Fan film: Vader Episode 1: shards of the past

2Next

Replies

• BubbaFett wrote: »
    He can get all the upvotes and comments he wants, I don't think you understand what happened here..... The video is still up, all they did was stake claim to their copywrited content on YouTube so that any ad revenue goes to them instead of the creator.

Ah, ok. That's fair. And if he did earn ad revenue, it wasn't really a non-commercial work, which means fair use is off the table.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    They did the right thing in the end - they removed their monetization claim. Lucasfilm stepped up and fixed the problem - the film being monetized by anyone (especially off the back of Star Wars Theory) was never part of the agreement for the film to be made.

This is good news - the overwhelming support shown by fans to star wars theory was incredible and Lucasfilm did the right thing. Excellent news!

https://youtu.be/5wn2jYlmvy4
  • Victory? Or common sense prevailing?

Either way, it's great. There is hope that not all employees under Disney is evil. :lol:
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Apparently they stopped the claim.

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-boycott-lucasfilm-returns-darth-vader-fan-film/

I doubt they did so willingly, the boycott scared them.
  • Apparently they stopped the claim.

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-boycott-lucasfilm-returns-darth-vader-fan-film/

I doubt they did so willingly, the boycott scared them.

George Lucas used the force
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Some people have thought of a conspiracy theory behind this - all a stunt for the fans to put their trust back into Lucasfilm.

Its not exactly a terrible thought, I mean this is a very precarious year - everything riding on E9, they can't have the fans upset. They need to build bridges without admitting guilt for what transpired since the release of TLJ (I don't want to go into details - you all know what I mean).
  • Boo wrote: »
    Some people have thought of a conspiracy theory behind this - all a stunt for the fans to put their trust back into Lucasfilm.

Its not exactly a terrible thought, I mean this is a very precarious year - everything riding on E9, they can't have the fans upset. They need to build bridges without admitting guilt for what transpired since the release of TLJ (I don't want to go into details - you all know what I mean).

Makes no never mind to me, I'm not even a little interested in SW9. ROTJ was the last SW movie.
  • At least Disney Revoked the claim, Hopefully they start focusing more on the magic and imagination of Star Wars like George Lucas did. If they continue to only thing about capitalism, then Star Wars is going to go down in flames.
  • RiseUp2002 wrote: »
    At least Disney Revoked the claim, Hopefully they start focusing more on the magic and imagination of Star Wars like George Lucas did. If they continue to only thing about capitalism, then Star Wars is going to go down in flames.

But maybe it is time for SW to end. Why kill a good thing? End it on a high note.
  • Obviously my statement would be a post ROTJ, Pre-sequel statement.
  • I'm more excited to see fifteen more minutes of shards than episode 9. That's the level of star wars I've been waiting for and not receiving for years, awesome
  • Tbirds01 wrote: »
    Disney was just fantastic doing what it did best: making their own stories. All the Disney classics are classics because they were made by Disney. Even modern movies by Disney are great if they’re only made by the Disney company, and no other company were involved with it. Even if it’s a bad movie or too family friendly that can be forgiven, because it’s Disney.
    But when they grow moneyhungry and take over every movie company, that’s where their downfall lies. Like we see here, when Disney takes over Lucasfilm and the whole Star Wars franchise, it makes certain elements more Disney-like instead of Star Wars. Thus it can potentially ruin it, whereas if Disney had rather stayed within their own franchises and stories fans would love them better.
    That’s my rant for y’all that I’ve been pondering all day.

I think I feel what you saying and yeah Disney told it's own story with avatar and I loved it. Toys gotta love it too etc, etc, but they made another avatar and called it star wars cause they could, they over there telling they own stories and calling it star wars and we suppose to accept it because they label it star wars Canon. No way I'll take the good and dismiss the bad
  • RiseUp2002 wrote: »
    At least Disney Revoked the claim, Hopefully they start focusing more on the magic and imagination of Star Wars like George Lucas did. If they continue to only thing about capitalism, then Star Wars is going to go down in flames.

We talking about the same George Lucas who wouldn't let Return of the Jedi have any kind of downer ending because it could hurt toy sales? The one who didn't have any more interest in doing Star Wars until he got a lucrative new toy contract in the early 90s? The one who basically made three feature length toy commercials?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Obviously my statement would be a post ROTJ, Pre-sequel statement.

I was gonna say! lol - what "high note" are you referring to currently, lol
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    RiseUp2002 wrote: »

We talking about the same George Lucas who wouldn't let Return of the Jedi have any kind of downer ending because it could hurt toy sales? The one who didn't have any more interest in doing Star Wars until he got a lucrative new toy contract in the early 90s? The one who basically made three feature length toy commercials?

Hurting toy sales? He knew ROTJ was about the redemption of Vader, good over evil and Luke being a hero - of course that would affect toy sales but that's not what it was about. It was his story and he knew exactly how he wanted to end it. Luke wanted to go bad but George knew that this was the last story and that was going to happen.

As for lucrative new toy sales - the OT was hard for George to get off the ground. Toys from movies was unherard of, it was hard enough finding a movie studio to back him on the movie, let alone a toy deal.

Kenner stepped up as the only toy company remotely interested, but knew his situation and gave him a bad deal - it was a bad deal but George still made a lot of money out of it.

His contract with Kenner was over if no more movies were made in 10 years. George didn't make anymore movies after ROTJ to end his deal with Kenner.

Once that was done - there was no problem finding a new toy company to give him a mega deal because of how much star wars brand was worth by that time.

So then he proceeded to make the PT.

George lost the plot with Jar Jar and Midichlorians - but he is a successful business man. Now he sold Star wars to Disney for $4B+!!! He is a self-made billionaire! lol

Very creative and smart.