Regarding Heroine Bundle Purchases

Replies

• I know just trolling :P Really happy with my bronzium packs so far.
  • Ayeeeeee!!!! I'm getting free stuff?????!? EA and partners are always giving me free stuff! I got Dead Space 2 and Tomb Raider becuase Sim City was such a bust. **** word!
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    We are planning on releasing the compensation on Tuesday afternoon (PST). Still discussing the exact numbers.
    Thanks for the reply. One request: if you are planning to give out chromium cards or other specific items that can be purchased in the store, please just give us the equivalent crystals instead. Some of us really hate the random cards and would much prefer to use the crystals on other things.
    Thanks.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Not because of any legal obligation to do so, but because we think it's the right thing to do. -Aaron

That's golden and should be greatly applauded. So many mobile games, as has been mentioned here, don't take care of their customers at a high level. Anyone with any concerns about SW long-term or trusting this team with your entertainment dollar should feel much better after this post. I'm even comforted a bit by the nerf. Takes conviction to nerf a pack toon so early in the game's release. None of us want a game that gets terribly out of balance. That takes the fun out of the game and makes it too simple. Fantastic post Aaron and thanks for being on top of this.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Agree with Johnny.. the gesture means a lot.
    But I still think that nerf was excessive. Changes should be made gradually and carefully. -40% and -50% are major nerfs.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    I've stayed out of the whole nerfed purchase argument until now. Yes, I did buy the Heroine pack and yes I think the nerf was a little much. When I am doing a challenge now and I get hit with that attack that takes the whole team down to 1 hitpoint, Barriss only heals them for about 600 points now which is horrible. However, I don't have her skill ranked up all the way yet so I can't complain.

I have played enough games and purchased enough in-game perks to know that things will get adjusted for balance. As mentioned earlier, it's not a TOS thing it is an online multiplayer game that all players should know about when getting into these kinds of games. Before online games, you saw the same thing with collectible card games. Magic the Gathering released a card that people would spend $2000 to get and then they turned around and said it was banned in their official tournaments. If something is released that completely breaks the balance of the game and gives the paying players absolute edge over non-paying players, it SHOULD BE adjusted.

I for one, thank the dev team for offering a token gift in replacement for this in acknowledgement of the grief that it has caused. I am still hoping that after they get new data in post-nerf that they will adjust her again back in the other direction but I realize that it will take some time to get the numbers in see how she does now compared to the other healers.
  • Man y'all sound like a bunch of children having a debate about whose ice cream taste better at recess. Calm down
  • Open_Palm52
    195 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I would have preferred her attack be buffed to offset the nerf. As she is now, I don't use her, and that's not to say it's impossible to make use of her, she just doesn't work well with my teams. I cringe when I think of all the mats and training droids I put into the character.

On the subject of drops from packs, I'd really like to see something like a guaranteed 4* after every 20 x4, or every 10 x8 pulled. Other games offer something like this and I'd actually buy packs if given that incentive.
  • Frankly, I'm a bit **** about spending all kinds of ability upgrade mats, remotes, and credits to buff a character that is now near useless. She's currently only in my squad because I put so much into her instead of other "balanced" light side characters and I don't have the mats/remotes to build up another preferred character to replace her.
    I got her from a bronzium pack, which is cool, glad I didn't spend the $50, and I think those players have every right to be more **** than I am, but I still think those of us who had her and find her now distasteful (to say the least) because of a nuclear nerf should have the option to completely reset this character to base level 1 everything and have all of the gear/mats/remotes/credits refunded. I could definitely have put them to better use, and if I'd known that I would have gotten the absolute shaft building this character, I never would have started building her.
  • I purchased the heroine bundle and was displeased when they nerfed Barriss. This response makes me much happier about my decision to spend on the game, regardless of what they send out as compensation.

I'm glad they're taking their players' opinions into account.
  • We are planning on releasing the compensation on Tuesday afternoon (PST). Still discussing the exact numbers.

