Phoenix team needs to be fixed.

Prev1
CouchCrewChief
10 posts Member
edited January 2019
When I meet them in squad arena and have 5,000 power over them and I can’t dent them, the team is just annoying. Seriously, you gave that team too much. It’s easy to see, everyone has them in arena. I’ll never spend money on this game when all you can do is buy the exact same team to compete. It’s a good game but I get days when I’m tired of having to face 1,000,000,000 Phoenix teams over and over and over in Galactic War and Squad Arena. Tone them down.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    You are on the early side of the game, dont worry they will go away.

Just remember that synergy matters and bringing the right tool for the job is very important. The power of a team means very little, synergy and the ability to counter a count much more.
  • Phoenix fall off in arena very quickly. Once everyone has the tools to beat them, which won't be long, they become an easy target. For example, once you get a Palpatine empire squad you will crush them. In galactic war, Darth Maul works well against them because he can apply daze to stop counters and he deals double damage to Ezra and Kanan.
  • When I meet them in squad arena and have 5,000 power over them and I can’t dent them, the team is just annoying. Seriously, you gave that team too much. It’s easy to see, everyone has them in arena. I’ll never spend money on this game when all you can do is buy the exact same team to compete. It’s a good game but I get days when I’m tired of having to face 1,000,000,000 Phoenix teams over and over and over in Galactic War and Squad Arena. Tone them down.

I understand where you coming from but it’s a common and easy team to farm. It’s not going away any time soon. As your teams Develop you will start to see less and less of them as they don’t have real Arena Viability. Just give it a little more time you won’t see them. In my Arena I literally seen one Phoenix team for the entire week. Now it’s mostly Night sisters and Various Rebel Teams, First Order, Resistance etc.

• Phoenix are great for early game arena, useful for unlocking Thrawn + Palpatine, clearing TB missions at all levels, and for their ships. Outside of Sabine they're not very useful in raids.

Once you're mid-game they're basically useless in squad arena. When you can take them out 1 on 5 late-game in TB and GA with a single character, you realize how weak they eventually become.

The frustration will pass.
  • Ewoks (with Logray) lay waste to Phoenix. It's great fun sending the bears in to take down Hera & Co.
  • If your team has no synergy at the level I’m assuming you’re at, you’re never going to beat Phoenix. But their critical weakness is the low damage output. Only Ezra can hit really hard, otherwise the others just rank very well
  • I’m mid build of an FO team. 7* Phasma, just got Kylo Unmasked to 5*, Stormtrooper to 4*, FOE 4*, FO Tie Pilot to 3 star. I think the worst is all the timeouts. Or hit Chopper 5,000 times and not be able to take him out with all crit hits. And that’s 90% of my arena. That’s all I’m seeing and after to fight for 2-3 weeks the same teams, it’s just old. I’m #682 in my shard, so not doing horrible. Just wish I didn’t have to deal with the same **** every day.
  • Kylo Unmasked with his un-resistable stun is great against Phoenix. And the fact that they're low damage means they usually can't kill him. FO runs on high damage Crits so you'll get there eventually and then Phoenix is a walk in the park with them.

I'd suggest using your Cantina credits on FOO if you're going FO in arena. I delayed getting him but he makes an absolutely massive difference.
  • Oh. I thought this was going to be a thread about how Phoenix sucks, and should be made better, and I was going to protest, because I don't want to spend 1700 Carbantis and 900 Stun Guns (not an exaggeration) gearing them up.
    Carry on :smiley:
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • I’m so sick of this, I’m about done with the game. Put a 7* level 74 Phoenix team in front of me over and over in Galactic War and Squad Arena. Just call the game Star Wars “Team Phoenix” already.
  • You can't beat them with the hodgepodge of free characters that the game gives you early on. But as soon as you have five characters of a single faction with great synergy, you'll find that just about any team can beat Phoenix. Jedi under Bastila, First Order, Empire, Sith, Nightsisters, Bounty Hunters etc. You need to pick a faction and start farming.

That being said, it makes sense to farm Phoenix first since they're relatively easy to farm and allow you to unlock Thrawn and Emperor Palpatine. Add Tarkin, Vader and Tie Fighter Pilot, which you've probably already unlocked, and you have a team that walks all over Phoenix and will remain arena-viable for months to come.
  • If you think Phoenix is fun, wait until you hit the Empire and Jedi metas that follow.

FO is a good team offensively and they do have the tools to take on Phoenix. You really want to get masked Kylo in there though. He drives the First Order TM-train and he brings a second stun.
  • Phoenix is a good squad but their weakness is damage output, like others have said above. They also can regenerate protection and health so they’ll stand up to teams that don’t have synergy.

