Third Party sites - not going to name any specifically

We had a member in our guild recently who at the start of a Territory War asked why our leadership wasn't using another third party site to look up what our opponents had. This guild member pointed to a site where players can register and the site creates a profile for them and makes their personal Inventory publicly accessible. Our guild leaders looked but only a couple of the opponents were on there.
At this point, our guild member said that this meant the enemy guild were "amateurs".

Nobody followed his logic.

You sign up to this site and it allows other players in rival guilds to look at your Inventories and the people who DON'T use this feature are the "amateurs"?

What possible bonus do sites like these provide that makes you an "amateur" if you don't use it? I don't get why the mainstream / popular opinion seems to be that you have to sign up to these sites and it's a bad thing to not do so.

Replies

• I’m assuming you’re talking about swgoh.gg

Some people have one, some don’t. However, it makes guild recruitment and keeping track of guild mates a lot easier (I.e. if someone in the guild is asking for tips)
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Because the advantage of oragnization outweights the "spy" possibility. On mid-range to high lvl TW you know anyway what territories you gonna face (Revan/Bastila, BH, FO, NS+Nest, Scoundrels, etc).

A guild that is afraid of getting "spied" on their individual teams (f.e. if the players avg. GP is like 1.5mio and they can only bring up like 2-3 solid teams for def) then organizing for the HSR is way more important.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • For a long time there wasn’t any mod management in the game, so I think people got used to using .gg for a lot of things.
  • Also, before mod management was improved in-game a few months ago, SWGOH.gg was really the only way you could stay on top of all your mods. It’s probably less necessary now than it used to be for individual players, but most high level guilds still want their members to be signed up because it’s easier to track players’ progress there than in-game.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • ThePenguin77
    186 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Basically all the good players have an account there because it helps you organise so much stuff. No offence to you but it looks like your guild is also filled "amateurs" ;)

There are also bunch of sites that suggest the best modding options for all characters, teams for each phase of all possible raids or explained in detail how each debuff/buff works.
  • Thank you for all the answers but I remain unconvinced. I don't see the site as offering anything that can't be managed in game. Especially if the main attraction was mod management which can now be done effectively in game.

And just for the record, I honestly don't remember the last time our guild lost a Territory War. :smile: So if that's what can be managed by "amateurs", I'm happy with that!
  • Then there’s the difference. A lot of guilds and their officers see the advantages swgoh.gg provides over in game organization.
  • You can calculate what gear is needed for each gear level for any character, how hard they are to gear, etc.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    You can calculate what gear is needed for each gear level for any character, how hard they are to gear, etc.

You can do that without signing up. The information is available to anybody.
  • Main use cases I've seen for it are newbies sharing roster info to get help on the forums and finding fleet shardmates to invite to chat. It's also sometimes interesting to see what other folks have.
  • Stenun wrote: »
    Thank you for all the answers but I remain unconvinced. I don't see the site as offering anything that can't be managed in game. Especially if the main attraction was mod management which can now be done effectively in game.

And just for the record, I honestly don't remember the last time our guild lost a Territory War. :smile: So if that's what can be managed by "amateurs", I'm happy with that!

@Stenun how do you get on in TB? Our guild use swgoh.gg to help us identify efficient platoon filling. Without it we’d be lost in phases 4-6, potentially wasting toons in platoons we cannot fill (we are 45* LS, 47* DS). We have reached the stage where we NEVER put a toon in an unfillable platoon. Can you do that in game?

How about planning for these crazy bonuses in TW? We set up a squad template to see who could make use of the clones bonuses, the Jawa bonuses etc. Can you do that in game?

When we were building for HSTR (8 months ago now) we again used the squad template to help everyone get the JTR teams and phase 2 teams ready that got us over the line. Can that be done in game?

Sometimes the wisdom of the crowd should be followed. Virtually all the top end guilds will have 50/50 members signed up. There’s a reason for that.
  • I see more advantage to TB than TW. When we start a new phase, our TB officer uses .gg to search the guild roster for each needed toon for platoons. Then she knows if we can fill all or only some platoons and we dont waste toons by placing them in a platoon we can't fill. And since she knows who has each specific toon she can tag them in discord so they can place it right away and we can fill platoons and move onto running the missions.

