Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• There was definitely a dot during the sign-up phase.

The event waw scheduled for the 29th when the calendar was first published, then the 19th, then the 20th, so it has wiggled around a bit.
  • There was definitely a dot during the sign-up phase.

The event waw scheduled for the 29th when the calendar was first published, then the 19th, then the 20th, so it has wiggled around a bit.

Yeah, I saw the dot too. But, like with TB / TW, if I'm in game doing stuff whilst an event goes live, it doesn't appear. It appears next time I restart the app.

For the clinically addicted SWGOH player, it is feasible they may go >24 hours without ever "closing" the app
  • maraexibil
    197 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    There was definitely a dot during the sign-up phase.

Yeah, I saw the dot too. But, like with TB / TW, if I'm in game doing stuff whilst an event goes live, it doesn't appear. It appears next time I restart the app.

For the clinically addicted SWGOH player, it is feasible they may go >24 hours without ever "closing" the app

Wow, that's a really bad UI error on their part. I play so continuously that I don't even remember if TW/TB has a dot or not! So people who play nearly every hour don't see a notification dot? Will report to EA. Thanks all!

Also, TW TB have 2-3 day countdown timers. Inconsistent that GA has none. Inconsistent also that bronzium dots do not require a client restart to have a notification dot.
    Post edited by maraexibil on
  • maraexibil wrote: »

Wow, that's a really bad UI error on their part. I play so continuously that I don't even remember if TW/TB has a dot or not! So people who play nearly every hour don't see a notification dot? Will report to EA. Thanks all!

Also, TW TB have 2-3 day countdown timers. Inconsistent that GA has none. Inconsistent also that bronzium dots do not require a client restart to have a notification dot.

By "dot" I mean the circular icon on the RHS of the main screen, as opposed to a red dot like appears on Store for the free bronzium.

By "dot" I mean the circular icon on the RHS of the main screen, as opposed to a red dot like appears on Store for the free bronzium.

I see, an event circle with a timer. If anyone else missed a GA for lack of visual cues, here is my bug report: feel free to like/plus one it

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Lack-of-cues-lead-to-Grand-Arena-et-al-being-missed/m-p/7363265#M22058
  • this event is just obnoxious...
    every opponent has between 35 to 55 zetas and G12 characters
    i only have 4 G12 and 8 zetas...
    so i'm forced to be the looser of every battle
    that matchmaking is just crappy ! Why don't you fix it ?

Me too. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    keknoby wrote: »
    this event is just obnoxious...

Because they never fix anything unless it hurts their precious HSTR
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

😂
    Maybe it's a hint that you should work on some stuff.. Considering all your opponents have the same gp invested (total growth), you shouldn't be that far behind unless.
  • Kilo_Ren
    34 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    My first match is against a player with a GP 800K more than mine. How is this matching me with a player at or around the same GP as mine? I don't even care that he has Revan and I don't. I can beat Revan. BUT, almost 1 million more GP? That is an outrageous advantage in a tournament designed to pit players of similar GP against each other.
  • Kilo_Ren wrote: »
    My first match is against a player with a GP **** near 1 million more than mine. How is this matching me with a player at or around the same GP as mine? I don't even care that he has Revan and I don't. I can beat Revan. BUT, **** almost 1 million more GP? That is an outrageous advantage.

Is this comparison from looking at his roster in game (in GA, hit the button under rewards, then click on your opponent, this will show you their roster).

If this is from looking at SWGOH.gg, its possible there are more than one person with that name and you have the wrong one
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Gannon wrote: »

😂
    Maybe it's a hint that you should work on some stuff.. Considering all your opponents have the same gp invested (total growth), you shouldn't be that far behind unless.

Unless his ships are amazing and the matchmaking is broke and sucks ????
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Dk_rek wrote: »

😂

Yea but how many ppl focus only on ships and don't work on toons gear or zetas at all? Most of the game uses characters, only a small part needs ships. Seems like a weird choice to me, but it's all player's choice.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member

😂

Yea but how many ppl focus only on ships and don't work on toons gear or zetas at all? Most of the game uses characters, only a small part needs ships. Seems like a weird choice to me, but it's all player's choice.

People do make that choice... and has NOTHING to do with the fact that GA matchmaking is wrong and broken until ship GP is calculated ONLY in events that have ships

There is no argument here its wrong there is NO defending it in its current state
  • Gorem wrote: »
    @DarkHelmet1138

Ok you lost me, some people just gained 100-200k+ GP from one event, possibly meaning they need to put out another squad on defence, and need another on offence, and are fighting harder opponents, because of ships, which is included in the pool for GP match ups, which means that its harder for them then it could have been... because ships are not in this GA. was pretty simple to understand what I meant :p

Yes but if you look at the people who got the falcoln, it is typically those with better rosters. The gp added, while it may change the matches a little, is insignificant to determining who will likely win.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

😂

People do make that choice... and has NOTHING to do with the fact that GA matchmaking is wrong and broken until ship GP is calculated ONLY in events that have ships

There is no argument here its wrong there is NO defending it in its current state

Well.. It's pretty well established at this point that they made the gp matching go off the total only. Same argument came up when TW was introduced. Anyone who ignores characters and only focuses ships is not paying attention or using common sense.
    Think if it this way tho, if it matched based only on toon gp, what would determine the winner?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited January 2019

😂

Well.. It's pretty well established at this point that they made the gp matching go off the total only. Same argument came up when TW was introduced. Anyone who ignores characters and only focuses ships is not paying attention or using common sense.
    Think if it this way tho, if it matched based only on toon gp, what would determine the winner?