FYI if you’re trying to use FO against them you need high critical damage and offense
  • LordGrahck
    344 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    The key to defeating Phoenix is also their strength. Hera's leadership allows them to share their unique abilities, which is why they heal health and protection rather quickly. Also, you're dealing with two who can taunt: Kanan and Chopper. To take out Phoenix, you need the following:

1) Team Synergy: You need a team that works with each other well. A Palpatine lead Empire is an example. Ewoks are another. First Order is good. Bounty Hunters. The list goes on. Simply using your top five most powerful characters won't be enough if they don't have the synergy to work well together.

2) Hit the head: Target Hera first when you attack. She has the ability send others to attack, which can be annoying, and she can also put a buff on her teammates that means they resurrect after they fall. Finally, her main has a debuff that can be annoying as well. Taking her out first will cripple them, slow them down a touch, and prevent the game of "Whack a Rebel" from starting.

3) Be able to remove buffs ... twice: Phoenix has two who can taunt. You need to be able to dispell that taunt or put an ability block on Kanan and CHopper so they can't taunt. First Order, for example, has the ability to do similar with KRU's second ability and F/O Executioner's Second ability. In a basic Empire team, Palpatine can stun, Thrawn can fracture, and TFP can prevent buffs. Old Ben has a special that can ability block in mass. All of these are reasonably easy to get early on, and have value in late game.

4) Mod your team: Mods, if your high enough to get them, are good to have. Even if they're crappy low dot mods, any will help, especially ones with Speed and Potency on them to make sure your specials land and your team is faster than Phoenix.

5) Use your AOEs wisely: Phoenix often has the ability to retaliate in mass when attacked. So be careful with your AOE attacks.

6) Patience: Of all these tips, Having patience is the most crucial. Of all the responders, they've all told you the same thing, Phoenix will pass and you'll get the team that can handle them. That takes patience. At one time, I struggled against Phoenix. Everyone has struggled against them at least once. Phoenix is a good early team that is easy to farm early on, has great synergy, and still has value in late game in TB/TW/GA. Plus, their ships are really good as well, especially with the OT Falcon now released. Remember ... patience, young padawan.

Good luck.
  • When I meet them in squad arena and have 5,000 power over them and I can’t dent them, the team is just annoying. Seriously, you gave that team too much. It’s easy to see, everyone has them in arena. I’ll never spend money on this game when all you can do is buy the exact same team to compete. It’s a good game but I get days when I’m tired of having to face 1,000,000,000 Phoenix teams over and over and over in Galactic War and Squad Arena. Tone them down.

I understand where you coming from but it’s a common and easy team to farm. It’s not going away any time soon. As your teams Develop you will start to see less and less of them as they don’t have real Arena Viability. Just give it a little more time you won’t see them. In my Arena I literally seen one Phoenix team for the entire week. Now it’s mostly Night sisters and Various Rebel Teams, First Order, Resistance etc.

Easy to farm??? Tell that to my Stungun supply....
  • @Trent_Illician That's IF you take them beyond the G8/9 mix you need to unlock Thrawn and Palpatine.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    I have to disagree with the guy saying to kill Hera first, which is a weirdly common suggestion. Killing Chopper first is way better - it stops them from regenerating protection every time you hit them, which is the main thing that makes them so hard to kill in the early game.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Jarvind wrote: »
    I have to disagree with the guy saying to kill Hera first, which is a weirdly common suggestion. Killing Chopper first is way better - it stops them from regenerating protection every time you hit them, which is the main thing that makes them so hard to kill in the early game.
    Also takes them down to one taunter which is much more manageable.
  • NERF PHOENIX PLZ
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Actually killing Chopper stops the health regeneration. Killing Zeb stops the protection regeneration.

When I used to face them it was typically kill Ezra or Chopper first, Ezra being the only one that does decent damage and he ramps up everyone else's offence. Chopper, while healing everyone, is a fast taunt, which is really annoying paired with iron-boots Kanan. Killing Chopper cuts it down to a single taunt.
  • Jarvind wrote: »

And Chopper usually taunts first anway since his base speed is much higher than Kanan's. If you try and take out anyone else first, chances are that Chopper's taunt will interrupt you, so you might as well start with him.

That being said, I usually kill Ezra first when I'm confident that I can finish him with 2-3 attacks. A toothless Phoenix team is easy to deal with.
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Actually killing Chopper stops the health regeneration. Killing Zeb stops the protection regeneration.

