Watch video ads.

Many other mobile games allow the players to watch ads for in game benefits. This gives free-to-play players a way to contribute to the financial success of the game (in a small way) without actually having to pay money, just time. Has this lack in SWGoH ever been explored/explained? I'd love to watch a 30 second ad to get an extra daily challenge, or some extra energy, or maybe even crystals. It would help the game developers get money through the ad revenue, get me extra goodies, and all without breaking my bank.

Replies

• CoSrenegade
    195 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    please don't !!!
    That's why I like swgoh …

You can watch 5 ads max. and get kinda 50 crystals from that, the benefits are mediocre in comparison. You won't get e.g. 5,000 crystals for watching 25 ads per day.
    Circle of Sin. 2 Teams. This is the way! cos.rocks
  • Kerrigan wrote: »
    Many other mobile games allow the players to watch ads for in game benefits.

Many other games are bad and need ad revenue to survive.

Galaxy of Heroes isn’t bad and gives free players plenty of room to compete so doesn’t need it. Besides—folks who spend can watch ads, too, and will just get more out of it than you.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Why are you suggesting this? One of my favorite parts of swgoh is the fact that there’s no ads. Now CG will see this and say, "the community wants this! Let’s put ads in!"
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    I already get enough ads in this game as it is about some game changer youtube videos. We don't need more
  • Kerrigan
    54 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Maybe I suggest it because ads don't bother me. Maybe I suggest it because I have more time than money. Maybe I suggest it because it's completely optional. Maybe I think having whales and krakens be the only source of income is bad for the game. Maybe I think that having thousands of players contributing in small ways is better than a few players contributing enormous amounts. Is the possibility of a 30 second completely optional ad really that bad when it could provide additional benefits for players who are falling behind?

Right now the business model MUST be to have the introduction of new characters outpace the rate at which gear can be acquired in a free to play manner so that the spenders have incentive to spend. By introducing ads, the gear acquisition pace can be altered because even the free to play players are contributing to the financial success of the game. I would only support ads if the pace of gear acquisition was altered to allow ad watchers to (slowly) catch up.

So basically, there would be an additional tier of players. Right now krakens have everything immediately and fully maxed as soon as it is released. Whales max the important characters, but work slowly on less valuable characters, spending on them only when they become relevant. Dolphins spend more carefully than whales, and generally only on tremendously overpowered characters, and only when their funding allows it. Each of these types of players are spending money in the game and because of their spending, their gearing is progress is generally pretty high. In the current system, there are then the free to play players. They are behind and the gap is increasing because of the character release cadence already staying ahead of their ability to gear characters. Over time, each character will be fully unlocked, fully starred, but geared? Impossible. They just can't keep up. By introducing ads, the ad-watcher tier can be introduced. This tier of players won't be spending money, but they will be watching ads. Through the introduction of this tier, I would hope to have the gear acquisition rate adjusted so that watching ads allows this tier of players to keep pace with or slightly outpace the character introductions (which I believe is the largest income source from krakens/whales). So the ad-watcher tier will eventually catch up and be ready to gear the next character.
  • GeneralNueSence
    21 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Please no. The games that do that are cancerous. I'm F2P and I can square up because I manage my energy and resources.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    Maybe I suggest it because ads don't bother me. Maybe I suggest it because I have more time than money. Maybe I suggest it because it's completely optional. Maybe I think having whales and krakens be the only source of income is bad for the game. Maybe I think that having thousands of players contributing in small ways is better than a few players contributing enormous amounts. Is the possibility of a 30 second completely optional ad really that bad when it could provide additional benefits for players who are falling behind?

Right now the business model MUST be to have the introduction of new characters outpace the rate at which gear can be acquired in a free to play manner so that the spenders have incentive to spend. By introducing ads, the gear acquisition pace can be altered because even the free to play players are contributing to the financial success of the game. I would only support ads if the pace of gear acquisition was altered to allow ad watchers to (slowly) catch up.

So basically, there would be an additional tier of players. Right now krakens have everything immediately and fully maxed as soon as it is released. Whales max the important characters, but work slowly on less valuable characters, spending on them only when they become relevant. Dolphins spend more carefully than whales, and generally only on tremendously overpowered characters, and only when their funding allows it. Each of these types of players are spending money in the game and because of their spending, their gearing is progress is generally pretty high. In the current system, there are then the free to play players. They are behind and the gap is increasing because of the character release cadence already staying ahead of their ability to gear characters. Over time, each character will be fully unlocked, fully starred, but geared? Impossible. They just can't keep up. By introducing ads, the ad-watcher tier can be introduced. This tier of players won't be spending money, but they will be watching ads. Through the introduction of this tier, I would hope to have the gear acquisition rate adjusted so that watching ads allows this tier of players to keep pace with or slightly outpace the character introductions (which I believe is the largest income source from krakens/whales). So the ad-watcher tier will eventually catch up and be ready to gear the next character.

Ads would never be able to offset the income in any sort of significant way that would impact the price model for anything that goes on right now.

Thinking that this game needs to change its business model to make more money or to make the game healthier financially is not really an argument. They seem to be doing just fine.

Krakens are not the base income, that is supplied by the many "whales" and other light spenders that are regularly buying packs to farm gear and other things, not just for events or new toons, ads wouldnt change this and could play into said base but would not increase it.

