Drop rates

Prev134
Kameleonic
241 posts Member
edited January 2019
If we were to get double drop rates, particularly for mods gear, do you know how long it would take to get a single character up to XII?

That's right: months.

I cannot comprehend why it should take SO long to level up even just one character, and there are scores of them.

Even at double the current drop rate it would take years to level up everything, in fact you would never level up everything given new character and ship releases.

So why are drop rates so mind numbingly slow?

It takes serious, daily commitment to level just one: meaning a lifetime to level them all. Is this realistic? Fair?

One thing for sure, it takes SO long that I am on auto pilot now, the joy has long gone. I just finally unlocked JRT, and so? I literally do not care as she is old news now.

Revan? I am so far from unlocking him it is irrelevant.

The grind should never demotivate so greatly, but here, it really does.

Wake up Devs, this is work, not entertainment.

Kyno: Edited for clarity.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• I’ve been playing 2 years, F2P the entire time, and all but 20 characters are 7*

I, however, am a collector and focus on shards over gear. (I get my rear kicked in PvP)
  • Kameleonic
    241 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    7* characters are somewhat easy to get. Modding Gearing them up past even level 9 becomes a serious chore.

Kyno: edited for clarity
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Prioritize. The game would be far less fun if everyone had everything maxed.
  • I think you might be using the words "mods/modding" instead of "gear/gearing" going with the context of the rest of your post.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The game is a grind. Yes it take a while to get to max everything on a toon. The background behind all the star wars stuff is resource managment. Picking the right toons and making plans.

The key is to focus on a plan with a background of the next plan built in and keep moving forward.

Early game it cam be overwhelming and seem impossible, but many players have gotten to a happy medium with only the investment of time. The grind is meant to incentivize spending which will buy you time.
  • This game is a massive and slow grind, requiring you to make quite harsh and long-term plans for who you're going to gear unless you're willing to spend.

I personally agree that speeding things up a bit would make it more fun and I don't personally think it would have a huge impact on spending (I spend when I want to get things NOW so making the F2P route a bit faster wouldn't disincentivise me), but the way I view it at the moment is that everyone has to deal with the same drop rates. For me this game is largely about outcompeting my peers so the objective rate of progress isn't as important as how I'm doing compared to my shard.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Deum_Alisi1
    117 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Simple. It's all about the money. It's a game to you, but it's a business for them. They've seem to hit that magical sweet spot that enough people will pay to keep it profitable, so they're not going to change it. Don't worry about being the best and the game can still be a very fun time killer. Besides it's the interaction with your guilds mates on discord that really keeps anyone playing.
    Post edited by Deum_Alisi1 on
  • The real problems is that most characters are simply not usable at g9 or g10. On top of that, most gear for high levels requires low level components. So you have to decide before playing a character if you actually want to gear them up.

It would be nice if the real gear grind started at g10 and gear levels lower were at least functional.
  • Cal00054 wrote: »
    Prioritize. The game would be far less fun if everyone had everything maxed.

There we go AGAIN, another guy pointing out that if EVERYTHING was maxed out the game would not be fun.

1. Yes, you're 100% correct that if EVERYTHING was maxed out you would most likely not have fun. I have my reservations because people do in fact keep paying to keep their accounts completely maxed in terms of gear and shards so they may know something we don't.

2. The OP isn't arguing that he wants everything maxed. He's arguing that the current pace is making it impossible to keep up. If it takes decades to max everything out that we currently have, given that future content will keep being introduced periodically, there is no possible way to catch up. You'll never have the ability to get the previous characters before you start grinding for the upcoming ones.

Nobody argues that the grinds should completely stop, the argument is that before you move on to the new grinds, the previous ones should be completed or left at a decent level. You're trying to take the OP's words out of context in order to prove your point but this attempt greatly exaggerates the point he's making. He's simply asking for a balance, not that everything gets handed to him.
  • Austin9370 wrote: »
    You also don't appear to comprehend the idea of a game that's intended to last years. How soon are you expecting to have every character? Within a year because you want it all now? You're at least at an advantage as a newer player, you can choose the direction you want and focus your resources there. Perhaps Ugnaught will stay locked and ungeared until you retire from the game.