Kanan can also regenerate protection, but he's a slowpoke. If he gets his second special off more than once, it's an unusually long fight.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Hmm, I usually go for Kanan first to stop the counters.
  • OK, basically youy want to get one of the following teams that auto Phoenix:

Palpatine, Vader, Thrawn, Sion, Nihilus
    Kylo Ren Unmasked, Kylo Ren, First Order TIE Fighter Pilot, any other 2 first order
    Bastilla Shan, Grandmaster Yoda, Hermit Yoda, Jolee Bindo, Old Ben

Most of us are extremely glad when we see a Phoenix squad to fight (Grand Arena for example), since any of the above not only auto, they end up on full health and usually full protection for max score against Phoenix, In fact once you hit 85, the only teams weaker than a maxed out Phoenix squad would be (a) mindless mix of 5 toons, (b) jawas.
  • Altazarus wrote: »
    OK, basically youy want to get one of the following teams that auto Phoenix:

Palpatine, Vader, Thrawn, Sion, Nihilus
    Kylo Ren Unmasked, Kylo Ren, First Order TIE Fighter Pilot, any other 2 first order
    Bastilla Shan, Grandmaster Yoda, Hermit Yoda, Jolee Bindo, Old Ben

Most of us are extremely glad when we see a Phoenix squad to fight (Grand Arena for example), since any of the above not only auto, they end up on full health and usually full protection for max score against Phoenix, In fact once you hit 85, the only teams weaker than a maxed out Phoenix squad would be (a) mindless mix of 5 toons, (b) jawas.

While true, this is almost overkill against Phoenix :) You can already beat them with a basic Imperial Command squad – Palp, Vader, TFP, Thrawn & Tarkin – and slowly evolve it into the Nightmare team that Altazarus listed above.
    But keep in mind that you need a full Phoenix team to get Thrawn, as well as a Rebel team (which can also be Phoenix) to unlock Palpatine.

As for Bastila, you can also start with a more basic Jedi squad under her lead and transform it into the above-listed squad over time. It'll take you a long time to farm Hermit Yoda, and you need five Jedi early on to unlock GM Yoda. Pretty much any four Jedi under a Bastila lead should be able to do that, as well as take out Phoenix teams in GW and arena. But of course it makes sense to include Jolee and Old Ben from the beginning. I'd fill the last two slots with Ezra and Kanan since you'll want your own Phoenix team at some point. Once you have GMY, he can take Kanan's place.
  • LordGrahck
    344 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Jarvind wrote: »

I've tried taking out Chopper first, and 9/10 times, I get Hera putting her resurrection buff on him and I have to turn around and kill him a second time, which is why I suggest taking out Hera. It stops that from happening, and she's usually easy to take down. After Hera, I then usually take down Chopper, then Zeb, then Ezra, and finally Kanan, unless Ezra is being especially troublesome in which case, I'll take him out before Zeb.
  • In Grand Arena I just go in 1v5 with Wampa. If their speeds are higher, I'll go Boba + Wampa for more damage and taunt ignore.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Actually killing Chopper stops the health regeneration. Killing Zeb stops the protection regeneration.

When I used to face them it was typically kill Ezra or Chopper first, Ezra being the only one that does decent damage and he ramps up everyone else's offence. Chopper, while healing everyone, is a fast taunt, which is really annoying paired with iron-boots Kanan. Killing Chopper cuts it down to a single taunt.

Zeb's regeneration is at the start of the turn. I was referring to the Protection Up every time you land a hit.

@LordGrahck makes a good point about Hera's auto-rez buff. When I was struggling with them, my go-to team was First Order - the FO TIE pilot's special, when fired with Advantage, inflicts both Health Down and Buff Immunity, which was my silver bullet for killing Chopper first and making everyone else a lot less sturdy.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• I’m able to get them about 50% of the time. I’m in the process of farming Kylo Ren Unmasked, currently 5* almost 6*. Early on I did just try to open toons, I’ve narrowed my focus a lot for the FO team but with neither Ren nor FOE dropping in store with any frequency, it’s a long process. So it’s just turned into a frustration. I know eventually the FO team will wax, but slow farm for both Ren toons, FOE, and FOO makes it a tedious, daily fight. My FO stromtrooper and TIE Pilot are 4* and I get all 16 attempts for both each day. Guess it was a slow pick up on the need for laser focus. For me beating them I have to get a chopper quickly and Hera right after. I’ve finally got 4 dot speed mods open. Now to find credits to max them out to speed up Phasma to pop Victory March immediately. That’ll help end Chopper quickly. I am just annoyed with having to face them 4 of 5 times in squad arena and 2 times in Galactic War. Especially when running into accounts where all of them are 6*-7*. It’s lost the fun. If not a rework of Phoenix, rework the RNG so I see different teams and don’t have to go through the same thing multiple times.