Missed Grand Arena for lack of in game visual cues

Prev1
maraexibil
197 posts Member
edited January 2019
I missed GA despite being logged on several times during the setup phase. There is no in-game visual cue (i hear badges appeared, but I didn't notice any). There was no countdown timer like on TW/TB. The out-of-game calendar was changed with short notice and was not visible (edited entry as opposed to new thread).

I hear a lot of people missing it. In my case I was actively looking for it and still somehow missed all the announcements. QoL Suggestion: in-game notification dot on the table (like events, store, guild tables) and a two day countdown timer before event signup starts (like TB/TW).

If same thing happened to you, you can Me Too this bug report

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Lack-of-cues-lead-to-Grand-Arena-et-al-being-missed/m-p/7363265#M22058

Replies

• The only reason I got in is that I check every day. I didn’t get any notice.
  • A tip for the future, check the monthly calender 👍
  • There is a red circle with aGA image in it on the right side of the screen ...
    Wouldn't have thought one could miss it.
  • There already IS a countdown timer on the screen like with TW and TB.
  • Ephran wrote: »
    There already IS a countdown timer on the screen like with TW and TB.
    DarkISI wrote: »
    There is a red circle with aGA image in it on the right side of the screen ...

• Someone did mention in another thread that if you never actually closed the app it was possible that the reminder circles, etc may not actually appear.

I have no idea of this myself as I play on several devices and each time you play on a different device it reloads the app from scratch but maybe each 24 hour period, close it down and then reload, to refresh everything?
  • I only noticed because my guild prompted me.

Otherwise I’d have missed it too.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member

They don't actually show up for everyone. There is an old bug that causes such things not to show up sometimes if you don't actually exit the game every once in a while. Newer phones, or devices which are used only for goh, could possibly never get the badge.
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    I think its a valid complaint and hope they make it more noticeable in the future

That doesn't help when they edit the calendar a day before the GA event starts.

Yeah that's pretty funny, I can tell you where to put your tip and your thumb
  • I missed the last one because of this. Never saw a notification or red dot. Didn’t even know it was running until it was over and guildmates were discussing.
  • I wouldn’t mind an auto JOIN option that automatically clicks off if you have a GA where you didn’t participate. We would have massive non players the first time this happened but after that I think it would be pretty smooth.
    I have never missed one of course... I have been in the situation of not seeing the circle but guild chat and forums always gives it away. That raises the question as to how important checking the forums is for this game-
  • It would be nice if the game generated an in-game reminder email telling everyone about the signup period.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    A tip for the future, check the monthly calender 👍

In this case though, the edit moved it back a day. So if you had checked it previously (and after the prior edit which was a couple of weeks ago), you would have been looking for GA to open on the 19th, gone to the calendar again to see why it wasn’t showing up, and then seen the edit moving it to the 20th. So it at least had a chance of helping.
  • For the people posting in here that missed it, nobody in your Guild posted anything about it? We always post it in the top banner of the guild chat when a GA is starting up. I would ask your guild officer's to do a better job of communicating with the guild members.
  • Wait, are there people who don't read every forum thread?
    Keyboard Warrior on the side of the Moderates
    I play the game for fun, if you don't like content, don't like the game, then why are you here?
  • maraexibil
    197 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    A tip for the future, check the monthly calender 👍

I checked the calendars, I knew it was January 20+. What I didn't know was that the event badge sometimes show and sometimes do not.

I checked the forums nearly everyday. My browser history shows I looked for SWGOH events on sign up day. Swgohevents did not have GA at the time this week as I remember. Backread on the forums: This also happened to several people in December.

I was not negligent in waiting for GA or trying to find out when it was. There are reports that a GA event badge shows up only on client restart. If this is true, then this is a bad visual bug that must be addressed.
  • Cal00054
    158 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    The icon on the right side of the screen only shows if you join. Why do people immediately go to being rude instead of trying to be helpful?
  • The easy solution would be to put a reminder in the inbox like they have for raids.
  • Pulsipher wrote: »
    I wouldn’t mind an auto JOIN option that automatically clicks off if you have a GA where you didn’t participate. We would have massive non players the first time this happened but after that I think it would be pretty smooth.
    I have never missed one of course... I have been in the situation of not seeing the circle but guild chat and forums always gives it away. That raises the question as to how important checking the forums is for this game-

Last December it was all over forums. This month the GA megathread was buried and there were only a few posts talking about it until after the setup phase. Still, out-of-game notifications should not be the way to let people know of an ongoing event.

• maraexibil
    197 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    For the people posting in here that missed it, nobody in your Guild posted anything about it? We always post it in the top banner of the guild chat when a GA is starting up. I would ask your guild officer's to do a better job of communicating with the guild members.

There was mention in in-game chat, but was buried. I was the officer in charge of DSTB so I was setting up notifications for it.

It's very bad UI and communication on devs part for several daily 600 players to miss a GA. Imagine playing all the tables and still missing a GA.

Reminds me of the greyed join button bug. At least I didn't miss those TWs because they had longer countdown timers.
  • maraexibil
    197 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    jkray622 wrote: »
    It would be nice if the game generated an in-game reminder email telling everyone about the signup period.

Better yet, fix the event badge so it shows up consistently or use an event notification dot. Also add a countdown timer. I remember clicking daily on the GA table and still somehow missed it. It also happened to several players last December, I remember from reading the forums.
  • maraexibil
    197 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Found some of them (i remember there were others)

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/190989/grand-arena-bug

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/No-Grand-Arena-No-notification-failed-to-join/m-p/7285633/highlight/true#M21257

Apparently it doesn't show up all the time to all players. Some say a client restart is needed. Some say the badge only shows up when you join.
  • I was wondering how many people miss the sign up. I thought it was supposed to be on the 24th. I never see anything in game. I’ve missed every GA except for the first one and that was canceled early or something if I remember right. I look at the forums some but many people don’t. I come here much less after the whole site was switched around.
  • Ephran wrote: »
    There already IS a countdown timer on the screen like with TW and TB.

Apparently not for all players. I may have seen those in December, but not all the time and not this time. I play close to 4-6 hours a day with multiple daily logins, the notification was not visible or uber short-lived. The inconsistency should be addressed.

The notifications for different events with countdowns could be funneled into a single task list area.
  • Thanks for missing!q137fn9n946y.png
  • Nearly missed it . Saw it for first time with one hour thirty mins

• Blackbeardpepe
    1481 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for missing!q137fn9n946y.png

I have a feeling this happened to a lot of people (including my wife and I).