I just want to chime in on the TOS issue. Great and interesting debate about that. On a kind of... philosophical level, though, what nobody mentioned (I think) is that regardless of what could be justified via TOS, we (CG) shouldn't want to use that as justification. In other words, we want to do what's right and fair for the community as much as we can, and we should try to avoid getting into a situation where we use the TOS to justify actions over any other reason.

So, as has been mentioned, we rebalanced a lot of characters because it was the right thing to do. Barriss happened to be one of them. Now, we are compensating players who bought the Heroine pack. Not because of any legal obligation to do so, but because we think it's the right thing to do. We will continue to do what we think is best for the game... and we will incorporate this whole situation (the OP, the nerf, the Heroine Pack, etc.) into our mindset going forward to determine how and when we make changes, and how we communicate about them to players.

We want this game to have an active and passionate community of players for a very long time. Keeping the game balanced and the players happy are two primary ingredients that will contribute to achieving that goal.

-Aaron

Great post. Thanks Aaron. Does the comp package come with an optional Santa hat I can put on Barriss? That'd be a nice part of a comp package ;)
  • I agree it's not just the money wasted in the character itself, but also the resources pumped into building her up, which is even more frustrating.

Good response from CG though.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    MackemSLAM wrote: »
    I agree it's not just the money wasted in the character itself, but also the resources pumped into building her up, which is even more frustrating.

What about all the GW resources and SA resources you gained by having her "broken"? It goes both ways.

It's not like you didn't gain any benefit from having her for the past while.
  • Barrok wrote: »
    I agree it's not just the money wasted in the character itself, but also the resources pumped into building her up, which is even more frustrating.

What about all the GW resources and SA resources you gained by having her "broken"? It goes both ways.

Some of us had her only a few days or less... If she was balanced to still be very useful rather than a one trick pony, I think most people wouldn't need compensation. If everyone had her for a month or more, and then they over-nerfed her, I think people wouldn't need compensation (though would still very much appreciate the gesture). I had her for a few days.. Was it helpful for the few days? Sure, but pretty much any advantage I had by it went directly back into advancing her.

In any case, I very much appreciate that Aaron and the CG team have a longer term vision of building a loyal playerbase. I also appreciate balancing of characters to make a well developed game, but I think the backlash of balancing would be far less severe if you:
    1. Inform the playerbase as much as possible. Allow for community discussion to at least be heard before making large changes. "We plan to ____" (You don't have to follow them if it's not in the best interest of the game, but at least consider the input).
    2. Make small systematic changes to balance, rather than large ones. There's no way that just coming up with, "Hey let's double DMs damage to counter Jedis!" is a small systematic change, nor is reducing the heal strength of Barriss by 40-50%. Combining both is like Mike Tyson hitting you in the gut then Ken immediately follows up with a Shoryuken.

As a side note, Could you please explain how certain stats work for certain characters? Health Steal, Potency, Special Damage as examples. There are characters that have wasted many slots putting in Health Steal which hopefully I'm wrong, but there's no noticeable benefit to it. Potency and Special Damage are also useless to characters which have no special offensive attacks if I understand this correctly (ie Barriss). It should not be a part of the character's kit if it has zero value.

Anyway, not trying to sound negative at all, and hopefully it sounded more constructive. Again, I appreciate the effort into building a loyal community that can trust your decisions and trust in investing further into this game. Thank you.
  • Starkiller
    31 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Barrok wrote: »

This "gained a benefit while having her" argument is such a fallacy. She was never "broken". It is a simple fact that she was advertised with certain features, people purchased the pack primarily to get her, and now she is no longer what she was advertised to be.

