazy, poor and clumsy choreography? I don't think so.

Again, like the OT, the PT fights had feeling and emotional involvement in the duels - Obi wan v Maul who just killed his master, then we have Yoda v. Dooku (first time we have seen Yoda in action and decades in the making), then we have the Anakin v. Obi wan fight.

Again, the ST fights are boring...Rey always wins and there is little to no attachment by the audience with either Rey or Kylo.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    @Typherrion I will say that the Snoke Guard fight did have the most emotional attachment to any fight scene thus far in ST. It was exciting watching it the first time, i'll admit that at least, until I reflected upon it further anyway, lol
    Prequels, only because the Old Republic isn't a movie yet.
    T4NM4N26 wrote: »

Would you trust disney with OR films?
    I think the Sequels are like watching kids pick up a lightsaber and start swinging them about without any idea of whats going on.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Not sure I would - they are best suited to a different era - with no expectations or anything - they can't really mess up too much then.

Not sure I would - they are best suited to a different era - with no expectations or anything - they can't really mess up too much then.

Besides game to movie adaptions typically being awful, the best I would hope for is a remaster of KotOR 1 and 2. That is it. Also throw in the OG battlfronts and I would drop $60 like its hot.