It's far more effective then trying to remember who has which toon at which star level or just blindly waiting to see what you can fill.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited February 2019
  • In the near future, .gg is going to display all users from all guilds whether you are registered on the site or not, so it won't matter.
  • Prosser wrote: »
    I see more advantage to TB than TW. When we start a new phase, our TB officer uses .gg to search the guild roster for each needed toon for platoons. Then she knows if we can fill all or only some platoons and we dont waste toons by placing them in a platoon we can't fill. And since she knows who has each specific toon she can tag them in discord so they can place it right away and we can fill platoons and move onto running the missions.

It's far more effective then trying to remember who has which toon at which star level or just blindly waiting to see what you can fill.

That seems like hard work,we use a bot called Echobot for TB phases and it's making our world a whole lot easier. Try it
  • Given there are discord bots that can access the publicly facing roster info of whole guilds without relying on swgoh.gg the spying issue is completely moot. On the flipside, TB planning etc. can be done with bots that don't rely on swgoh.gg. So if you have access to the discord bots then use of the site becomes an individual choice at the end of the day.

I am signed up as it lets me use a few other useful tools that rely on having an account there to function. And if your guild management prefer the tools that make used of swgoh.gg (which is the case for most older/bigger guilds) then it's pretty normal to see 50/50 accounts signed up.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    There are discord bots that can tell you everything you need to know about the enemy guild. So signing up to discord basically only has advantages since other guilds can "spy" anyway.
    One could even call guilds that don't know about those bots "amateurs" ;)
    Joking aside, it's still a usefull site for guild management (which does require everyone to sign up for it to work properly atm). That some guilds who don't know about the bots, but do know about swgoh.gg can "spy" on you probably isn't going to affect the outcome of TWs negatively.
    edit: the guy above me posted while i was typing this comment. Great points ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • We use both SWGOH.gg and Discord bots to help manage TW and TB. It’s nice to know if our opponents have key characters like Revan so we can plann if we will be more offensive or defensive. Also interesting to see comparisons of how many G12, zetas, and speed mods we have. It doesn’t change a lot of strategy for us, but it’s fun when we beat guilds that seem to be better equipped than we are.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Yep all top end guilds are in swgoh and all use Discord bots. If you think you are getting an advantage by seeing my roster but me not seeing yours well game on lol. I have yet to fight a top end guild that doesn’t use swgoh or Discord.
    Welcome to the big leagues.
  • One really good feature of Swgoh.gg is that you can make squads templates to easily identify where your guild stands on certain heroes.

You also have a nice resource for looking at your guilds zetas.

While you don’t need Swgoh.gg, your administration workload can be significantly reduced by using it.
  • The only feature that is really only available on swgoh.gg that I am aware of is arena tracking.

Everything else can be gotten from one Discord bot or another, but your choice in Discord bots will be limited if your guild isn't signed up for swgoh.gg.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Yeah Administration
    Screen Shots of how awesome you are.
    Easy gear checklists.
    Easy to check top speeds of everything in one area.

To the guy saying "only Amateurs" would let the other guild know exactly what they are facing....my reply would be...who cares even if you know what we have you still won't beat us.. In fact being on that site probably allows your guild officers the freedom not to have to worry about planning when they see the devastation that coming..

heh it's like the shard chat post on that other place people read stuff...the guy who runs around the basement ruling a shard chat like a real life dictator....like OMG people.... worrying about little things like giving away your stats when there is NO valid ship content in the game...

It's the best thing ever going into grand area clicking enter, checking the matchup stats immediatly knowing I'm not setting a defense come back 3 days later collect my 10 carbantis
  • Also, there are discord bots that can pull all guild info directly from the game now I believe, so at higher levels being signed up on an exterior site or not, you'll be spied on and the bot prints out a full comparison of the top teams, mods, speeds, arena ranks, etc. So no reason not to use swgoh.gg for roster reviews and growth advice
  • Yes if youre not using swgoh.gg you are amateurs. And if the group of you didnt follow his logic it means youre in a guild that is going to be mediocre until disbandment.