Let me use a real world example. If you bought a really nice car and two weeks later the dealer told you to bring it in and they took out the navigation system, air conditioning and anti-lock brakes because it was never meant to be in your model and handed it back to you, you wouldn't be happy would you? I mean, you had the benefit of all those features for two weeks, that makes it all good right? A lot of folks here seem to look down on folks that have put real money into the game because they didn't want to themselves, but realize this: the game will die if those people don't pay for the in-game items, so be grateful that they do.
  • winterme
    18 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Starkiller wrote: »

This "gained a benefit while having her" argument is such a fallacy. She was never "broken". It is a simple fact that she was advertised with certain features, people purchased the pack primarily to get her, and now she is no longer what she was advertised to be.

Let me use a real world example. If you bought a really nice car and two weeks later the dealer told you to bring it in and they took out the navigation system, air conditioning and anti-lock brakes because it was never meant to be in your model and handed it back to you, you wouldn't be happy would you? I mean, you had the benefit of all those features for two weeks, that makes it all good right? A lot of folks here seem to look down on folks that have put real money into the game because they didn't want to themselves, but realize this: the game will die if those people don't pay for the in-game items, so be grateful that they do.

that is perfect!! Yes i saved time to get where i had to go ( GPS ) yes i was nice and cool for 2 weeks ( AC ) and yup drove safe for 2 weeks as well ( ABS ) ........ YES I am going to be upset that you want it back and plan on removing what I just bought BEFORE it had time to settle in.
    +1 Starkiller love it

and +1 to the people that SUPPORT ($) the game they are playing instead of complaining you are the people that make this keep going! To all of you MERRY CHRISTMAS!

and to the F2P that are saying that we shouldn't get any compensation well.... I humbly request you DON'T reply to me as you will not get a response
  • The sad thing is none of this would be necessary if you don't swing the nerf bat when someone at sub 60 comes crying because their gear lvl 3, level 48 ugnaught/ewok squad got creamed by a fully upgraded, 4*+ veteran team that just so happened to be led by Bariss. So many people come flying here whining without even getting to the point where their opinion could actually be founded on something solid.

Now that I'm 60, it's a lot more evident that the balance and options seem almost endless. I value the thoughts and opinions of those players who have been playing this for months rather than the ones for weeks. But, like I saw in Warcraft, a couple of vocal inexperienced people ruin it.

There was a really nice post on Bariss and I apologize that the author's name eludes me right now, but he provided some great points on why she was NOT OP. That was sadly ignored and now you have this customer service mess.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Kabbage wrote: »
    There was a really nice post on Bariss and I apologize that the author's name eludes me right now, but he provided some great points on why she was NOT OP. That was sadly ignored and now you have this customer service mess.

The sad thing is that they still maintain that what they did to Barriss was fair. They have offered compensation, which is nice, but not to back off on the excessive nerf. I'd have preferred the latter, personally. More than that, the fact that they think dropping a healer's ability to heal by 50% is okay to do, while also dramatically buffing anti-Jedi characters in the same "Order 66" patch, gives me serious pause about how balancing decisions are made.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    Kabbage wrote: »

The sad thing is that they still maintain that what they did to Barriss was fair. They have offered compensation, which is nice, but not to back off on the excessive nerf. I'd have preferred the latter, personally. More than that, the fact that they think dropping a healer's ability to heal by 50% is okay to do, while also dramatically buffing anti-Jedi characters in the same "Order 66" patch, gives me serious pause about how balancing decisions are made.

Agreed. Regardless of how you got the character, what they did destroyed her. Once you found the way to fight her, a team with her in it was very manageable, and beatable. She was already worthless in the damage she did, and to reduce her effectiveness in what she was designed to do, to such a degree was puzzling.
  • Starkiller wrote: »

First, you did gain a benefit while having her. She makes the game so much easier (and still does). You would not have bought her if you didn't believe she would help you out more than not having her.

Second, that is the worst real world example ever. Cars are tangible goods, they are not digital goods. Digital games can have changes. Are you telling me you don't want any patches in the future? No new features? No new characters? You want the game to be stale? No, you wouldn't expect that to happen because the game is going to evolve. Part of that evolution is game balancing.