After over 3 years, I still have 9 characters to get to 7*. I'm getting close!

He isn't setting a time line, he's simply implying that before you can move forward to the new grinds you should be given the ability to somewhat catch up to the previous characters and factions. Most people have come to terms that their clones/ Jawas/ Phoenix/ droids/ ect well forever remain g8-9 because they are forced to move forward to the most OP, new characters. Nobody is saying that it should take a year to max EVERYTHING out, but people want a chance to finish one grind before a new one begins
  • Kameleonic wrote: »
    If we were to get double drop rates, particularly for mods gear, do you know how long it would take to get a single character up to XII?

That's right: months.

I cannot comprehend why it should take SO long to level up even just one character, and there are scores of them.

Even at double the current drop rate it would take years to level up everything, in fact you would never level up everything given new character and ship releases.

So why are drop rates so mind numbingly slow?

It takes serious, daily commitment to level just one.

Revan? I am so far from unlocking him it is irrelevant.

First, I'm confused whether you're referring to shards or gear.
    1. Shards come easy. I'm probably 3 teams behind on gear that I'd like to g12.
    2. Gearing is tough and focused. I gear 2 characters at a time. I'm way further behind on gear than shards- and with 26 g12 characters at 2.3m gp I'm lean.
    3. I think the real issue is that they need to add a slingshot mechanic: make gearing old characters easier. Make it faster for new players to get 2 good teams.
    4. This leads me to discouraging friends to join the game. It takes 6 months to get 1 good team. The game is terribly boring at the beginning and new players are almost zero benefit to any guild.
    5. Mods are too OP. I've yet to lose at GA not because I have better teams- I'm simply faster. That's just weird.
    6. Wait until g13 hits. I have 2 maxed out g12 characters and THAT takes forever.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Cal00054 wrote: »
    Prioritize. The game would be far less fun if everyone had everything maxed.

There we go AGAIN, another guy pointing out that if EVERYTHING was maxed out the game would not be fun.

1. Yes, you're 100% correct that if EVERYTHING was maxed out you would most likely not have fun. I have my reservations because people do in fact keep paying to keep their accounts completely maxed in terms of gear and shards so they may know something we don't.

2. The OP isn't arguing that he wants everything maxed. He's arguing that the current pace is making it impossible to keep up. If it takes decades to max everything out that we currently have, given that future content will keep being introduced periodically, there is no possible way to catch up. You'll never have the ability to get the previous characters before you start grinding for the upcoming ones.

Nobody argues that the grinds should completely stop, the argument is that before you move on to the new grinds, the previous ones should be completed or left at a decent level. You're trying to take the OP's words out of context in order to prove your point but this attempt greatly exaggerates the point he's making. He's simply asking for a balance, not that everything gets handed to him.

He doesnt make any argument about keeping up. Hes asking why it has to be so slow.

But since you brought it up, keeping up with who?

New players are grouped together and only need to "keep up" with players who started at the same time.

Yes new players have to make choices, they need to pick if they should build up a new character or continue on planning on old plans. That's what this game is about, planning and managing resources to make the plan work, on top of that deciding when to finish or abandon a plan. They are not going to make this easy and they want to "reward" people who make better choices.
  • Austin9370 wrote: »
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    You also don't appear to comprehend the idea of a game that's intended to last years. How soon are you expecting to have every character? Within a year because you want it all now? You're at least at an advantage as a newer player, you can choose the direction you want and focus your resources there. Perhaps Ugnaught will stay locked and ungeared until you retire from the game.

After over 3 years, I still have 9 characters to get to 7*. I'm getting close!

He isn't setting a time line, he's simply implying that before you can move forward to the new grinds you should be given the ability to somewhat catch up to the previous characters and factions. Most people have come to terms that their clones/ Jawas/ Phoenix/ droids/ ect well forever remain g8-9 because they are forced to move forward to the most OP, new characters. Nobody is saying that it should take a year to max EVERYTHING out, but people want a chance to finish one grind before a new one begins

I think this all depends on your success in the game....if you're consistently at least top 20 in both arenas and do well in raids, there is time for side non-meta projects.

