Is the arena getting too boring?

Prev1
With each introduced character/ship becoming a meta I have to ask is the arena too boring. With the Falcon released all the top slots in fleet arena are Home one, Biggs, Falcon and hounds tooth in some faction or another. then with the 2nd coming of Revan almost everyone in top 50 are Revan teams. i do not know about anyone else but battling the same battles over and over again are not fun. i miss the days when I started and everyone had different characters so it ws uncommon to hit the same lineup twice in a day. Too bad they do not give bonuses for uniqueness of lineup the encourage people to switch it up a bit. And before someone says well the Next release will knock down Revan that does not solve the issue everyone will go to the lineup and those who don't have the characters there Revan teams just get pushed down farther on the list so you will still have a lot just in lower spots .

Replies

• Stick
    647 posts Member
    How could things result differently ? You probably fought other teams when you started because at your rank everyone around you 1 didn’t have access to the strongest character or 2 didn’t know what the hell they are doing ? I still see people join my guild who have characters in their arena leader slot with no leader ability. Makes every team look different when you’re at that stage in the game.
    It’s unreasonable to think that the game could work in a way that no single team would be better than the rest. There will always be a top team , we are close to a Rock Paper Scissors game , which is good enough for me.
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Stick wrote: »
    How could things result differently ? You probably fought other teams when you started because at your rank everyone around you 1 didn’t have access to the strongest character or 2 didn’t know what the hell they are doing ? I still see people join my guild who have characters in their arena leader slot with no leader ability. Makes every team look different when you’re at that stage in the game.
    It’s unreasonable to think that the game could work in a way that no single team would be better than the rest. There will always be a top team , we are close to a Rock Paper Scissors game , which is good enough for me.

I played another game for a while that actually did really well at not making new cards the meta. When I would check the top ranks, each team was usually different. I think making all characters viable would be great for the game and the players, but I doubt it would ever happen.

I understand the OP’s frustration that all top teams are the same. But the current business model is built to play on people’s tendency for addiction.
  • Bevel_Lemelisk
    202 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    It is built on people ego of wanting to be the best and willing to pay for it. All I am saying is if more teams were close and the result depended on your skill on how to use the squad it would be more fun for me. Like if they were to Release Darth Revan don't make him Stronger than a Revan Team but make him the same so if the AI was doing the battle it would have a 50% of winning. Then With a Separatist rework again make it so they could beat a Revan but Revan could also beat them depending on game play. Just saying diversity is the spice of life and if something is too bland people will move on.
  • We are at the end of a meta cycle with Revan. Revan is still the meta but you can still climb to the top with multiple squads including Traya with BSF, CLS, and even teams like JTR and Zaul/Trio. Ever since CLS meta ended, CG has done a pretty good job of having really good but not unbeatable metas.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    it's never been this fun
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • I'd be more worried about all the higher ups in EA selling off there shares in the millions right now.
  • I don’t recall the arenas ever being fun. Basically it’s meta shift, fight the same team. Meta shift, fight the new same team. Meta shift.... so it’s boring because it’s the same 5 on 5 format every day, against the same people and teams. The only variety comes from a meta shift. Personally if I didn’t have to do arena battles for daily or achievements, I’d avoid it like the plague. I know, crystals! One can actually play the game and NOT use them.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    I'd be more worried about all the higher ups in EA selling off there shares in the millions right now.

seems legit. not like the game is making millions and millions of dollars............
  • I don’t recall the arenas ever being fun. Basically it’s meta shift, fight the same team. Meta shift, fight the new same team. Meta shift.... so it’s boring because it’s the same 5 on 5 format every day, against the same people and teams. The only variety comes from a meta shift. Personally if I didn’t have to do arena battles for daily or achievements, I’d avoid it like the plague. I know, crystals! One can actually play the game and NOT use them.

Agreed. I loathe my daily arena battles to meet daily reward requirement.
  • i miss the days when I started and everyone had different characters so it ws uncommon to hit the same lineup twice in a day.