Who has made better use of that character GP?

I know a few players that extensively focus on ships because while they can't penetrate top in squads, they can in ships. It's a very viable and advisable tactic. I tell the same who's struggling with squads to all newbies.

I don't see why you are defending this particular oversight which I'm pretty sure CG is on the road to ail before any other improvement. Also what do you mean by well established, it's well known but not established whatsoever, there's no point CG even implied this will be the case going forth.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »

😂

I know a few players that extensively focus on ships because while they can't penetrate top in squads, they can in ships. It's a very viable and advisable tactic. I don't see why you are defending this particular oversight which I'm pretty sure CG is on the road to ail before any other improvement.

I get why some do it, to some extent. But going all out on ships at the exclusion of toons is absurd to me. It's galaxy of heroes, not galaxy of ships.
    And I'm not defending the use of total gp, just pointing out that this has always been the way gp works. For over a year or so, since gp was introduced. It calculates investment. If someone focused only on toons that were their favorite, like clones, they're in the exact same position. Its players choice what you decide to work on, but the amount of work put in (GP) is the same as those you're matched with. If they made smarter choices, that's on you, not cg.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.. Lol
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited January 2019

😂

I know a few players that extensively focus on ships because while they can't penetrate top in squads, they can in ships. It's a very viable and advisable tactic. I don't see why you are defending this particular oversight which I'm pretty sure CG is on the road to ail before any other improvement.

I get why some do it, to some extent. But going all out on ships at the exclusion of toons is absurd to me. It's galaxy of heroes, not galaxy of ships.
    And I'm not defending the use of total gp, just pointing out that this has always been the way gp works. For over a year or so, since gp was introduced. It calculates investment. If someone focused only on toons that were their favorite, like clones, they're in the exact same position. Its players choice what you decide to work on, but the amount of work put in (GP) is the same as those you're matched with. If they made smarter choices, that's on you, not cg.

Since we went through this argument numerous times, it's you who's backtracking to default position. No, GP neither indicates the power of a roster or the amount of investment that went into it. It's an arbitrary measure that's made by arbitrarily increasing parameters. Nowadays I'm throughly enjoying taking stuff to G12 with very little GP bumps and being overgeared to all opponents I get matched with in GA.

Tonight I'll be roflstomping this poor peep.

eepx708lodsf.png
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

😂

Since we went through this argument numerous times, it's you who's backtracking to default position. No, GP neither indicates the power of a roster or the amount of investment that went into it. It's an arbitrary measure that's made by arbitrarily increasing parameters. Nowadays I'm throughly enjoying taking stuff to G12 with very little GP bumps and being overgeared to all opponents I get matched with in GA.

Yea we've been through this a few times, but yea gp calculates investment. Has since it was introduced. Here's one of dozens of quotes about it as evidence.
    If you look closely at a person's roster, you can even guess when a player started playing, and the amount of money they invested. It's pretty accurate when you think about it in those terms.
    Kyno wrote: »
    Fear_77 wrote: »
    This may seem it bit out there..but what if they only took into account the top 1/3 or 1/4 (or some other fraction) of our rosters? This would only include toons that have serious recent investment in it for gear, omegas, zetas. This may help with being grouped with people that have 25 more g12s or 20 less g12s than oneself.

Then ppl would complain about why the rest of the roster wasn't included. Or tat their opponent is vastly different gp.. Or ships.. Or mods.. Or any number of other things.
    In the end, total gp is the broadest and most general way to match two players' total investments into the game. Which is good..

The whole point of this thread is to try and figure out how it is calculated, or if it needs to be updated since all the changes like 12.5+ And 6 dot mods and stuff.

The system never seemed weighted correctly for any "effective rating" vs usefulness from a player perspective (i.e.- combat usefulness). It always seemed to be more of a total investment rated from in game usefulness (i.e. - where they can be used).

But would redistribution of the weighted score really help?

7* leading to g12 leading to 6 dot mods, makes 7* really important in the grand scheme, so they may have been thinking about that and not just usefulness in raids and all phases of TB.