If you're not as successful and have limited resources, purely prioritizing these non-meta projects will leave you behind the current metas and new toys. The options are either break out the $$$ if you want to add to your own collection or just play at your own pace.

Finally, I think we're really close to most competitive launch players (FTP included) having all farmable characters to 7*. The only farming projects will be new characters and ships. I'm curious what the ripple effect will be for CG.
    You’re bang on about the last part. There are a handful in my guild (I started May 2016) that have <5 toons not at 7*, and a handful of ships. The only thing CG can really do is keep releasing new must-have toons and release events that require those toons a little too close behind them.
  • Apologies, yes I meant gearing not modding. The metalanguage gets overwhelming after a while.

As said above thank you: I want to see a somewhat faster progression that takes out the tremendous grind it is. Grinding is natural, sure, but in 90%+ games I have played since getting 'hardcore' into gaming 20 years ago, even ones such as SWGalaxies could get you say 20% of the characters maxed out in 6 months hard playing. 6 months hard playing this game gets you two? Three? Characters maxed?

Yes, you invest heavily in one team for 6 months, only one of many, only ONE!

I have been in the Arena ranked between 350-550 daily the past year. Clearly I am not competing for the top 100: I just don't want to have to wait so incredibly long to see just one character get to gear 12. It's far too long.

The more new characters are released, the further and further I get left behind, leading to three or four times kicked from guilds as I can't keep up. Next it will be Revan: even next time round in a few months after this time round, I still won't get him. I am troubled with getting a 7* Bounty Hunter team, as well as.... As well as... Too many!

Devs: you are overwhelming us and are giving far too little, or far too much to cope with even if spending money too. How can this be entertaining?

• DarjeloSalas
    9944 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Kameleonic wrote: »
    Apologies, yes I meant gearing not modding. The metalanguage gets overwhelming after a while.

As said above thank you: I want to see a somewhat faster progression that takes out the tremendous grind it is. Grinding is natural, sure, but in 90%+ games I have played since getting 'hardcore' into gaming 20 years ago, even ones such as SWGalaxies could get you say 20% of the characters maxed out in 6 months hard playing. 6 months hard playing this game gets you two? Three? Characters maxed?

I have been in the Arena ranked between 350-550 daily the past year. Clearly I am not competing for the top 100: I just don't want to have to wait so incredibly long to see just one character get to gear 12. It's far too long.

The more new characters are released, the further and further I get left behind, leading to three or four times kicked from guilds as I can't keep up. Next it will be Revan: even next time round in a few months after this time round, I still won't get him. I am troubled with getting a 7* Bounty Hunter team, as well as.... As well as... Too many!

Devs: you are overwhelming us and are giving far too little, or far too much to cope with even if spending money too. How can this be entertaining?

There’s something of a vicious circle here. Guilds completing heroic Sith raid likely have more difficulty getting a toon to g12 than they do filling the gear slots when they are g12.

I promoted AA to g12 this morning, my 49th g12 toon, and instantly all 3 of the left hand side g12 slots had a green plus. I equipped one of them, but I think the other 2 are needed for revan so I’ll wait to see if they’re still spare after I unlock him.

Guilds not completing heroic Sith will likely find it far trickier to fill those left hand side gear slots, which sees them fall further behind the guilds that are completing it.

• Kameleonic wrote: »
    Apologies, yes I meant gearing not modding. The metalanguage gets overwhelming after a while.

Basically, you are absolutely right...

CG is trying to convert as many players to paying customers as possible.

They can’t achieve this equally for all types/groups of players. If they make it easier for you, they lose out on players on the other end...

I would theorise that more competitive players are more likely to spend, and that you fall below the target audience
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I think your numbers are a little off here, the game is 3 years old and veteran f2p have more than 30 characters relatively maxed (maybe not every piece).

The grind is meant to make choices harder, focusing on useful toons that will allow you to do more is a better choice.

This idea that you are falling farther behind is not real. You dont need then all, you may not even need some of the new ones, for a fair amount of time, if at all.