That's not even the case for new players now. Everyone gets Phoenix first....then they all switch over to EP teams. There's always been a meta team.
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about all the higher ups in EA selling off there shares in the millions right now.

seems legit. not like the game is making millions and millions of dollars............

I hope this was meant as sarcasm as this game brings in 10's of millions a month on average if you analyze the data from Apple and Google.
  • I agree arena is stale. People only participate as a chore to get their crystal income. I don’t think there is a single thing they could do to fix it, but I think there are a bunch of small changes they could make to fix it.

For example, I’d love there to be better counter teams. And when I say counter, I don’t just mean a team that can beat Revan or Milleniun Falcon. I mean a team that counters it so well that Revan or Falcon can’t even beat it on offense, but it’s not OP and isn’t actually that great if it’s not facing that team it’s meant to counter. This would help keep 1 team for overrunning arena.
  • Arena is only Revan’s squads
  • With each introduced character/ship becoming a meta I have to ask is the arena too boring. With the Falcon released all the top slots in fleet arena are Home one, Biggs, Falcon and hounds tooth in some faction or another. then with the 2nd coming of Revan almost everyone in top 50 are Revan teams. i do not know about anyone else but battling the same battles over and over again are not fun. i miss the days when I started and everyone had different characters so it ws uncommon to hit the same lineup twice in a day. Too bad they do not give bonuses for uniqueness of lineup the encourage people to switch it up a bit. And before someone says well the Next release will knock down Revan that does not solve the issue everyone will go to the lineup and those who don't have the characters there Revan teams just get pushed down farther on the list so you will still have a lot just in lower spots .

I Completely disagree! Yes Revan dominates right now but I can easily place top 10 with chew crew and 3P0, it's all a matter of mods! I am a veteran player not a whale so I'm not paying my way to the top. There are also a number of Treya teams other CLS Finn leads and even an NS team in my top 50. I actually think the devs have done a great job of making multiple viable teams for squad arena. Normally the Meta is the Meta, 50 identical teams at the top and that is not the case. As for the new toon that comes out making Revan look weak... That's the game! If they didn't release new meta toons the game would get stale very quickly as has happened in the past. This game is not all about arena, as someone who has played for over 3 years I can assure one thing the devs have done is consistantly create new uses for characters by continuously creating new areas of the game to play. Having said all that, Revan is a pain to all and I look forward to his downfall... Bring on sith lord Jar Jar
  • Arena isn't about the 5 chars you pick most of the time. It's about the 30 mods you assign to them. Therein lies the skill
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »

I hope this was meant as sarcasm as this game brings in 10's of millions a month on average if you analyze the data from Apple and Google.

that was my point. people thinking the game is dying aren't rational
  • NoobSaibot12321
    191 posts Member
    edited February 2019

I didn't say CG was dieing, EA might be in trouble tho. ;)

CG is a great company and I would love for nothing more that EA not be a part of it. But you know that pesky license and all.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

I didn't say CG was dieing, EA might be in trouble tho. ;)

CG is a great company and I would love for nothing more that EA not be a part of it. But you know that pesky license and all.

uh, ok. not sure what you mean
  • Only EA games is licensed to make star wars games. So in order for CG to make a star wars game they need to be affiliated with EA
  • Arena is 4-5 minutes of grueling aoe, heal, and specials. Ships too. I wish both arenas were 1-2 minutes tops.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Arena is 4-5 minutes of grueling aoe, heal, and specials. Ships too. I wish both arenas were 1-2 minutes tops.

subtle having-revan brag is subtle. wp
  • DarthJelly
    66 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I think character arena is the most diverse it's ever been at the minute and I quite enjoy it.