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member

😂

Yea we've been through this a few times, but yea gp calculates investment. Has since it was introduced. Here's one of dozens of quotes about it as evidence.
    If you look closely at a person's roster, you can even guess when a player started playing, and the amount of money they invested. It's pretty accurate when you think about it in those terms.
    This may seem it bit out there..but what if they only took into account the top 1/3 or 1/4 (or some other fraction) of our rosters? This would only include toons that have serious recent investment in it for gear, omegas, zetas. This may help with being grouped with people that have 25 more g12s or 20 less g12s than oneself.

Then ppl would complain about why the rest of the roster wasn't included. Or tat their opponent is vastly different gp.. Or ships.. Or mods.. Or any number of other things.
    In the end, total gp is the broadest and most general way to match two players' total investments into the game. Which is good..

The whole point of this thread is to try and figure out how it is calculated, or if it needs to be updated since all the changes like 12.5+ And 6 dot mods and stuff.

The system never seemed weighted correctly for any "effective rating" vs usefulness from a player perspective (i.e.- combat usefulness). It always seemed to be more of a total investment rated from in game usefulness (i.e. - where they can be used).

7* leading to g12 leading to 6 dot mods, makes 7* really important in the grand scheme, so they may have been thinking about that and not just usefulness in raids and all phases of TB.

The amount of money I invested is 5$. How do you plan to guess that by looking at my roster? If GP was really capable of calculating level of investment why are the ferraris of the game, namely G12s go for such a low GP price?
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

😂

The amount of money I invested is 5$. How do you plan to guess that by looking at my roster? If GP was really capable of calculating level of investment why are the ferraris of the game, namely G12s go for such a low GP price?

I'd say you started around first quarter of '16, which is about the same as I did.
    And for those who spend money, it is interchangeable with time. It's not a hard comparison when you take in that farming a toon from unlock takes x amount of time or y amount of dollars on average.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

😂

I'd say you started around first quarter of '16, which is about the same as I did.
    And for those who spend money, it is interchangeable with time. It's not a hard comparison when you take in that farming a toon from unlock takes x amount of time or y amount of dollars on average.

So are we talking about monetary investment or ingame resources investment? If you remember I made a table how it's far from corresponding to ingame resources usage.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

😂

So are we talking about monetary investment or ingame resources investment. If you remember I made a table how it's far from corresponding to ingame resources usage.

Monetary investments= time investments, both will be reflected in gp. resource management is player's choice, where they invest that gp. If they put everything toward ships, that's their choice.

I remember, and I also remember disproving it with screenshots showing current gp gains. It may have been that way before, but it's not anymore. Everything added is shown in gp, and I posted dozens of pics to prove it. When revan returns, I'll post a video of the whole process to show every gear tier, level, ability, etc and its impact to gp growth.
    Would be easier if cg posted the exact values, but I can reverse engineer since they still haven't..
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited January 2019

😂

So are we talking about monetary investment or ingame resources investment. If you remember I made a table how it's far from corresponding to ingame resources usage.

Monetary investments= time investments, both will be reflected in gp. resource management is player's choice, where they invest that gp. If they put everything toward ships, that's their choice.

I remember, and I also remember disproving it with screenshots showing current gp gains. It may have been that way before, but it's not anymore. Everything added is shown in gp, and I posted dozens of pics to prove it. When revan returns, I'll post a video of the whole process to show every gear tier, level, ability, etc and its impact to gp growth.
    Would be easier if cg posted the exact values, but I can reverse engineer since they still haven't..

Only thing you proved is the GP calculation is different from the old tables, but the value modifiers in between them is still the same as I have shown you. I.e. g12 GP/G8 GP is still the same as it was before. One arbitrary base value is exchanged with another base arbitrary value while the modifiers are exactly the same. Thus the investment correlations I made stayed the same as well.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    As you can remember we went with old tables vs. the numbers you collected.

jtj4w379dhco.png
  • Gannon wrote: »

😂

It isn't a matter of only focusing ships. Simply activating a ship multiplies the GP value, ornin this case cost, of all crew members. If ships are excluded from GA but their GP value is included then the matchmaking is broken.
    Roster management and player skill. Is that not the point of GA?
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    As you can remember we went with old tables vs. the numbers you collected.

jtj4w379dhco.png

Yea, I don't get where you got those numbers at all.
    So far in my screenshots:
    Gear 6= 84*6=504 gp
    Gear 7= 112*6=672 gp
    Gear 8= 122*6= 732 gp
    Gear 9= 143*6= 858 gp
    Gear 11= 198*6=1188 gp
    Gear 12= 210*6= 1260 gp
    Just for gear tiers, additive. Also have screenshots and recording of ability level gp increases, star increases, levels, and mods.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Whether you agree with the specifics of the method I used here, there is so wide a gap that no method will ail. It's a simple fact that there's no investment vs GP correlation to G12 vs G6-7-8

um9ja46a3zw7.png
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Whether you agree with the specifics of the method I used here, there is so wide a gap that no method will ail. It's a simple fact that there's no investment vs GP correlation to G12 vs G6-7-8

um9ja46a3zw7.png

Um, but the math is wrong.. How could I agree?