The grind is there to incentivize spending, and also reward it and to a lesser extent veterancy. They have also made the grind better over time, so new players that "need more" may not realize they are actually getting more, and with the right choices can be in a better situation quicker than we could back in the day.
  • Perhaps the game does not suit to your standard of lifestyle then.

For someone like me (who played that Star Wars force collection card game since its release), I am fascinated by the ability to try and focus my collection on characters I like and enjoy. I am mostly F2P (spent a bit on Mission shards mind ya) and am having a blast getting to focus my time into characters I am interested in and they still be viable in arena and raids and events and what not.

Granted I am a star wars collector in real life and the value of patience is not lost on me. Yes gearing takes time for people who do not want to pay, but remember this. Its not the destination that matters, its the journey there that is important.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    It’s the difference between buying a new car or building from the ground up.
    First person gets to go wherever they want whenever they want, look cool, have fun.
    The other person is walking until they finish building the car.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    i wouldn't mind if they increased the rate of progression a bit more, especially for older characters.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • I think what the op is really trying to say here is, "Dang CG can I catch my breath?"
  • I think that getting a character to gear 12 isn't a bad thing, but I bounce around from teams or characters, so I don't think I can accurately gauge time. We shall see when I unlock Revan. I have not started to hoard gear for him. I should be able to see how long gear 12 does take.
  • leef wrote: »
    i wouldn't mind if they increased the rate of progression a bit more, especially for older characters.

I think this is an area they could easily address. There’s no reason characters like Wedge and Lando shouldn’t be available to purchase in the stores. This would free up energy to focus on newer characters or gear. It’s not like those older characters are game breakers at this point.
  • I personally take some weird addictive joy in the grind. The slow progress helps enhance the sense of accomplishment I get when see a toon go from “meh” to ringed with gold. As a elder player who is mostly f2p, I take the game for what it is and keep coming back day in and day out to enjoy the friendships I’ve built over the years with my guildies, the little wins like making top 50 in arena or beating a stronger opponent in GA - to taking what was an under-utilised (and in my case very underpowered) team like Ewoks and slowly getting them ready for the return of C-3PO and seeing how they stack up in TW.
    I agree that sometimes things can slow down to a snails pace and that it can get frustrating at times - I missed out on Revan the first time and now I’m ready for his return only for him to no doubtedly be semi obsolete in a few weeks - but I made peace with that some time ago that without emptying my wallet and causing my wife’s head to explode with rage that I’m never going to be “right there” in amongst the competitive meta of the whales/dolphins with a decked out list full of powerhouse toons.

All of this is not to say that I haven’t had my greivences over the years or that your point isn’t valid however, for me I try to plan well, enjoy it the game the best way I can and give a thumbs up when the devs give us something juicy like double drops or freebies for their mistakes.

Good luck OP and try to embrace the grind 👍😉
  • Collecting materials for unlock characters and content has been around for a while now. Allot of companies find it to be a more stable business model. As far as the speed at which you unlock them, that's based on how quickly content is able to be churned out by a developer. They didn't use to have everything on hard nodes but now they do. Simply what that means is they found development wasn't keeping up with the player base so they shifted a bit. It is what it is, should they give new players an advantage to catch up, I dunno honestly I can see good and bad in that.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

This idea that you are falling farther behind is not real. .

GA, Arena, Raid scores say this is false

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

This idea that you are falling farther behind is not real. .

GA, Arena, Raid scores say this is false

In arena you are only facing people who started at the same time as you. You are not falling behind those people just because you can't catch up with those who started years earlier.

In GA you are facing people with the same GP as you. When you are a newer player, your GP is low, and you are going to face people who have similarly low GP. You are not falling behind people who have been playing seriously for years. You might eventually be paired with people who have been playing casually for years, but you aren't behind them; if anything you should have an advantage since you had the ability to focus only on the currently useful characters.

Raid scores are a function of your guild. If you are in an appropriate guild with people around your level, you aren't falling behind them, as they are in the same boat as you. If you are in a guild with people who are far above you and are basically carrying you, then getting heroic rewards long before you would naturally obtain them ought to actually place you *ahead* of most of the people you are actually competing with.