Fleet Arena is another story. If you don't have Bossk and the Falcon forget about it. I think that's down to there being to few ships and ship farming being to much of a drain to be honest.
    I tried to run with the fleet meta once and farmed Geos. That meta lasted about a week after I got them farmed. That farm set me back elsewhere so vowed to never chase another meta again. To be fair they still hold their own in the top 50 but the more Bossks I see the less I'm able to win, eventually I'll just get crowded out because my Bossk isn't up to snuff.

Purists could argue that's my fault but then I'll fire back and say... 1. I'm not able to sink 100's into this game to keep up with all the meta shifts and 2. I've been playing 1yr now and have been grinding for the Thrawns CLS's etc etc and have just unlocked JTR this time. I've done as much as I can as fast as I can and would say I'm in good shape but my resource will only stretch so far. My BH were adequate before Bossk came along and coupled with the fact ships has not been a priority for me, he didn't get the love.
    He's being farmed now for the Chewie event but I'm not farming his ship. I can't spare the resources.

Maybe my attitude will change IF they dump a ton of new ship content and actually make the fleet store and fleet nodes pure ship farming. That way we don't have to stretch other energies too far, but for me right now the Geos are doing a job, when they stop they stop, I've too much going on elsewhere and I think THAT is the fundamental problem with Fleet Arena.
  • DavieJG wrote: »
    Arena isn't about the 5 chars you pick most of the time. It's about the 30 mods you assign to them. Therein lies the skill

If it is more about the mods than the team, prove it. Show us how well you rank with a CUP team or jawas or anything that isn't current meta, I will wait for you to complain about your drop in rank.
  • I agree arena makes a bottleneck for crystals, I don't think that crystals are that vital to the game, only to save some time. Just my opinion.
  • That's true. Everything's 100% achievable FTP. Just takes longer. I don't mind dropping some money into a game I play daily but it's only for specific gear or the odd marquee pack, I find for character farming spending crystals just isn't worth it. Just my opinion of course.
  • DarthJelly wrote: »
    That's true. Everything's 100% achievable FTP. Just takes longer. I don't mind dropping some money into a game I play daily but it's only for specific gear or the odd marquee pack, I find for character farming spending crystals just isn't worth it. Just my opinion of course.

I agree. I think of it like this, to do better in arena, you need to spend crystals to get higher. You earn more crystals. Cyclical. Now you factor in the "high school" click mentality of you're not part of the cool kids table (top of shard chat and colluding conspiracy) you don't get to place higher because our friends don't like you and we don't like you either.
  • lol yeah totally. I read a post on here a while back where someone was feeling bullied in a shard chat because they attacked someone that maybe they shouldn't have but it was either that or they couldn't move up. Now they want to leave the chat but daren't for fear of retribution. If that's the attitude at the top they can keep it.
    I'm a more guild focused player that's in it for the fun of the game, being dictated as to when and who I can or can't attack is not for me.
  • DarthJelly wrote: »
    lol yeah totally. I read a post on here a while back where someone was feeling bullied in a shard chat because they attacked someone that maybe they shouldn't have but it was either that or they couldn't move up. Now they want to leave the chat but daren't for fear of retribution. If that's the attitude at the top they can keep it.
    I'm a more guild focused player that's in it for the fun of the game, being dictated as to when and who I can or can't attack is not for me.

The guild stuff is more fun, especially beating Hsith, or team building stuff. I simply loath arena.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I don’t recall the arenas ever being fun. Basically it’s meta shift, fight the same team. Meta shift, fight the new same team. Meta shift.... so it’s boring because it’s the same 5 on 5 format every day, against the same people and teams. The only variety comes from a meta shift. Personally if I didn’t have to do arena battles for daily or achievements, I’d avoid it like the plague. I know, crystals! One can actually play the game and NOT use them.

You don’t have to do them though. You can just enter and forfeit, or toss it on auto and put it down. I guess if you’re trying to get that 10k arena wins achievement in like 5 more years you have to try to win them but... that seems like a pretty strange thing to care about if you hate arena that much.