Also, I have spent money on this game, I just didn't buy barriss. I am not against giving a refund/returning something to the users who had their purchase changed.

What I am frustrated by is so many people complaining about all the time they spent on gear and leveling while failing to acknowledge that there were many positives they gained by having 'op' barriss on their roster. No one is asking to have their time spent with the character rolled back....
  • Many people who bought her had her only a few days, that doesn't translate into a big advantage since you're still upgrading her. Compensation only covers a period of less than 4 weeks (21 Nov-18 Dec) so at the outside, those getting something for their troubles, had her for a month. Anyone who got her before the 21st is **** out of luck, rightly so, they DID reap the benefits of having her on the roster as she was.

I myself had her only 5 or 6 days, I'm not one of those carping about refunds nor was I crying about the nerf, **** happens.

I do however appreciate that EA/CG has seen the error of their ways, learned their lesson (hopefully), and is going to make a good faith gesture to those that paid for her and, most importantly, are going to rethink the way they balance characters so soon after having them in a premium pack.

I would have been fine either way but it's a good move that has helped bolster my confidence in buying packs in the future (actually bought the Kylo pack today).
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Barrok, it's normal. People would exagerate things as a bargaining power. Barriss was one of thise chars that couldn't be properly starred, and didn't need many stars due to her huge HP pool. So at least people at least disn't easte 3 weeks farming higher levels. By that account she was cheap.

What is true is that her usefulness has gone down the drain. The only place I use her is GW as a B-Character to heal a badly balanced HP pool, or as cannon fodder to make other weaker chars last longer. The fact that her cool down is 5 turns is devastating. I think the nerf could have included a cooldown buff.

She was never a bug threat to me, no terribly useful. She was a tank that would die lonely and slowly without much recourse. Doing no damage, heavy healing was needed. Since she doesn't threaten in any way, her presence only means FOCUS damage to erase enemy one at a time. Her passive was a bit too much though...her special was ok, and her Heal-on-attach was proper compensation for her wet noddle damage.
  • If Bariss is so useless now then why are 11/13 of my allies level 50-60 using her as leader. She is clearly still very useful.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • If Bariss is so useless now then why are 11/13 of my allies level 50-60 using her as leader. She is clearly still very useful.

Like I said, it's play to win players crying that their super op character is just a decent character now. According to them Barriss wasn't op at all and now she's completely useless they exaggerate so much.

Probably because it takes time to groom a replacement if they only focused on their main 5 PvP toons.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762

Probably because it takes time to groom a replacement if they only focused on their main 5 PvP toons.

No she's still very viable, I dont know if it's a glitch or not, but if the whole team is still alive, and I'm targeting one specfic character and my ability block misses or I can't down the guy in one round, Barriss heals that char from 10-20% to like 70-90%.

Like I said, it's play to win players crying that their super op character is just a decent character now. According to them Barriss wasn't op at all and now she's completely useless they exaggerate so much.

She wasn't overpowered, she was powerful. There is a massive difference.
  • returnoftheewok
    469 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    If Bariss is so useless now then why are 11/13 of my allies level 50-60 using her as leader. She is clearly still very useful.

Nope she was OP, and just because she can be dealt with doesn't mean she's not OP. OP doesn't mean unbeatable.

Nope she was OP, and just because she can be dealt with doesn't mean she's not OP. OP doesn't mean unbeatable.

If I was beating most teams who used Bariss when she was 'OP' then she can't have been very powerful. She has one good move which she can maybe use once or twice if she's lucky per battle.

If I was beating most teams who used Bariss when she was 'OP' then she can't have been very powerful. She has one good move which she can maybe use once or twice if she's lucky per battle.
    Like I said, just because she's beatable doesn't mean she's not OP. You were playing against bad teams. Bad Barriss teams are easy to deal with, there are loads of them in the top 100, but with the right characters she was far too overpowered, still beatable but like I said overpowered, and anyone that used her should have seen the nerf coming from a mile away.
This discussion has been closed.