Ads would be a bad idea, the would kill of players and would end up doing more harm than good this late in the game.
    Many other mobile games allow the players to watch ads for in game benefits. This gives free-to-play players a way to contribute to the financial success of the game (in a small way) without actually having to pay money, just time. Has this lack in SWGoH ever been explored/explained? I'd love to watch a 30 second ad to get an extra daily challenge, or some extra energy, or maybe even crystals. It would help the game developers get money through the ad revenue, get me extra goodies, and all without breaking my bank.

No no no and no , lol may I suggest the award for worst idea of the year to be presented here.
  • I’d have to say no to ads, I like how it’s ad free currently.
  • Oh my God, trust me, they are getting more than enough cash.
  • Boba_The_Fetter
    3393 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    They do this in star trek timelines very similar game, you don't have to watch the ads just they are there available to watch offering, extra energy, extra free sim, extra chromium, bronzium etc. I wouldn't be Against it
  • It doesn't look very aestheticly pleasing though, which even I'm surprised to say is a big deal for me
  • No thanks.
  • We’re playing in a cantina for crying out loud, you don’t watch ads in cantinas for rewards.
    Besides, the goal of the devs is to cut down time people have to spend on the game. Ads would be so annoying and time consuming.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • No No No No No!!!
    The lack of ads is one of the best things about the game.
  • For the people who are saying ads are bad, why? So long as they are totally optional, how is it bad for people to have options to spend time instead of money for rewards? There's really no option to do so at the moment. You can only spend crystals to get more energy to spend at the holotables. What if you could instead watch an add? Maybe a 30 second ad awards 20 energy (so one extra sim of a hard node). Wouldn't that be an option that some might like to take to preserve their crystals?

I just don't see why "The lack of ads is one of the best things about the game." I would like some more explanation.
    For the people who are saying ads are bad, why? So long as they are totally optional, how is it bad for people to have options to spend time instead of money for rewards? There's really no option to do so at the moment. You can only spend crystals to get more energy to spend at the holotables. What if you could instead watch an add? Maybe a 30 second ad awards 20 energy (so one extra sim of a hard node). Wouldn't that be an option that some might like to take to preserve their crystals?

I just don't see why "The lack of ads is one of the best things about the game." I would like some more explanation.

"Give a mouse a cookie" protocol.
    If you suddenly start introducing ads as optional, then the publisher starts asking why ads aren't implemented more to build revenue. Then suddenly you boot up the game a year later and you're greeted by an ad before you can play the game, then an ad to collect bonus energy. Ads are death to a mobile game.
  • As a free to play player I progress through the game just fine as it is. We don't need ads, acievements and quests give enough crystals for 90% of us free to play players to be content and not complain
  • There's no such thing as optional ads. Once you implement benefits to watch ads, I'd be forced to watch it in order to match up against any benefits that all other players have access to.

Them 5 free Bronziums a day already used to be ads, you had to scroll past all their advertisements(aka bundles) before you could open Bronziums. Now that it's the first item on the list, I've not had to see their advertisements in a long long time and I'm very happy.
  • Kerrigan
    54 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    So we have the slippery slope argument and the "it's not optional" arguments. The slippery slope is in fact a logical fallacy. The "it's not optional" argument, while not a true fallacy, is simply you choosing to do something. It's your choice to do an optional thing. Not having that option is what takes the choice away. Ancient Romans didn't have the option of driving a car to work, they rode horses or walked. You could walk or ride a horse too. If you instead choose to drive to work, it's because you have decided it is cost-effective to do so. If you choose to watch an ad, it's because you have decided it's worth your time to do so. Therefore you are benefiting from the existence of ads. Basic economics.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    So we have the slippery slope argument and the "it's not optional" arguments. The slippery slope is in fact a logical fallacy. The "it's not optional" argument, while not a true fallacy, is simply you choosing to do something. It's your choice to do an optional thing. Not having that option is what takes the choice away. Ancient Romans didn't have the option of driving a car to work, they rode horses or walked. You could walk or ride a horse too. If you instead choose to drive to work, it's because you have decided it is cost-effective to do so. If you choose to watch an ad, it's because you have decided it's worth your time to do so. Therefore you are benefiting from the existence of ads. Basic economics.

In a game like this, any advantage is an advantage. If you want to be a top player, you will need to watch ads if they give you any bonus. So people who dont want them is because they want to be competitive without feeling forced to watch ads for the bonuses they would have to take advantage of.

Sure a penny isnt going to make you rich, but over 3 years those pennies can really add up.
  • There used to be a daily crystal purchase, right? How much was it and how many crystals did it give? What if purchasing that sort of thing gave all the ad benefits without the ads (you are paying for premium content either with your wallet or your time). I'm not saying one ad gives all the daily crystals, you would watch several ads over the course of the day to receive the full amount (just like the free bronziums), but by purchasing the daily crystal pack, you don't have any ads to watch.

There are lots of ways to make video ads less of an imposition on paying players. That is just one way. And choice is still a choice. There are lots of people who gear characters that they like that are not meta characters solely because they like them. They are choosing a non-optimal path. That's their choice. If somebody doesn't want to watch ads, that is also their choice. They have decided that it's not worth it to them.

So long as the ads are totally optional (as opposed to popups), and perhaps if the paying customers were given an option to buy their way out of ads (and still receive the benefits), I don't see how having more options is bad.